Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Maxwell Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on June 1, 2005
Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls at first brought back memories of my own reading material when I was a pre-teen, but after the first few chapters I really got into the plot and forgot that I was reading a book aimed at young adults. The first person narrative is witty and smart and draws on a lot of pop culture references that I was fortunate enough to get. I think that young girls who are looking for something a little different from the mainstream books that are usually marketed to them will really enjoy this change of pace. The characters are snarky and a little jaded for their age, but they always remain morally centered and essentially honest. The twists and turns of the mystery will also keep them intrigued until the last chapter.
on June 4, 2005
This book is an utter delight. It's witty and a little campy, but the author manages to keep the tone relaxed. You'll cheer for the mean but well-intentioned Lulu. You'll fall in love with the sensitive Charlie (swoon) and you'll cringe at the evil-hearted Swede Svenska. Mr. Madison has constructed a mystery for the everygirl. If you hate girls who wear sequined tube tops or cringe at the thought of losing your knockoff Prada purse, this book is for you.
on November 13, 2005
If you're looking for a quick read (that mirrors those notorious chick-flicks), look no further. Lulu wasn't a bad book, it just was a little over-clichéd in some parts. I didn't feel like I got very much from it...it was like watching a TV show.

However, it reminded me of the Georgia Nicholson series, always a plus. It was a good laugh, but nothing worth buying or reading more than once. Definitely a good book to relax with.
on June 17, 2008
I nearly put this book down after three chapters because I didn't really care that the self-centered, shallow main character lost her purse. And I'm annoyed with books where the kids are so much smarter than the adults in their lives - teachers, hotel workers, police detectives, etc. And the parents are virtually non-existent in the lives of their children. Those are cop-out cliches to allow the main character free reign to do as she pleases and solve a mystery that adults aren't able to.

But I finished it, so I guess that says something. I was curious to see if the author could believably have this not-terribly intelligent girl solve a mystery. In my opinion this didn't really pass the believability test, but that's just me. I see plenty of people enjoyed the book, and that there are sequels, so maybe this is just not my thing.
on November 29, 2007
Lulu Dark is rich, beautiful and has it all, that is until her favorite purse gets stolen at a club in Halo City. Now Lulu is going to catch the witch who stole her knock-off and maybe solve a murder along the way.

I laughed, I cringed and I loved every minute of Lulu's adventure. This book does have a little older audience in mind, so if you're only looking for an updated Nancy Drew, you might want to try something else. But if you're a little old for Nancy or want something a little more hip, this is the mystery series for you.
on September 10, 2007
So, I'm still mourning the cancellation of "Veronica Mars" and then I find this book at the local library. Perfect. Lulu Dark isn't Veronica Mars, and she makes pains to let us know she's not Nancy Drew either in some clever deconstructionist rants (Bennet Madison, the Stratemeyer Syndicate wants your head!), but what we have here is a fun first book about a teen detective. Madison has fun with contemporary fashion and slang, but gives us a very traditional setting. As with Nancy and Veronica, Lulu's mom is en absentia, although they're in touch. Lulu has her cohorts in crime who bring their own special skills to the table. And Lulu is unwilling to be a detective at first, but then gets caught up in the game when the stakes become personal. Madison cleverly sets up a dilemma that forces Lulu to do what most teens are loathe to do: look at themselves through the eyes of others. To say anything else that this is done in a concrete manner is giving things away.

One of my favorite aspects of the novel is the town Lulu inhabits: Halo City (great name!) Madison gives the city its own feel and topography, and the reader can actively create their own version of Lulu's hometowns and not feel they are missing anything. I've alreayd picked up the second Lulu Dark mystery and look forward to seeing what happens next. Veronica is gone, but teen detectives are still around.
on June 30, 2010
Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls was an intriguing mystery of a girl who claims she is not the stereotypical girl detective. But she is forced to do some sleuthing when her favorite knock-off purse is stolen, and nothing seems to add up. Lulu knows this isn't just your normal theft, and therefore she investigates and gets tangled in with all the unexpected chaos. A schoolmate is found dead, her identity is stolen (or rather copied), and with the help of her two best friends, she solves her mystery and eventually finds the missing purse. Bennett Madison is a great author with mysteries, and i now need to read the sequal to this one!
on May 3, 2006
I thought that this book was really great. It's about a girl named Lulu Dark. She goes to a party one night and her beloved purse is stolen. She goes to find out who took it and she starts to become more and more like a detective everyday, the very people she despises, as she puts the pieces of the mystery puzzle together, trying to figure out who took her purse. The plot took many unexpected turns which made the book suspenseful, which is the main reason why I liked it. In the end, I was shocked to find out who the culprit was.

I REALLY liked this book and can't wait for the sequel to come out.
on July 27, 2005
Even though I'm in my twenties and this is a teen book, I still loved it! Lulu is an adorable, funny, cute character that really keeps this story moving along. I won't tell you what the story is about because every review here has it. I will tell you that Bennett Madison is a great author! He knows how to write and I hope he continues to do so. (...) he says there will be a sequal called 'Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox'. I hope it comes out soon! I do think this should be a whole series of little adventures and mysteries.
on August 12, 2005
What a wonderfuly quirky little book! It is the small things that made this book for me, the plot had its twists and turns and the overall story was imaginative and well thought out but my favorite parts were the small, seemingly insignifigant character traits that made the characters have real depth. Lulu's cowboy boots and fringe, Daisy's obnoxious mother and all the idepth descriptions of Halo City's funkiest establisments made the whole thing come to life. A hoot from begining to end. I cant wait for the next one!