Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on HTL

• Lucky
  • Customer Reviews

Subscription Length: 1 year auto-renewalChange

on November 5, 2001
Don't even think about this magazine unless you are into shopping!!! I thought I had everything I needed until I peeked into Lucky one day.
The magazine scours the globe to find great items from clothing and accessories to cosmetics to housewares and so forth. They even listed sites for locating old-fashioned sweets and soda (great gift for a parent or grandparent)!
Each month features a different city in the world and the great shops recommended. Addresses and websites are also included in case you fall in love with something pictured.
One of my favorite features of Lucky is the page with all of the stickers. They are divided into Yes! and Maybe?. You simply peel them off and attach them to the page you are drooling over. This prevents messy "dog-eared" and lost pages.
One last feature I like is that they offer a toll-free number to call if you are having any difficulty locating items in the magazine. I know I have encountered more than a few headaches in the past trying to locate an item found in a magazine.
on December 7, 2002
Lucky is filled with spreads of different styles of clothes, accessories, make-up, and home decor. If you are looking for absolutely anything else, you won't find it here. I do find it odd that this magazine actually costs money because mostly it just advertises things and tell you where to buy them. Lucky comes with a sheet of tab stickers that say 'yes' and 'maybe' to mark things that you are interested in buying. I had fun pulling them off and sticking them on things I'd like to have just like when I was a kid and I went through the toy catalog circling all the stuff I wanted.
Some of the items featured in Lucky are reasonable priced, but most are not. Apparently Elton John has a line of candles that includes a `Three hundred dollar one that's the size of a small water buffalo.' (Insert one of my 'yes' tab stickers here!) The styles do seem to be up to date and trendy, but the same information can usually be found in any other women's magazine in their advertisements, and in other magazines you actually get content. Lucky really is just a trendy catalog.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2006
Lucky is one of my frequent checkout pickups. Bright, fun, and not requiring any frontal lobe interference, it's the perfect pick-me-up for the early morning commuter train. I give it five fabulous stars!

However, the actual subscription was very underhanded! Within the space of a week I was sent last month's issue (long gone from the stands), the issue just about to decirculate, and, finally, the actual current issue. So, two weeks after my order i am already 3 issues in to a 12 issue subscription, and none too happy about it. Condé Nast needs to be told that subscribers do not exist to let them clear out their unsold backlog!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2004
I was so happy when my boyfriend surprised me with a subscription to Lucky!! This is a great magazine for women aged 20-35 and is about the thing we love best: SHOPPING!
Lucky is a great resource for extending your wardrobe in a smart, fashionable way that won't break the bank! If you're looking for real tips on wearable clothes and makeup and are tired of reading articles like "How to Please Your Man" (Cosmo) and "Here's What the New York Socalites Are Wearing" (Vogue), then Lucky is the magazine for you! Here are some of its monthly features:
- A page with "Yes" and "Maybe" sticky tabs for marking things you'd like to buy. No more messy dog-ears!
- Lucky Breaks: The back of the magazine has listings of clothes, accessories and makeup from hot stores that you get discounts on! (Many are online too, for easy at home shopping!)
- Four Girls, One...: This section shows one article of clothing worn by 4 different women in 4 differnt ways (ie. tough, sexy, work, weekend)
- The Lucky Guide: Showcases pages of a particular item of clothing including price and where to buy them. (January's issue featured lingerie)
- A Week's Worth of Style: Shows a modern woman and how she turns a few articles of clothing and accessories into a weeks worth of great looks. (January showcased Carolina Herrera Jr)
- Lucky Life: Great ideas for decorating your home in a fresh, funky style.
- City Spotlight: Showcases the great stores in one city per month, including such places as London and Vancouver, not just the US! (Includes phone numbers and/or websites so you can actually buy the clothes!)
People may complain that there are a lot of ads in Lucky, but have they not noticed them in other magazines? Lucky is dedicated to shopping, so ads make sense, and they're not any more prevelant than any other magazine.
This magazine gives fashion and beauty advice that you can use, and clothing you can actually afford to wear! As a 22 year old, I know that's what I'M looking for in a fashion magazine!
on February 23, 2005
Ok, first of all, to settle the skinny-model debate, truth is that fashions spreads are shot way before they appear in the magazine so only samples of the clothes are available then. Fashion samples come exclusively in sizes 5 to 7 (or used to last time I checked) so it takes a model that is a 5 to 7 to model them. Also, in Lucky's defense I have to say that A LOT of their fashion pictures feature only the clothes laid out with no one wearing them, but anyway...

As far as the magazine goes, I enjoy it. Since it devotes itself entirely to shopping, it gives great advice on fashion, beauty, and home decorating. To be honest with you, I'd become disillusioned with other magazines as far as fashion went (No Cosmo, sadly I don't wear green satin gym short shorts with stilettos to the office) and the fashion Lucky presents seems far more real. True, I still find the occasional "I'd never wear that" item but mostly I find great tips for dressing either up or down, office or weekend. It's great. More than anything, it works amazingly well as a shopping companion what with some more affordable stores are coming out with great items, Lucky along with its "Yes" and "Maybe?" tags is great to take along and copy a few looks for a lot less. Some people have given some very negative reviews but they should realize that this magazine works as a guide, not a rulebook.

The Beauty section is good but not great and certainly not that different from Beauty sections found in any other magazine of this type. I'm not gonna remark so much on it except I enjoy the previews of new products.

The home decorating part I really enjoy. For the most part, the looks they propose are neutral and pretty Still, they find a few looks that are more daring and I'm certain a lot of people are eager to try. No matter the looks you choose, decorating in this manner is way easy to emulate at home.

With so many areas where to glean useful advice, this is agreat all-around magazine. Obviously if you don't enjoy shopping, this is not the maagzine for you but still fun to look at. Whether you enjoy following its advice or taking it shopping with you or not, Lucky makes for a well-rounded shopping chica!
on September 2, 2002
If you are always looking for new beauty products and want to know about the hottest fashions, this magazine is for you! I have found out about some great products by reading Lucky that I probably wouldn't have learned about otherwise.
It definitely falls in the category of "light reading"! Great for bringing with you on an airplane, and kind of like looking through a catalog, only more informative and with products from lots of different stores and companies.
I love the "Yes!" and "Maybe" stickers that come with each issue. Helps you keep track of all those items you want to consider purchasing later on.
My only complaint is that many of the clothes are REALLY expensive. Would be nice to see more reasonbly priced items.
on December 29, 2001
My addiction is shopping for clothes, make-up, and anything interesting or quirky, and Lucky showcases it all and tells you where to buy it. In every issue they dissect different looks and show you how to build them yourself, which doesn't necessarily mean you have to spend thousands of dollars on name brands.
Since I travel a lot, I LOVE the shopping guides for different cities. Many times you don't have the time to find the best shopping (I'm usually horribly disappointed by the mainstream shops that are easy to find) and this takes all the guesswork out of shopping in a strange city.
on June 28, 2002
A magazine about shopping ... Does it get any better? It's like a whole issue of "What's Hot Now". If you like handbags, shoes, and clothes this one's for you. Info on cosmetics and skincare as well as hair too! It helps keep you posted on the latest styles in every price range. Recommends items from Target to 5th Ave. Some issues are better than others. I love the "sticky tabs" they provide for "tabbing" pages when you see somthing you like.
on October 22, 2004
I would just like to say that you should not listen to the people who rated this great magazine so low. Lucky does an awesome job of showing us what is hot for the current season.

1) It DOES NOT just show skinny models in the in-style clothes, they have plenty of sections that are products only.

2) For those who criticise the price of the items they show, you can also use Lucky as a guide when you go shopping so you can see the styles in cheaper brands.

3) For those of you who want articles and something to read, then obviously a magazine called "the magazine all about shopping" is not for you, so it is not right to rate the magazine so low.
on October 29, 2001
I first thought this was pretty cheesy (judging from the cover), but it's actually a kind of cool magazine as far as fashion mags go. It tells you where to buy everything, provides websites or phone numbers, etc.
Plus, it's very cool to see a magazine with affordable clothes from places we can actually buy them.