Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing Learn more

on January 10, 2011
I enjoy checking out new Bibles, seeing what kind of tools there are to help with the Bible reading/study experience, and this one caught my eye. Anything with Max Lucado's name attached piques my interest.

First off, the translation. I have two favorite Bible versions. One is the New Living, and the other is the New King James, which is the version used here. Easy to read, and without out the out of date words used in the King James.

This Bible is full of "Life Lessons". They are in the margins of the pages. Each one has a situation, observation, inpsiration, application, and ending with exploration - more verses about the topic.

Also scattered throughout are Christ Through The Bible "sidebars". Boxes with portions from Max's books having to do with the topic in the Scripture above, and also with Christ.

Obviously, I have not read this whole Bible or all of the notes, but what I have read, I have liked. I really like the Life Lessons and feel they can be helpful as a person reads through the Bible, though I would classify it as more of a Devotional Bible than a study Bible. And added to it is the great New King James version of the Bible. A great combination.
on October 5, 2010
Much of this book is a revision of Max Lucado's earlier Devotional Bible. Here devotionals have been moved to bigger type and given their own pages. In the earlier book, these were put into side notes, along side the Biblical text. I was not able to determine if every note has been carried over or whether any new material has been inserted; however, the pages I did check, showed little change in text. The other change was a change in Bible Translation. The earlier book was based on the NCV, the currently available book is based on the NKJV. Both are good translations, though in the past Max Lucado seemed to favor the NCV.

Having said this, the book is worth having if you do not have the earlier text or want an easier to read compilation of the same material. I have enjoyed reading the devotionals that have made Max Lucado famous. I trust the same will be true of others.
on February 4, 2011
I really enjoy Max Lucado and was a bit skeptical about a Lucado Study Bible, but as I had the chance to preview the,"Lucado Life Lessons Study Bible, NKJV", I was taken with not only how beautiful the bible was laid out, but the devotionals that were intersperced throughout this bible, along with study lessons that are provided for each book of the bible and each chapter of that book.

This truly lived up to being a study bible; The paper were not onion thin, nor where they "notebook" quality, but a lightweight quality that just add to the overall look and texture and feel of the study bible.

With beautiful images, font spacing that is easy for any eyes (I estimated it to be about a 11 point) and well laid out, you will definitely enjoy using the,"Lucado Life Lessons Study Bible, NKJV" bible for your everyday study bible use.

The size was the only drawback for me, but I'm also use to a thin-line bible that I could easily carry in a purse and its not to say that you couldn't bring this bible to church for use. It has a nice hardback cover to it and works well for bible study groups, classes and for use during sermons as well as personal use, and my only complaint is because I like things I can just drop in my purse, it was really more of an aesthetic drawback for me.

However, this is something that I do plan on using for my personal reflection time and if you are looking for a bible to use or even to give as a gift, I do recommend that you look into the, "Lucado Life Lessons Study Bible, NKJV". This is perfect for the new Christian in your life, as a gift, to replace one's own bible and or to use in conjunction with another bible if you are seeking a study bible to use for personal time.
on April 16, 2011
I love the Bible... I probably have 20+ different Bibles in my house, all either a different translation or different type of study Bible. When I was given the opportunity to review, "The Lucado Life Lessons Study Bible" I jumped at the chance. If you've read any of my past reviews you know that Max Lucado is one of my favorite authors so having the opportunity to see what he would say in a study Bible was very exciting for me. His books on Christian living are always very moving, so I was pretty sure this would be no exception; and I was not disappointed.

This Bible is the NKJV (New King James Version), which means that it is true to the original language, which is why so many people prefer the KJV, but it is a little simpler for modern readers to understand since there are no "thee's" and "thy's". What sets this Bible apart from other Study Bibles is the features Lucado has contributed...

* Life Lessons - These appear throughout the Scripture in the margins, it's kind of a "run-down" on what a certain section is about. What is happening, what we can observe, and what we can learn from it. All given in Lucado's unique style, as if you're sitting there having a conversation with him.

* Full-Page Devotional Studies - Throughout the text are several full-page topical devotional studies. They cover a wide variety of topics: disappointment, fear, prayer, money, truth, salvation... etc. (I can't tell you all of them now can I?) Each one has a brief discussion about the topic, then a scripture passage to study, along with questions pertaining to the topic...

* Christ Through the Bible - These articles are there to help the reader understand that the story of the Bible, the Old and New Testaments, are really the story of Christ, one story of God's plan to bring us salvation through his Son. Each one explains simply how that passage relates to Christ, and to our salvation.

* New Life in Christ - These articles are there for the sole purpose of walking the reader through the plan of salvation as it is revealed. It helps the reader to learn about salvation and discipleship/the Christian walk.
The Back of the Bible has a section designed for spiritual growth, it includes:

* He Did This Just for You Verses - A listing of verses showing what Christ did for you, what he does for you, and who He is.

* New Believer Studies - This is 30 day's worth of short studies. They start with a question... "Have you ever wondered..." and then give scriptures to read, a short paragraph or two on the topic, and then a few application questions. Finally it lists a few more verses that can be used for a more in-depth study, and a quote from Lucado for inspiration.

* "Where to Turn When" Index - Come here when you're feeling angry, depressed, doubtful, stressed, etc. (again, I can't tell you everything)... and there is a list of helpful verses for each question/feeling.
There is also a 30-day New Testament reading plan and a 2-year whole Bible reading plan, there is a devotional index that tells you what page devotional notes and/or verses relating to certain topics can be found on.

Like I said, I love the Bible, it is God's Word and I cannot get enough of it. Study Bibles are readily available, but this one is unique. It has Max Lucado's unique style throughout with the inspirational devotions, his applications, his notes, quotes from his books, etc. None of that though detracts from the beauty of God's Word. Which would be the one concern I would have with a Bible like this, since Max Lucado is such a well known author would his work detract from God's word? The answer is no. The way that this is put together is beautiful, and only draws you into God's Word more, which should be the goal of any Study Bible. To draw you into God's Word, to grow that desire, to help you study it, and grow in your understanding of it. This Bible does that. If you are looking for a Bible, whether you are a new believer or have been a believer for years, I would recommend this one.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] <[...]> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 <[...]> : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on March 6, 2014
I think it's kinda' funny that I have never read any of Max Lucado's books (no particular reason) but, I absolutely LOVE using this Bible. I've been more of a die-hard NIV'er but, used old and new King James both over the years to "shake things up a bit". The New King James Version (NKJV) reads well. The readings on every page include: excerpts from Lucado's books, a summary, and a very thought-provoking concept at the end of each "devotional"--all of these are in the margin alongside the Bible so, no having to go to the back of the Bible for a devotional or hunt for a special page somewhere in the pages, etc... Each devo. usually covers 1 to 2 chapters together. I bought this Bible for a new Christian and liked it so well, that I bought one for myself, and then, bought an additional one for my extended-stay work commutes. Hope you enjoy this Bible as much as I have already!!!
on March 26, 2013
I have great study Bibles and I was on the search for Max Lucado's Devotional Bible. I couldn't find it so I ordered his Life Lessons Study Bible. This Bible ROCKS! I have read most of Max Lucado's books and admire him for his great insight and wisdom.

This Bible is exceptionally pretty on the inside. I ordered the hardback copy and it looks just like the jacket.

Each book opens with words from Max and then a portion that explains the book in detail. Every single chapter of this Bible has a lesson to go with it. The lessons are outstanding. You get a life lesson, the situation, observation, inspiration, application and exploration. Plus there's more! There are pages all through the book that deal with different subjects that we face today. These lessons are so well written and are all taken from the books Max has penned.

This Bible also includes, He Did It For You Verses, Spiritual Growth Verses, 30 Studies for New Believers, The Big-Picture: A 30 Day Overview to the New Testament and Where to Turn When Index.

I cannot say enough great things about this Bible. I was thinking of purchasing a few new studies, but when I received this Bible I realized I didn't have to. Max gives great indepth thoughts and asks thought provoking questions that lead us to dig deep into the heart.

Whether you are a new Christian or have been walking the Christian walk for years, this Bible is absolutely perfect in every way!
on February 19, 2013
This is a great Bible, and I enjoy it a lot! The devotions are very motivational, inspiring, and thought-provoking. Max Lucado has a way of illustrating a point that really impacts you.
It is not, however, what I would call a study-type Bible. There are no word studies, and while a lot of interesting information is shared in Mr. Lucado's notes and book introductions, it is not what I would classify as a "study-Bible."
If you are looking for a Bible to help you enjoy God's Word, this may be it. If you are looking for a Bible to really dig into the "meat" of the Bible, then you will probably need to keep searching...Enjoy!
on January 11, 2011
The Lucado `Life Lessons' Study Bible is quite unique. Having spent some time in this particular Bible I have noticed several things. The Bible uses the New King James translation which is a sturdy translation to work from. The Bible is edited by Max Lucado and is something different than I have seen before in the "Study Bible" format. The Bible text is in single column form, something I really like in a Bible. The notes have been placed on the outside margin of the pages. The study notes are not necessarily theological or textual. This Bible is geared towards being "Inspirational". The notes are primarily devotional and application oriented. Perfect for the one who wants to read the Bible through. Each page has a story, illustration, or series of questions to make scripture sections applicable for the reader. The Bible has in the front a `Two-Year Devotional Reading Plan', a `Devotional Index' where you can find a devotion on any particular issue in mind. In the back it has a five-section "spiritual growth" help. Section titles are `He did this just for you verses', `Spiritual growth verses', `30 studies for new believes', `The big picture: A 30-day overview to the New Testament', and `"Where to turn when" index'. The only draw back is that there are no maps or a conventional concordance in the Bible. So to look up words or specific names will not be easily obtained by the study helps themselves. The Bible is smythe-sewn and well bound. It comes with a dust-cover. The paper is thin and white with maroon colors and picture graphics. The dimensions of the Bible are 6.5 in. wide x 9.5 in. tall x 1.5 in. thick. The Bible isn't so much a "Study" Bible as much as it is a "Devotional" Bible. It would make a great gift for the Christian who has everything "spiritual". I do have to say that the format and clip-art is some what "girly" if I can use that word. As a man, I don't think I would get this for another man. Over all, it is quite unique, very well bound, attractively published. I would recommend this for anyone wanting to give a gift of encouragement, or if they wanted a different way to read through the Bible. I really like the Bible as a whole.

I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255
on December 26, 2011
This study Bible with Max Lucado is wonderful. If you have read any of Max Lucado books you know how he can explain the Bible Verses with simple everyday language. He now does it with the this Bible. He also breaks down verses to read each week and with additional study guides for more in depth study listed.
Would recommend it to anyone no matter how many Bibles you have this one will be worth owning or giving as a gift.
on January 22, 2015
Enjoy all of max's books and especially his Bibles. This is no exception. The soft cover feels great, pages are crisp and clean. Lucado gives a quick recap on one or two chapters of each book. Love the Life Lessons Bible. It's not a thick over-sized study bible I use it everyday and will probably buy another one soon.