5.0 out of 5 stars Another rewarding romance by Barbara Samuel
Yet another wonderful book by Barbara Samuel, sweeping you along with romance and drama - suspense demanding that you turn the page and never skip a line.

Published on March 30, 2011 by LaylaReader

2.0 out of 5 stars what is the author's intent?
Published on May 24, 2011 by AC

5.0 out of 5 stars Another rewarding romance by Barbara Samuel, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)

Lucien is an unlikely hero, an infamous rake with a devil may care attitude to danger and to life. Underneath all of that veneer is a tormented soul, a very talented musician and composer, who has allowed the disappointments in his life to smother his creativity. At night his mind is tortured by music, which he writes and then burns every morning.

Madeline is to be married, mainly to ensure the maintenance of the family estate. Her father is dead and money has all but dried up. Her stepmother has chosen Charles as her suitor, not dazzling or handsome, but kind and caring. Madeline loves the gardens and is desperate to save the estate, so she has every intention of doing her duty and marrying well. She is determined to ignore Lucien's advances.

There are no real villains in this story, all of the characters have a vulnerability and charm, with the exception of Lucien's father perhaps. Lucien is a lost soul and Madeline is a shining light of hope. Their path is complicated by reputation, appearances and secrets, but most of all by an undeniable love that grows between kindred spirits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, Full, Romance, April 14, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
This is a beautifully written, full-length historical romance. The Kindle edition of the book originally published by Harper-Collins in 1995 has apparently been made available by the author herself, and for making the price so affordable, she deserves free puppies for life. Yes it's that good. Free puppies good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read this type of book, not in the last 10 years anyway, but I was home sick felt like reading something without being fully committed. I read it in a single day and couldn't put it down. I really liked these characters and loved the artful way this story was told. I would read it again. I'm still sick and read "Heart of a Knight" today by the same author, but I didn't love it nearly as much as this one. This one was special... For me anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars what is the author's intent?, May 24, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
Seriously what did the female character see in the male character? his overdrinking? his uncaring and disrespect of women? his 10 yr old temper tantrum after his music was taken from him? For someone supposed to be sensible, her attraction to him made no sense to me. It seems the author was going for the good girl\bad boy dynamic where the man needs saving and the supposed intelligent and sensible girl is reduced to a shivering mess just because he smiles at her, nevermind that she was aware of his less than noble intentions. This message is false to me and I did not enjoy this book because of it. The man was infantile and needed to grow up. A 2 star rating.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice guys really do finish last., July 14, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
5-star HR writing. 1-star characters. Except for Charles. He's the marquess that heroine Madeline's stepmother wants her to marry to save Whitethorn,their estate, from financial ruin. I wanted to give him an Oprah makeover, take him away from the awful people at Whitethorn and find him a True Love worthy of him. Dang, but he was good, kind and noble, albeit not a hunk or dashingly rakish. (It seems his kisses were a bit too dry also.)

Well, I guess Madeline was OK too. At least she's the second best of the characters here, but she certainly didn't deserve Charles. However, that's irrelevant. We know who the hero is: Lucien, Lord Esher. (It's his "Fall", after all.) I have nothing good to say about him except that he's a hunk and dashingly rakish. He's apparently tortured because his mother encouraged his prodigious musical abilities but after her death his daddy wasn't nice to him about his unmanly interests.

Then we have Juliette, Madeline's stepmother, who lends a whole new twist to the Wicked Stepmother. She's actually quite loving to her stepdaughter but wickedly amoral as to sexual liaisons for herself. Just in general, I found most everyone here (except for Charles, my crush) to be amoral and hedonistic. Well, I must except Madeline too. She is merely very young and drawn to the exciting and beautiful. (She's also turned on by exceptional musical ability.)

If I were to rate this only on my reaction to the characters, this would be a 1-star book. However, the writing is actually very good and the romance between the H and h is developed well. And this is a romance, not a morality tale.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you like your heroes childish, cruel and self absorbed, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
This book read like satire, when I realised that the author was for real I wished for a first that there was a zero stars option. It reminded me of those old 'romance' books that had cruel heroes whose rape, violations and cruelty were tolerated because they were tortured spirits, with the heroines understanding of this because of an 'evil' that happened in their past which forced him to treat all women (herself included) like crap. They made me uncomfortable then, really young and I feel even more strongly against them now.

The hero could have been written a hundred or more years ago. He is a drunkard, reckless with his life and those of others, he has no honor whatsoever as his friend openly admits to his ruining of young women of and of no title... The list is endless before you get to the 50% mark. There is nothing dark, fascinating and dangerous (or even deep)about him and when you hear the reason for his cruelty to women and for all his behavior... Talk about childish and and self entitled! The way Lucien is so self absorbed in that it is all about him and his pleasure. He full on pursues her like he's done to many others because he is bored, even when there is a loving, loyal and caring guy offering to marry her (I'm glad that the other guy lost, he was too loving and kind for her, her family and friends). She eventually comes across as silly and shallow.

I get that it was probably true of the times and this is not a book on morals but I cannot find anything romantic in a man who cannot take the word no. Being held down and have his attention forced on you because he knows that you really want him does not work for me. This was a big one for me.

Even if not for that scene, there are a lot of silly phrases in this book I won't get into it but i rolled my eyes so many times that I was giving myself a headache so I stopped at 49%.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful love story, April 23, 2011
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
I knew once i finished this book that i had to read it again. It was for sure a tear jerker for me. I really felt like i was in the story...there in the gardens. It was a wonderful story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now available for Kindle, May 2, 2011
RTS (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
This is a re-issue of sorts for B. Samuel. Since moving to Kindle, I haven't been exposed to some authors deep back log of work. This is one of my favorite romances I have read in a LONG TIME. I enjoyed the maturity of the characters, the "plot" twist, and genuine redemption in the end. Well worth the $$.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant!, April 14, 2011
Anne Elliot (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
I loved this gorgeous story of a truly tortured rake and his feisty heroine. Lucien has to be one of the most sexy heroes ever to grace a novel. I loved how Ms Samuel built the tension between the h and h so that when they finally get together it is heart-stoppingly beautiful. I will definitely be reading more of this author and looking forward to it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Redundantly Boring, June 16, 2013
This review is from: Lucien's Fall (Kindle Edition)
There is nothing more annoying than an author who continually repeats the same phrases throughout the book. It insinuates that we are not intelligent enough to get the point of the story in the first place. Every chapter described the characters and how they felt about each other. Every chapter tells how magnificent they look, how much they drink and how much they want each other. By chapter 4, I was fed up and skipped to read the last 2 chapters. Even the ending was disappointing. No more books by this author for me!

Lucien's Fall
Lucien's Fall by Barbara Samuel (Paperback - Sept. 1995)
Used & New from: $0.01