5.0 out of 5 stars My room is freezing!
Published 23 months ago by marcus c.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works like an air conditioner
This tower is ok for a very small confined area. Does not cool a 12 x 12 room in 90 degree weather.
Published 11 months ago by whitebuf

5.0 out of 5 stars My room is freezing!, September 26, 2012
This review is from: Luma Comfort EC45S Tower Evaporative Cooler with 125 Square Foot Cooling, 250 CFM (Misc.)
I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in Hollywood CA. I have an in wall ac unit like most people do out here and no A/C in my bedroom. So I decided to try this out.... Well I couldn't be happier. Even with my window closed this fan is strong enough to keep me cool. I usually don't even put water in it but if you want it to be cold get 2 gallons of water put them in the fridge for a day then throw them in this thing. Will make it even colder. I get very hot very very easily and still have no problem with it. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Cooler!, May 31, 2013
I live in a studio apartment where a 10,000-BTU a/c handles most of the cooling.

Unfortunately, the cold air doesn't quite reach the bathroom, around a corner through an alcove.

So for many years I have had a Slant/Fin Personal Zone Air Cooler perched on the window sill in there (it's a pre-war building with windows in the bathrooms), pointed down at me when I'm, uh, reading...

The S/F finally conked -- the motor gave out, and water leaked through the water level indicator window -- so I was looking for a compact air cooler to fit in the bathroom. S/F no longer makes air coolers, apparently.

Enter this unusual tower, which looks rather like one might expect Dr. Who's nemesis, a Dalek, to look like if the cyborg slimmed down and became a fashion model... Like a Dalek, this tower rolls around on casters, but it lacks a plunger or exterminator ray!

Goodness, but this Dalek blows a gust of cool air! If you used this just as a tower fan, it seems to blow more air at the highest of three fan speed settings than any tower fan I've ever encountered -- strong enough to make a plastic bottle of dental solution wobble on the bathtub rim three or four feet away!

But things get even cooler when you push the Cool button, activating a water pump that moistens a sponge-like wick through which air blows inside the tower. You add water to the reservoir that slides back from the base of the tower; the tower also comes with two ice packs you can chill in your freezer and slide into compartments in the water reservoir, yielding extra cool air for up to four hours, according to the instructions.

Other functions include a timer for automatic shut-off, side-to-side oscillation, a sleep mode that throttles down as the night air cools off while you sleep, and a "natural" mode, which randomly changes fan speed to simulate real breezes.

I am impressed by the manufacturer's attention to detail here. When you push a button, for example, the control lights get brighter, then dim after a few minutes. The tower also comes with a handy remote, duplicating all functions on the top switch panel. And the tower includes a washable air filter to keep the wick from getting gunked up by dust in the air.

One thing I'm not sure about is whether I will need to add some bleach to the water to prevent the fetid smells most coolers and humidifiers give off over time. The instructions don't address this issue. I can't imagine that the wick is treated with a germ-retardant that will continue to work after weeks and months.

In the meantime, however, this tower of power is sure keeping my bathroom cool and comfortable! The tower would probably work in any setting where you are within a five- or six-foot radius. I should mention as well that the fan is quiet, even at the highest setting.

I will report back if I encounter any problems. Until then, I am impressed by the amount of cooling this tower provides, running on less energy than an incandescent light bulb consumes...

UPDATE: I was dismayed to see how many other Amazon customers have had problems with this cooler since the time I wrote my review. My Luma continues to work perfectly. So I guess buying one of these is not the slam-dunk I thought it was originally. Still, the need exists for an air cooler with a compact footprint, and this is one of only two such designs that I am currently aware of (O2 Cool has just introduced a Dual-Fan Tower with a Mister on one of the fans -- I have ordered one and will review that unit as well). Caveat emptor!

UPDATE NUMBER TWO: I did finally start noticing a fetid smell when the machine is sitting idle. A few drops of scented bleach in the water solved the problem. I should probably also give the wick a soak in bleach.

PROS:

* Tower form uses minimal floor space.
* Quiet in operation.
* Powerful fan.
* Swing mode disperses cool air.
* Several operating modes.
* Easy to maintain.
* Freezer packs for extra cooling.
* Remote control duplicates all functions.
* Minimum energy consumption.
* Casters enable easy re-positioning.

CONS:

* So far, haven't found any.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works like an air conditioner, September 6, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars YOU GOT TO GET YOURSELF ONE!, July 19, 2014
I LOVE THIS! I use it in my12x12 size bedroom sometimes in the summer time it gets really hot in there( so far the warmest it has gotten so far is 88 degrees will update my review if gets warmer than that) this air cooler keeps my room nice and cool,my 2 1/2 year old husky loves it she will lay near it when it gets too warm on her bed on the floor my other fur baby is still not sure about it so he sleeps on the other side of the room( if you have pets they maybe afraid of it for a couple days.) I set mine on top of my old hope chest put a towel on it first because water sometimes beads up on the water container just before bed time I fill it up with 1/2 water and1/2 ice and also one of the ice packs that come with it. This also comes with a remote control I set on the night stand so I can turn it up or turn it down it has 3 speeds the highest speed can be a little loud I mostly use the first 2 speeds.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to fix fan when it stops working, September 2, 2013
My husband and I have this fan and when it stopped working he took it apart and did some searching. He found that when it oscillates the tube that goes into the water is on the wrong side of the power cord going up into the body. Once it reaches is full turn to the left it pulls on the cord eventually weakening the connection. We simply pulled the water tube up and placed it to the right of the power cord and it runs fine now. You just have to take off the back panel and some of those screws to do that are located in the top part of the fan under the control panel. I how this helps.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are all Luma products garbage?, July 26, 2013
This is my 2nd swamp cooler made my Luma. The first one leaked gallons of water into my carpet and this one pumps enough water to wet the pad and the pump shuts off and then the fan fills the room with a nice moldy smell. Good luck getting a hold of customer service. They aren't big on answering the phone or responding to emails. Please do not buy Luma products, they are really cheap and not worth the headache and your lucky if you get one month before their products stop functioning. I hate Luma!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Regular fans work the same, July 7, 2014
This fan does not feel any cooler then the regular fans I own I have a small room and this does not cool it down at all

1.0 out of 5 stars STOPPED WORKING, June 27, 2014
THE PUMP STOP WORKING AFTER ONE MONTH. I PURCHASED THIS MACHINE BECAUSE AZ I IS A VERY DRY CLIMATE. THIS PURCHASE WAS A BAD DECISION WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS ONE AT ALL.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy, June 26, 2014
Weak not worth it, going to return for a refund.. just got a 8000 btu portable ac. Haiers to be exact... target carries them and it works sooo much better then this fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken, October 9, 2013
This little fan packs quite a punch. It's great as a stand alone fan. Couldn't tell if it actually got colder when water and ice packs were added. Mine could have been broken. Had to send it back because the sleep settings didn't work and the remote fell apart after a few days. Got it back and the sleep setting was still broken. Great little fan, but that's about all it does. Again, could have gotten a lemon.

Rate and Discover Movies