Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lowepro Pro Runner 300 AW DSLR Backpack (Black)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Model Number: LP36142|Change

VINE VOICEon October 2, 2010
Model Number: LP36145|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Sturdy, well designed with lots of interior configurations, fits in an overhead bin, a tank of a camera bag/backpack -- pros and cons follow.

PROS
- Design: Very thoughtfully laid out, convenient to use, with every detail accounted for. Especially like the waterproof cover built into the bottom of the bag that's easily accessed in a sudden downpour, and the built-in sideways camera sleeve located near the back. Great organizer front pocket for travel documents and personal items. All the pockets and build-ins remind me of Eagle Creek luggage, which I absolutely love.
- Protectiveness: Your gear is completely covered in this thing.
- Versatility: The internal padded dividers can be adjusted to conform to your lenses and accessories. Waterproof inside pockets for memory cards and other small items. Or you can remove the interior dividers altogether and use this as a backpack for short trips.
- Build quality: This is solidly constructed, and should last for years.

CONS
- Bulky: It's fairly big for a smaller framed person. I'm 5'4", and look slightly overwhelmed by this backpack. It's not heavy though (6 lbs), and it's comfortable to carry, thanks to the very padded, adjustable straps.
- Looks: Not bad-looking, but a bit generic for those of us who like colorful bags.
review image review image review image review image review image
Model Number: LP36145|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
One word describes this Backpack: "Capacious".

This line of DSLR backpacks represents the Flagship of Lowepro's urban adventurer.

CONSTRUCTION

The Lowepro Pro Runner 450 AW DSLR backpack is constructed of durable black 600d Polyester on its exterior and 210d Nylon PU Velex in its interior. The difference between this and its cousin, the 350 AW, is the larger capacity for longer lenses (300 mm versus 70-200 mm), more accessories(4 to 6 versus 3 to 4), and a larger widescreen laptop (17" versus 15.4"). AW stands for All Weather.

Carrying methods are flexible: conventional backpack carry, side carry and top carry. A durable feeling rubber grip on the side and top is comfortable. This facilitates easy navigation through customs, airport security and through busy terminals. The shoulder straps are padded, and the weight distribution is eased by the chest and waist straps. The weight of the bag without equipment is 6 pounds.

VERSATILITY

This bag is very big but it will still fit into an overhead compartment on an airplane (under current standards, May 2010): 13.4W X 11.4D X 19.9H in (Exterior). There is even an internal padded compartment for a notebook: 12.2W X 1.8D X 15.6H in and this fits my 15.4" Macbook Pro comfortably. It is located along the left side of the pack (when it is on your back) secured by a zipper.

The interior is subdivided with compartments that can be adjusted with padded dividers fastened by Velcro. The dividers are completely removable which allows me to use this as a convenient overnight bag, also. There is surrounding padded on the top, sides and bottom of the backpack's housing. It is up to your imagination to what configuration best suits the weight distribution of your valuables. This will fit a full sized SLR with a 300 mm lens. Depending upon the lenses that you carry, this will accommodate for 4 to 6 lenses/external flash/handheld meter/other accessories. What attracted me, also, was the ability to carry a compact sized tripod when traveling. An all weather cover is included, to protect your valuable equipment from rain. A padded mesh backpad facilitates the comfort of carrying. Zipper closure is augmented with a snap buckle closure.

The front pocket has a space for a small foldable poncho or rolled up T-shirt/gym shorts. The small pocket for passports is about 11 inches tall and about 4.5 inches wide. There is a small clip to hold keys. 2 four inch wide flat compartments for small items, a Velcro secured pouch, and a legal sized pocket for folders or magazines. The All Weather Cover is secured in the bottom of the front flap by Velcro. The nylon cover with elastic sides is sewn to the inner compartment, minimizing the chance for losing it. The quick release helps for covering the valuables in less than 15 seconds.

The inner pocket has plastic lined compartments secured by zippers. There are two padded pockets secured by Velcro to store memory cards.

The versatility of this bag is that there are so many pockets that allow for the user to have complete organization for travel. An outside pocket for documents such as tickets, passports and rental information can be stored. This is Sliplock compatible for adding additional items to the bag.

USE

For those who are ambitious enough to carry every accessory, this can be a heavy backpack. However, the generous padding does alleviate the weight very well.

PROs

Versatile
Extensively padded (inside and out)
Completely adjustable shoulder straps
Many compartments
Weather resistant with All Weather Cover
Shock resistant (light bumps)
Comfortable
Can be used as an overnight backpack
Travel compliant
Sturdy

CONs

Large (may not suit smaller framed individuals)
Heavy 6 pounds (even heavier if you put all equipment, notebook and extraneous items > 50 lbs)
No integrated wheels

CONCLUSION

If you have to pack it all, this is the best way to go. It is comfortable, versatile and resistant to the elements of water and light bumps from traveling.

Two thumbs up.
VINE VOICEon June 23, 2010
Model Number: LP36147|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have a SLR camera with some large lenses, a flash, a laptop and all the other accessories that go with this set up, then you have a lot of equipment to carry around. Typically camera backpacks come in small, medium and large sizes. This is the large model, from Lowepro, a respected maker of camera bags.

I evaluated this bag for a long overseas trip with a lot of photographic equipment. The challenge is to get all the equipment to the destination and then be in a position to carry it from photo-op to photo-op. These goals are contradictory. A big bag will let you take all your things by plane or car but then is impractical in the field. This bag, therefore, is to transport all your equipment where you are going. After that, switch to a smaller bag and only carry selected items. Alternatively, see if you can make do with a medium-sized, dual purpose bag.

Pros
Spacious: probably big enough to fit all your stuff in one bag. Will accommodate one pro DSLR with large lens or two smaller DSLRs and accessories, including medium laptop.
Has wheels.
Tripod mount.
Will fit in most big airplane overhead compartments. Not in the small planes, though.
Sturdy construction, but light for its size.
Padded straps for backpacking

Cons:
Big: If you can manage with a smaller bag you should. This one is hard to maneuver in crowded spaces. Also do not imagine you will be backpacking with it. Even if the weight is not an issue, the bulk and square profile is.

In summary, I would use the Lowepro ProRunner 450 AW to carry all my photographic equipment in one bag as carry on luggage on an airplane or in a car. If real walking, hiking or crowded places are anticipated I would eliminate some stuff and use a smaller bag.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon June 13, 2010
Model Number: LP36145|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you have some serious camera gear that cost you hundreds of dollars then this pack is a steal. Let's start with the outside. It's app. 19" tall, 13" wide and 9" deep. The pack has 3 ways to carry it; two rubber handles, one on the top and one on the side, and thickly padded shoulder straps. There is a well padded mesh backing to wick away moisture from your back. The pack also has a rain flap lid, so if you get caught in foul weather you just pull out the rain cover and you're good to go, side compression straps, slip lock attachment loops, tuck away padded waist belt, mesh side pocket, a zippered pouch in front, straps to hold your tripod, and last but not least a padded laptop compartment that's next to your back.

When you unzip the front flap you will find pockets for your cell phone, MP3 player, pens, keys, documents and other small items. Opening up the main compartment, you will find 13 compartments that are all adjustable. You can remove the shelving to make them taller or shorter depending on your needs. All the compartments are well padded, so there is no fear of any damage to your equipment. Even the front flap has compartments.

This pack is also designed to take on an airplane, but with all the equipment that you can store in this pack it might take you a little while to get through security.

I can also see other uses for this backpack. If you are into research where you needed to pack out into the wilds and bring back samples of say soil or water, the padded compartments would protect your samples.

This is a very well thought out and constructed pack and I believe you would not be disappointed in owning this.
on June 16, 2010
I have had many good Lowepro camera bags over the years and was looking forward to a rolling bag that would save my need to add a luggage cart to my large backpack going through airports. This roller surprised me with how heavy the bag was empty, right out of the shipping box. Nonetheless, I decided to give it its due and transfer my equipment from my Lowepro backpack into this roller, and was immediately frustrated by the lack of nooks and crannies built into the roller. The backpack actually has more room and more innovative ways of storage than this overweight, under thought through cousin. There are so many design flaws that after a couple of days of dragging it around the house to see if I was being too finicky, I happily reloaded my backpack, and returned this overpriced, overweight, overnight bag. Sorry Lowepro, you need to rework this one completely. On a separate note, something I thought Lowepro would have figured out in this newer than my backpack model, Lowepro - the two little "pockets" are too small for actually holding my stash of digital media cards. A photographer carries more than two, and Nikon uses larger media than you have accounted for.
on March 22, 2014
As roomy as it gets, this big is huge! Surprisingly doesn't have as many accessories pockets as my smaller Tamrac 5587 Expedition 7X.
I wanted a bag that I could carry most of my main gear on the train, but because of back issues, I decided carrying my gear as a backpack wouldn't work anymore. I've been looking at this LowePro X450 and the X350 for better part of a year, but because of some upcoming travels, I decided to go ahead and make the purchase. The price has come down on the LowePro Backpacks so the price was right also, and with my Prime account the bag was here in only a few days.

Again this is a huge bag, and like others have said, it's spacious but bulky. The bulky part comes from trying to design a bag to hold the maximum amount of gear. I can hold my Canon 5d Mk III with a Canon 300 2.8L attached with Hood(flipped around), my Canon 7D, a Canon 70-200mm 2.8L and a Canon 24-70 2.8L and 2 flashes with room to spare, so when we all say spacious we mean it. This bag also comes with pockets lining the upper flap of the bag, and a single accessory pocket on the front left side of the big. Not a HUGE number of accessory pockets, at least not for a bag this size, but still has plenty of room for filters, batteries, and other camera needs. Plenty of buckles tighten up the bag, and hang things like your tripod or monopod. Because this version of the bag is the X450 it comes with roller wheels, so you can roll the big instead of having the need to carry it. The bag is also a backpack and comes with a 5 point adjustable pad, so you can carry it with some comfort. I can't see anyone hiking with this massive bag, but is perfect for carrying it on and off a train.

The wheels appear to be of high grade, though I did find that because of the small size(of the wheels), the underside of the bag can rub against the floor or carpet, if the bag is full. The nicely crafted push button trolley handle is spring loaded, and extends out more than enough for any normal size user. I'm 6'2" and I have no issues with the length the trolley handle extends out.
The bag is a LowePro deluxe bag, so it also comes with a excellent all-weather cover that can cover the attire bag for rainy days. You can find that feature at the lower part of the bag, just pull back the flap and pull the rain cover out.
One other neat feature it comes with is a excellent padded laptop sleeve that will fit any laptop up to 15.4" neatly in a slot in the top of the bag. I personally pulled that out and use that area to store my cables and camera rain gear, but it is an excellent feature and the sleeve is a nice touch.

One con of this bag, and could be a big one is the fact the zippers, though of high quality, don't have security options so you can lock the big flap where the camera gear is stored. There is no option there. I've attached heavy key rings to each of the main zippers so I can use some form of security lock with it, but not a perfect solution. With a bag of this stature, it should have come with something to lock the main part of the bag.
I'm sure I could talk about many more neat features, but I think you get the gist of this bag; to recap:

PROs
Huge, spacious, room
It's a roller, so this big bag can move!
Well designed, everything tucks away nicely
Shoulder pads, nice padded shoulder pads that can tuck away also

CONs
May be too big for some
Really can't be used for comfortable backpacking
Smallish but well-designed wheels
No security option
on February 18, 2011
I got the black version which is much cheaper, below $50 and I couldn't be happier. I had been searching for the good backpack that is not big and doesn't look serious, high quality to protect my gears and not breaking the bank and it's the pro runner 200. There are many good camera backpack out there but I don't need the laptop compartment which make the bag heavier and big. I just want something simple to keep my gears padded at home and carry around from one place to another.
I am able to fit: Canon 60D, Sigma 50 f1.4, 85mm f1.8, 70-200F4 IS and Metz 54Mz-4i and lens hoods. I will post the picture when Amazon lets me. As someone already mentioned in his review, it doesn't have room for lens with lens hood attached so I have to leave one for all the lens hoods and flash diffuser. I am lucky that the lens hoods are in different size so I can stack them together. Other good two candidates are the Amazon basic backpack and Canon and both are under $40. However, I read many people reviews complained about the quality so I rather not get it.
Pro:
- Looks better in real life than in the picture.
- Good built quality
- Tripod mount
- Weather protection cover

Con
- The two long dividers are a bit too long so there is not much room for DSLR body, very tight.

I wished it was a bit larger for one or two more lenses because I am going to get more later. The next version is pro runner 300 which is $120. If LowePro had a ProRunner 250 then it'd be perfect. If you have set up like mine then I strongly recommend it.

Update 2/19/2011
I just uploaded the picture with my stuffs in it so you know how much space you can get with this bag. I want to add that this backpack is not very comfortable to wear for a long strip although it's not big. The strap design is not good, a bit far apart and it doesn't wrap your shoulder comfortably. To me, it would be perfect if it was bit longer and narrower at the top as you see in many student backpacks and it would be more room for accessories.
review image
on April 6, 2014
I purchased this bag in 2011, have traveled with it, hiked with it and even used it as a carryon on airplanes and it has served me well. My only complaint is that after one half of the sternum strap fell off, I have been unable to get a response from LowePro/ Daymen after sending three emails. Not having the sternum strap makes using the bag more uncomfortable, especially with heavier loads. Not sure if it was a good design to make this part a clip on, it does make it susceptible to loss. Most of all, the bag comes with a lifetime warranty, which is great if you can reach their customer support. So, overall, the bag is 5 stars, the customer support is zero stars.
VINE VOICEon May 28, 2010
Model Number: LP36142|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ok, so I'm not a globe-trotting paparazzi off to Paris on a moment's notice to snap Lindsay Lohan's latest debauchery. Truth be told I was looking for a mid-sized backpack for day trips to the city so I could retire my, um, 20+ year old shoulder bag I'm told is beyond gross just because the zippers are all broken, the lining is shredded and caked with years of snack detritus, receipts, mail fragments, not to mention hidden compartments too scary to risk ever cleaning out.

I say it's got character and they don't make `em like that anymore.
(They really don't or I would have bought another)

I do however own a camera and sundry digital gear and the Lowepro Pro Runner is pleasantly much larger and roomier than I expected, extremely well-designed, and well-made ("Invented in California,. Fabricated in China" (Ed. Note: Kinda like Apple I might add).

No one can accuse me of being a trendy when it comes to this stuff, but some of the features on this backpack really impressed me, at least compared to the last backpack I bought sometime after the "sports bag" craze of the late 70's.

Most notable and useful are the completely configurable Velcro dividers that partition the main compartment into rows of cubby-hole spaces. I can detach all of them if I want and have plenty of room to safely store my bulky, 10-year old laptop with room to spare for, you know, snacks, receipts, etc. Yes, the dividers are designed to accommodate a DSLR camera, extra lenses, a small tripod, etc. But they can be resized to handle countless variations on whatever "stuff" you're unwilling to leave home without or always find yourself picking up along the way.

There's a shallow zipped front pouch for holding "keep handy" things like phone, music player, memory cards, batteries, notebooks (paper-ones), etc.

The zippers are protected with narrow flaps that can be rolled over to cover or expose - a nice touch.

At the bottom of the pack is a well thought out two-sided pouch containing on one side a pullout support for an external tripod and on the other - check this out - an all-weather cover you pull out and over the entire pack to shield it from the elements (I assume this means the main pack fabric is durable but not water-resistant). It's like having a built-in umbrella, very cool.

The side of the pack that contacts your back has terrific lumbar support, fully adjustable and padded arm loops, and an adjustable waist belt. Fasteners are all those extra-durable snap and squeeze connector things. Empty, the pack itself feels extremely light for its size.

If Lowepro doesn't already they should cross-market these; you really don't have to carry camera stuff in them.

My Lowepro backpack is matte black, with a stylish profile. It just feels like a solid product from a company that's been doing it for over 40 years.

I think I'll have to say goodbye to my 20+ year old shoulder bag (or else keep it in the closet upstairs, just in case...).
VINE VOICEon May 27, 2010
Model Number: LP36142|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This bag has many features that should store and protect your camera gear nicely.

Looking around the outside you find that the back padded with a vented mesh to help on those hot days when you are toting you gear around. The shoulder straps have a buckling cross strap that you can fasten to keep then from sliding off of you in the event of rigorous movements. The sides of the bag have compression straps that you can adjust to your liking and littered around the bag are points that you can slide things into that have their own clips. There is also a large zippered pocket on the outside that opens to provide storage for quick access items. There is a tripod carrying system, rain bonnet, and waist strap that all stow in hidden compartments until needed.

On the inside there are compartments for your gear that are made of padded sections with velcro flaps. You can pull these out and configure them as you like. This works out very well. I was able to put my DSLR and lenses along with my HD video camera and accessories in spaces that were custom fit by moving things around. The back flap has storage for memory cards, manuals, and whatever else you may want to store as well.

The bags structure provides padding for normal use but I would not use the bag for extremely rough use or put anything heavy on top of it as it is not rigid enough to provide that type of protection. Overall I would say this looks to be a nice bag that will safely store your gear for everyday general use.