Customer Video Review     Length:: 1:03 Mins
To repeat something I say in the 1 minute video, the Luminarc Quadro Pitcher weighs under 2 lbs. The glass Oster blender jar weighs about 2 1/2 lbs., and the other pitcher weighs a bit over 3 lbs.

Published on May 8, 2010 by Jim

1.0 out of 5 stars Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass? Pitcher with Lid?
I bought two of these because I like the ones I have and needed two more.
Luminarc is getting VERY cheap! My older(5 years) pitchers are very obviously
made out of glass. I still am NOT convinced that the new ones aren't made out
of plastic. Incredibly thin/Half the weight!
The lids DO NOT SEAL any where near a well as my older ones.
Published on May 4, 2010 by William Barkley

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice pitcher but glass is more thin than thick when compared to similarly sized glass containers., May 8, 2010
Length:: 1:03 Mins

I was considering buying the Quadro from Amazon when I happened to see a shelf full of them in my local WalMart selling for a few cents less than half of Amazon's current price. When examining it in the store I honestly couldn't tell if it was glass or plastic, and the middle-aged gal who checked out my order opined that it was definitely plastic. (I mention her age because she reminisced about how when she was much younger, glass pitchers were typically made of heavy glass that was obviously glass and not plastic.) I'm now convinced it's glass, but as I attempt to illustrate in the video (by providing weights and by tapping each container with a nylon spoon), it is definitely not of "thick glass construction," as it says in the description, at least not compared to similarly sized glass containers (e.g., the blender jar and the other pitcher).

The lid must be removed completely in order to pour from the pitcher. When mixing frozen orange juice concentrate and water in the pitcher, I was able to shake the pitcher vigorously while holding the lid in place with my thumb without any signs of leakage around the lid. But when mixing Crystal Light and water in the pitcher the same way, there was leakage (resulting in droplets of cherry Crystal Light all over the counter and floor), so next time, pace James Bond, I will stir rather than shake when preparing any beverage thinner than OJ from frozen concentrate in this pitcher.

The description says it fits into most refrigerator doors, and it fits perfectly in the door of our Kenmore that is just a few years old.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Pitcher, including lid?, October 28, 2008
W. Stohler (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I like this container, but I like the 57 oz version better with the external handle better, as it's easier to hold. The hard plastic cap rotates freely, and allows pouring without removal. This cap doesn't provide an air-tight seal (the cap will leak if you need to shake the contents). Other than that, highly rated!

1.0 out of 5 stars Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass? Pitcher with Lid?, May 4, 2010
William Barkley (Chicago, Illinois) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I bought two of these because I like the ones I have and needed two more.
Luminarc is getting VERY cheap! My older(5 years) pitchers are very obviously
made out of glass. I still am NOT convinced that the new ones aren't made out
of plastic. Incredibly thin/Half the weight!
The lids DO NOT SEAL any where near a well as my older ones.

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice looking, but quality control iffy, December 31, 2008
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I purchased this product Dec 2008 (this pitcher is made in France). It looks great, but on mine there was a little bit of extra glass on the base of it that made it sit a bit uneven. I didn't like that, but it otherwise looked and worked great, so I decided to keep it. A week later, the extra bit of glass on the bottom corner breaks off, resulting in a hole in the bottom on the pitcher and a stream of liquid pouring out of the bottle! What a mess, and it is now ruined, so had to throw it out. Otherwise, this is a nice looking, quite functional pitcher. I am now debating whether to take a chance on getting another one, since the price is reasonable, and perhaps I just got a lemon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Highly Recommend, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I bought this pitcher over a year ago for my morning orange juice. It does not drip, the lid is good, and it does not take up much space. I like that it does not have a handle. Given a full container, it is easy to use. You will not go wrong with this purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cheesy lid, but extremely durable, June 27, 2009
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
When I first unpacked this jug, I was sure it was entirely plastic, but I guess it's a type of glass. (review updated in second paragraph) It's very light for glass, doesn't refract light as much as glass usually does, and it has a dull sound when you tap it with a spoon, instead of a ring as glass usually has. However, it does feel cool and smooth like glass... I'm very curious about the material. The lid is made of a thin, brittle plastic, and mine arrived with the lip already broken about a quarter of the way around. It fits extremely loosely to the point where you can rattle it. I ended up forming an aluminum foil skin over the lid to cover the gap, and I guess it will do for iced tea, but I'm far from impressed. On the upside, it does look very pretty full of iced tea, so I gave it 3 stars.

Star date 11/25/11 - It's 2-1/2 years later, and I'm back to add another star for this pitcher! It turns out that the type of glass it's made from, although very light in weight, is extremely durable!! It's a wonderful material! I use this pitcher on a daily basis, and I don't know how many times I've accidentally bumped this pitcher into the counter edge, and it's still going strong and looking pretty. What I said about the lid still goes, so still only 4 stars, but I'm very happy with this pitcher overall.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good in 2009, but there are better options now., May 17, 2009
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I got this pitcher because I refrigerate filtered tap water instead of buying bottled, and I'm trying to live as plastic-free as possible. It holds exactly the same amount of water as my old plastic pitcher (the ubiquitous frosted translucent kind with the blue lid), which is great.
The lid isn't air-tight, but it's good enough for water and tea (it wouldn't be suitable for carbonated beverages). The only thing that I would caution future buyers about is that the opening is a little small. I can fit my medium-sized female hands in, but I think someone with larger hands wouldn't be able to fit their hands in to clean it.

Edit: Some people complained about it dripping when they pour. If you press on the lid with your extra hand while pouring it doesn't do this.

2013 Edit: I think that there are better options available now, with sturdy airtight lids. When I wrote this review it was pretty hard to find a good glass pitcher with a lid, but now there are way more on the market. I also think the current price ($16) is too high for this item. But I still like how the pitcher looks. If anyone's wondering, the plastic lid eventually broke when I dropped it. Now I use it to water my plants.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice jug, poor lid, August 7, 2009
peg marson (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
I use several of these jugs for storing filtered water. Strong and attractive, and the shape allows them to stand in a neat, space-saving row. But I've been trying for years to obtain replacement lids. They discolor over time, and the gripper flanges tend to break off, making a loose fit even looser. The manufacturer will apparently not make replacement lids available. Boo, hiss.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ordered 2, both cracked w/in 3 weeks, July 21, 2009
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
As recommended with any food storage container, we washed the containers before using them. We had seen a segment on TV that milk stays fresher longer in glass containers so we had bought two of these because we usually buy milk by the gallon. With the very first use, a puddle of milk was under one of the containers stored in the refrig. We wiped it up and next use, another puddle, so we put the container out for recycling. The second container sprung a leak after going thru the dishwasher for only the third time. With the 1st container, we thought it might have been damaged in shipping. After the 2nd broke, we think it may have been related to dishwashing then filling with cold milk. A manufacturers warning may have been nice.

1.0 out of 5 stars False advertising; Plastic Pitcher, April 28, 2010
James Stein (Staten Island, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luminarc Quadro 2-Liter Glass Pitcher with Lid (Kitchen)
The pitcher is well shaped, sturdy, has a great spout and lid, and everything else I'd want in a pitcher. Except, of course, that I was shopping for a glass pitcher, and - despite this one being titled glass - this pitcher was made of plastic.

It wasn't just made of plastic, it was *obviously* made of plastic. Its feel, resilience to direct blow, and slow melt + smell on direct exposure to flame. This is a plastic pitcher advertised as glass, while many people are searching for glass pitchers specifically to escape plastic mingling with their foodstuffs.

I returned it to Amazon, and wouldn't trust Luminarc's advertising practices in the future.