5.0 out of 5 stars I'm already eating lots of rice and soy...
Published on December 1, 2004 by Dianne Foster

3.0 out of 5 stars Good all purpose information
Published on May 24, 2008 by D. Freeman

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm already eating lots of rice and soy..., December 1, 2004
This review is from: Lower Your Blood Pressure in Eight Weeks: A Revolutionary Program for a Longer, Healthier Life (Paperback)
Ever wonder what Asparagus, Avacados and Anger have to do with hypertension? Although some folks suggest you should not eat Avocados if you are on a low fat diet, perhaps you will reconsider after you read Steven and Jan Sinatra's book. And although asparagus are available seasonally, so you may want to eat as many of the fresh ones as you can and avoid the canned variety unless you wash the salt off. Frozen asparagus are okay but they lack the crunch of course. The Sinatras say your best bet is to freeze your own.

Anger is the killer. Try yoga, deep breathing exercises, aromatherapy, and pets to release anger. Bodywork including massage will lower your blood pressure if you get angry. Working out with weights or walking can be wonderful stress relievers.

Quercetin in tea and/or red wine may be better for you than taking medications with COX-2 inhibitors. The Sinatras include meal plans and recipes. I'm already eating lots of soy and rice, but the Sinatras offer many other good ideas. My philosopy is `Take what you need and leave the rest" and there is plenty I can take from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This program will work!, February 17, 2003
Bill Gottlieb (Cobb, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Dr. Sinatra has used all the latest and smartest scientific info to devise a unique and effective program for anyone who wants to lower high blood pressure. I have read two of Dr. Sinatra's other books--on coenzyme Q10, and on the role of emotions in heart disease--and found them unfailingly informative, sensible, practical and insightful. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars now, this is my kind of doctor!, December 5, 2005
mizlee (richmond, va) - See all my reviews
I never thought I'd find a cardiologist who agrees with me that prescription drugs are a last resort, but here he is. Believe it or not, he even understands enough about real life to tell you to get your chi in shape! If you want to know which supplements live up to their hype (and some of them do), this is the book you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars A USER-FRIENDLY GUIDE TO MANAGING HYPERTENSION NATURALLY - WITH MEDS ONLY AS NEEDED, January 30, 2006
IN A NUTSHELL: E-Z to grasp balanced approach

Written by a Cardiologist, this book is among the first to suggest that treating hypertension is not just about filling prescriptions and taking your medicine on time.

WHAT ITS ALL ABOUT: Using Prescribed Meds As A Last rather than a 1st Resort!

Most of all, "Lower Your Blood Pressure in Eight Weeks" is about using conventional prescription medicines as a last rather than a first resort.

So how do the Sinatras suggest doing this?

----- * DIETARY CHANGES, including the "Pan-Asian modified Mediterranean diet" plus certain amino acids [L-Arginine, L-Taurine, L-Carnitine], Co-enzyme Q10, flax, soy, fish oils, Hawthorn and much more. Comprehensive "Meal Plans" are included in the second half of the book.

BOTTOM LINE: - SAFE - EFFECTIVE - EASY TO MANAGE PROGRAM

Balanced approach to hypertension treatment which includes alternative medicine blended with conventional allopathic medicine. Best of all, this book is written by a Cardiologist [M.D.] and by a very qualified nurse [M.S.N., C.N.S., A.P.R.N.], who are a married couple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, May 28, 2008
Eight weeks ago I was diagnosed with isolated systolic hypertension (BP 160/64). I was already doing some of the book recommendations before I read it. Then I started on the full program right away. Now my resting BP is running 115/68 to 120/75 and my weight went from 160lbs to 150lbs. While I did NOT feel poorly eight weeks ago, I now feel unbelievably GREAT. I will be 70 years young in September 2008.

I think I should also report that my physician put me on ZOLOFT 100MG DAILY eight weeks ago. This reduced anxiety and depression and may have helped reduce my BP.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good all purpose information, May 24, 2008
D. Freeman (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This book has good basic information, but it's basically directed to people who need to loose weight. There are a number of diets and recipes which are nutritious. That isn't my personal problem, but I did find information on supplements and herbs which was helpful. The step by step approach is well planned and would be useful for a person desiring to improve their health by changing habits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, great information!, October 10, 2007
I am still reading this and I am loving it. The information is solid and makes sense. It's inspiring. I feel like this could really be helpful in my effort to take back my health.

3.0 out of 5 stars Published in 2003, May 24, 2014
DR Tony Berg (California USA) - See all my reviews
Fighting mild hypertension I was pleased to find this book and see how well it was reviewed.
Let me say straight away that it is an excellent book but sadly more than 10 years old.

Why is this important?

In the intervening years both Dr Sinatra and his colleague Johnny Bowden PhD have evolved their position on two fundamental points.

1. The book refers to the conventional wisdom of lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol. Recent publications, and a Dr Oz appearance (on line still) have both men strongly claiming that the evidence from multiple trials over many decades show cholesterol levels are not correlated with risk of heart disease. I believe they are correct.

2. The same situation has developed with saturated fats. The growing position of the Medical Community is that saturated fats are good for you and in fact better than the processed 'reduced' or 'zero' fat products coming from our food factories. To quote Bowden in a recent article 'A Harvard study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concludes that "greater saturated fat intake is associated with LESS progression of coronary atherosclerosis".

Sadly the dietary advice in the book, whilst excellent as far as it goes does not recognise these major shifts in accepted knowledge.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good info, March 31, 2009
I think this book has a lot of excellent information, but like most books, it combines facts with the biases and opinions of the author, so one has to decide what makes sense and what might not. For example, the author makes a case for the supplement CoQ10, especially if one also takes a statin, and what he says makes sense, but I heard a lecture from a noted and brilliant cardiologist who talked about CoQ10 and remarked that while yes, it's in the cells and seems to be important, it's a huge molecule that he believes can not pass into the bloodstream so a harmless but expensive waste to take the pills (similar to when Linus Pauling recommended huge doses of vitamin C, and most experts noted that at some point, the body just dumps the excess out creating "expensive urine"). The author certainly has impressive credentials and most of what he says makes sense, but based on other sources of information (I'm not a physician, but I'm well read), I can't buy everything he says, and certanily some of the things he recommends have not been effective for me, I think everyone's biology is different.

So, definitely a worthwhile read if one has metabolic syndrome or high blood pressure, etc., very helpful, but I would not passively accept and do everything recommended, think about it and discuss with your physician.

5.0 out of 5 stars lower your blood pressure in eight weeks, December 4, 2007
This books is great !!! you must read this book if you have high blood pressure !! its a must have book ! ps. excercise and don't eat chinese food , processed-food or can food ... too much sodium it will plug your arteries . keep healthy go to the gym and to the Saunna and sweat your toxins out ! dont be lazy !

$16.00 $11.55