‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Changes For Meat & Potato Guy, September 11, 2009
Achim L. Thiemermann (Austin, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How to Lower Your Cholesterol With French Gourmet Food: A practical guide (Paperback)
I'm a German/Austrian guy who grew up on a rich cuisine dominated by meat, starch, greasy sauces, and...sugary sweets, of course. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, they say. Well, "they" are wrong.

Chef Braux's recipes were like a "culinary awakening", to me. I realized that you can actually have the proverbial (healthy) cake and eat it, too. Not only are the dishes in his book quick and easy to make, but they are also outstandingly delicious and satisfying! I don't miss my old way of eating at all, and I feel much better after a meal from "How to Lower Your Cholesterol With French Gourmet Food" than after my former fare of so-called "Old World comfort dishes". Instead of being ready for a nap, I'm energized and ready to go.

What really blows me away is Alain Braux's concise, no-nonsense approach to teaching us about food quality. We're so accustomed to mindlessly stuffing ourselves with popular grocery store items, that we've overlooked how the giant food corporations have gradually poisoned their products to improve their bottom lines. Most of the time, even the big manufacturers don't even know where exactly their base ingredients come from - it's all outsourced through several layers of obscure brokerages without regulation or oversight.

So I appreciate it that Chef Braux takes us by the hand and leads us back to the natural well of eating well, so we stay well. (Well, wasn't that a mouthful?) Seriously, who has time to read through hundreds of pages of health reports? Not me. I've learned more about food and how it affects our health, in 1 hour of reading the first part of this book rather than wading for hours through internet junk in search of reliable information.

"How To Lower Your Cholesterol With French Gourmet Food" is entertaining and highly educational. And it worked for this "hard head" when it came to giving up comfortable old ways. My new ways taste much better!

5.0 out of 5 stars Health with first-class diet, September 8, 2009
A must-read for all people who want to stay in great shape, control their cholesterol without statin drugs, while enjoying great diet and having fun making easy-to-follow recipes. This book is for health-conscious people who just do not "feed" themselves, but who appreciate all wonderful "real" food that Mother Nature has to offer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great food and great read!, September 12, 2009
What a fantastic book! The combination of expert nutritional advice, supreme knowledge of tasty food and lots of chef-injected light-heartedness, make "How to Lower Your Cholesteral with French Gourmet Food" very enjoyable and informative to read. I spent my entire afternoon going through every chapter and every recipe (when I was supposed to be doing other things!). The menus and shopping tips are excellent, and I'm already inspired to prepare some amazing, healthy food for the week. I have read other nutritional/cooking guides (Andrew Weil, Nicholas Perricone, etc.) and this uniquely French book joins my favorites at the very top of the list. Thank you, Chef Alain!

5.0 out of 5 stars You gotta get this book!, September 30, 2009
LVM (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
I LOVE this book!!! It reads like a friend just sitting and chatting with you. Frankly food bores me, but this book changed that. I love the anecdotal stories of Alain's experiences with the different foods. It made it more real for me and less "kitcheny". Each one of these recipes is a beautiful symphony, and while you are hearing the music, your eyes will start rolling back in your head in ecstasy! But the GREAT thing is that it heals more than cholesterol problems. Thanks to the new information in this book, my chronic inflammation has been almost eliminated! The education in it has empowered me. It's a godsend! Everyone who eats will appreciate and enjoy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Transforming Wealth of Info on Sustainable, Healthy Living--for healthy people and non-cooks too!, September 28, 2009
"Alain's book is a tremendous resource for anyone. I personally bought it for the incredible wealth of nutritional information it contains alone...(ie: I don't have high cholesterol nor care about cooking to any great extent..but still love it!)

Before reading Alain's book and others, I can now see I was eating too many empty calories that left me hungry after a few hours, and under-nourished. (I ate almost no fruits and vegetables, for example).I now find it simple to eat healthy foods that sustain me and the environment that have increased my energy and concentration levels.

Alan's suggests foods that leave us feeling satisfied and nourished properly.He tells us how to best use sugar and butters, and even how to cheat on our diets... in an intelligent way.

He explained to me the detrimental effects that barbequeing meat has on one's health, and why microwaving and over-cooking food destroys much of its nutrient value. Shopping is much easier as well, as he has provided lists of herb, pantry, refrigerator and freezer 'staples'. He has lists of 'no-no's that make it easy to avoid food that is horrible to my health.

Other tips I value especially are: how to make a super healthy breakfast easily, how to cook eggs in the most beneficial way, and why we should eat more live, fresh food to prevent disease, instead of causing it, and destroying the planet in the process. He also tell you best pots and pans to buy and places to shop for quality ingredients (In Austin and elsewhere).

Alain describes the importance of not eating food that has a negative impact on the digestive track, (which he notes is where most degenerative diseases start.) This book is easy to read and humorous and a steal of an investment. It leaves us with inspiration and practical tips about how we can joyfully and creatively take responsibility for how we treat and feed our bodies ."

5.0 out of 5 stars It's making me hungry already..., September 15, 2009
Ric Furley (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
"How to Lower your Cholesterol with French Gourmet Food a practical guide" is exactly that.

French chef Alain Braux has produced a guide to healthy eating that very elegantly and conspicuously rivals the militant regimens of vegan, macrobiotic and others, though he draws on the benefits of each of them.

By debunking myths about the stereotypical French diet (without sacrificing his patriotism), he dares the reader to
take the reigns of his or her own health and lifestyle with smart, healthy and easy to find foods. Chef Braux lays down his gauntlet in such a way that you are ready to jump in the car to race to the grocery store.

The book begins by explaining (in a non-threatening way) that we really just don't pay attention to what or how we eat and how it ultimately affects our lifestyle. He presents all of his information in a consice, easily digestible" format.

A primer for the uninformed as well as a refresher for the seasoned health nut, the book not only focuses on controlling cholesterol, but Chef Braux discusses almost every type of food that is available for consumption. He includes brief histories of each food, their benefits, as well as the best place to buy them with personal recommendation for each. There are also references for each type of food to Braux's own recipes to prepare healthy meals with a minimal intrusion into their nutritional value, your lifestyle or your pocketbook.

Plus he sneaks in French lessons along the way.

This is a fantastic addition to any health or cookbook library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Gourmet Dining at its Best!, September 6, 2009
BMW (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
Chef Alain Braux presents a delightful combination of nutritional advice, anecdotes from his childhood in France, humor and, of course, delicious recipes! This book offers comprehensive information on the health benefits of various foods and how to incorporate them into your daily life with simple meal plans. You will also learn what foods are detrimental to your health and why you should avoid them. Its healthy dining at its best and Chef Braux makes it easy and fun. Lowering your cholesterol has never been so delicious! I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in eating a healthy diet without compromising flavor, variety and the sheer enjoyment of eating good food.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Lower your Cholesterol with French Gourmet Food., September 26, 2011
HombreTel (Antequera, Spain) - See all my reviews
A Review of
How to Lower your Cholesterol with French Gourmet Food.
By Chef Alain Braux C.E.P.C., C.M.B. B.S. Holistic Nutrition
I made the mistake of thinking this was going to be a cook book, you know the sort, page after page of recipes, weighed and measured ingredients and what to do with them, boy was I so totally wrong about that.

Alain starts off telling the reader about his life, how a French chef ended up in Austin Texas and then goes on to tell you about his cholesterol experience, needless to say it was high. There and then he decided to lower it, not with drugs or medication but by using good food, cooked well. Oh no I can here you say, any food that lowers cholesterol is going to taste like straw, not so with Alain's recipes, that is exactly the reaction he doesn't want.

The first two thirds of the book explain the reasons why LDL cholesterol is bad for you, and why HDL cholesterol is good for you. The truth is you should aim to lower your LDL number and increase your HDL number. I didn't know that. He then goes on to detail most of the well know foods we all eat but explains how to cook them in a way to keep in all the nutrients and good things that it is so easy to lose or destroy by over cooking or by cooking in the wrong way. He even provides shopping tips to ensure you only get the freshest and best products. Along the way with a bit of humour Alain destroys some of the myths surrounding certain foods. Alain goes onto suggest a sensible eating regime from breakfast until dinner for one week. Not as a hard and fast rule but to give the reader some guidance on how to have tasty food throughout the day which is also good for you.

The last third of the book are Alain's recipes. Plainly written the recipes are very easy to follow with step by step instructions that even I could follow. Alain's Portobello Farcis au Jambon. Ham-stuffed Portobello Mushrooms are particularly tasty as was his Daube Provençale d'Agneau au Vin Blanc. Provencal Lamb Stew with White Wine (I am a confirmed meat eater). I could go on. Sandra my wife had just returned from the Doctor with news that her cholesterol was high and needed to come down by a considerable degree. How to lower your cholesterol with French Gourmet Food a practical guide. Arrived just at the right time.

As I said right at the beginning, this is not just a simple cook book; it is more of a guide to changing your life style to promote your own good health. While I think it would be difficult to follow Alain's guidance to the letter, if you just follow some of his advice I believe you will see your cholesterol number dropping and along the way you'll be eating some good tasty grub too.

My rating 5 stars out of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cooking 101 syllabus, August 24, 2010
The Cooking 101 courses which will be taught more and more as time goes on should include this brilliant book in their syllabuses.
It's a revelation and it's fun.
Use it and live longer.
No more food-based epidemics need pass through the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect basic cooking book, May 16, 2010
Delicious recipes with a Mediterranean flare,some tact,honesty,humor,useful advices and great website references are the perfect cocktail for a complete book which should be the cooking base used by every family to eat healthy,grow well, stay in good shape while respecting the earth,animals,food and oneself.
"BON APPETIT"

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

How to Lower Your Cholesterol With French Gourmet Food: A practical guide
How to Lower Your Cholesterol With French Gourmet Food: A practical guide by Chef Alain Braux (Paperback - August 8, 2009)
$19.95 $17.96