First time I used opened it up my brother and I play a game for two hours. We really enjoyed the LED aspect of the game and it actually made it easier for us to plan our next move. The lights even got my young niece and nephew interested in playing chess.

Published 11 months ago by Fernando Magana

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking chess set from afar
Published 20 months ago by Anon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Great looking chess set from afar, December 22, 2012
This chess set certainly looks great from afar: light up glass pieces! However, if you examine the pieces more closely, you see that the build quality isn't great: bubbles in the glass, some pieces are slightly crooked, etc. Some of mine came with chips and cracks, though LumiSource was quick to replace those. But in the end, almost all the pieces had slight imperfections. I feel this is something you should know before you decide to spend $60+ on a chess set. Also, note that you NEED to feed power to the chess set to play; if you keep the lights off, the white and black pieces look exactly the same.

On the positive side, the pieces light up flawlessly and it's a one of a kind chess set. Despite the piece build quality, I'm still gonna keep mine because it looks pretty cool.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works as advertised, Quality control is a bit lacking though., September 3, 2013

First thing I noticed about the quality of the glass is that some of the pawn pieces had air bubbles and that one my queens were sloping to one side which besides being kinda funny didn't really bug me. The glue holding the LEDs in place was also coming off, you think for a 60-70 dollar chess set they'd take more care but besides those few gripes overall I was satisfied with it.

First thing a customer should keep in mind when purchasing this item is that the glass is fragile and it could break while being shipped, I ran into this problem the first time I ordered one but the company I bought it from refunded me almost immediately which really helped.

5.0 out of 5 stars LED Glow Chess Set, January 1, 2012
This is by far the most beautiful chess set I have ever seen! I bought it as a gift....it was a huge success! Love that there are no batteries to replace.

5.0 out of 5 stars As much fun to show off as it is to use, May 14, 2013
I could've gotten a plain old glass chess set, but for about the same price I figured I'd get something a little more interesting. For any geek lime myself, this is definitely the way to go. The board is fairly subdued dark plastic, but that only makes the pieces stand out more when they're lit up. They light up quite brightly when it's running off an outlet (haven't tried with batteries) and stay lit several inches above the board. All of my pieces worked, and they didn't have any obvious defects. The felts on the bottoms of the pieces are color-coded to the LED colors, so you can keep track of them with the board off. Over all, a very cool product for a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars New spin on playing chess, September 16, 2013
Very great chess board to start off. Things to be aware of, the pieces are not the best quality and one of my pieces had a chip in it to begin with. you must play with the board on, since all pieces are clearish white. playing in the dark is the best and i had my queen lose her glow towards a certain spot on the board, other then that, make sure you save the sterophome so you can place the pieces back in and keep them safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY COOL and an excellent conversation piece, January 5, 2014
When delivered, the battery compartment was missing a key component that was required for the set to operate without being plugged in. The seller promtly refunded my dough. The set (when operational) is amazing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool but not worth it, December 11, 2013
I gave two stars because the set was missing a pawn and the quality does not meet a 60. $ Plus price tag

4.0 out of 5 stars great gift and looks beautiful in the, July 12, 2014
Only problem was with one piece. Otherwise, great gift and looks beautiful in the dark

5.0 out of 5 stars it was an instant hit with the family and he loved it! very happy i found it, July 7, 2014
I got this chess set for my boyfriend a while back for christmas. it was an instant hit with the family and he loved it! very happy i found it. he loves to play it in the dark

5.0 out of 5 stars I am not a smart man...., July 2, 2014
Dustin Brown (SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
Edit: I had originally posted that this product was defective and the company was full of scam artists. While they did take 2 weeks to get back to me in regards to my issue, they sent another product free of charge in a timely manner. When the second product arrived, we realized that it was not the product at fault, but our own fault. The pieces on the board were not lighting up in the middle of the board. Come to find out, we were placing our board on top of a metal filing cabinet that was acting as a Faraday cage, thus resulting in the loss of wireless power to the pieces on the board. Both boards are in perfect working order, and the company was nice enough to send one without any questions asked. Go PlumStruck!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›