5.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than A Camera Case
Published on May 28, 2010 by frankp93

3.0 out of 5 stars big inside
the bad news
the out side pocket, i cant fit my 15" laptop.. not even close you could fit an ipad though... but that's about it

the good news
! very light and easy to move around with.
carried it on a hike hardly felt it was there with a ton of my camera stuff in it.
straps are nice and easy to use..
i would buy it again, just knowing i...
Published 20 months ago by scubadiver88

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Much More Than A Camera Case, May 28, 2010
frankp93 "frankp93" (Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW DSLR Backpack (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Ok, so I'm not a globe-trotting paparazzi off to Paris on a moment's notice to snap Lindsay Lohan's latest debauchery. Truth be told I was looking for a mid-sized backpack for day trips to the city so I could retire my, um, 20+ year old shoulder bag I'm told is beyond gross just because the zippers are all broken, the lining is shredded and caked with years of snack detritus, receipts, mail fragments, not to mention hidden compartments too scary to risk ever cleaning out.

I say it's got character and they don't make `em like that anymore.
(They really don't or I would have bought another)

I do however own a camera and sundry digital gear and the Lowepro Pro Runner is pleasantly much larger and roomier than I expected, extremely well-designed, and well-made ("Invented in California,. Fabricated in China" (Ed. Note: Kinda like Apple I might add).

No one can accuse me of being a trendy when it comes to this stuff, but some of the features on this backpack really impressed me, at least compared to the last backpack I bought sometime after the "sports bag" craze of the late 70's.

Most notable and useful are the completely configurable Velcro dividers that partition the main compartment into rows of cubby-hole spaces. I can detach all of them if I want and have plenty of room to safely store my bulky, 10-year old laptop with room to spare for, you know, snacks, receipts, etc. Yes, the dividers are designed to accommodate a DSLR camera, extra lenses, a small tripod, etc. But they can be resized to handle countless variations on whatever "stuff" you're unwilling to leave home without or always find yourself picking up along the way.

There's a shallow zipped front pouch for holding "keep handy" things like phone, music player, memory cards, batteries, notebooks (paper-ones), etc.

The zippers are protected with narrow flaps that can be rolled over to cover or expose - a nice touch.

At the bottom of the pack is a well thought out two-sided pouch containing on one side a pullout support for an external tripod and on the other - check this out - an all-weather cover you pull out and over the entire pack to shield it from the elements (I assume this means the main pack fabric is durable but not water-resistant). It's like having a built-in umbrella, very cool.

The side of the pack that contacts your back has terrific lumbar support, fully adjustable and padded arm loops, and an adjustable waist belt. Fasteners are all those extra-durable snap and squeeze connector things. Empty, the pack itself feels extremely light for its size.

If Lowepro doesn't already they should cross-market these; you really don't have to carry camera stuff in them.

My Lowepro backpack is matte black, with a stylish profile. It just feels like a solid product from a company that's been doing it for over 40 years.

I think I'll have to say goodbye to my 20+ year old shoulder bag (or else keep it in the closet upstairs, just in case...).

4.0 out of 5 stars Holds it all, May 27, 2010
Schwartz (Port Allegany, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This bag has many features that should store and protect your camera gear nicely.

Looking around the outside you find that the back padded with a vented mesh to help on those hot days when you are toting you gear around. The shoulder straps have a buckling cross strap that you can fasten to keep then from sliding off of you in the event of rigorous movements. The sides of the bag have compression straps that you can adjust to your liking and littered around the bag are points that you can slide things into that have their own clips. There is also a large zippered pocket on the outside that opens to provide storage for quick access items. There is a tripod carrying system, rain bonnet, and waist strap that all stow in hidden compartments until needed.

On the inside there are compartments for your gear that are made of padded sections with velcro flaps. You can pull these out and configure them as you like. This works out very well. I was able to put my DSLR and lenses along with my HD video camera and accessories in spaces that were custom fit by moving things around. The back flap has storage for memory cards, manuals, and whatever else you may want to store as well.

The bags structure provides padding for normal use but I would not use the bag for extremely rough use or put anything heavy on top of it as it is not rigid enough to provide that type of protection. Overall I would say this looks to be a nice bag that will safely store your gear for everyday general use.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid product, May 25, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
UPDATE: Some great pictures and feature specifications can be found [..]

According to the attached manual, this backpack can store:
1) DSLR with attached lens (up to 70-200mm f/2.8)
2) plus 3-4 lenses/flash and accessories
3) tripod or monopod
4) personal items

This is the size of most carry-ons measuring:
11.2W x 4.5D x15.2H in
28.3W x11.5D x38.5H cm

I like that it has a padded mesh backpad that helps with airflow for sweat.
The inside has your standard adjustable padded dividers that allow you to customize to your equipment.
The sides seemed padded enough, but where the back of the backpack zips closed around the camera section, I felt the thickness left something wanting for anything that may strike the rear of the pack or if dropped on the backside of the pack.

There are little pockets for memory sticks and other side pockets for whatnots.
The waterproof cover is stowed in the bottom of the back and folds back up quit the same into it's little space. I would have preferred a zippered area vs a Velcro for storing the weather protector.

I like the vertical tripod carrying on this better than the Fastpack 350 by Lowepro, which makes your tripod stick out at the sides. The vertical holder is a better improvement.

OVERALL:
This should meet most people's needs, especially when traveling and not wanting to let their investment in equipment out of their sight. I looked at a few other models made by Lowepro and they all have pretty good ratings. Thus I don't think anyone can really go wrong here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Backpack!!, June 14, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This backpack delivers a compact solution for photographers who carry their gear around with them. This bag can fit a camera, a tripod and other accessories, plus a few personal items, like an MP3 player and cell phone. The interior is full padded and it has an all weather exterior which is great for Florida rains! Aside from the stuff I already metioned the Pro Runner 300 AW has side compression straps with quick-release buckles; a place to hide your tripod; rainflap lids; mesh side pockets; memory card pockets on inside lid; padded mesh backpad; adjustable and padded shoulder straps; webbing grab handle. This bag can hold your SLR with an attached lens up to 200 mm plus 3-4 lenses, a flash,tripod or monopod and several personal items. How can you go wrong with this bag? It is great in my opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is One Phenomenal Backpack, July 27, 2013
11/29/2014: I thought I would update my original review, as I have now used this backpack on several occasions, including a 7 day photography workshop in the Grand Tetons and a 7 day photography workshop on the coast of Maine. It has also accompanied me on several visits to the zoo, hikes, and other photography journeys. The bag will hold a lot of equipment. I stow it on the ground on a frequent basis. It is rugged and shows little (if any) wear and tear. I have carried it on airplanes both jetliners and regional jets and have been able to stow it on board. I do pack the tripod in a suitcase when I'm flying as it is just too awkward to handle on board with the tripod attached to the bag. This is just an excellent backpack for camera equipment.

Original Review: I am preparing for a September trip to Wyoming for a week long photography class and wanted a backpack that I could use to transport my camera equipment, including my tripod. At a friend's recommendation, I ordered this backpack. It is phenomenal. By using the ability to remove/move around velcro dividers, I was able to make space for two Nikon camera bodies (D300 and D800E) with attached lens, along with a speed flash, battery charger, several additional lenses. My Manfrotto tripod fit in the tripod pocket. There's also storage for memory cards, batteries and other miscellaneous items. A 15" laptop would fit in the section of the backpack that is desiganed to hold cards, pens, your phone (or mp3 player). Good support for the back. This is PERFECT for taking expensive camera equipment through the airport. (I'll pack the tripod, however.) It should be similarly perfect for hiking during photography school.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect backpack!, July 24, 2013
D. K. Butler (Wyndmoor, PA USA) - See all my reviews
Having previously tried the Lowepro Pro Runner 350 AW DSLR Backpack (Black) and found it too large for my needs, I replaced it with the Pro Runner 300. In a word, this backpack is perfect! It easily holds my DSLR, two lenses, flash, and miscellaneous accessories, with room left over to stash snacks, rain jacket, etc. The separators inside can be re-configured as needed to fit your equipment. There is no laptop compartment, but I prefer to carry mine separately anyway.

The backpack's padding was inadvertantly tested on a recent trip. When I opened the tailgate of our SUV, the bag promptly fell out on the ground, having shifted during transit. Upon inspection, all of the equipment inside was in perfect condition, and still stowed in its compartments.

The Pro Runner 300 fits my back perfectly, and the shoulder straps are amply padded. The chest and waist straps help keep it in place during rough hikes. It does not feel heavy or bulky, even when fully loaded. Like my previous Lowepro bags, the construction quality is excellent. Overall, this is an superb backpack that I can highly recommend to all amateur photographers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection for my camera, May 21, 2013
This bag is easy to carry. The straps are adjustable and comfortable and it has plenty of places I can pick it up or take hold of it to move it around to where I can then pick it up. It also has plenty of space to carry other things shuch as notebooks and pencils etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars big inside, April 5, 2013
the bad news

the good news
! very light and easy to move around with.
straps are nice and easy to use..
i would buy it again, just knowing i could not fit my laptop bummed me out is all.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars - Here's what it holds for me., October 9, 2014
Nick (Kansas City) - See all my reviews
I won't repeat what everybody else has said. It's a 5 star bag, tough, durable, and easily to access items. I'm posting my gear to help others gauge the size to see if it'll work for them. This does not include the front pocket or inside pocket.

Canon 6D with Battery grip
Canon T2i with Grip
Canon 16-35 F/4
Canon 24-105 F/4
Sigma 70-200 F/2.8

With these 5 items the bag is essentially full. You could likely fit another small lens, meaning 50mm f/1.8 or smaller. The Pouches are good for excess batteries, memory cards, manuals etc. Speaking of memory cards, the 2 dedicated area are too big for SD cards, yes they fit but they'll be loose. I'd highly recommend picking up the Pelican SD Card Case and throw them in the inside pocket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, yet highly functional, August 9, 2010
Menthol Rum (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First of all , it's a great backpack camera case. Thoughtful in its design and well made, the quality is obvious throughout. The rain cover is a nice touch. It is comfortable and fits all the lenses and camera for the new Cannon 5D. For professional use, this bag has it all. Easy to carry, loads of storage pockets and ability to hang cables off the side, carry a tripod, etc. Load this up with your camera needs and personal effects and you're ready to go. You can't go wrong with the Lowe Pro Runner 300.

I am very happy with its performance over the past few months and it's an amazing backpack that I use almost every day!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW DSLR Backpack (Black)
$199.99 $118.99