Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon December 7, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
THE LUCKY DUCK is the story of a duck evading attack by a fox. The idea of the story is one of survival of the fittest and the natural change of the season but it reads like a "B" rated horror movie. The rhyme is lackluster at best and the illustrations seem dark and sinister. The 1st graders I read the story to needed reassurance that the animals were safe. They also required additional explanation to what was going on, as they couldn't relate the pictures to the storyline. Please understand that this review is based on a proof copy of the book, but the grammatical and spelling errors should have been caught much earlier. If you have to do more work explaining and consoling, you obviously need to pick another book - so I'll pass on this one.

Deltareviewer
Reviewing for Real Page Turners
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 10, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Lucky Duck is a great example of classic children's storytelling, following the rhythm and moral of ancient tales. The problem is, as one might expect, the harsh world of bygone generations seems eerie, cold, and cruel in a modern light, leaving the reader feeling unresolved and uneasy after the final verse.

And while the text is flinchingly bad, the illustrations are truly the book's undoing. The pictures follow the simple lines and flat-motion form of classic influences, but are rendered in what appears to be Microsoft Paint (just a guess, but I can't be far off). The shading is inconsistent and amateurish, and the choices of font, text-block location, and page layout are truly dreadful.

How this story ever made press, most especially in this format is truly a mystery.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 9, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
While the illustrations are done very well creating excitement and emotion throughout, the text itself is in need of a good editor's touch. Even the back cover states, "...colorful pictures will have young children interested weather reading in a classroom or at home." The simple mistake of weather VS whether on the cover itself indicates this has not gone through several sets of eyes before publication which will frustrate readers, let alone children.
VINE VOICEon December 10, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I read "Lucky Duck," I found it to be an enchanting story that contains all the ingredients that children love. There are colorful illustrations, various characters who come in contact with Lucky Duck, and a definite moral to the plot. Although written for the very young, it has educational aspects nicely woven into the storyline. The rhyming couplets will have special appeal to the children; therefore, I recommend it without reservation.
on January 8, 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wanted to like this book. But, I was deeply disappointed with the pacing and story-telling here. I felt there were two stories here and neither was given the best treatment. There is the story of a duck's coming-of-age journey and the story of a duck's getting away from a hungry fox.
The author should have chosen one of the above and gave it all her attention.
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Disclaimer - I received a proof copy as part of the Vine reviewer program, so some of my comments may not apply to the final product.

The Lucky Duck is a cute story about a duck who makes a deal with a fox and escapes with his life. Very "Aesop's Fables" in feel.

At 22 pages, the book is a quick read and the pages are filled with gorgeous color. My 5 yr. old son and 9 yr. old daughter both liked the illustrations.

That said, this isn't a book we'll go back to over and over again. As mentioned in my disclaimer, my copy is a "proof," so many of the errors may be corrected in a saleable copy. My copy is filled with misspellings and punctuation errors, not to mention rather awkward wording... it isn't very poetic and lacks flow.

I read the story to my son... then gave it to my daughter. She read it and left it on the table... where it still sits as I type this review. No one has asked me to read it again and it wasn't brought into the bed last night.

In other words...

it's going to the thrift store.

With the errors corrected and the wording improved a bit, I'd say this is a $4 or $5 book.
VINE VOICEon December 23, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Lucky Duck is a story about nature and is a colorful illustration. A children's picture book for children in grades one through five. The author writes with rhyme and is a delightful tale that encourages children to explore concepts about fairness, friendship, caring and kindness through nature. A hardback book with a cover that is beautifully illustrated with a fox and duck on the cover. The pages are filled with bold and vibrant imaginative illustrations, the art work is superb to ignite the child's imagination. I highly recommend this children's book, both you and your children will enjoy reading this story together time and time again all while delivering a great lesson of caring.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 21, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
"The Lucky Duck" is a very good story. I enjoyed how the duck wasn't afraid to help the fox when he was in need. "The Lucky Duck" is a very easy read and I believe kids of all ages would enjoy it.
VINE VOICEon December 18, 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love this book. So inspiring and fun to read. My niece loved it and so did I.