5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 5:21 Mins
My review of the Lowepro 102 AW SlingShot
Published on May 18, 2010 by D. Cavanagh

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Small But Excellent Quality-Not for pro DSLR's (102 AW)
NOTE: Amazon has combined reviews for the 102, 202, and 302 together. Be sure you know which review you are reading. This review is for the 102 AW.

Published on July 8, 2011 by NyReckDiver

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Bag!, May 18, 2010
D. Cavanagh (Brooklyn, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Length:: 5:21 Mins

My review of the Lowepro 102 AW SlingShot

4.0 out of 5 stars Great design, but fairly small for most photographers and not the best design for women, April 3, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I pretty much have to agree with other reviews that talk about the small size of this bag. It's definitely quite limited in what it can carry....but it does work for me in some situations. It *does* hold my Canon 40D with Tamron 18-270mm super-zoom attached along with my 540EX flash and a extra 50mm lens, so would be a reasonable bag for me to use on trips when I am not able to bring a selection of lenses with me. I am not a person that can carry much equipment with me in the field due to physical problems, so I really need a bag that is comfortable and can handle at least this amount of equipment. I do wish the interior dividers and velcro had a few more optional placements, you're pretty restricted in how they can be placed.

You'll find many, many interior compartments and stuff hidden away in this bag, including a nice rain cover for the camera on the inside, and for the entire bag on the outside. The tripod holder flap can be tucked inside, as well as the additional waist strap. There almost to me seem to be *too* many compartments. I don't need so many that I end up having to remember where I put what item and unzipping a dozen pockets to find it. But I'm sure a lot of photo geeks love that kind of thing.

While I do love the sling design in terms of it helping to relieve some of the weight that is so problematic for me, I do have to add that it's not the easiest (or most flattering) thing for many women to wear, particularly if you are, umm, well-endowed shall we say. I basically have to either push the strap up in which case it is practically strangling me, or move it slightly down which umm, pushes other things UP. The second strap which is described as a "waist strap" actually comes up creating sort of an X in front, just making the whole thing look even worse (like a huge push-up bra worn on the outside). I'm not sure there's really a good solution to this, but women might want to try one of these in a local camera store to see how much it bothers them before purchasing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very Small But Excellent Quality-Not for pro DSLR's (102 AW), July 8, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)

I am a Lowepro fanatic. Every bag I own is Lowepro except for one multi-purpose Tenba Messenger bag (which is incredible by the way). I own the X300, a couple of Stealth reporters, the Slingshot 202 AW and the 302 AW. I shoot with a Nikon D300s w/MB-D10 (battery pack), Giottos quick release tripod plate, all Nikon lenses, and ALWAYS carry at least two speedlights(SB-900 or up to 3 SB-700's) w/ diffusers and small light modifiers (such as Lumiquest's line), and a heavy assortment of other gear. I needed a smaller bag to carry a minimum amount of gear mainly on family outings. Of course, a minimum amount of gear is subjective to each photographer. This bag severely (emphasis added) limits what I can carry.

The bag is constructed in the usual Lowepro high quality and high design standards. The only issue I have is that it is just too small. By the product images, you would not suspect it of being so small. Imagine my surprise when I realized it barely fit my D300s with an attached Nikon 17-55. THAT'S IT for the main compartment! To fit it, I had to remove the supplied configuration (all the padding) and put the camera in sideways. Even then, the top of the camera does not really fit, I had to stretch the bag as I closed the zippers. There is no more room in the main compartment for another lens or flash. End of story. The inside lid of the main compartment, the 102 has two Velcro-closure memory card pockets, so you can leave your memory card wallet at home. The Lowepro microfiber cloth was moved from previous models to the left of the compartment, which is kind of nice since it always got in the way with other models. Also, this version, like previous versions, includes the built in rain cover.

The secondary compartment (top of bag) can hold either a small lens, flash, or an assortment of small gear (cables, etc). But, it cannot hold all three or even two of those items. In my case, I use it to hold one SB-700 flash and diffuser and that barely fits. Inside that compartment is a smaller pocket for miscellaneous items that functions well. In my case, it holds spare AA batteries. On the outside of the bag, you have a smaller vertical zipper pouch at the top replaces Slip Lock Attachment loop) that would be another great place for batteries or your keys. But, the SlipLock Attachment Loop that used to be there on previous models is now gone. The addition of a tripod buckle, cinch strap, and hideaway foldout tripod feet pouch on the side of the 102 is a nice feature improvement. On previous models, you had 3 SlipLock Attachment Loops, 2 on the back and 1 on the side, that you could use to try to carry gear such as a tripod or monopod. The design feature improves carrying such a device compared to previous model's, but the size of the bag makes it impractical to attach anything but a low-end consumer grade tripod.

A lot of reviewers have complained about the fit of the Slingshot series, especially on women and big men. They are entirely correct. The Slingshot strap rides across the front of your chest. Women with large breasts may simply not like this feature. Larger men may have a problem as well. You can carry the bag slung over the right or left shoulder for comparatively shorter periods of time (compared to slinging it over your back). But that defeats the purpose.

In short, if you are use a pro-level DSLR with attached grip, you will just be able to use this bag- barely. Forget about carrying a Nikon 70-200 2.8 though. I barely got my 17-55 to fit. This bag is a minimalist bag at most. This bag proves the point there is no such thing as a photographer using one bag. Bag's serve specific purposes and require compromise to achieve the best form and function for any given environment. On the other hand, for those carrying smaller DSLR bodies with no grips, such as the Rebel line, or Nikon's consumer line (think D90, D7000), and have very little lighting requirements (not carrying flashes), this bag is a home run. So, all you mom's on the sideline during Johnny's soccer game could very well fall in love with this bag. Pro's, definitely not except under minimalist standards. For point and shoot camera's, this bag is overkill unless you are looking to carry other items as well; I would just get a backpack at that point.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a nice camera bag--if it's large enough for your camera and gear, April 4, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The LowePro Slingshot 102AW camera bag seems well constructed and very durable. It has one curved, padded shoulder strap so that you can carry it over your left shoulder. There is also a small nylon hand strap at the top of the bag for carrying the bag, but it is 1" in width and is not padded. There are a number of pockets and compartments for carrying an array of items. You can also carry a tripod or mono-pod on the side of the bag.

The main issue may be whether the bag is large enough from your camera and gear. The main compartment has three subdividers that are held in place by velcro so that you can adjust the size of the subcompartments or remove the subdividers completely. The size of the main compartment is approximately 10" wide, by 7" (which would be the maximum distance from the back of your camera to the front end of your lense), to about 5" in height at most (which would be the maximum height of a single lense standing up in one of the subcompartments. The flap for the main compartment has two small pockets for memory cards. There is a secondary compartment at the top of the bag that is 7" wide at the bottom and narrows to 4 at the top, and about 4" deep. There are a couple other smaller compartments on the bag also. And then within the compartments are smaller storage pockets.

The only thing that I didn't care much for was a strap that crosses the zipper of the cover to the main compartment that has two Travato side release buckles. If you secure the strap with the 2 buckles, then you have to release the buckles to unzip the cover. Then when you want to zip the compartment up again, the buckles tend to fall across the zipper and you have to pick them up to zip the bag up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect SLR bag if you carry light, December 19, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)
I bought this for my Nikon D5100 and it has been perfect; much more convenient than the traditional shoulder bag or backpack. In fact, I love this bag so much that even when I'm not bringing my SLR around, I still use this for other purposes. Here's why it's so great:

-FUNCTION-
Being able to swing the bag to the front is a huge benefit (the biggest reason for using a sling-style). I can get my camera out in about three seconds! The zippers are secure and the extra pockets are well thought-out, especially the small pockets for memory cards and battery on the part that flips open. There are several straps on the outside of the back for attaching various items. If you need a tripod, I would get the 102.

-SIZE-
I was going to get the 200 (there's also a 300), but I'm so glad I went with the 100. As an amateur, I don't want to carry around more than I have to. This bag is big enough for my 18-55, a zoom, and a prime. The inside padding can be reconfigured but even the as it came, it fits my camera with the 18-250 attached with no problem.

-COMFORT-
This is extremely comfortable. The weight of the contents is distributed nicely across my shoulder and I can have this on my back literally all day with no problem. This is part of the reason why the 100 might be perfect since you have no choice but to carry light!

-DURABILITY-
The bag seems very well made. Although I've only used it a few times so far, it looks like it will hold up. Zippers and straps are in great condition and there is nothing flimsy at all.

-RECOMMENDATION-
If you only need to carry the camera with a few accessories, this bag is perfect. This allows you to quickly access your camera while not needing to take anything off your body. It also doesn't scream "hey everyone, I have an expensive camera in here!" unlike some other camera bags. Buy without hesitation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bag for short trips, June 10, 2010
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)
I just received this bag today. I have a Canon 500D (Rebel T1i), 18-55mm, 55-250mm and 75-300mm lenses.

This bag has two compartments -

Bottom:

- Comfortably fits Camera and kit lens. There is some extra room at the end which can be adjusted using the velcro.
- Two additional compartments which can be used for lens / flash.

Top:

- This has enough space for small accessories like Valet, Point and Shoot Camera and Battery charger.
- There is a elastic strap in the top compartment to secure camera etc.

There are two small pockets outside, which can be used for storing battery, USB cable etc.

Notable features which everybody else mentioned:

- All weather cover hidden nicely.
- Tripod compartment which can be pulled only when required. A strap to secure the tripod.

Now you have idea about how much it can carry. It is obvious that its a small bag. The build quality is very nice and zippers, fabric gives you nice feel.

This bag is useful if you carry couple of lenses (kit + medium telescope) and a flash. Charger / Memory cards and other small accessories fit well and you're good to go. My 75-300mm lens fits there but its the largest it can handle. So if you intend to carry longer lenses then this bag is not for you.

Sling design is absolutely helpful and works perfectly for me.

Little expensive for size though. You get Kata 465i / 467i, Lowepro 202 AW / 302 AW which are bigger than this bag. Those are not very expensive as well.

Worth comparing your needs before buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great compact, hight quality bag., July 20, 2011
J. Luu (Colorado Springs, CO) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)
Choosing to go with the Lowepro Slingshot is easy, choosing the size is not as clear. I won't repeat some of the accolades bestowed on this bag. I agree with all of them. When I shopped for a camera bag, I wanted something light and compact to fit my new Nikon D7000. I don't carry many lens. But I do shoot video so I wanted something that also fits my Canon HF g10.....I know, i know . . . Canon and Nikon in one bag is heresy. Not having the different bag sizes in hand, I looked for a long time before taking a leap of faith with the 102aw size bag.

Unfortunately I can't upload the pictures to help with those trying to get an idea of the size of this bag. But here's my best description of its size:

1. Main compartment: I could barely fit the Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm zoom lens attached. Don't even try anything longer. Adjacent to the lens, I could fit a Nikon 50mm/1.4 lens. On the other side, I can fit the charger for the Nikon and Canon.

2. Top compartment: I can fit the Canon HF g10 side ways. Fits perfectly. Not too snug. The lens hood will not fit however. I am able to fit in a canon directional mic in this compartment as well.

3. Outside pocket: easily fits my Canon 300 point and shoot.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Lowepro bag but made for smaller DSLRs., March 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll be the first one to admit that this bag won't work for me. I carry the larger Canon DSLRs (the Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21.1MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) with the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras) and it barely fits in the camera. As a test, I was barely able to get the camera + lens attachment, a Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras, a Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras and filters.

So, after I've thoroughly said how much this bag won't work for me, who will it work for? People who are getting started with digital SLRs, like the Canon Rebel series or the Nikon equivalents. More advanced photographers might want to look at the larger versions of the Slingshots. In fact, this will fit a Rebel T2i + 55-250mm lens and Canon 430EX flash - snuggly, but it will fit.

The bag itself, like most Lowepro products, is top notch. It feels solid and well constructed (which explains why it feels bulky.) There are enough small pockets to carry batteries, smaller filters and memory cards. The top compartment is good for holding lens hoods or any other smaller objects. The rain cover is on the bottom of the camera and easily flips over the camera in case of downpour. On the righthand side of the bag, there's a small tripod/monopod holder that is secured with a strap at the top. Also, there's a connector for Lowepro's lens cases, so in case you get a larger zoom lens that won't fit, you can easily attach it to your bag.

Buying camera bags is difficult, and I joke that it's the male version of purses - you can't have just one of them but instead, ones to suit each occasion. So will this fit your gear? Google "Cambags" and look to see if it'll fit what you have. Despite that this bag won't work for me, this is a great bag and Lowepro is an awesome manufacturer of bags. My advice is that if it feels like your stuff will just barely fit, get the next bigger size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Make sure you get INTERIOR measurements!, September 24, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)
Unfortunately, I had to return the bag because it was too small for my equipment (Canon EOS with battery grip and 18-135mm lens). Amazon didn't specify interior measurements so it was assumed my equipment would fit. Nothing against the product itself. If you are looking for a nice, decently sized bag to hold basic camera equipment, this would probably work for you. I did a little homework for you guys to compare interior measurements between the different SlingShots.

100AW (in. = 7.5W x 5.1D x 9.8H
102AW (in. = 6.3W x 4.3D x 10.2H
200AW (in. = 8.7W x 5.9D x 11.8H
202AW (in. = 8.9W x 5.5D x 11.0H
302AW (in. =11.4W x 5.9D x 10.6H

Interesting how the newer models (x02) are smaller than their predecessors - that's what threw me off. Keep that in mind. I actually found a 200AW that will fit my equipment good and doesn't seem to be all that much larger externally.

I'm still giving the product 5 stars because the SlingShot is a very good design with lots of storage options. I can't hold anything against it for picking one that was too small for my setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific camera bag, July 9, 2011
This review is from: Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW (Electronics)
I bought this bag to replace the standard Nikon camera bag I got with my camera. What I really like about this bag, is, I tend to carry my camera around more often, because it is so effortless to sling over my shoulder. Also, accessing the camera is easy, without the need to remove the bag from your body, tends to have me pulling out the camera more often. I really like the tripod holder, and I recently took a mountain bike trip with this bag (with tripod) over my shoulder. This excursion could never have worked with my previous bag. The bag stayed on my shoulder (thanks to the secondary strap) without issue, and I got some great shots inside a rain forest, I never would have had otherwise.
I use a Nikon D90, typically with a 18-220 lens. This set up fits nicely into the main compartment. There are sections for an additional lens, but it would have to be no larger in length and diameter than the 18-200 lens, so figure you can only carry the mounted lens and only one additional.
Because of it's smaller size, there isn't room to carry a huge amount of accessories, but it does have nice compartments for filters, SD cards, remotes.
The quality of the bag is really good. I'm glad I got this bag.

Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW