4.0 out of 5 stars Lumisource Icycle lamp

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, but not terribly bright
Published on May 15, 2010 by M. Gabriel

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty, but not terribly bright, May 15, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
I really love how this lamp looks. I did not find it hard to assemble or feel that it was cheap looking. However, I was disappointed with the amount of light that the generates. I needed it for a decent sized room with no overhead light. The amount of light, combined with the shadows produced by each light made this not the best fit for the room. So, I purchased another lamp and will use this one in a smaller room.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lumisource Icycle lamp, March 3, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Well, I agree that there were scant instructions for putting together the lamp; however, it was not hard to figure out, and I must say I think the lamp is quite dazzling. I also found the quality to be just fine - the base is heavy and supports the lamp well; the range of dimming is fabulous. I am wondering if the fact that one has to put it together is making people think the quality isn't good, vs pulling the lamp out of a box fully constructed, all nice and complete.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, July 15, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
My wife and I were looking for a contemporary floor lamp.
We ordered this lamp and it arrived prior to the estimated delivery date.
Instructions were somewhat lacking but was very easy to put together (took me about 30 minutes). We like it so much we are buying 2 more!

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put together, November 2, 2009
Leadfingers (Lausanne, Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
I really like this lamp, the look of it, the light that it gives off-my biggest challenge was putting it together. I had one before my son broke the original one, but this one was already put together for me. I had no idea that putting the three posts together could be so challenging!

1.0 out of 5 stars Love the Finished Product - Experience was a nightmare!!, December 20, 2012
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
First off, this product comes in 16 pieces. That is not an exaggeration, it is exactly 16 pieces.
- Each pole is comprised of 3 parts.
- Then the 3 tops.
- You have 3 bulbs.
- And 1 base.

Assembly is a nightmare. You have to run the wires connected to the base through each portion which has a POINTLESS lip on the opposite ends that the wires get stuck behind. You better have some very, very thin needle nose pliers or you will never get the wires through. Next, MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE BULB COVERS BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING!!! They send you an extra one I'm guessing in case you break one. Well I got 2 good ones, and 2 shattered ones. I didn't figure this out until the very end since these are the last pieces you put on the lamp. Now I need to contact Wayfair directly and hopefully they'll just send me replacements since they do sell them individually for $6.

To really set me off though, I got it all set up, and the poles align nothing like the picture shows. Now I have to take the bulb covers (at least the 2 that aren't busted), and the bulbs out (which mind you, you can't touch with your hands because the oil will burn when the lights are on. Welcome to halogens. To fix the alignment you need to open up the bottom panel and have a decent sized wrench to get the suckers loose. Tightening them back up while keeping them aligned is another pain. You would think they would assemble the things with little tabs to make sure they line up right. You would also think the poles would be one piece since that would be the easiest thing to do.

Oh one more thing. The instructions is one, single picture. All the 9 pole pieces are labeled differently but there is no designation on the actual pieces. After trying to figure out what the heck was going on for 15 minutes I realized that 6 of the poles are exactly the same. Only the 3 tops are different, which you can figure out where to place them judging by the cord lengths.

It looks amazing and I loved the finished product. But I wasted 2 hours putting it together and re-aligning the poles. Who knows how long it's going to take me to get replacement bulb covers as well.

Good luck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lamp for the price, September 6, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Lamp looks great in my space and it was just what I was looking for. Love the dimmer -- It adds that little extra something to a romantic night in. The bulbs are actually pretty bright (it hurts my eyes to look at it). Set up was marginally simple; directions were not really needed. Overall construction is sturdy and just what expected for the price.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible packaging and instructions, December 17, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Although the item arrived promptly, the packaging was horrible. As a result 2 of the 4 glass covers included for the halogen lamps were broken. Now I can't even use the lamp. Unfortunately, I did not realize that the parts were broken until I had already assembled the rest of the lamp (which was extremely cumbersome). Returning this lamp would be too much trouble at this point, so I'm just trying to figure out how to get replacement bulb covers. No luck yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too Cheap Looking, January 10, 2009
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
This is a purchase that I regret. It looked modern and stylish in the photo, but once I got it and assembled it, the quality just did not match the price or the style. It is very eye catching, but that just draws the eyes to the marginal construction. It is not very stable. The light output is decent, but for me this floor lamp was more about the look than the light, and I do not like the look in person.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Assembly, November 11, 2010
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Lamp arrived, box was demolished. good thing they sent four glass pieces because one was broken. Make sure when putting this together that you put the posts on correctly or the glass wont seat right (there's only one way it will work without the glass knocking into the other post). look at the picture here online, I had to take mine apart and do it over. I have this lamp behind a sectional (behind the rounded piece) in the corner so we cant see the base at all. not bad sticking up from behind the couch.

Pain in the neck to put together but ok for the price I guess. My lamp is very bright. Wonder where to get replacements for the "bulbs"?

The dimmer/on-off switch should be further down the plug.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice lamp..., April 4, 2011
This review is from: LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp (Tools & Home Improvement)
Ok so this is not the easiest lamp to put together. A bit frustrating. I thought that the light it gives out would not be so concentrated. The glass part does a poor job of diffusing it and what you get are 3 very bright spots. Its definitly stylish and looks nice, but if you are trying to completely light up a room, this is not your lamp.

LumiSource Icicle Floor Lamp