Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2008 11:02:47 AM PDT
Brent Byrum says:
Is anyone else finding it annoying how much some bad luck can effect you in this game?

I've literally been struck by 2+ Spiny Shells in a row quite a few times now.
I find that I can quickly end up going from 1st Place to 6th or 7th in mere seconds when I had strong.

The items seem overly powerful and far too common. I found this especially annoying using the Online Play.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 5:19:19 AM PDT
That's what all the fun in Mario Kart is about! The race is always unpredictable.
I used to have the same feelings. When you start playing to just have fun rather than win, the game becomes a lot more enjoyable.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 5:33:24 AM PDT
I can predict in every race that if I'm in 1st place, I'm going to get pwned on the final lap.. lol Anyway I got "lucky" enough to actually get gold in all the 150cc courses and unlock mirror mode. I was a little intimidated by 150 at first, but once I got into it it was pretty fun.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 7:44:42 AM PDT
M. McFly says:
agreed
Also try to stay on the leader but not be the leader until the end.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2008 10:43:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2008 10:51:10 PM PDT
Brent Byrum says:
I never said it wasn't fun, nor that I'm not used to the MK series. Its just gets a little bit annoying when you lose a 12 person race(for the third time) on the 3rd lap within sight of the finish line just because the guy in 9th place happened to get a blue shell that sent you flying into a hole. the thing is that these items aren't even rare at all like they were in the some of the others. Your almost guaranteed to get hit with one every race if you are faster than everyone else. Maybe I just enjoyed the 64 version too much. It seemed to rely on the driving first, and the items second.

Had I wanted a game without items, or without that thrill that a race CAN turn around, even at the last second, then MK would be the last game I would buy. The items DO make it fun and interesting, I just think they went a little over-the-top with them on this game.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 2:52:35 PM PDT
Johnny says:
I totally agree with you. The volume of blue shells in this game is absurd. I have had races where I have been hit by 3 blue shells and multiple thwomps on the final lap... it is ridiculous.

What really gets me though, is on the first lap when I get to the item boxes first, and before my item has been selected (ie, I hit an item box, and the selector is still spinning) I have already been hit with something. This, more than anything else, is the perfect embodiment of how the AI cheats.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 4:29:08 PM PDT
Beccaree says:
I've played every mario kart series and this one is definitely the worst when it comes to getting hit by blue shells and lightning bolts. It's especially bad when you're leading for 2 and a half laps on line and get hit by a blue shell and you end up in 8th place. That happened to me last night. It's still a great game though. I try not to let that bother me too much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 9:30:11 PM PDT
L. Star says:
How long did it take you to get the mirror mode?

Everything is going well until about a third of the course left and then I get hit with everything and anything and end up in last place. It's seriously becoming annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2008 11:17:04 PM PDT
nuriko says:
Now that you've mention it, I did notice that the AI gets to use the items way before I can. The item box selector spins way too long... :P

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 4:33:00 AM PDT
It actually didnt take long at all to get mirror mode. I only had to redo 2 courses on 150cc to get the gold. Speaking of cheating AI one thing I notice when I'm in 11th place the big bullet will buzz by me, but I remain in 11th place... If I'm still in 11th, who just passed me? If it was the guy in 12th shouldnt that have made me go to 12?

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 6:42:54 AM PDT
M. Calichio says:
You can make the item box stop spinning quicker by hitting the button that you use to shoot the items...that might help you

I never have a problem with the computer...i have gold on all the mirror mode stages

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2008 7:55:30 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2008 8:30:00 AM PDT
The need for skill certainly has been greatly reduced in this Mario Kart game. As I mentioned in some other comment, GP mode almost seems like a Battle mode to me.

No matter how great you're driving skills are in this game, you aren't guaranteed a win...or even a ranking in the top five if an AI opponent pulls a weapon from nowhere and decides to knock you to last place with it. In past Mario Kart titles, if you're dominating a track and get hit by a blue shell or any other item, it wasn't that great of a setback. Maybe you'd get bumped back to fourth place at the worst. Personal skill was prominent. If you raced great, chances are you were gonna come out alright despite the obstacles. If you lost your cool and started making mistakes, your performance would reflect that.

But here...it feels like I'm playing on a slot machine. The quality of my racing really doesn't matter when it all comes down to it. Am I driving great? Doesn't matter. Someone behind me is probably gonna smack me to last place by throwing everything but the kitchen sink at me. Am I driving poorly? Doesn't matter. Because pretty soon I'm gonna get a massive arsenal of items that helps me with my miraculous comeback. Rinse, repeat.

With this game, skill retreats to the back seat and poor attempts at adding challenge and excitement take the wheel. The emphasis on luck doesn't give this game lasting appeal to me personally. Not to mention you can't play a split screen GP mode with friends on the same console. I was shocked when I realized that Nintendo had screwed this one up after such a long line of fantastic Kart games. Oh well...there's always next time...and I hope Nintendo takes the criticism to heart. At least I've still got Mario Kart DS around.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 1:53:22 AM PDT
Wander says:
I've seen a lot of people on Amazon talking about this. And it's happened to me a bunch too. It's not as bad in the 50cc or 100cc, but in 150cc skill almost takes the backseat entirely to luck. It isn't that the AI is cheap, I don't think. It's mostly that I find myself getting pounded with one item after another in rapid succession. And I don't drop from 1st to 2nd or 3rd most times. I drop to like 7th, 9th, 12th. Positions like that mostly because it takes longer to recover in this one than in other Mario Kart games.

But I also notice it mostly comes when you're in first place because (as so many have pointed out) that Blue Shell comes more. And sometimes, at least when I play, there's a pattern at work. In one of my races I'm bound to be hit by a Blue Shell, Pow and Lightning in rapid succession. The Pow and Lightning aren't as bad because they hit everyone but the user, but following a blue shell it can be a pain. If you get a huge lead it's alright, but if you get into first place early, you might not be able to get that big lead like you want.

This has always had the potential to happen in Mario Kart, but sometimes you're getting hit by more items in rapid succession than you like. I never had this problem with previous Mario Kart games. I don't mind playing Versus with friends or going online, but the Grand Prix can be taxing sometimes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 1:40:55 PM PDT
Caggs says:
I agree. Like most Wii games, it has been "dumbed down" for appeal to the masses. Driving technique and skill has been replaced with simplicity and luck so everyone from a 4 year old to a 70 year old can play it. It's why the Wii is both so popular with the public and so hated by "hardcore gamers."

Mario Kart achieved perfection with the DS release. It rewarded you for being skilled at the controls and mastering the courses. The Wii version is 90% luck. I guess we can enjoy both the DS and the Wii versions, but for different reasons.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2008 2:45:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2008 1:19:11 PM PDT
Wander says:
Well, I can agree that the game has been dumbed down, but I think it was already playable by just about everyone. Just some of the advanced techniques have been made a lot easier to do. But when it comes to the "Luck" factor, you have to remember that the people playing Mario Kart for the first time probably don't even realize that the games weren't like this to begin with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2008 7:49:50 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Nintendo loves to make these zany multiplayer games rely solely on luck, and it's kind of upsetting. Mario Party 8 sucked because whether you win or lose is strictly a matter of chance with no skill whatsoever. Same thing with Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe with those two, it's not too terrible that luck plays such a factor, but on a racing game? Come on, this should be all about skill.

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2008 12:21:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2008 12:22:20 AM PDT
Wander says:
I don't think Super Smash Bros relies on luck. Especially when you're playing against your friends. I mean, Mario Party 8 I can see. Because you have no control over anything that happens. But Super Smash Bros? I don't really think so. For Super Smash Bros skill plays a huge part in whether or not you win or lose against the CPU more so than luck. But Mario Kart Wii definitely seems to suffer from the "Luck" factor. But it seems like Nintendo forces the Multiplayer aspect on in some of their games. In most of their party games playing against the computer just isn't that much fun.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2008 6:46:48 PM PDT
ash says:
It may be annoying sometimes, but if you loosen up a bit while playing, the game can be really fun. Wouldn't be fun without those.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2008 3:48:45 PM PDT
Have had game since launch and JUST unlocked Mirror mode last night. Certain karts/bikes do better on different courses. Took awhile to find the best one for the last 150 courses.
Just like the same kart/bike you use for a time trial isn't the same one you should use for a GP.
High Speed = TT
High Acceleration = GP
Go get hit so much that getting back up to speed quicker is more important to top end speed, because frankly you're don't get a chance to get up to stop speed before you get hit with something.

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2008 7:58:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2008 8:00:43 PM PDT
Brent Byrum says:
Again, you seem to think I entirely dislike the items, or am new to the MK genre. I am not.
I play Mario Kart because they are in general VERY good, and always have been at every release.
Having played the SNES, N64, and a bit of DS and GC, this one is by far the only one that is over-the-top with the items that I can tell.
You don't seem to understand that they could have simply added options to at least the Online to take care of this.
All they had to do was give options to choose "Items off" or "Strategic items" and it would all be fixed.

I'm not a casual gamer, I play a lot, and I usually become very good, very fast.
I've got a 2 Star ranking and around 9200 VR.
The thing its just NOT fun you get hit with 3-4 Blue shells per race. Every race.
I can deal with Red Shells, Green Shells, POW, and every thing else to a good extent. Its just impossible to do anything about a Blue Shell enless you just happen to get a Mushroom just before you get hit, which is the only way to dodge one. After several hundred races, I can probably count the number of mushrooms I have gotten when in first place on one hand.

The balance is just completely off in this game compared to the others.
You can be terrible at this game and still win no problem.
Proof of this, I won my FIRST race in Mario Online. 1 Star, 1 Mega Mushroom and a Bullet Bill was all it took to win. I didn't even know what all the items did yet when I won. I didn't even know the track I was on.

The only thing bad about the Wii is that they DO just dumb all the games down so anyone can play it without effort. Which means anyone who has the desire to actually put effort into the game gets nothing, because they don't get offered anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 3:38:09 PM PST
Jerry Mouse says:
I swear I was litarally in tears from Mirrior Lightning Cup! The AI use cheap crap instead of actual skill. As most people refer to it. "Item Rape" is annoying. I'm leading in first, final lap, like two inches away from the finsh line, then I get hit by a Blue Shell, a Red Shell, a star, then a bullet bill then come in 12th!!! I find it impossible to use a Gold Mushroom without being onslaughted by lightning. You need to add skill into it too.

Posted on Feb 1, 2011 12:26:54 PM PST
I do think the blue spiky shells are much more common in Mario Kart Wii, but I actually think that skill is more important in this incarnation than the others. The addition of the ranking system was a great move. In previous games, I could get gold quite quickly and easily playing 2 player Grand Prix purely by luck. In MKW, even if you get all golds, you have to shoot for getting the 3 star ranking, which is much more than simply getting a gold by happenstance.

Some items are much weaker in MKW, too. In the SNES version, a lighting bolt (while much rarer) almost assured one of victory. It lasted a long time and you could flatten everyone in your path. In the N64 version, if you timed your lighting bolt usage just before a big jump (or even during a big jump), people would not make the jump and be set back half a lap sometimes. In MKW, the lightning bolt lasts about 5 seconds, you can't flatten people, and they still make those long jumps anyway.

So I guess I see it as a bit of give and take.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 7:51:14 AM PDT
I very much agree with what everyone is saying about the items. And there are a few people that are saying to just play for fun and not to worry about winning every match. I would agree with this if they didn't take multiplayer out of GP. In past MK games I wouldn't mind doing GP over again because win or lose I'm still having fun playing with a friend, but in MKW I'm only doing GP to unlock courses and characters that can only be unlocked through GP. By taking the multiplayer out of it they're taking away everything that makes MK fun and replacing it with what feels like work just so I can play all the courses with all the characters in vs mode.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  May 2, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about