Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 22, 2012
I own a number of watches --- it's a sort of "illness," and if you have it you'll understand --- and my collection ranges to pieces that cost well over ten times as much as this did. (I pre-purchased at below this price.)

If you like Luminox you will love this one. Mostly. Probably.

***********************

[EDIT/UPDATE]
If you like "luminoxes" (and I do) then you like "luminoxes." But that does not mean that you have to like Luminox --- and I don't. Good luck trying to get an answer to an email, technical clarification, or any other information --- four shots, zero back.

How does it run? Four weeks, second hand still a bingo match to the atomic time clock I have. Again, the only other watch I have that will hold under 30 seconds per year (yes, year) is a Breitling Aerospace.

If you're wondering whether or not you can operate the chronograph push-pieces (buttons) while immersed --- so am I. No answer, either in the manual, or from Lummox. (I have one watch that has buttons rated to full 1000m (no typo) depth; but that's extreme (there's only one made like that) and I'll never come close to that.)

************************************************

It is a substantial, heavy build with a strong, solid-link stainless steel bracelet. The bezel is polycarbonate, with very bright minute numerals and a crisp, solid ratchet. This watch wears like a wall clock --- it is unambiguous and "loud" in its readability. That's what it's designed for. It's not "elegant." One might say it's the antithesis of Movado. It's like wearing something from a submarine bulkhead on your wrist --- which I like.

My experience with Luminox has been that they are more accurate than most quartz watches. (I have an older one that is only slightly less accurate than a Breitling Aerospace.) If you refused to adjust it for a year, I doubt it would be off by more than a minute.

The hour markers, bezel index, and hour and minute hands have the trademark tritium-filled microtubules that make a Luminox, well, a Luminox. From bright day to mid-light to dim light to complete darkness, the time readout (especially on this black-and-white piece) is glance-readable.

The push-pieces (buttons) and crown are extraordinarily well-shielded by the case shoulders and the bracelet horns. The buttons have just enough "two-stage" feel to make them solid, and are crisp enough to make them foolproof. The lap function is continuable, which is a less frequent feature. (You can start, freeze first time, freeze second time, then continue, as opposed to a forced reset.

For a heavy watch, it's pretty comfortable. If you're not accustomed to industrial-grade, manhole-style chronos, this will take some getting used to. It's worth it. (A long-time suggestion: If the watch feels bulky, sleep with it on. Your hand and arm will do the adjusting for you. Really.) If you want to shed some weight and gain some security if you SCUBA, a 22mm NATO strap (thinnish on the material, so the spring bars don't bend) works perfectly on this watch.

So --- I like it. But ...?

Ah, well. On to the picky things.

If you're expecting to be able to read the small seconds, chrono minutes, and chrono hours in the dark after 20 minutes --- guess again. For some reason that escapes me entirely, Luminox have taken a raw, blatant, functional watch and put little teensy-weensy elegant little tiny sub-dial hands on this watch --- when bolder "deltas" with plenty of lume would have been waaaaay more functional. As for the sub-dials, the concentric-ring finish can baffle you at some angles, making the actual position of the teensy-weensy hands hard to see at a glance. Yes, they do glow. A little. For a while. And yes, they really are very functional. And YES, it IS a 12-hour (not a useless 30-minute) chrono.

So, there.

Next on the "phooey list" --- the chrono second sweep hand. The tritium capsule is gone from here. I suppose that was a cost consideration, but a dumb one, in my opinion.

One last swipe --- my second hand was not registered properly. No, I'm not talking about reset-to-zero after battery change --- it's off by a half-second. I'll probably send it in, since it really is a pain.
(UPDATE: Took awhile, got a full replacement, all of the hands register correctly.)
Having said all this, I'll add that within two weeks two people have asked me where I got it --- one, a doctor, and another, a wine-tasting employee. Broad appeal, I guess.

My final comment: it really is a great watch (or seems to be) for the price range. Yes, some folks feel that $100 is a lot for a watch, and I understand that. If you have the cash and you're a little nuts, a few grand doesn't shake you --- like I said, it's an illness. But here, Luminox has taken a solid, proven, and nicely-improved concept --- and dropped a couple of teensy-weensy little tiny balls. Oh, well.

I still like it. When I get my Breitling Blackbird back from its (costs-more-than-this-watch) overhaul, this will make a more-than-excellent "beater watch."
on January 19, 2015
I usually don't review an item until I've owned it for at least several weeks, but in this case I'll make an exception.and will update if i have any problems please be advised this review is for an item purchased directly from amazon and not a 3rd party seller ,i received the watch 3 days ago and so far I'm very pleased as this is the first luminox I've ever owned the reviewer who states the normal secondhand is part of the chronograph and loses seconds readabilty when you reset it is mistaken as the secondhand is in the smaller dial on the right as to the reviewer who claimed his watch didn't work properly he should simply return it to amazon why write a negative review anything that is mass produced is going to have a percentage of items that are faulty ..as far as I can tell this is a legit luminox and it came in a nice luminox box, be advised however something that the description does not tell you is that you will not get a warranty from luminox, such is the tradeoff for not buying through an authorised dealer at several hundred dollars more..however if you purchase from amazon directly(I woulf advise ordering from amazon and not a 3Rd party seller as i have no idea if they give you a warranrt or not)they include a 2 year warranty which is sufficient enough for me due to the price difference and probably just as good as a managucturer warranty , not to mention a manafucturer warranty will generally only cover internal mechanical problems not the crown not the band not the bezel,how many times have we needed to use a manufacturers warranty only to find out that what we need it for is not covered or the manufacturer tries to blame the issue on our own fault or misuse?.in my experience 9 times out of ten when you try to use the managucturer warranty you wind up paying anyway...so far this watch keeps excellent time and is absolutely great looking the pictures online don't do it justice, for the price difference between amazon with their 2 year warranty and an authorized dealer with a 2 year manufacturers warranty this is a no brainer hope this helps you and my research saves you some time..
on July 2, 2014
This watch is a nice solid watch. Not too heavy but certainly solid. It doesnt feel cheap. The plastic bezel was a concern for me, but it is very nice quality as well. I own several boutique dive watches (Deep Blue, Helson, Baliha'i, etc) I like this Luminox just as much. All the chronograph hands are dead on accurate. One thing I hate about chrono watches is when the hands dont line up correctly. This watch has very good quality and the hands line up perfectly. The Chrono hands do NOT glow as advertised on the Luminox site though. But the rest of the markers glow all through the night. They are just as bright at 4am as they were when I went to bed at 10pm. Screw down crown is nice and smooth. Pushers for chrono are very smooth. Highly recommend it.
on February 17, 2014
I purchased my first two Luminox watches back in 1997 and they are both still in use - I use them every week. Recently, I decided to add a couple of newer models so I purchased the 3081 B.O. last Christmas and now this model. All four watches are very well made, reliable, stylish, and accurate. Believe it or not, but on the first two watches from 1997 - I only just recently had to replace the batteries. 16 years later!! This is amazing performance! Otherwise, I have never had to send these in for repair.

On to the 3182. Just like all my other Luminox watches the quality is excellent for the price and all other things being equal these are Swiss made watches. I am not aware of any other watch that offers this much value. The style is that of a large cased watch with a hefty bracelet. While it feels heavy in the hand, on the wrist it is an easy watch to wear. The face is very easy to read with a large dial and prominent bright white hands on a black background. The Chronograph works perfectly and the watch keep very accurate time. The only quibble I have with this fine watch is that the smaller dials are a little too small and hard to read. Honestly, this is okay, since I can't see how they could have made the dials larger without hurting the visual balance of the face. There really is not much more to say about this watch, it just rocks. Based on my long relationship with Luminox I expect this beauty to give me many, many years of solid performance and pride in ownership. If you like military style, adventurer watches that still look great out on the town or in the office I can't think of a better choice than this model - or any of the other Luminox offerings. Highly recommended.
on October 9, 2014
I love the way this watch looks and was truly excited to have it as an every day watch. It's the most versatile watch I've ever owned. Here's where the let down comes in. Once I went to set the time and date and screwed the crown back in place the minute and hour hand no longer functions. If the crown is unscrewed all movements in the minute and hour hand work perfectly fine. Basically I paid roughly $400 for a watch that looks nice but doesn't function properly.....
review image
on October 9, 2012
Great watch! I love watches and this one is both stylish and functional. You can read by the glow of the watch face at night. The weight is just right and I use the chrono everyday . It resets to zero perfectly and keeps perfect time. Luminox mid price watches are well made and a value for the buck!
on October 18, 2015
I got this watch for graduation and it was my first real quality timepiece. I have loved it since the moment I received it and my admiration for it has only increased as time goes on. The tritium tubes are fantastic at night, not nearly as bright as you might expect. They are only really visible in true low light situations. I find this is beneficial because in total darkness they are not glaring to the point they might ruin ones might vision or perhaps just be uncomfortably bright for those of us not employing it in a tactical fashion. Some observations/complaints: The bevel is not hard to inadvertently rotate, this is more annoying than a real problem as it can only rotate in one direction that would subtract time rather than add it if it is being used as a dive instrument. Also the only scratches that have really developed are on the clasp but there a LOT have developed. As for actual complaints all I have is I wish the smaller hands had tritium tubes as well, the old fashioned glow in the dark paint only lasts about half an hour which is essentially useless. Also a day-of-the-week display would be very useful, I would honestly trade the chrono complication for that. Other than those things however the watch works flawlessly, it keeps time to within as close as you can set it.
on March 19, 2013
This is my second Luminox and this one is also Perfect in every way. Form, Function, Price, Looks, Weight, I could go on forever. Love being able to tell the time at night even without "charging" the numbers and hands on an ordinary watch.
on December 28, 2015
I've owned this watch for a little over 6 months and I love ALMOST everything about it. The face is pretty scratch resistant. I've bumped mine a lot and it shows no wear apart from a large, thin scratch from when it struck a brick. My gripe with this watch and luminox in general is the bezel. The ceramic bezel would feel more at home on $40 watch: it is very cheap feeling and scratches/scuffs very easily. In my opinion metal bezels look classier and dont have this scuffing issue. Unfortunately, Luminox offers no replacement.
on February 20, 2015
The faceplate/dial for the watch fell off within a hour of my husband wearing it Christmas morning. We were devastated. However, I knew Amazon had provided a warranty on this product, so my husband looked into it. He called Amazon Christmas day and was advised that the seller was responsible for the product for the first 30 days; after that, our warranty would take over. He contacted the seller and they ever so graciously REPLACED the watch AND gave us a $20 refund for our trouble! My husband absolutely loves his watch (it's the third or fourth Luminox that he has owned and second that I have give him). This new replacement watch has no defects and is stunning.

See 1 answered question