Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on February 16, 2009
I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in lucid dreams. I've read nearly every book about lucid dreaming and I can say without hesitation this book is one of the best.

There are plenty of how-to books geared toward readers who seek to experience lucid dreams for the first time. While this book contains some techniques for that purpose, it offers so much more than that. Robert Waggoner takes lucid dreaming to a whole new level. Through his investigation of the profound inner awareness ever-present in our dreams, he demonstrates the vast potential for exploration and personal growth available to us lucid dreaming. This aspect of the book resonated deeply with me because it echoes my current approach to dreaming.

It is rare to find a book that approaches lucid dreaming from this angle, especially one that so thoroughly details the ways in which the dreamer can explore the hidden -- and often meaningful -- aspects of the dream. I wish this book had been around years ago when I first began my lucid dreaming practice.

Waggoner's enthusiasm for dreaming is evident on every page. Whether you are an experienced lucid dreamer or new to lucid dreaming, I recommend adding this to your personal library.
22 comments|146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2009
I've read my fair share of books about lucid dreaming and there are certainly better how-to books, but I'm glad that this isn't another how-to book. No other book on lucid dreaming has fascinated and inspired me as much as this one.

Before I read this book I just saw my lucid dreams as a playground where I could live out my fantasies. Now it's so much more than that. It feels like I've just started out on a great adventure into the unknown.

All the others that gave this book five stars have said it better than me, this really is a great book. This book has earned it's place in my lucid dreaming library, next to Stephen LaBerge's books. But if you're a beginner and want to learn step by step how to have lucid dreams, I recommend that you buy Steven LaBerge's book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming instead. If you can afford it, buy both books. They complement each other.
on October 29, 2008
"Lucid Dreaming, Gateway to the Inner Self," by Robert Waggoner. Robert Waggoner guides you through his own personal learning experiences of over 30 years, as a trained psychologist, blazing a self-energizing path to enlightenment and advanced state of awareness. There is at least one additional chapter I would like to see Waggoner add to this easy-to-read page turner, the impact of the internet. The advent of the internet enables the most esoteric dream images and experiences to now be field-tested against our collective reality and knowledge base by the individual, as soon as one wakes up. The result of field-testing through the internet leads quickly to the transformational profound discovery that factual information that exists in our reality is knowable and instantly attainable merely through seeking it. The mass experience of internet confirmation of places, ideas, theories, and concepts holds the potential to quickly alter a species into an entire new level of consciousness and understanding.

Expect much more from Robert Waggoner's generous and giving spirit in which he writes. His easy to read writing style focuses on reader understanding. I'm hooked.

All my physicists and scientists friends are encouraged to read his Chapter 12 with an open mind. Page 153, Waggoner quotes a passage from Jane Roberts in her 1977 book, " The `Unknown' Reality " as Waggoner discusses discoveries made by scientists from many fields through their focused lucid dream explorations in which they set about to find scientific answers to frontier level questions of science through the lucid dream experience:

The trouble is that many in the sciences do not comprehend that there is an inner reality. It is not only as valid as the exterior one, but it is the origin for it. It is the world that offers you answers, solutions, and would reveal many of the blueprints that exist behind the world of your experience.

The true art of dreaming is a science long forgotten by your world. Such an art, pursued, trains the mind in a new kind of consciousness - one that is equally at home in either existence, well-grounded and secure in each. Almost anyone can become a satisfied and productive amateur in this art-science; but its true fulfillment takes years of training, a strong sense of purpose, and a dedication - as does any true vocation.

To some extent, a natural talent is a prerequisite for such a true dream-art scientist. A sense of daring, exploration, independence, and spontaneity is required. Such a work is a joy. There are some such people who are quite unrecognized by your societies, because the particular gifts involved are given zero priority. But the talent still exists...

A practitioner of this ancient art learns first of all how to become conscious in normal terms, while in the sleep state...

The true scientists understands that he must probe the interior and not the exterior universe; he will comprehend that he cannot isolate himself for a reality of which he is necessarily a part, and that to do so presents at best a distorted picture. In quite true terms, your dreams and the trees outside of your windows have a common denominator: they both spring from the withinness of consciousness."
on October 15, 2010
Rarely do we get to hear from seasoned, expert lucid dreamers about their process. Usually, lucid dreaming is marketed to beginners, with a focus on how to lucid dream (preferably in seven days or your money back). Waggoner provides what we have been so desperately lacking: a battle-tested road map into advanced lucid dreaming.

Here's a quote from the book that sums up Waggoner's philosophy of lucid dreaming is neatly described here:

"One common assumption.... is that the [lucid] dreamer controls the dream. Yet, any thoughtful analysis shows that lucid dreamers direct their focus within the dream but do not control the dream (as the sailor does not control the sea). Those maintaining the assumption of control limit their experience and understanding, unless they are able to see through this assumption and broaden their viewpoint." p.100

Waggoner goes on to explain how this promise of dream control may at first seem fulfilled, but as dreamers move deeper into lucid dreaming practice, they will begin to notice this control unravel before their eyes. The roadblocks to greater lucidity are pointed out, with many helpful exercises to help combat them.

Waggoner presents a developmental model for lucid dreaming, based loosely on humanistic psychology with a Jungian bent. In other words, the path of lucid dreaming leads us inevitably to our growth and wholeness, even though we may go kicking and screaming, and even though we meet many nightmares, monsters and roadblocks to growth along the way.

Indeed, my own experience fits well within his model of lucid dreaming as a movement from focus on dream control and the avoidance of pain, to the ability to lose control in order to meet the dream's other autonomous characters who have much to tell me, to a focus on transpersonal experiences that are beyond the realm of representational dreaming and more in line with the experiences of advanced meditators.

What also sets Waggoner's book on lucid dreaming apart from the dozens of other books (most of which plagarize Stephen LaBerge's classic "the World of Lucid Dreaming"), is his integration of lucid dreaming with other anomalous dream experiences such as psi dreams, mutual dreams, and dreams of the dead. Waggoner has plenty of stories that would be perfect to tell around the campfire, but his interest is not on convincing his readers that these extraordinary experiences happen.

Rather, he actively invites readers to use their lucid dreams to help devise rigorous dream experiments so they can swim in these waters themselves.

Highly recommended for lucid dreaming beginners AND for those who are "stuck" and want to move into deeper waters of lucidity.
on December 8, 2010
Its well written and reasonably interesting, I read through it being excited about
all these things about being lucid in a dream, i was waiting eagerly until the chapter about
inducing the dreams(hoping it to be long and detailed), but nothing came..

Except for a few paragraphs in the last chapter there is no information for someone
who wants to trigger the awareness in the dream. This is not at all a 'How to Lucid Dream' book.
If you are already having lucid dreams it is good though, for interpreting and exploring the dreamworld,
but if your looking for techniques to practise steer well clear, go for laBerge instead.
99 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 26, 2013
This book is a fascinating read on Lucid Dreaming. If you are a fan of Seth books (by Jane Roberts), you are sure in for a treat.

Notice, this is not a book on how to induce lucid dreaming. You will be disappointed if you hope to find such techniques here. The author has workshops on the how-tos.
on August 12, 2011
I started waking up a few months back with extremely long memories of my dreams. Even though so many of these dreams did not make sense, I felt compelled to record myself speaking about them. Some of these recordings lasted between 10-15 minutes long. I was shocked that a person like me with a terrible memory could remember such a long length of time and still manage to keep the dream in chronological order. Here and there in my life I have dreamed, but these dreams were much more profound than anything I had experienced before. I was so fascinated with these dreams that I decided to look on Amazon for the best books on dreaming. I wanted to learn how to harness this part of my mind so I could experience that other side of the world more often. I purchased Robert Waggoner's book Lucid Dreaming because it was among the top of the list and had several good reviews. It was also expressed by many reviewers that Lucid Dreaming was a great book for novice dream seekers like me to learn how to control their dreams.

I was expecting a strict self help format from Robert Waggoner on how to become lucid in a dream, but there is so much more than just self help tips that come with this book. As the first paragraph of the preface states, "For more than thirty years, I have practiced lucid dreaming. During this time, I have had approximately 1,000 lucid dreams." Robert Waggoner is not just some random person that had a few dreams over the years and decided to write down some interesting facts about what he thinks dreams are. Robert Waggoner is a person that enjoyed them so much that he studied, tested, and analyzed them on a ritualistic bases and not just on himself. Keep in mind that he logged over 1,000 of his own lucid dreams. This does not include the usual everyday dreams that most people have and cannot control. I don't care if you have a Ph.D. or went to a prestigious school for so many years, although it wouldn't hurt, but this is clearly a person that has experienced dreams on a much more specific level than the majority of the population. Because the book is so extensive, you'll be reading about subjects that deal with controlling the environment and yourself while dreaming, active consciousness away from the dream body, the possibility that the dream is controlled by someone else why you're merely taking part in it, other dream beings that may actually assist you, symbolic messages, precognitive dreams, telepathy, mutual dreaming, interacting with the deceased... I could go on and on with this stuff. There is definitely a lot to offer from this book, but the best part is learning about this and then experiencing a lucid dream for the first time.

I had been placed in an outdoor environment in my dream. I can't remember there being any walls or outdoor scenery. Just the huge square concrete slab that I was standing on. There was a border around the concrete and I knew if I crossed it that my dream would turn bad very quickly. Next thing I know, I look down at my feet and I'm outside the border. All of a sudden a group of people turn into zombies and start chasing me. At this point I am not enjoying the situation and while running for my life I realize that this is just a dream. I imagine that I have the power to take out these zombies single handedly and one by one I get rid of them by attacking them instead of them attacking me. After they disappeared, I remembered a tip that Robert Waggoner suggested in the book: look at your hands to become consciously aware in the dream. When I looked down at my hands and realized for the second time that this was a dream, the scenery changed instantaneously. Everything was so bright and colorful. Like someone took several cans of paint and tossed them against the backdrop of my dream. I had extreme clarity as if I was awake and the backdrop was a cliff that extended to the end of a beach. This was a excellent view to experience during my first lucid dream. I begin to think that I can fly so I run to the cliff and jump off. I didn't manage to fly unfortunately, but I did float in the air for quite some time like astronauts do when they jump on the moon. This lasted several seconds before I reached the ground and woke up from my dream.

Although I had only one more lucid dream a few months after this one, there were several other dreams that I had already begun controlling. There is work to be done here though, a sort of process to nail down in order to harness your dreams more efficiently. I won't lie and say that this book is for everyone or has all the answers. Some people will get a lot of information from this book and may learn to control their dreams instantly, while others might find it hard to get a good routine down or to even remember their dreams at all. Everyone is different and it is important to keep that in mind. If you really want to dream or take it farther and control your dreams, this is a great book to start with. I finished the book with six full pages of notes that I had written down. Clearly there is an abundance of information in this book and if you are willing to take the time, you may find yourself experiencing something different and exciting in your life... lucid dreaming.
on November 6, 2008
As another reviewer here has suggested, this is the book 2008 has been waiting for in the field of lucid dreaming. Created with the high level of intelligence and pioneering quality that I'm sure many lucid dreamers have been waiting for, this remarkable book may serve as a point of reference for those eager to pursue the unknown that patiently lies in waiting just beyond our mundane awareness. The well-structured ideas presented here serve to act as a powerful and solid foundation for onieronauts of the future to explore and expand upon, bringing back to physical reality precious insights which seek to revolutionise current views of reality/dreams/mental phenomena etc.

Especially intriguing is the topic of Mutual Dreaming where 2 or more lucid dreamers design a perceptual experiment involving a predetermined co-operation within a similar dream context, in order to confirm the veracity of the experience as a shared consensus reality. The possible ramifications of future research in this particular field of endeavour will be astonishing for many to witness in times to come.

Thank you Robert. Looking forward with great anticipation to further stimulating books from you in the future!
on July 22, 2010
I have had an ongoing interest in lucid dreaming for over 20 years dating back to when I first discovered the work of Stephen Laberge, and this book has re-inspired me to dive back in head first. I had a fertile period of very vivid and strange dreams that got me to pull out my old dream journals and start thinking about lucid dreaming again, and then I started to search the internet for new books and I'm so glad I found this one. I noticed that every single review is 5-stars, and after reading them I couldn't wait to get my hands on this. What I really like is how Waggoner approaches this on a deeper level - beyond the basics of controlling your dream content to fly or have adventures just for the sake of entertainment. To me - that was always a good enough reason to learn lucidity, to escape and push the boundaries just a little bit. Then, after reading his experiences of going deeper and unlocking a 3rd consciousness - I stopped and realized there was so much more to achieve. Lucid dreaming is an art form and requires a lot of discipline, but if you have come this far and found this book - then don't even hesitate....just buy it, read it and push your mind to new heights!
on November 8, 2008
The other reviewers who have given this book five stars have said it all--this is well-written, informative, and most of all, breathes an air of integrity. I had the privilege of meeting Robert Waggoner ("Dream Bob") at a conference in Denver in September, and he is a down-to-earth, low-key and very Midwestern type of guy. The book not only covers all aspects of lucid dreaming (except maybe nutritional supplements, though he mentions these briefly) but is a remarkably honest and straightforward account of his own adventures as a lucid dreamer. If you're interested in the topic, you should buy the book.