As I sit here trying to write this review, my husband is measuring everything in sight. He is telling me how far I am from him, how far I am from the wall, and all kinds of stuff I am not tuning into. He is in construction so tools are important to him and he tests them all thoroughly.

When I finally managed to pin him down, here is what he said about this...
Published 14 months ago by Colorgirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Tape Measure, the lock just doesn't hold very well
It's heavy, but does what it needs to do. I just wish the lock on it would work well --- it slips very easily, even after I lock it.

Published 8 months ago by BaconCheddaScone

5.0 out of 5 stars HELP! My husband won't stop measuring everything! -- A Contractor's Perspective, April 24, 2013
This review is from: Lufkin CS8525 Control Series Power Tape, 1-3/16-Inch by 25-Feet, Orange/Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

When I finally managed to pin him down, here is what he said about this Power Tape from his perspective as someone who really uses it:

COLOR- He loves the color because it is easy to find.

TAPE WIDTH- The size of the extra wide rule is excellent, and he likes that it is all feet and inches with no metric system on it.

TAPE THICKNESS- The tape is extra thick which makes it stand out over 10 feet which makes it much easier for one person to use.

DRAG STRIP- You can also control the drag strip with one finger which is also nicer as you usually need two fingers with many tapes. This one is easy and really does drag well with just one finger.

D RING- The ring for the strap is sturdy and very convenient to hang from a belt or hook.

TAPE OPERATION- The operation of the tape is very smooth and easy to control and retracts easily but not too fast to make it frustrating to use.

EASINESS TO READ- Another thing about this tape measure is that it is easy to read, something that will be important to those who might need reading glasses or have a hard time seeing up close. The fine increments you might need glasses for if you are far sighted.

CLIP STRENGTH- Another big thing for him is the clip- it holds quite well, one of his pet peeves about measuring tapes is when they fall off.

PACKAGING- The packaging was tricky to get off at first, but he figured it out pretty quickly.

I also find the tape easy to use too, although I am not as prone to do a LOT of measuring like my husband is always doing.

Well, he is off to measure the rest of the house now before setting off to his next project - this Power Tape is a big hit around here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Solid Handy Tape, April 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love tape measures, and I own several. I have small ones (measures a few feet) and big ones that measure yards (back yards!). Anyway, this one by Lufkin is great for big wood projects--such as sheds. (I've built 2). It is 25 feet long, the numbers are nice and big so its easy to read, and it has black markers for feet and a red marker every 16 inches; so you tell at a glance exactly what you're dealing with. After the first foot, red numbers at the top tell how many inches are in the current foot. For example at the 17 inch mark is also a red 5 so you can either read it as 1 foot 5 inches or 17 inches. (Yards are not indicated.)

At the end of my other tapes, there's a little hook that I put at the end of a board I'm measuring to cut. It always jumps off the end about a nano-second before I mark a measurement. On this one there's a great big hook that reminds me of a saw horse. It hugs the end of the board. When I'm finished with my measurement, I can lift it ( the metal tape is U-shaped and won't go all floppy if you try to lift off the hook) and the return reel rolls it back into the holder. They ought to put a warning label on that thing because the coil spring could run Big Ben--the all-metal tape comes back in pretty quick. (Warning! You could have a 25-foot paper cut!)

To keep the tape in place once you've pulled it out is a top locking lever that you can thumb into place, and the other is what they call a "drag strip." This allows you to stop the tape with your finger without locking it so you can adjust it before locking it. Finally, it has a belt hook so that you can slip it on your belt and carry it around while working with it, and it has a D-ring that you can use to hook it on the wall with your other tools. This sucker is heavy, well made, and very well thought-out for lots of different projects where you need an accurate measure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unisex tool!, April 28, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Every woman wants her own measuring tape. I don't mean one of those vinyl roll up tapes used for measuring fabric--though those are nice, too--but the kind of tape used by carpenters and construction workers. Ladies, you know you are always measuring something--sofas, bookcases, tables, beds, floors, walls, doorways, windows. Your kids! Because it's up to you to know whether or not something is going to fit in the space you've bought it for, and, believe me, none of you want to end up sitting on the floor in tears because the gorgeous armoire you found at that little out of the way antique store is too wide after all and blocks the door to the bathroom!

This Lufkin Control Series 25 foot measuring tape is perfect to prevent those kinds of disasters. And it can be your very own! No more rummaging around in someone else's greasy tool box looking for a tape that is probably not there anyway. Just go to your special hiding place and retrieve this professional little jewel and you're in business. Strong, wide, 25-foot heavy duty tape that is clearly marked in inches and glides out, smooth and quiet, and can be held at the desired length by pressing your forefinger against something they call a Drag Strip. There's also a lock down for when you want to keep the tape at a specific measurement without having to hold it. And this baby zips the tape back in like a speed demon! Then there is the clip on the back for hanging on a belt and a integrated D-ring for attaching the tape to a strap. And finally it comes in black and orange designer colors! You'll feel like such a professional using this tape that pretty soon you'll be eyeing table saws!

But fair warning! Hide this Lufkin tape well. Because others will also love it, and may not be above "borrowing" it. And then you'll be back to hunting through someone else's tool box. Of course, you could always buy two--one to give, one to keep. They are that great. Highly recommended, ladies, for you and for those you love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Heavy Duty Tape!, April 24, 2013
J. M WILINSKY (teaneck, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This tape measure is the heaviest 25ft tape I have ever held. It is super durable and has a very dependable feel and appearance. The operation is very smooth and fast and, as with others, you must be careful not to retract it too quickly. The features are as described, so I need not rehash them but let me just mention what it doesn't have. Most tape measures state on the bottom what the bottom dimension is for making inside measurements(like measuring the inside width of a door opening). This tape has a bottom width of 3.5 inches but it is not printed anywhere on the tape case so you just have to remember it or measure it with another measure, which is not very convenient. I see no reason why they left this minor but important detail out. Also, be aware that this is an inch and foot measure and has no metric divisions. If you want metric, you have to buy another tape, which is not unusual. I should also point out that this is very heavy and if you don't need the ten foot reach or super durability, you might buy a smaller lighter tape that won't weigh you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hefty measuring tape, April 23, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I received my Lufkin CS8525 25 foot tape recently, and the first thing I noticed is just how hefty the thing is. I measured it at 2 1/4 inches thick, and about 4 inches across at the corners. It weighs in at about 17 or 18 ounces, which is pretty solid and hefty. It might hang okay on a big tool belt by its clip, but I wouldn't want to clip it on my blue jeans belt. The yellow metal tape itself is over an inch across, and it's very strongly curled so it will hold its shape when extended. As a test I almost got it out to a full 10 feet before it drooped suddenly from its own weight. That's a long reach when you're measuring something by yourself. The hook at the end of the tape is very strong and quite large, making it easy to hook over something at a distance, again being a great feature when measuring things by yourself. The bright red and black plastic casing feels extremely sturdy, although I haven't put it to a lot of use yet. One feature I really like is how they built in a smooth opening at the bottom where it's natural to slow the tape's spring loaded retrieval without having to slide the locking tab at the top. You can use the tab, but the finger technique works really well and gives a much more precise and instant control to the tape. The strong but small metal clip at the side looks like it would work okay some places, but the plastic housing has a nice wide "eye hole" where it would be easy to put a strap or rope through for hanging it somewhere, and that looks like a better way to do so. My guess is this tape could be put to a lot of really hard usage and it will hold up well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid Tape Measure, the lock just doesn't hold very well, October 23, 2013

I do love that the tape measure holds steady up until 10 feet, without falling limp. I also love that it doesn't retract insanely fast - other tape measures can retract so fast that I've gotten cuts on my fingers or gotten slapped on my face. This one retracts at the perfect speed that it doesn't compromise safety.

4.0 out of 5 stars Been using for a week without problems, May 20, 2013
Jessica Elliott (Streator, IL United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This product feel durable right out of the packaging. It has a solid feel, looks so professional, is quiet and easy to use and has connectors on back to put on belt or other work product. I love it!! So far I have measured places inside and outside and while it is larger than what I am used to, I don't think I can ever go back to the junky one I previously had!! This one is just so smooth! It locks so you can take your measurement and closes up quickly. Definitely in use at our house and I've told everyone to keep their hands off of it, because everyone else wants to "borrow" it as well! Definitely a great product that will get it's use at our house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Control And No Bending Wiggly Tape Up To 10 Feet, May 10, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In our house, we have used every type of tape measurer for everything you can possibly repair or build. I've used yardsticks for measuring windows, cloth or metal measuring tapes for measuring counter tops, boards, cupboards, floors, even large T Square rulers for measuring insulation for cutting and the biggest measuring tape we bought was an Empire 200 foot fiber glass tape when we had to measure the yard for a fence and a garage years ago, but not one of them can compare to this heavy duty Lufkin Power Tape.

The main problem with all my measuring tapes is accuracy and control. Every metal power tape we own becomes a wet noodle, bending as soon as it gets unrolled over a couple of feet. This Lufkin power tape can be unrolled to 10 feet by one person and not bend!! I have never owned any power tape like this Lufkin. Every tape I own takes 2 people and several measurements before being certain of being accurate. This Lufkin is the first tape that I have ever owned where one person can make an accurate measurement- only measuring twice. (We always measure twice and cut once.)

This 25 foot power tape is both heavy and heavy duty. It's bright orange and black colors are easy to find even in a mess when you are working. The heavy curved yellow metal tape itself is clearly marked with large numbers in both red and black which easily stand out and there are clear markings in inches and feet. The starting end has a heavy duty hook that stays on the end you are measuring and even has notches and holes for attaching tacks for more stability. There is a fantastic drag strip, where you can hold your finger under the tape for making the tiniest adjustments, as well as a slide tab for locking the tape in place. There are both a loop and hook for easy belt attachment or carrying your power tape with you. This is the first and last metal power tape you will ever need for measuring things under 25 feet. With total control for one person, heavy duty construction that will last for decades and no more tape flopping and bending like a wet noodle, Lufkin has earned it's perfect 5 Stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Solidly Constructed Tape Measure, April 28, 2013
Buddy S (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This 25 foot tape measure is housed in an orange and black hard plastic case, but the black portion has a rubbery feel which should keep it from slipping too easily out of a hand or off of a hard object. The tape is wide and sturdy and the extended tape does stand out for 10 feet, as advertised. The first foot of the measure is denominated in 32nds of an inch and the remainder is in 16ths. To make measuring jobs easier, the tape also has markings in numbers for each foot and numbers in red for the inches in each foot. There are also red markings at 16 inch intervals, an aid for figuring out the placement or location of studs.

The exterior of the tape has a belt clip and a D ring which is useful for attaching this tool to a belt or hook. The locking lever, which holds the extended tape firmly in place, engages and disengages easily and the extended tape retracts smoothly. I like the opening at the bottom of the tape, called a drag strip finger access, which allows you to slow or stop the retracting tape with an index finger, before locking it.

This Lufkin tape measure is heavy and seems to be durable. I previously used a Stanley 33-425 Powerlock 25-Foot by 1-Inch Measuring Tape, but I am now making this Lufkin product my preferred tape measure. It is reasonably priced and I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Durable and Hefty with a Comfortable Grip, April 27, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Lufkin CS8525 Control Series 25 Foot Power Tape appears to be durable enough to outlast all the other measuring tapes I have owned. The case is sturdy and has a rubber grip and has already taken a fall on my garage floor from a ladder and unlike some other brands did not fly apart. It fits comfortably in the hand and the finger control grip on the bottom aides in executing a smoother retraction. This helps in making many measurements without the tape snapping back into the case.

The pull out of the tape is smooth and even with minimal side to side movement. At 1 3/16 wide the yellow tape has larger and bolder black numbers for both feet and inches, the 16 inch intervals for studs are clearly marked by red squares. The tape is thicker and wider aiding in a good 10 foot standout where other models begin to sag. It also has duller side edges to prevent fingers from getting cuts when winding back into the case. I found the thumb push slide on the top able to hold the extended tape securely with little pressure.

This is a solid built tape measure, unlike the last half dozen Stanley measuring tapes under the work bench with torn off end clips, this Lufkin model has a wide and firmly secured end-hook held onto the tape with 4 pins. The wider clip helps ensure a good grasp on objects when extending the full 25 foot length.

I have to rate the Lufkin Control Series tape measure as one of the best I will ever own. With the durability of this one it looks like I'll have it along time. I recommend it for your tool box and give it 5 Stars like it deserves.

Rate and Discover Movies