4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and refreshing summer read.
Published on July 6, 2010 by Alayne

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing some of the sparkle
Published on July 18, 2010 by Cheryl Koch

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun and refreshing summer read., July 6, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
In 2007 Gail Fraser's first novel The Lumby Lines was published and the Lumby series was born. This July, the fifth book in the Lumby series will be released. I had the pleasure of reading Lumby on the Air but hadn't read the earlier books in the series. Gail's website does specifically say you don't need to read the books in order, but it's recommended. I unfortunately had no time to read the first four books before I started Lumby on the Air, but I know now that I will happily read them at some point in the future. Lumby on the Air is delightful fun, an airy book with a family-style feel, just like Lumby itself.

Lumby on the Air centers around Mark and Pam Walker as they are about to host a family reunion in celebration of their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary and vow renewal. As Mark and Pam's family members converge on the little mountainside town of Lumby, personalities clash and long-standing issues collide, all making for an entertaining and intriguing week in the Walker's life.

I didn't quite know what to expect from this book, it's not something I would normally pick up while perusing bookshelves, but I am so glad I read Lumby on the Air. At times it does lack the finesse I like to see from good writers, but I can overlook that for it's better qualities. Lumby on the Air is simply a fun book, a wonderfully light read, about the quirks in every family, and the pulse of a small town set aside from corporate America; a town where neighbors are people who always come to your aid, regardless of how far away they may actually live.

Lumby on the Air was refreshing to read in the way I imagine visiting the actual town of Lumby would refresh me from city-living. It's nice to be reminded that there can still be places where people help each other instead of living a single-minded existence where we only worry about ourselves. Most of Gail Fraser's characters come to life on the page, and I feel like I know Pam and Mark and the people of Lumby. Small parts of the book are disconnected; Mark's sixteen-year-old niece Jessica is somewhat unrealistic because her personality and issues are over the top, but in general, each character was well-formed and amusing. Even the town mascot Hank, a plastic-pink flamingo (well, to be honest, I didn't get his character, but I have a feeling he'll be in the other books).

If you're looking for a nice summer read that you can relax with and not think too hard about, Lumby on the Air is perfect for the beach and bright weather.

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing some of the sparkle, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
Mark and Pam Walker are celebrating their twenty-fifth anniversary. They have invited their whole families. First Mark's sister, Lynn and her prized cat, Coco arrive. This comes as a huge surprise as Lynn's ex-husband embezzled money from Mark. Next comes Pam's mother and...boyfriend! Then comes Mark's sister, Nancy with her husband, Carter and son, Corey. Finally, Mark's older brother Patrick, his wife, Elaine and their daughter Jessica arrive. The town of Lumby will never be the same again.

Lumby on the Air is the fifth novel in the Lumby series. It can be read as a stand alone novel. This book had all my favorite people as well as new characters. This book didn't really focus on the town of Lumby, so much as it did Mark and Pam's crazy family. I thought my family was a little crazy but after meeting Mark's, I realized I would rather choose my family over his. Some of my favorite moments involved Coco. Coco may be a prized, exotic cat but she is a country girl at heart. There was the time when Coco was assaulted and chosen as a raccoon's love slave or the moment when Coco made a friend with Old Jesse, the bull. Of course, I can't forget The Lumby Line newspaper. Always good for a few laughs. All the arguing in this story did get on my nerves some. This book missed a bit of the sparkle of the Lumby Lines, the first book I tried and read in this series but I still can't get enough of Mark, Pam and the rest of the town of Lumby. I plan to check out the next lumby novel. Lumby on the Air has made a permanent landing on my bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Lumby Hit!, July 11, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
I have read every one of the Lumby books and Gail Frasier again does a top notch job!
When I open the pages of a Lumby book and begin to read, it's like seeing wonderful friends after a long separation.
It was such a wonderful thing to see from all the wonderful residents of Lumby.
These books are heartwarming and entertaining, and, with the antics of Mark Walker, hilarious, too.
What a joy to read they are. They are well written and absolutely wonderful.
They remind me of Mitford, although without the spirituality of Jan Karon's books. They are also a reminder of Ann Ross's Miss Julia books. When you read any of these books, you fall in love with the residents and find yourself wishing that these little towns were actually on a map so you could visit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumby on the Air: A Tale of Small Towns and Crazy Famillies, September 1, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
Gail Fraser's Lumby on the Air is the fifth installment of her series about the small, whimsical town of Lumby. However, this rich, amusing novel can easily be read as a stand-alone novel.
Lumby on the Air opens in the quaint Montis Inn, where Pam and Mark Walker are preparing for the arrival of their respective families, who are coming into town for a family reunion, followed by a ceremony where Pam and Mark will renew their wedding vows. Pam is worried about closing the inn for the reunion, and on top of that, is wondering what sort of drama their families will drag into town with them.

So let's break down the list of crazy family that rolls into town: Lynn, Mark's estranged sister, and the most unexpected guest, arrives first. Her ex-husband embezzled money from good-hearted, laid-back Mark, causing a huge rift between her and the rest of the family. Mark's other sister Nancy happens to be the wife of Carter, a famous radio DJ who decides to set up a broadcast studio in the Montis Inn living room. In addition to his brother-in-law's insulting on-air remarks about small-town life, Pam and Mark have to deal with a blog created by their rebellious niece, Jessica.

The family drama only escalates when Lumby neighbor Mike McNear decides to sell his farm to a commercial real estate developer who could threaten Lumby's small-town charm. When Mark's family start to find themselves taking sides in regard to the issue, their long line of disagreements threaten to rip them all apart.

This novel was, in so many ways, a fun, refreshing read. Who can't relate to the idea of having a crazy extended family? But, that said, sometimes the arguments became a bit tedious. And though this is characteristic behavior of many teenagers, I found Jessica's particular breed of rebellion (and her parents' often mixed reactions to it) completely annoying.

However, Fraser's quirky little town, as well as the characters who add to its color, is immensely entertaining. Fraser adds hilarious snippets that read as articles and classifieds from the Lumby Lines, the local newspaper. I would certainly recommend this novel to anyone who appreciates small-town life and the humor that ensues when family gets together!

4.0 out of 5 stars More fun in Lumby, August 27, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
When Pam and Mark Walker invite their families to Montis Inn for a family reunion and twenty-fifth anniversary celebration, they certainly don't expect Mark's brother-in-law to broadcast his controversial radio show from their home or for their niece to be online disparaging Lumby and looking for a place to party. Add in the arrival of Mark's sister, who he hasn't spoken to in seven years, and Pam's mother bringing a boyfriend that she knew nothing about and it is quite the family reunion! Of course the monks, and now the sisters, of Saint Cross have their own part in the story and the entire town of Lumby is buzzing with the news that Mike McNear might sell his farm to a real estate developer. Mark's escapades at the county fair add in a bit more local color.

Lumby on the Air is the newest in the Lumby series and I'm happy to say that it won't be the last. I have enjoyed every one of these books and this one was no exception. In a way, it felt like the book circled back around to the beginning of the series with the focus being on the Walkers and their families. This is the first time we have met any of Pam and Mark's relatives and the first time that outsiders have descended with such force on Lumby. Unfortunately, the majority of the relatives are shown in a very unflattering light and I really wondered how Pam and Mark could be related to such people. I very much related to Pam's stress level at dealing with these people and her anger when they were so disrespectful to the life that she and Mark have built in Lumby.

Unfortunately, the family drama took up so much of the book that we didn't have much time to check in with old friends. A few show up here and there, mainly the monks and sisters, but many of the other town regulars were only seen briefly if at all. Despite their general dislike of outsiders, the residents of Lumby pull through for friends in a crises and it is that neighborly spirit that reaches into the heart of a man, showing him that he can accomplish something positive rather than relying on the destructive nature of conflict.

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed reading this book!!!, August 17, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
Lumby on the Air is the fifth book in the Lumby series which includes The Promise of Lumby, Stealing Lumby, The Lumby Lines and Lumby's Bounty. I have not gotten a chance to read the others but I hope to sometime soon. I think it's worth mentioning though that Lumby on the Air is by no means the final book. Readers will have a chance to collect the previous copies in the Lumby Series and add to the collection as more books become available.

I really enjoyed reading this book and I would recommend it to anyone whose looking for a great summer read. I have already sent out the SOS to most of my friends and they are ordering their copies as we speak. There were so many themes in the story particularly the importance of Family and Family Life. Coming from a close knit family and by extension community I really empathized with the story and I think that Lumby on the Air was a great fit for me.

I felt all sorts of emotions while reading this novel, but none of them included sad. If anything, I felt more lite and upbeat because of the amount of humor in the book. The stories and the characters made me laugh a lot.

What stood out to me was the way in which the author made everyone's story come together. At first reading through all the characters and their different themes I was unsure as to where the author was going with all of it, especially the part about the extinct berries. However, the way the author brought all the situations together was very creative and was an indication of brilliant writing. By this I was able to infer that the author was very experienced in her word selection and I loved that about her writing style. Further, if one didn't know better one would think Lumby to be a real rather than fictitious town, so artfully described the place was. The town was even equipped with its own map. The author's art for description, especially of the town and its residence was exceptional. Fraser appears to be well informed, especially about the latest technology and it showed in her writing.

I connected to all the characters in the book. They were like the ingredients to a great recipe; everyone had their own individual, unique flavor about them that when placed together contributed to a wonderful story. More importantly I was able to relate to them as well. I absolutely loved Old Jesse the cow and Coco the pedigree cat. Their relationship was interesting, strange and funny. I'm an animal lover and their relationship added a twist to the story like no other book I've ever read. I also love the way the author described Jesse's protective nature over Coco. Hilarious!

I did not particularly like Jessica, Mark's niece. I saw her to be whinny and spoilt and I didn't appreciate that. I did understand however her reasons behind her behaviour, but I didn't like the way she went about expressing her feelings. The same goes for Carter. His attitude was a little too bold for my taste however, he made up for that at the end of the book.

There is nothing I would change about this book, it was tastefully done, well written and the author was well informed. What more can a person want?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as past books, August 5, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
I have been waiting for this book "with bated breath" since the last Lumby came out. I just can't seem to get enough Lumby, the quirky little town in Washington State where life seems slowed paced, people care about each other, and have a lot of fun. My favorite parts are reading about the adventures of Hank (the pink flamingo) who is always a part of town life and dresses the part as well. I also love to read the entries that come out in the Lumby newspaper (The Lumby Lines)and marvel about how close these tales are to real small town life.
The main characters Pam and Mark have invited their family and a few friends to a renewal ceremony of their wedding vows on their anniversary. The story starts when Mark does not check the spelling of his name on the invitations. This is page 1, and I laughed and laughed at such a silly error. There are a lot of good things in this book, relationships mended, people helping each other during hard times, a lot of caring about each other which makes for a heart warming book.
The reason I did not like or rate this book as high as the previous books in the series had to do with all the "shock jock" material and the trouble with one of Mark's nieces. Although I understand texting, use of the Internet and chat rooms (especially for teenagers), I found it tiresome and tedious. I also was a little put off by all the sexual references by several of the characters. Not that I don't know this is part of life but it detracted from the joy of reading Lumby for me. The ending of the book was also just a little to quick and neatly "tied up in a ribbon" for me as well. Although I liked the book, it was just not as enjoyable as the previous ones that seemed to deal more with the people that "live" in Lumby and the surrounding areas. Will I read more Lumby books if they are written, absolutely. I realize you can't hit a home run every single time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Family Matters in Lumby, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
A return trip to Lumby can never come too soon. This time the townsfolk are looking to see the family reunion of the Walkers at Montis Inn. Lots of preparations must happen to make sure this goes off without a hitch. Of course, this story would not be complete without traditional Lumby fare such as Mark making impractical decisions or Hank the flamingo showing up in unexpected places.

There is a lot to like in this book. I love the humor in this book. I guffawed during the raccoon/cat scene. I mean really...what would you do if you walked in on that spectacle? Actually the whole bit involving the cat was humorous as the old bull has become attached to her. How often does that happen? It's something you only read about in those internet forwards. Also there's lots of food. That's something about these books that I love and ever since Pam rehired Andre, the food at Montis sound delicious. Those ribs that were mentioned sounded divine. I also really liked reading about Pam's mother's new relationship. It was also really nice to see that even though Pam had misgivings and was uneasy at first about this, she eventually was able to let go and allow her mother to move on. Reading this book gave off a warm cozy feeling.

While I loved returning to Lumby, I would have to say that this book was my least favorite of the series. This mainly has to do with Mark's family. I really did NOT like his brother in law and totally agreed with his son's perspective of him. Carter was just rude, outspoken and very insensitive. He was so inconsiderate throughout the book that honestly every time he showed up, I wanted to skip reading. At the same time, I wish Pam and Mark had been less passive and more adamant about the rules of staying at Montis Inn and enforced them. I wasn't too big a fan of Mark's niece Jessica but I could understand the teen angst and desire to fit in. There also seemed to be a lot less interaction with the rest of the townsfolk, even the monks don't get that much page time. The books are wonderful because of all the colorful characters from around town. This book seemed to more of a Mark and Pam story and I missed seeing everyone else.

Even with these quibbles, I still enjoyed the book. I love how all the stories tie into one another. With the focus on Montis Inn, I could really see the setting come to life. The picture in my head of the inn was very clear as things were described that I hadn't read about before. The character development, while a bit predictable, was very nice to read. Plus there's all the humor and small town charm that make the Lumby series great. As I have said before these books are total comfort reads. I'm a bit sad that this is the newest book because now I have to wait until the next one!

4.0 out of 5 stars amusing Lumby entry, July 10, 2010
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
In Lumby, residents Pam and Mark Walker run the Montis Inn. At the same time the town hosts the Chatham County Fair, the couple is celebrating their silver wedding anniversary with a week long gala at the inn with family and friends; highlighting the get together with a vow renewal. Ironically, the person who made up the invitation changes his name from Mark to Fark, an omen of what is about to occur or perhaps a purposeful use of a descriptor "noun".

Mark's estranged sister Lynn arrives with her companion Coco the cat. He is elated to see her as they split apart when Lynn's ex husband cheated him out of money. However, his canines sniffing a cat meal chase pregnant show champion Coco up on the inn's roof where she refuses to come down. Pam's mother Kay and her friend arrive, but her companion is not who her daughter expected to see. Next, Mark's other sibling Nancy and her husband radio talk show host Carter and their son Corey join the festivity; as the radio celebrity continues his show badmouthing small town living and pushing an anti rustic Rockies resort to the ire of the Lumby community.. Finally his brother Patrick and his wife Elaine and their sixteen year old daughter Jessica show up with the teen bringing her all night social networking equipment with her.

This is an amusing Lumby entry with serious undertones providing a strong story line as for instance economic development vs. rustic living and teen internet savvy vs. parental ignorance. Enhanced by wonderful Art Poulin drawings, the tale is fun to follow as Pam and Fark wonder what whether they should have eloped as the horde is driving them crazy (think of the movie Madhouse).

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars Lumby On The Air, September 7, 2010
Edna Tollison "Mama T" (Laurens, SC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lumby on the Air (Paperback)
This is the 5th book in the series, I have only read "The Promise of Lumby" which I found to be a great. This book Lumby in the Air is just as good. I really like "Hank" the pink flamingo who plays a great part in the books that I have read. He is moved all over town and the book talks as if he a real person, Hank dreams of being a great eagle that can score so high in the air.

In this book Pam and Mark are getting ready to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary with a week long celebrations. It is to coincide with this year's Chatham County Fair and what a week this will be. The brother-in-law is coming in bringing his talk radio show crew "in which no one invited" and all mayhem breaks out.

The first thing that went wrong was Mark's name on the invitation was wrong and it read "Fark" instead of Mark. The Monks from the monastry are back and some nuns that have run out of room at their abby are wanting some land and join forces with the Monks so they would have room to plant their grape vines. This gets to be a chore as the nuns do all the work themselves.

The town newspaper prints some really funny things and this is just one that I really liked from one of the papers, "The Lumby Lines" classified ads, "Mixing bowl set ideal for wife with round bottom for dough beating" and I just have to tell one more. From the same days paper " Parachute, never been opened. Used once , slightly stained. $350.00 0r best offer. Lumby Sporting Goods." I have to stop now so you will want to but this book and all of them if you have not read any, they are sure to please...

This book proof was sent to me by Christian Review of Book for review.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lumby on the Air
Lumby on the Air by Gail Fraser (Paperback - July 6, 2010)
$16.00 $13.05