Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on February 21, 2015
Initially, I was afraid to buy this watch. It's the Navy SEAL watch, and while I loved the design, it had some mixed reviews, especially in regards to durability & lack of factory warranty(when not purchased from authorized dealers). However, when I saw that this watch came with 2-year warranty offer from Amazon, I had to get it.

I've had this watch for just two weeks, so this review is a work in progress(I always update my reviews as necessary). So far, the watch looks great & it's been a real accurate watch(closely monitored, down to a second). I'm always reckless with items like these, but it's yet to pick up a scratch. It looks durable enough with the exception of the crystal. I'm used to my G-Shock crystal being recessed to save it from impact, but it actually sticks out slightly on this watch. It looks great, but in my opinion, questionable design for watch that's marketed on toughness.

Only "con": Even before I ordered this watch, I wasn't feeling its cheap looking rubber strap. When I received it, I thought its really soft texture was kind of nice - until I found out that friction often made it hard to insert the strap into the loop. I have replaced it with the 22mm Zulu Military strap(NATO style) & I am now in love with this watch.

Edit(2 Months): I started monitoring time accuracy using the time.gov website, and in close to two months, it has gained roughly 5 seconds. I can live with that. Also, I have encountered zero problem with this watch, nor the NATO strap I also purchased on Amazon.

Edit(6 Months): It has now gained roughly 26 seconds going by time.gov website. I feel horrible for not ever wearing other watches I own. With the blacked out NATO strap, I just love this watch & I never go outside without it on my wrist. ;)
review image review image
on December 23, 2009
After owning this watch for three months one of the lugs holding the strap broke off when it hit the edge of a table (this a watch supposedly made for Navy SEALS?). The manufacturer refused to repair/replace the case under the warranty and wanted $110 to do so as a watch repair. Add that to the fact that the watch is really light weight and the strap is stiff/uncomfortable to wear. Do yourself a favor and pass on this watch.
on November 28, 2006
I bought this watch a few years ago. I like the luminous dial, and it has proven to be an accurate and rugged watch. I am disappointed that after a few years the plastic watch band cracked and was no longer usable. Given the price of this watch, and all the military specifications Luminox claims to meet, I did not expect this to happen. I assumed this must have been a defective watch band. When I contacted Luminox to point this out, and asked if they would replace it, they sent me a very curt and direct message in which they stated:

"The warranty does not apply to the band, crystal, crown, bezel or battery."

In looking for a replacement band, I discovered that authorized Luminox distributors sell them for $39.00. I think this is bit ridiculous for a watch band that only lasted a few years. I've bought complete Timex digital watches for less than the price of this band, and never had the watch band break. In shopping around, I found a Timex watch band made for Casio watches that looked like the original Luminox watch band. I bought it for $8.87 at Wal-Mart.

While I still like the Luminox watch itself, I'm very unhappy with it coming with either a defective or very cheap watch band. I'm also very unimpressed with Luminox's customer service. Given my experience, I've come to the conclusion that Luminox watches are overpriced, and their service is poor. If I could do it all over, I wouldn't buy this watch again.
55 comments30 of 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2011
These watches are basically crap! I never read the reviews because I never actually bought one. I found my first one in a river near a Marine base in the Sierras and was impressed that it was working. When it failed (water under the crystal and it stopped working) a year later I sent it in to the company and was told that the warranty could not be validated. I received the second one as a gift. I only wore these watches while camping, fishing, and backpacking. I never wore it diving, and neither one went deeper in the water than 10 feet. The second one just failed. Again, the problem was water seeped in and it stopped working. I can't believe that Navy Seals or even Navy cooks rely on this watch. I would not reccommend that anyone buy the watch.
on August 17, 2007
Loved this watch when I first got it - has great styling and was a great backup to my dive computer. Used it for diving here in Alaska. Unfortunately quit working within a year. Quality for the price is pretty questionable. No response from company on fixing it....
11 comment17 of 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
Late last summer I purchased the Luminox Men's Original Nay SEAL dive watch from the Watch Colony whose company is a seller in the Amazon marketplace. Because I trusted any seller that would be approved by the Amazon marketplace I paid $189.00 for what I hoped would be a great replacement watch to the one I had purchased from a retail jewelry store fifteen years earlier. When the watch arrived there was no warranty card with the shipment, only a small rubber id tag giving what looks like a serial number.

The watch appeared at first glance to be fine, the only major change from my previous navy seal watch was the strap which was a thinner more pliable rubber one. Later in the year when it was time to turn the clocks back for the end of daylight savings time, I attempted to pull out the watch stem to change the time. IT WOULD NOT BUDGE! I called the Watch Colony to tell them the problem. The person answering the phone stated in broken English that "The watch supposed to be that way, stem will not pull out easily because of waterproof".

This sounded ridiculous to me, so I followed up with two subsequent emails and got the same answer, furthermore, they would not take the watch back since more than 30 days had elapsed since the date of purchase.

I sat next to a gentleman on a plane who had just received the same watch from a different retailer for his birthday. I explained my problem and he said the dealer was lying to me, and effortlessly pulled out his watch stem with one fingernail!

I then called the manufacturer of the navy seal watch, Luminox and explained the situation. They also told me the Watch Colony was lying about the watch, the stem should pull out effortlessly. Furthermore, they stated that the Watch Colony was not an authorized dealer for navy seal watches, and because of that and the missing warranty card, the usual two year warranty would not be honored.

For all I know the Watch Colony may be selling black market items that are inferior to the original design... they could not find any warranty card for my watch or any other navy seal watch to send me when asked. If I wanted Luminox to repair the inferior watch stem the cost to me would be well over $100.00!

I have attempted five times to get my money back from this dealer, but neither the Watch Colony nor Amazon will refund my money. I have been a good customer of Amazon for over ten years and cannot believe they would allow a fly by night company such as the Watch Colony to do business under the good name of Amazon. I am writing this not only to express my outrage at being a victim of an unscrupulous dealer, but to warn future buyers off.

This has been the worst buying experience I have had in over ten years!
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2010
I was incredibly excited to find this watch for this price. I had already tried one on and knew the product would be of excellent quality, if it arrived in the condition it was supposed to. I first noticed a large green tag on the product which stated that the watch could not be returned if it was removed. Obviously this raised suspicion as it implied that the company anticipated a lot of returns. Watching the action of the watch, it continuously stalled and would not keep accurate time, indicating a near-dead battery. In examining the back of the watch, there was a large dent in the carbon casing in the back of the watch body. I am immediately sending this back and buying from a better retailer.
11 comment14 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 16, 2010
I've had this watch for almost a year and it has not left my wrist except when necessary. Overall, I am pleased. This watch has withstood diving excursions, frequent and extended periods in salt water, sand, and automotive "wrenching."

So far, I have not encountered any of the problems of the other reviewers; no wearing of the numbers on the outer bezzle, no cracked crystal, and no problem with the luminescent vials. I think those who've experienced cracked crystal are confusing this model with the 3050/60's because this model has a much smaller crystal in comparison. I've accidentally rubbed it against hard concrete and have rested my body weight it.

The Tritium vials are extremely bright and are the real novelty of the watch.

The SEAL name is just a marketing ploy, any consumer should take it with a grain of salt... A watch costing $180 won't be indestructible and won't last forever without proper care. The manual does warn that the water proof nature of the watch is achieved by rubber seals (o-rings) and that they will degrade when exposed to alcohols (think shampoo ingredients) and naturally over time.

I've replaced the the rubber wrist band with a nylon band for added durability. The watch band supplied seems cheap.

Conclusion: If you're looking to spend up to $200 for a basic, water-proofed analog watch I would recommend it. If you want something that will withstand a nuclear explosion and skull crushing depths, consider spending more money. This watch is very capable if you take within reasonable limits.

EDIT: One of the spring bars failed after two years,which I happily replaced, and the watch itself failed after 3 years of HARD, HARD abuse. Falling on to pavement and whacking the face caused an internal problem that stopping it from ticking... The crystal did not break though. After three years I did notice some wearing away of the white numbers on the other bezel, but this was from them being scraped or worn away and not a quality control issue. Despite this, I am very happy with my purchase and the life I received from this watch. This watch won't be an heirloom unless you push paper for a living, but I'd recommend it to anyone and would buy it again.
review image review image review image
on August 10, 2010
bought as a gift for $200. It failed the first time after 18 months and Luminox fixed it. Now it failed again 12 months later and Luminox will not fix under warranty. I believe they damaged the internal seal when repaired last time. They offered to replace it at $200 - when it has a street price of $150 or less.

My last $25 casio digital watch lasted 5 years with no problems. Would not buy Luminox again.
on November 15, 2007
I bought this watch brand new from a large military/police supply site online and loved it for 10 months. Then for no apparent reason, the second hand fell off. It lodged in the minute hand and stopped it. I went on Luminox site and found that they wont even fix a watch of theirs unless you prove it came from an "authorized distributor", which I found out to my dismay the site I bought it from is not (of course they dont tell you that when you buy it). So if Luminox wont stand behind their own products bought brand new in box, they must know that they are garbage...Who doesnt stand behind their products anymore? Wow