Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lucas 10008 Power Steering Stop Leak - 12 oz
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Size: 12 Ounce|Change

on June 29, 2010
My 1999 Crown Vic recently started slowly leaking power steering fluid. After going through a couple bottles of regular power steering fluid I decided to pick up one of these. While it did last longer than normal steering fluid my reservoir got low again after a few days. I went ahead and bought one more bottle because the packaging said they do a money back guarantee for up to two bottles, but the result was the same. Still waiting to hear back from the company regarding the refund (only been a week so I still have hope they will be true to their word).

I give it two stars because it definitely leaked slower than normal fluid, and looking at the reviews here it clearly works for other people, but it did not work for me. I am back to topping of my fluid with the cheap stuff until I am able to take it to a mechanic to repair.

-- update 2010/07/12 --

Just wanted to post on here that I received a check in the mail from Lucas Oil for the cost of both bottles plus tax, so they indeed stand behind their product and honored the money back guarantee. There is no risk at all in trying this product.
66 comments|154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2009
I was having to top off my power steering fluid every couple of days, so took my 1995 Camry to my mechanic. He told me I needed to have the rack replaced at a cost of about $700. I put it off, then found this product when picking up some power steering fluid. I was skeptical, but tried it. The bottle I bought was I think 24 ounces instead of the 12-oz bottle I see here on Amazon. I didn't siphon out the previous fluid before using it, but my reservoir was nearly empty. The leak slowed in the weeks ahead, but because it still leaked I thought eventually I would have to pay for the repair. But then, coincidently after I drained the last of the bottle, the leak stopped--I haven't had to add any fluid for over 9 months now. I am frankly amazed that this product actually worked, saving me a great deal of money.
33 comments|122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2011
My car was leaking a little power fluid (about the size of a quarter every day) and my mechanic told me that the source of the leak was from the seals in my rack and pinion. He did suggest that I try stop leak to see if it would work. After about 1 week I noticed no more leaking on my garage floor. It worked for me, naturally my leak wasn't extensive or big, so hopefully I caught it before it got real bad. For those reviews that said it didn't work for them, it appears that maybe their leaks were much more extensive than mine. I am happy and 100% satisfied with this product, knock on wood.
on March 13, 2012
I reade a few reviews about several Power Steering leak products. Lucas was well reported so I decided to try it.
All I can say is yes it did all it said it did and in short order. The squeeling and whinning gone in 1/2 a bottle. Yes I will have it looked at but at least it can now be done around me and my time. It works and was worth the higher price.
On many items the reviews that others write really help knowing a lot more.
Thanks all took the time to review this one.
on June 26, 2012
Despite having a full PS reservoir, my pump whined like nobody's business. I bought this product per advice from some auto-care blogs I read. Per suggestion, I used the spray mechanism from an old spray bottle to empty as much of the reservoir as I could into an empty bottle. I then refilled the reservoir with Lucas 10008 Power Steering Stop Leak. I then capped the reservoir and started my engine. A turn of the steering wheel to the right and then to the left and all whining was gone! Just as it says on the bottle, it even tightens the steering response. I drove twenty some miles to work the day after and was absolutely amazed. BTW, the fluid that I extracted from the PS reservoir looked like thin muddy water. It was obvious the old fluid had outlived its time. The guy at the shop had no clue. Save some money and try this first.
on February 9, 2014
1997 Lexus ES300 with 225,000 miles, original PS Pump (and engine, tranny and everything else - gotta love Lexus!).

Recently with the Polar Vortex here in Charlotte, NC went to leave work and outside air temp was 17F. Started up and the PS pump started screaming like a banshee but quieted down after about 5 minutes of driving...when stopped at home I added 1 bottle of Lucas PS Stop Leak - the reservoir was down by almost exactly 12 oz so 1 bottle was perfect. After starting again and within seconds (no exaggeration) the noise stopped and hasn't returned, even when down to 15F.

As a side note, I am a Captain and Maintenance Test Pilot with a major us airline (not a Lucas employee or rep) but I use Lucas gas treatment in all of my engines at home (cars, mowers, PWC, leaf blower, ect) so I really swear by their products.
on March 13, 2014
The stuff really works. I have a 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. It started to have terrible power steering fluid leak early this year. I poured one bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak 12 oz. It didn’t work right away. In a week, the whole bottle of Stop Leak leaked out. I gave it up, and poured a bottle of normal power steering fluid. It looked like that I had no choice but to take the car to a repair shop. However, a few days later, to my disbelief, the leak completely stopped. It has been for more than a month. I don’t know how long it will last. I’d like to try another bottle of Lucas Stop Leak if the leak starts again. But meanwhile I’m keeping my fingers crossed and trying my luck.
on November 18, 2008
This little bottle would have been a bargain at 10 times the price. My wife's 2003 Chrysler Town and Country had been plagued with a noisy growling power steering system for months. It had been getting worse and worse. She finally took it to the dealer and the only recommendation they had was a new pump, hoses and rack and pinion assembly. Needless to say this was going to cost hundreds of dollars. Out of curiosity, I did an internet search on "Town and Country noisy Power Steering". I found bulletin board after bulletin board of people having this exact same problem with their T&C's. On one of the boards, a Chrysler tech suggested giving Lucas Power Steering formula a try. He said that it had had good results with this problem. At 10 bucks, I figured why not? I used an antifreeze tester to suck out as much of the old power steering fluid out as I could, then I refilled the pump with Lucas. When I started the van, the grinding whining noise was still there.....for a whole three seconds!!! It was like I had flipped the silent switch. Just like that the noise stopped...completely. It sounds like a brand new van. There is no grinding, no howling, no nothing. Just smooth and quiet steering from full left to full right, even stopped an at an idle which had reached the point of being an embarrassment in parking lots. Weeks later the problem is still gone..maybe for a long long time. 10 bucks? What a deal!!!
55 comments|50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2008
I have a leak in my power steering system & I was topping up every two weeks before using Lucas 10008 Power Steering Stop Leak. So far, I have only topped up once in a month, so I am pretty sure that at least it is slowing the leak. I will continue using as directed & necessary & hopefully update my results later on....
on February 25, 2015
My 2001 Honda Civic with 200k miles had a slow power steering leak. I filled it a little above the max line during the late spring/early summer and by December it had leaked below the min line. I went to Wal Mart and picked up a bottle of this. Figured the worst this thing that could happen was it leaked just like it did before. I siphoned out whatever I could from the PS reservoir with a turkey baster I also got from Wal Mart for like $2. I filled it back up with the Lucas until it was about a half inch above the max line. Two months later and I don't believe it has leaked anything. So far so good. Had I not added it, the fluid would probably be at the Max line or below by now.

One thing I read is that people believe this to be the exact formula they use in the Transmission Stop Slip, so if you're really trying to be cheap and have a bottle of that it will probably work the same. I read somewhere that a parts guy at Honda was quoted as saying the PS Fluid and the ATF were exactly the same thing.

I won't give it 5 stars because I recently experienced a slight problem that may be because the Lucas. It has been really cold lately, and when I first start the car after sitting for a while, the steering wheel will be EXTREMELY stiff. It goes back to normal after I make a couple of turns, but it is noticeable. This is probably just because it's been really cold, but that has never happened to me before in the 13 years I've owned the car, even in cold weather. Could be unrelated, but I notice it.