Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Luxury Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

VINE VOICEon November 12, 2012
First off, yes, it's an expensive backpack, but it's a Tumi. Since it's a Tumi, I expect years and years of service from it. The bag is made from their signature ballistic nylon so it should last decades like my luggage. The fit and finish are superb on this bag. All the zippers were protected for shipping so the bag was flawless on arrival. It is a very nice looking bag, the photos don't do it justice. There is a protected slot for a laptop, one for an iPad, one for what could be a netbook or file folders, a generous main cargo area and numerous side and front pockets, one of which includes a key hanger. I found the iPad slot didn't work for my iPad with its Jobi Ori cover, but the netbook sized slot worked fine. 15" laptop also fit fine. This bag will carry clothes for an overnighter in the main cargo area. There is a water bottle holder. The bag fit great in an airplane's overhead bin and under the seat.

All in all, it's a Tumi so it is functional, good looking, and will last nearly forever under hard use.

Update 3/16/2013:
Still looks great, and I am still glad I purchased it. In fact I just bought another as a gift.
on February 19, 2013
I use this bag to carry my important stuff when I travel, and it is close to perfect.

The laptop sleeve inside is sized to best fit a laptop the size of a MacBook Pro or similar laptop. These days when I travel I carry an UltraBook sized laptop (a Lenovo Yoga 13), and there's plenty of room for that. You could probably squeeze in a thick laptop, but I think it may stress the lining a bit. There is another pouch opposite the laptop sleeve for carrying a tablet or second laptop. I stick my iPad in there.

One surprise I had is that there is no extra padding in the bottom of the laptop sleeve, so you can't slam the bag down hard on ground. It's less of a problem if you laptop uses a SSD hard drive, but for regular "spinning" hard drives, you need to be careful. Tumi should add some gel padding in the bottom of the laptop sleeve in future generations of this bag.

The materials are excellent (as I would expect) and it has survived many trips so far without a hitch. One of my favorite aspects of this bag is that it doesn't balloon outward as you pile in a lot of stuff. Other packs I've owned grow horizontally, sticking out further and further from your back, which is a problem when traveling. This one keeps its shape well. The two wide vertical stripes you see on the front of the bag are made from the same material as a seat belt (it seems to me), so maybe they help to keep the bag from getting misshapen when full. It all looks and works great.

The drink holder pocket (on the right side of the photo) is deep enough to hold a 1 liter SmartWater bottle. If you put a small water bottle in there, it sinks down so low you might forget it's in there.

I recommend this Tumi pack to anyone looking for a great-looking bag that can handle a lot of daily use, while keeping its shape nicely. Well worth the extra money you pay for a Tumi.
44 comments|26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2014
Great bag -- ONE BIG ISSUE. There's very little padding on the bottom of the laptop compartment. You'll have to be very careful when putting your bag down. I would not have purchased this bag had I known this. Seems like a simple fix for an otherwise great bag and brand.
on June 14, 2014
After having looked at a huge variety of backpacks, the Kingsville Brief Pack stood out as one of the most versatile and best looking for work and college. I don't typically write many reviews, but I felt compelled to after being so impressed.

Appearance:

I have received numerous compliments on the bag's appearance. The photos truly don't do it justice- the bag looks incredibly professional, making it useful for a variety of situations. In fact, it's the most professional looking backpack I've seen, not including the fully-leather bags. It's not terribly bulky, but it holds more than one might expect. It also lays very nicely on your back. Tumi will monogram your bag in-store for free, if you'd like. I went with the blind stamp, and it looks great.

The charcoal grey with leather is truly beautiful in person. Unlike other color options, the Anthracite bag has contrasting metal zippers. This, combined with the silver hardware and the luggage tag, gives this bag a very unique appearance.

The bag appears to be very well constructed, though I have only used it for about a week. The shoulder straps are very comfortable, and really feel good on your back as compared to most other bags (even with a lot of weight).

I wish this bag was waterproof, but it really isn't (minus the waterproof umbrella pocket). Rain has gotten on my bag, and the bag has kept a lot of it out, but the fabric tends to wrinkle and I would not trust my electronics in this bag in the rain. Buy a large umbrella!

Features:

First of all, my bag DID include the Add-a-bag feature. It may have been different in 2012 or 2013, but rest assured that this bag, at least in Anthracite, will have it. I don't expect to use this feature a great deal, but it is nice to know that, if the need arises, I can easily wheel my bag along with my luggage.

At first, the two side pockets (and upper front pocket) don't seem terribly practical- there's nothing in them (no pockets or pen loops). I've found, however, that my glasses + case fit perfectly in the bottom side pocket with a pack of kleenex, I can keep my phone and some advil in the top side pocket, and the front upper pocket is a perfect spot for a pack of Altoids and whatever else. The front bottom pocket only has two pen loops (a downside for me), but it has a space right behind the pen loops where you can clip other pens, pencils, and markers. In that pocket, I can also easily store my wallet, my keys (with attached key fob), and a small flashlight. I'm essentially able to store everything I need, although I suppose that a little extra space (and a few more pen loops) would be useful.

If you have a lot of electronics (external hard drives, small cables, adapters, iPods, etc.) this bag alone is not very competent at holding them. I recommend buying an electronics organizer case, like the one sold by AmazonBasics.

The umbrella/bottle pocket is waterproof and large- I'm storing a Totes umbrella with a canopy arc of 55". There is also a small pocket attached to the umbrella pocket where I keep iKlear and contact solution.

I love the accordion sides on the two main pockets- they prevent documents and other items from falling out of the bag. The back main pocket has a laptop sleeve, and the front has an iPad sleeve (note that my iPad 4 with its bulky case could not fit- I needed to first remove the case).

There are two great, large interior pockets for cables or whatever else as well (one zippered in the front main pocket and one open in the back).

I can easily fit a few textbooks and folders, a macbook, an iPad, several cables, a zip bag, a bike lock, and either a camera bag or bicycle helmet in the bag without any problem. I might even be able to fit a windbreaker too.

And, of course, you benefit from Tumi's bag recovery system. Don't forget to have your bag registered!
_________________

All in all, this bag, with its large holding capacity and a professional appearance, is incredibly versatile. I feel totally confident that I will be using this bag throughout work, bicycle riding, weekend trips, college, and grad school without an issue. It's expensive, but I don't mind paying more for something that I will use literally every day.
on August 19, 2013
I travel by plane each week and wanted a bag with adequate space, plenty of the right sized pockets, and top quality. This bag fits the bill. My favorite aspects are that it stands up when opened, more like a briefcase rather than a backpack. I travel with a Lenovo brick (work) and a macbook air (personal), both fit well in the computer pocket.

Other notable features:
Waterproof water bottle pocket that can fit a liter bottle
Add-a-bag sleeve to set on top of a roller bag (why in the world to more backpacks not have this??)

Don't get me wrong, $400 for a bag was tough to shell out, but for something that I use everyday, it's worth it to me.
on January 30, 2015
The bag is really roomy and the pockets are organized well. It's also one of the most comfortable backpacks I've owned.

It does have a couple of major flaws you need to consider before purchasing it.
1. There is no padding in the bottom of the laptop sleeve

2. The ad-a-bag sleeve is too narrow to accommodate any of my luggage handles. I tried it on all of my Briggs and Samsonite. No dice. Probably designed to work only with Tumi luggage which is a shame because it's a nice feature.
on July 18, 2014
Initially I was a bit concerned at the cost of this rucksack but the reviews swayed me and I bought one for an upcoming flight to Europe. I was amazed at how many pockets there are and the carrying capacity of this bag, each time I was looking for somewhere to put something the perfect pocket appeared. This is a very well designed bag and I don't begrudge paying more for this bag than the two suitcases I also took with me.
on July 3, 2013
it's a really nice bag. The front and back opening system - you have a front top entry for putting in items no bigger than say 12 by 16 by 5 or so. And, you have the rear huge openings for laptop and files.

some negatives. First the side pockets seem spacious in the beginning but when the main compartment is full the side pockets gets squished. If I try to fill it with stuff, it starts to protrude pushing the width of the bag into 15 inch territory which spells trouble for storing underneath aisle seats. The front pockets are OK but the top one is shockingly shallow. Secondly, the two pockets inside that are about 5 inches deep are a mystery. They are so skinny that I can't put my hand down there all the way (it's not elastic) yet, they seem like they have a purpose for something.

Oh, and the laptop section isn't padded on the bottom. I highly doubt I can simply drop this bag on the ground without damaging my laptop. The Tumi Alpha's have a system where the bottom the laptop has a gel/foam padding. This one is alfresco. and it doesn't have the add-bag strap either.
on May 27, 2015
Nice bag. Well made. A little on the small side.
This is a sturdy bag that is comfortable to carry and wear. I have the shoulder straps extended fully so it might be tight for a bigger guy.
The bag looks nice and has lots of pockets but some of them are really tiny and I wonder how practical they are.
From a construction perspective, I would say it is well put together and of quality materials.
Fits my 15" laptop, tablet, Kindle and large noise-canceling bose headphone set but would not fit much more than that when I travel.
One point to note is that the bottom of the bag is just cloth and there is no padding so your laptop/tablet is not protected in any way when you set the bag down.
on June 25, 2014
This is a great bag. It is not too big, but it can hold a lot of gear. I have a 2013 MacBook Pro, a Dell 14 inch Laptop, and an iPad and they all fit with the power cords. The bag sits upright, but it may tip if something is heavy in the back sleeve. There are lots of external pockets for smaller gear such as flashlights, pens, notepads, etc. The only issue I had was that there are two plastic rivets on the pockets that holds the long gear such as a mug or umbrella, and after 6 months, one of the rivets broke off causing a hole in the bag. Luckily, my go to department store gave me a full refund and I bought another one. I believe Tumi will fix your bags, but I did not want to deal with the hassle so I just went back to my store as I always do for big ticket items. $450 is a lot for a backpack, but if you need something nice for a business environment, I recommend this bag. Just be careful where you buy the bag since I have heard that some versions don't have the add a bag sleeve on the backpack or that some retailers may not be generous with their return policy.