Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on March 8, 2007
I bought this book not realizing it was just a condensed version of the author's book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming. There is nothing new here except a CD you don't need. If you are new to ludid dreaming you want to stick to Laberge's previous work. If you have already read that, you won't need to spend your money on this. It's like the cliffnotes version with pretty packaging and a CD thrown in to make it sound worth the money. It's simply not.
77 comments|211 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2006
this book is MUCH better than the author's earlier book(exploring the world of lucid dreaming)for three reasons.(1)it is WAY more comprehensive.(2) the exercises are simpler and easier to understand.(3)it has up to date information.the previous book was written sixteen years ago and this book has a lot of recent research results/techniques.i highly recommend it for anyone who really desires to use this valuable skill.
on December 13, 2002
This is a classic, well worth (re-)reading twenty years later. The author's later EXPLORING THE WORLD OF LUCID DREAMING isn't actually more _comprehensive_ than this book, but rather more practical, "a step-by-step guide to lucid dreaming: how to do it, and what to do with it." LUCID DREAMING, in contrast, includes material on NDEs, OBEs, dream telepathy, mutual dreaming, and other topics for which lucid dreaming has important implications. It is a _different_ book, addressing "why?" sorts of questions, perhaps with more philosophical depth, and certainly more implications, while EXPLORING... focusses on "how?"�LD techniques, and "what?"�LD applications.
LUCID DREAMING is currently out-of-print, but widely available in libraries, used book stores, and conveniently�Amazon.com. If you are interested in dreaming and transcendence you'll want to read this book. And if you're interested in lucid dreaming, you'll want to re-read it.
33 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 22, 2013
There were so many good reviews I thought this book would be valuable in providing great insight for lucid dreaming and "how to".

The techniques and ideas for how to lucid dream could be summarized in two pages.

The book is 70 pages and comes with a CD.

My opinion of the content of this book being valuable I will admit that I learned something of great value reading it. What I learned though has nothing to do with the reason I purchased the book (my objective was to learn how to lucid dream).

What I learned is:
1. Jeremy Taylor's book "Where people fly and water runs up stream", "The Hero Journey in Dreams" by Jean and Wallace Clift, Crisis Dreaming by Rosalind Cartright and the many books by Robert Moss' on dreaming are excellent for working with dreams. As I am sure some others are. The above books and authors though, are Excellent, varied in their techniques and if all are read give a very full broad scope from which to gain insight from the actual dreams that are happening. These books help dreamers understand and work with what is. Jeremy Taylors book has a couple pages only on lucid dreaming and I found it possibly more relevant for creating lucid dreaming than this book. I found that working with the dreams I was having was actually more productive than running after some elusive idea that lucid dreaming was better or was "more". When I realized that I had my sights on "the land of OZ" instead of putting all my efforts into the dreams of right this moment I got way more. Waking up feeling like I "failed" even if I dreamed and remembered was not helping me.. it was probably part of my problem... to think that something else was better.. or to believe that someone else had my solutions. My solutions were right there and being given to me each night. If one day I lucid dream - great, but if I don't that is perfectly fine too.

2. I also realized that lucid dreaming is in many ways what I am already doing personally and professionally which is Shamanic Journeying (Foundation for Shamanism with Michael Harner) and Interactive Guided Imagery IGI (IGI learned through Academy of Guided Imagery in Santa Monica with Dr David Bressler and Dr Marty Rossmore). These two different but similar methods provide pathways to working with the depths of oneself in ways similar to lucid dreaming. Though I know from personal experience (doing and facilitating the processes) these are very different, the outcomes produced can be the same. Dreaming nad intention oriented journey/meditation/prayer/guided imager or other are more targeted for what a person is wanting/needing/fearing. Journeying and IGI can be done alone or with the guidance and presence of someone who is trained to facilitate the process.

For me personally I wanted to lucid dream to create greater healing in another space and time that would effect my waking reality. It works on a different level in a different space of inner self. However, I now know that Journeying and IGI also do what I am needing and do so without the frustration of "failing" to lucid dream. I found that if I placed the same energy and effort into areas that were already happening and possible for resolution that the energy was better spent than endless "failures" of trying to lucid dream. I remember anywhere from 6-9 dreams per night, my time and energy recording and working with what is happening at night is real and viable to my present life. If I was woke up saying - oh no I didn't lucid dream then I missed all the priceless information the actual dreams were giving me! Kind of like wishing for something impossible instead of appreciating and having gratitude for what is.
The effort put into trying to lucid dreaming can be placed in Journeying and IGI where it will reap great benefits in a more timely manner... which will effect my dream time in positive ways. I will also continue to read the extensive book collection by Robert Moss.
VINE VOICEon October 12, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Nice book & CD for those beginning on their journey into the world of Lucid (awakened, enhanced, trance or interactive) dreaming.

Book includes stories of those who have experienced lucid dreaming, science behind dreaming and how it affects our lives, dream recall skills, "dreamsigns" (thoughts that are clues to you that you are dreaming), "prospective memory" (reminding self to be aware of weather or not you are dreaming), introduces post-hypnotics suggestions when lucid dreaming, working your way through fearful dreams, problem-solving, decision making, letting go of negative thought processes by working through them, , dealing with recurrent nightmares, and theories and examples of ideas of what is really being awake & what is dreaming really? (ultimately a question you might just change your answer to through lucid dreaming.) Also delves into the question of "self" in dreams (or is that who we want to be, who we think we ought to be or something else?)

Very informational on ideas of famous psychologists & others who've had an open opinion on the subject of dreams.

The CD is worth the price of this small, but informative, book for the beginner.

Tracks on CD are as described below:
1) Present State of Consciousness (an exercise on self-awareness)
2) Guided Reality Test (an exercise on awareness in awakened & dream states)
3) Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams (exercise to use just after waking from a dream)
4) Dream Lotus and Flame Technique (a basic relaxation technique, tighten & loosen muscles and visioning of a Lotus & a Flame)
5) Trance Induction of Lucid Dreaming 1 (pre-sleep/dreaming exercise - relaxation & awareness - imagery - pre-suggestions for dream)
6) Trance Induction of Lucid Dreaming 2 (pre-sleep/dreaming exercise - relaxation & awareness - imagery - pre-suggestions for dream, ocean sounds, and further self-hypnotic suggestions [you are a butterfly flying into your dreams... who or what are you beyond dreams, to dream what you wish & a suggestion to be aware of yourself dreaming with a waking suggestion to recall dreams, waking refreshed, rested and full of light]

Nice guide for the beginner in looking into your dreams.
on June 6, 2005
I'm a rational down-to-earth person, and I used this book to train myself to dream lucidly. It was definitely a worthwhile experience. There are a lot of books out there full of mysticism, but I wouldn't trust them. In addition to scientific studies, LaBerge draws freely from mystical traditions with something to say about lucid dreaming or dreaming in general, but his approach is very matter of fact. He'll talk about how those traditions see dreaming, but always the core is "does this lead to any techniques that can actually help you dream lucidly?"
on November 23, 2013
The book I'm here reviewing is Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge published in 1985 (304 pages).

I found the book readable in part, but much of it was quite boring. It is a well-written, intellectual/cerebral account not only of lucid dreaming but dreaming as a whole and other related subjects.

The author is irritatingly skeptical, and, for instance, does not believe that out-of-body experiences are real, but that they are a form of lucid dreaming. He himself has had several out-of-body experiences but uses his own form of logic to explain them away.

In conclusion, I would say that many will appreciate this book, which is an all-round theoretical approach to the subject, but I myself was disappointed, and will now be looking for other hopefully more captivating books on lucid dreaming, and OBEs also for that matter.
on January 9, 2007
This is one of the most interesting books I've read in awhile. It's not very long, it's a quick read and the author does a good job of providing a background to lucid dreaming and explains the benefits that are associated with lucid dreaming, as well as providing a guide to becoming lucid in your dreams. The book comes with a CD to help you become lucid in your dreams and the CD contains several exercises that are all narrated by the author. The exercises on the CD are easy to follow and the quality of the recording is very good. Some tracks also contain meditative music in the background. There are some topics in relation to lucid dreaming that were not covered in the book that I would have liked to see the author comment on, such as the variety of available legal herbal supplements that are supposed to promote the occurrence of lucid dreams. Although I cannot say that the book has helped me become lucid in my own dreams as of yet, the author's techniques that are taught in the book and on the accompanying CD have already helped me go from not remembering any of my dreams to being able to recall several dreams per night with increasingly more detail.

J.E.
VINE VOICEon May 14, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This Sounds True book by Stephen LaBerge comes in both softcover and hardback. The hardcover is only $3 more at the present time, and is prettier, thus making a better gift. But this softcover version would make a nice gift, too, for anyone you believe would like to explore the theory of lucid dreaming. Not only do you have a nice condensed version of Dr. LaBerge's work, there is also a CD in the back of the book with lucid dreaming techniques. The CD downloads very nicely with iTunes, and the database recognizes the info on the CD. Thus, there is no typing in tracks and such.

Anyone who desires more information about Dr. LaBerge's work should get "Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming" by Stephen LaBerge & Howard Rheingold. It's an inexpensive mass produced paperback, sold here at Amazon, with lots more information, as well as many interesting first-person accounts of lucid dreams.

Dr. LaBerge is a scientist, so don't expect a metaphysical point of view in this book. For example, if you go lucid in a dream and encounter your dead father, having a wonderful conversation with him, LaBerge will tell you that you are actually talking to yourself; your departed father's soul has not reached you in a dream; you can't "raise the dead". For those who believe in after-death communication, this point of view is neither appealing nor acceptable. I personally find the whole idea that everything and everyone in a dream is actually YOU too self-centered, and duller than dull.

Yet, Dr. LaBerge's books are not the least bit dull, and are very readable. I've read his lucid dreaming book three times now...I've tried the technique where you repeatedly ask yourself throughout the day if you are awake or if you are dreaming...and I've listened to various tracks on the CD...and I have never had a lucid dream in my life! :) There's still hope, though...but until I have one, I'll see lucid dreaming the same way as I see certain metaphysical matters...I'll believe there's such a thing when I experience it.

P.S. And the answer to the title question is if you can easily repeatedly read the title, because the words aren't jumping around or disappearing, you are awake!
VINE VOICEon April 29, 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Per sub-title, this is "A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams & in Your Life." Thus, while it does provide some context (history of lucid dreaming=LD, arguments for its value, etc.), it's mostly a practical handbook for prospective lucid dreamers ("oneironauts"). Thus (it is by Sounds True!), it includes a CD--its tracks interwoven w/text; #1/p. 7, #2/p. 22, #3/p. 24, #4/p. 27, #5/p. 29, #6/p. 29; I found it helpful.

INDUCING LD--methods to induce lucid dreaming: p. 24: verbally resolving to remember you're dreaming & Mnemonic Induction of Lucid Dreams (MILD), p. 25: visualize yourself lucid dreaming after awakening from it, p. 27: WILD=Wake Initiated Lucid Dreaming, p. 29: trance induction, post hypnotic suggestion, & LDIDs=Lucid Dreaming Induction Devices--flashing lights.

AWARENESS OF LD--methods to tell if you are dreaming: p. 21: dream signs (dream artifacts that are anomalies in waking life= clues that you are dreaming--so you become lucid) & Dr. Paul Tholey's "critical reflective attitude"--ask the "critical question"--"Am I dreaming or not?" during the day, establishing the habit so you'll ask it in the dream as well, & p. 22: "guided reality test" to see if you are in a dream--e.g. can you fly?

MAINTAINING LD-- pp. 27-8: preventing premature awakening--spinning your dream body & false awakening (dream you're awakening while you're still really asleep & dreaming)

LEARNING FROM LD-- p. 54: good list of questions to ask dream characters such as "who are you?" p. 58: recurring nightmares--spiritual aspects a la Tarthang Tulku, & what you see is not necessarily what's there-- p. 48: "If your mind resembles a fun house mirror, do not be surprised if in your dreams an angel seems a demon" or per Afghan Sufi Master Hakim Sonai, 800 years ago--"Creatures comelier than angels even seem, in a dagger, to have devil's faces." LaBerge addresses the important resolution of conflicts & Jungian shadow integration via lucid dreams--a powerful method of psychological growth. Also, per Buddhism/Taoism, using dreams to establish the dreamlike quality of waking life.

CONCLUSION--Like most of life's experiences, you usually get out of it what you put into it--often depending on your perspective--e.g. p. 36: "Two men looked out prison bars; one saw mud, the other stars" Anonymous & p. 49: Mark Twain--"Do the thing you fear most & the death of fear is certain." I almost always give books I've read to the library, but for me this one's a keeper.

ADDITIONAL READING ON DREAMS:

Tibetan Buddhist--Das, Surya Tibetan Dream Yoga: A Complete System for Becoming Conscious in Your Dreams (2 tapes), Norbu, Chogyal Namkhai Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light, Revised, & Rinpoche, Geshe Tenzin Wangyal The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep

Psychology--Freud, Sigmund The Interpretation of Dreams & Delaney, Gayle "The Religious Process Manifest in Dreams as Seen in the Works of Carl G. Jung and Edgar Cayce" or All About Dreams: Everything You Need To Know About *Why We Have Them *What They Mean *and How To Put Them To Work for You

Edgar Cayce--Bro, Harmon EDGAR CAYCE ON DREAMS, Dreams in the Life of Prayer, Secrist, Elsie Dreams-Your Magic Mirror, & Sparrow, Gregory Scott Lucid Dreaming: Dawning of the Clear Light

Sufi-- Shah, Idries Caravan of Dreams (teaching stories)

Kabbalah-- Harris, Monford Studies in Jewish Dream Interpretation