Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Luminox Men's 3059 EVO Navy SEAL Colormark Watch
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Black/orange|Change

on June 17, 2009
I usually don't review products but I'm compelled to write one about this watch. As a watch collector and a Soldier with two combat tours in Iraq, I know what a good military watch looks like. This watch is an excellent companion to wear in combat and it looks good enough for casual wear. I wore the Traser version on my last tour as well as a Marathon GSAR. Those watches are now confined to my safe as I wear this watch more often than I do my other watches. It is light weight, rugged and macho looking, easy to read at all times and of course it lights up like a torch a night.

What's to like about this watch? First, it is 200 water resistant. That's more than enough WR to withstand any water usage. Second, the case construction (PC/Carbon) is the best making this piece very lightweight. Third, you have to love the color combination. Orange is the international color for emergency/distress and it is very well executed in this piece without overwhelming the watch or making it look like a "fashion watch."

I like this watch so much that I ended up buying the white version (3051). At first when I read Luminox's claim that their watches are used by SF guys, Navy Seals and law enforcement officers I thought to myself, what a gimmick. But now that I own two I can tell you that it is indeed a very practical and though watch that will serve you well either you serve in the Armed Forces, are a law enforcement officer or are a spirited and adventurous civilian.

To close, I have another Army buddy that have one of the original navy Seals watches. He has wore his on two tours in Iraq and has beaten the heck out of it and the watch looks good and has withstood the harsh environment of the desert. Don't hesitate to buy this watch. You will only regret it if you don't get it...
55 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 28, 2015
For a long time I've wanted a Luminox, however, have been somewhat reluctant to spend the money, figuring it to be rather self-indulgent for a person who already owns 4 watches. Temptation took over and I took the plunge, however, only after careful consideration and a bit of research. For starters, I was very hesitant to buy it from Amazon because, I've read in the reviews, that Amazon is not an authorized Luminox dealer and, accordingly, Luminox will not provide a manufacturer's warranty on them - Amazon provides a 3rd party warranty with the same terms and conditions, however, this initially concerned me. Another concern was that through Amazon they were roughly 1/2 the price - I worried they might be counterfeit, defective, used, etc. (not out of fraud on the part of Amazon, but, perhaps, on the part of their "providers"). Amazon has a number of "providers" for the watches. I researched and found one whose storefront stated they were "genuine" and "new". For what it's worth, this was in writing - this provided me with some modicum of assurance (I am no lawyer, however, it seems that a written assurance is worth something (if I got ripped off) and if the watch proved to be otherwise). Additionally, (and I have to be careful writing this since I do not want to commit libel against Luminox), if one does some web research, there seems to be a lot of "bad press" put there re: the quality of Lummox's post-sales support. I figured, how much worse can Amazon's 3rd party warranty (Assurion) be??? I am familiar enough with marketing (having taught it for 17 yrs.) and the term "fair trade pricing". This is an arrangement made between many companies and their "resellers" to sell the product at the MSRP only. Personally, I find the term "fair trade pricing" to be a misnomer, because it's only fair to the manufacturer and its' resellers but NO'T to the consumer (because the practice prohibits stores from discounting the product. The reason for this practice is. of course, to "maintain a high product image" (price being an important component of image) and to "protect" other resellers from price competition (which also allows the manufacture to have broader channels of distribution). I took the plunge, as mentioned, and bought via Amazon. It was a Father's Day gift I had my wife buy me. It arrived in a very timely manner, packaged excellently, and working wonderfully. I am absolutely convinced that it is the real product. I fully trust Amazon and feel that they will stand behind the product were I to get "ripped off" - this is called piece of mind. So what have I got??? A great product at a GREAT price (1/2 the const). I could not be happier. Granted, I've only had it a week now, but it's excellent and I know it's genuine (Google around a bit and there are websites which will show you how to detect a counterfeit Luminox- mine passed with shining stars. The tritium lighting is perfect, uniform, and constantly working - it's a great watch! It keeps perfect time! I know it to be the real thing. So, for what it's worth, if you're considering buying a Luminox, I feel confident in assuring you that (at least through the Amazon provider I bought from) it's genuine and it's a bargain at less that $200 (vs. $395). Time will tell (pun intended) if it passes the real test of time (another pun). I saved myself 1/2 the price and got a warranty included at no extra charge (via Assurion) that is, word-for-word, the same length and degree of coverage that the standard Luminox warranty provides. Again, being careful, I have heard some "bad stories" about Luminox coverage and have not read or heard anything bad about Assurion. This review seems to focus almost exclusively on my buying considerations (and worries). Moving beyond this, the watch looks great, it is extremely comfortable, I love its look and have already had numerous favorable comments from friends and strangers about it. If paying an extra $200 is something you feel you "need" to do, go for it - if saving that $200 is important to you, from my perspective, buying through Amazon is a safe bet.
on January 13, 2012
I bought this watch and it looses 10 minutes a week. I contacted Luminox and they refused to service it because I bought it on Amazon. Beware. They do not stand behind their product and are basically unethical. Purchase at your own risk.
on June 22, 2010
*** WARNING -- DO NOT BUY YOUR LUMINOX WATCH FROM AMAZON.COM ***

LUMINOX WILL SAY AMAZON.COM IS NOT AN "AUTHORIZED" SELLER AND WILL NOT HONOR THEIR WARRANTY.

Mine broke in a year and I just had this problem.
33 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2010
I bought this watch for some basic time tracking needs during my swimming exercises. Its performed wonderfully so far after daily use in the water for around 2 months. I'm not using this for compressed air diving, but rather only for lap swimming and shallow water (2-3 meter) snorkeling. Its been used in chemical treated water, salt water, and natural spring water.
Time accuracy has been surprisingly good. After synchronizing the watch with a network time protocol enabled computer, the watch has only drifted one minute ahead in over two months. In my opinion, not bad for the price point!
Finally, the watch looks excellent. I've read some detractors saying that they felt it looked cheaper than the value paid for it, or that the ink used on the face or bezel scratched away easily. This just isn't the case for me. I think it looks great with casual dress and I've taken to wearing it as my everyday watch out of the water as well.
on December 10, 2010
This watch is very light and comfortable to wear. It keeps great time and shows the time markers in the dark very well which is of great help. The watch around boating and water is perfect. I would buy this watch again.
on June 14, 2015
If you have never owned a Luminox watch, you are missing something. The quality is always extremely high and this model is no exception. It's colorful and really looks good on and I know from experience with Luminox, that I'll have this quality product for a long time to come. Very pleased with this purchase.
on April 26, 2016
I wanted a watch that I can see in the middle of the night. Others glowed when I first went to bed - as long as I held them up to a bright light before going to bed. By the middle of the night, the brightness was gone or so low I couldn't read the time. The Luminox doesn't glow like a search light, but I can read the time all night long. Exactly what I wanted.
on October 1, 2014
I received my Luminox 3059 EVO Navy SEAL watch from Pier 18 quickly enough, and the watch was certainly packed well for shipment by the vendor. But the watch I received fell short of what I was expecting, dial illumination-wise.

What I wanted is a luminous watch I can read at the quickest glance, in virtually any lighting condition, without putting on my glasses; and for me, this Luminox watch falls short of that. Suspecting that I'd received a defective watch, I returned the first one to Pier 18, and reordered another through Amazon.com. There was no difference in the way the second watch illuminates, and like the first, I will return it.

I have experience with tritium-illuminated devices (see my reviews under Meprolight, AmeriGlo, and Trijicon Pistol Sights), and I owned one of the early Sensor Trilight tritium-illuminated LCD watches, back in the 70's. Plus, I've handled both Smith & Wesson and Luminox watches with tritium dials in the past, so, I kind of knew what to expect.

I did some online research, and indeed read that later Luminox watches do not illuminate as brightly as the earlier models did... If this is true or not I can't say firsthand, but I do seem to remember them being brighter. At any rate, the two Luminox watches I received glow nothing like the Luminox Website would have you believe they do.

Yesterday, the Reactor 67101 Oxide Watch I'd ordered for my wife's birthday, arrived. Holy cow! That's what I'm talking about! Not only is the watch beautiful, the dial illumination is outstanding! I promptly ordered myself a Reactor 73808 Gryphon! My new watch should be here tomorrow...

My purpose isn't to knock the Luminox product, as it is certainly a cool watch--very handsome, in fact! And to dark-adapted eyes, the dial illumination is perfectly adequate. But I'm expecting this Reactor Gryphon to blow the Luminox out of the water, illumination-wise!

Note: Both the Luminox watches I received were authentic and brand new. The presentation packaging was impressive. The one purchased from Amazon.com has a warranty issued through Amazon, and Pier 18 (a quality retailer) does their own thing for watch warranties. The Reactor watch warranty is intact no matter where you buy your watch; they don't require you to pay nearly twice what you have to before they'll honor their own warranty... In fact, Amazon.com is recognized as a Reactor Watch Dealer... I'm a big fan of the free-market system, and the Reactor Service Policy resonates with my own world view. Frankly, the Luminox Service Policy bugs me!

As to the quality and durability of either brand, Luminox or Reactor, I cannot comment. But based on the Reactor Watch my wife received, I'm anticipating my Reactor Gryphon to be a much more "substantial" watch than the Luminox appears to be (and I'm well aware that the Luminox is feather-light by design).

RayB
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 18, 2013
I love this watch. The layout of the dial pops with the black and orange. The tritnite is not exceedingly bright. Do not expect it to light up the room. The T25 is a low-key glow that is easily read in the dark. You will not be able to tell it is glowing in a lighted area. The band is one of the most comfortable I've worn. It is a very soft rubber that fits the wrist nicely. It isn't stiff and isn't irritating.

I'm a little disappointed that the second hand does not hit all of he marks on the nose; it hits most of the them. I expected a bit more from the "swiss made" label, but that is a small nit to pick.

Make sure you understand the fact that you may be buying the watch on Amazon from a seller that is not an authorized dealer for Luminox. My watch did not come with the warranty card from Luminox. Without that card, you don't get the 2 year manufacturer's warranty on the watch. I'm sure Luminox will service your watch, but you'll have to pay the price. You need to consider whether the price discount is worth the lack of the manufacturers extended warranty. This fact isn't clearly disclosed on the Amazon website by the sellers, but I learned of this before I purchased.

For me, the discount on the watch was enough to offset the risk. You still have the 30 day return policy with Amazon if you buy it from an Amazon fulfilled seller. However - buyer beware.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse