5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Bag
Published on January 31, 2006 by Optics Planet Wripped Me Off

I'm a beginner/amateur, and I have been using this bag since January. The pluses are the nylon water shield, and the reverse opening. The innards however are not friendly to anything more than a body w/ lens attached, one spare lens, and MAYBE a (small) flash...but anything more than that will be cumbersome because of the limited flexibility of the velcro panels...
Published on April 2, 2010 by Ed Artiste

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Bag, January 31, 2006
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
I was looking for a small bag that I could use on day trips or hikes. I did not want a huge bag to keep all my lenses and accessories. This is perfect for my needs. I have a Konica Minolta 5D with a 28-75 f2.8 lens attached, along with a 18-70 and a 70-210. I can fit the camera, lenses, my battery charger, and various cables. The lenses fit with their hoods on backwards. There are a couple of small pouches to keep extra battery and cards. Two features I really like: 1) the micro fiber cloth that lies across the camera's lcd to protect it from scratches and 2) the top of the bag opens from the back for quick access to the camera.

Small enough to carry all day, big enough to fit the essentials needed for a great day of shooting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I used this with my Nikon D80, March 30, 2009
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
I bought the smaller 160AW, but it can't fit all my gear. So I bought the 170AW as well.

It is about 2" taller, otherwise it's exactly the same bag as the 160AW. I was able to fit the following items in the 170 AW.

- D80 Body with 18-55mm lens attached (I can also fit it with my 55-200 lens attached, but it's real snug)

- 55-200mm lens with hood removed and slide on the lens body reversed.

- SB 600 speedflah fully extended

- battery charger with electrical cord

- AV cable and remote

With that said, I still have enough room for another battery and a few more accesories.

With the 160AW bag, i could only fit the body with either lens attached and the speed flash.

To sum it up, I wanted a bag that wasn't too wide like the Nikon Bag, but rather, tall and thin so I could use the shoulder strap around my body. I can easily walk around with this attached to my body and it's out of my way as i can push it towards my back. It work's great and pulling out the camera with the reveresd flap makes it a breeze. the bag itself has more features, but you can read about that from the other reviews : )

PS, the Nikon D40, D70 and D90 are all simular in size, so I would think you would find the same results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 17, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
This is a fantastic bag by lowepro. It's a blend of high-capacity and quick access holster styles. I can easily fit my D70s with 18-200mm telephoto (attached) and my SB-800 flash into the bag.

I at first thought the front flap was useless, but it actually exists to provide more waterproof coverage to the bag. When you deploy the All-weather (it's stowed in a velcro compartment at the bottom of the bag), it wraps around the bottom, up the sides, and over the top of the bag to provide water protection. Try it yourself. You'll find that the front flap provides protection where the All-weather cannot reach. Together the All-weather and front flap give 80% protection from the elements.

I think the All-weather sheath is a bit unnecessary. Lowepro should have invested a little more money into the bag and made it with waterproof materials rather than including the All-weather sheath.

Also, the strap the camera comes with is a bit squeaky. Luckily it can be detached and replaced with any other strap you own. Otherwise, the squeakiness would have driven me insane!

I still love this bag.

[...]%20AW,2008.htm (you can see the All-weather in action by viewing the images of the product here).

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but ultimately too small even for amatuers- which makes it bad., April 2, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)

I have the xsi with the kit lens/hood(attached), the 55-250 w/lens hood(reversed), and just purchased the 50mmm 1.8(no hood). The 50mm is what broke the camels back, as there is unfortunately no real mechanism to keep that small lens in place. I actually just wrote this review because i spent the last 2 hours trying to fit these 3 things in the bag- annoying, to say the least. Anything small and round like the 50mm will be an absolute pain to fit (or will be loose on top- no good), so i would suggest an external lens holder- which of course defeats the purpose of the bag. Forget about folded cables, its not happening. Another problem that comes up - if you end up needing a lens or so that is stuffed under another one, you will be taking out everything just to get to it, which can be hazardous if you are by yourself and there's limited flat space to put things down. This is with me having 2 extra dividers from another lowepro bag that a sales guy pulled from a model that was damaged, so mine is actually better set up than one that any of you will buy. Even right now, with compromise, the inner pocket pulls against my revered hood- extending the barrel if i take it out without using my other hand to force the bag wider. These is no zoom lock on this lens, so that's not something i want to keep happening. Be mindful.

So basically with only one extra lens and a small flash/charger, you will be fine. Anything more than that, honestly, get another bag that is wider by about 2 inches, with the same height. Smaller accessories like the batteries and such will fit in the side pockets just fine.

Oh, one last thing- if you have the battery grip, you wont be able to use this at all unless you like trying your luck. It will NOT stretch tall enough to fit, as you will not be able to close the bag. Thing is, that's next on my purchase list...sigh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Use it for lens and accessories, June 17, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
Nice comfortable bag, especially the strap. I use it carry three lenses (the Canon 70-200mm the largest), an external flash on the side pocket, an Epson P-2000 (front pocket) and graphic cards. Very useful this way for wedding photography and event gigs. Wish I had bought it on Amazon. I would have saved $20.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Bag, April 10, 2008
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
Really great bag to carry an SLR and 2-3 lenses. This is perfect for my Canon 40D, its 28-135 lens, wide angle zoom lens, and a macro lens. Accessories fit in too. I was a little confused as to whether it would fit the body and three lens until I received it. Don't worry, they'll fit unless you have huge lenses.

2.0 out of 5 stars Watch-out. Plastic parts will break on you., May 25, 2012
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
I bough this back 4 years ago. It worked great for a while until recently when the plastic connectors popped out and my bag fell 2 feet to the ground. It ended up busting my $800 lens and now I'm out $300 to fix it. If those parts didn't break it would be great. I haven't abused this bag at all. I was simply walking and the part popped and the bag fell. I have a more complete review that I did a few years ago on youtube. Look up the shuttersight photography review on this bag. I mention the popping part there as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Reverse-open Lid" Means: Manufactured wrong, but they try to spin the flaw as an asset., February 24, 2014
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
Why is there a big flap with a buckle closure? It looks like this flap was put on the wrong side of the bag at the factory. Then instead of fixing the ridiculous design flaw, Lowepro just changed the tags on the bags to say "Reverse-open lid!" As if that is a good thing? So the lid opens Reverse? So it works backwards from what you would expect? So it was designed incorrectly?

Normally when a camera bag has a flap like this it is to make it faster to get to your camera instead of having to unzip zippers every time you want to grab your camera for a quick shot. Lift the flap, grab camera, shoot, drop back in bag, flip the flap closed.. Then zip it up when not going to need to pull it out of your bag anytime soon.

They should just cut the flap off and the bag would be great. It would eliminate the confusion about what that flap is doing. It only covers a little pocket that fits maybe a charger/cable/card, that is already zipped closed anyway. So do you really need to leave that pocket unzipped with the flap over it for quicker access to your charger? No. A flap is for quick camera access and since this doesn't do that it seems to only be a part of this bag for looks. Why does a flap look good or seem to belong on a camera bag design Lowepro? Because most camera bags commonly have a flap, but it's a flap serving a function: quick access. This flap only hinders access to a pocket that doesn't need quick access anyway.

Also, the weatherproof cover that pulls out from the bottom needs 6 more inches of fabric to cover the whole bag. Another reviewer who was trying to find a reason for the random flap said one function of the flap was to keep that side waterproof while the cover went over the other side, but he was pulling the cover over the wrong side. When you try it a few times it becomes obvious. The cover comes from the bottom edge, wraps up and over the flap side. So I guess if you're wearing the bag over your shoulder in the rain with the cover on, the uncovered side is up against your body. So the design works well like that, but not if your bag is sitting on a table or the ground and it is raining.

Good bag for protecting a camera, but unnecessary design components (flap) make it cumbersome at times. Holds my NikonD3100 and batt charger fine, haven't carried additional lenses in it but I think 1 or 2 would fit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Bag, November 8, 2012
J. Silver (Philadelphia, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
Got this bag as a throw in when I bought my Nikon D5100 body. The bag seems to be well made & has plenty of room provided you don't have a ton of accessories. There is a small pouch with 2 very small pockets on the inside of the top cover with room for a extra battery & a couple of memory cards.

The main compartment is well padded & will hold your body with a decent size zoom. There is also enough room for another zoom or 2 smaller lenses. There is also a netted pocket on one end inside that will hold small accessories.

There is a large zippered compartment on the front of the bag with 3 smaller pockets inside. These pockets will hold a extra battery or memory cards but not much else. Would have been better to have 2 larger pockets instead. This zippered compartment is large enough to store an external flash, light meter, extra filters etc.. There is also a stretchy pocket on one of the outside ends.

Behind the outside zippered compartment is a pullout waterproof cover that covers most of the bag. Hard to imagine ever using this.

Finally I come to the front flap that covers the zippered compartment. I've read where this flap provides more waterproof coverage to the bag in conjunction with the above mentioned waterproof cover but unless you are out & about during the monsoon season this seems basically useless & quite annoying.

All in all a nice bag that would have received 5 stars if only the storage pockets were just a little larger

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bag, slightly odd design, March 24, 2006
This review is from: Lowepro Rezo 170 AW Camera Bag (Electronics)
I recently purchased a Nikon D50 and needed a bag to put it in. I wanted one that had room for future expansion (additional lenses and possibly a flash).

Currently I have the camera/18-70 lens, remote, charger and USB cable and there is plenty of room left for another larger lens like the 70-300.

The all-weather cover is a bonus but I am somewhat puzzled as to the function of the big flap on the outside. When you unsnap it, it doesn't reveal the main compartment of the bag like you'd expect. Instead, it just reveals a small secondary compartment. The main area of the bag is accessed by opening zippers AROUND the big flap. Kind of strange, but in the end everything works well enough that I'm still happy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›