LunchBots Uno Stainless Steel Food Container, Stainless Steel
Color Name: Stainless SteelChange
Price:$18.99 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Color Name: Stainless SteelVerified Purchase
In search of non-plastic reusable lunch options, I first tried Snack Taxi bags with velcro closures. Snack Taxis only hold so much, and my carrot sticks would be dried out by lunch time, not to mention the fact that if my sandwich wasn't guarded like Fort Knox (we're talking not even keeping it inside the lunch bag) it would be totally smooshed and flat and the bag lent it a funny taste. I decided to try these LunchBots. At first all they had were the ones with the colored lids, and although those are totally cute, they scream KID! to me. I wanted something inconspicuous. When I saw these I just had to get them. I take a lot of food to work every day; breakfast and lunch for a girl with a healthy appetite. I needed some good-sized containers that were lightweight and easy to wash. I am trying to avoid plastic as much as possible, and these paired with the airtight Pyrex 6021224 Storage 10-Piece Set, Clear with Blue Lids (BPA-free) seem to be a great option. Pyrex is heavy and you don't want a lunch bag full of it unless you're a pack mule, so using those for things like yogurt and applesauce and using these for the sandwich and crackers is a perfect combo. These are unbreakable, another plus.

I purchased the Picnic Plus Savoy Insulated Lunch Tote, Green Paisley and the LunchBots Uno and Duo in the plain stainless steel. I was curious how much room would be left in the bag after putting in the two LunchBots. They fit together in the bottom of the picnic plus stacked on top of each other, with room on the side for a cup of yogurt and something else small. They also fit in the top part of the bag stacked on top of each other. So really, you could put four of these in the bag and still have room for a can of soda on the bottom. See pictures above.

A sandwich made with a standard-sized loaf of bread fits in the Uno just fine, as does a croissant or a large bagel. There is room in Uno for a small salad or leftover lasagna, a generous portion. The Duo is the Uno cut in half, and is roomy enough for things like deviled eggs on one side and pickles on another. Or you could put crackers on one side and nuts or trail mix on the other. The point is that Duo holds two adult-sized side dishes or snacks just fine. You aren't going to go hungry, even if you eat a lot like I do. Or, for smaller appetites, you could potentially pack half a sandwich in one side of Duo and some pretzels or chips in the other. The possibilities are endless! One thing to keep in mind when packing two things in Duo, the flavors leaching and the moisture factor. If you pack crackers in one side and something moist, such as apple slices in the other, you may find yourself with soggy crackers come lunch time. Or, if you pack deviled eggs with pretzels you might have egg-flavored pretzels. Just a thought.

The only thing I have found to be mildly annoying is that the lids for my Uno and Duo don't seem to be interchangeable, even though they look the same. This is where the colored lids might actually come in handy. I think the dimensions of these plain containers are slightly different than those of the Lunchbots with the colored lids. Maybe a sandwich wouldn't fit as well in the others? I think these are more square where the others are more rounded.

Overall, these are great products that hold enough food for an adult to eat a decent-sized lunch. I don't think many people would need the space provided by the Eco, which is the larger size with the green lid, unless you want to pack a large salad or something. So if you are looking for something that's easy to clean, eco-friendly, non-plastic, lightweight, and good-sized, these containers will do the trick. Too bad they're so pricey or I'd buy some more!
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon December 17, 2009
Color Name: Blue
We ordered two, with and without the divider. We use both daily for our daughter's lunch. I usually put 1/2-2/3 of a sandwich in the one with no divider and then add a bit of fruit too. In the divided lunchbot I'll put a vegetable in one half and crackers of fruit or desert or something in the other half. We stack them in her lunchbox and there is still room for a bottle of water.

I ordered both direct from[...]. We started losing paint of both lids in less than 2 months. I wrote lunchbots of the problem and they immediately replied that the paint should be much more durable but that a small batch with defective paint was known about. They immediately mailed me two new lids and an extra gift. There's not enough companies still listening to their customers and taking care of problems. Thank you Lunchbots!

Product Summary:
Good size to secure lunch and snacks.
Easy to open and close - yet secure.
Easy to clean.
No more plastic or disposable zip-locks.
Great company.
on June 7, 2009
Color Name: Blue
I have the LunchBots Uno and the Duo (okay, actually I have a couple of each) and they are fantastic! The best thing...no plastic. The Uno is the perfect size for a sandwich, a couple of hot dogs or burritos, or even some pasta. The Duo is great because I can put in two kinds of fruit, or some apples and almonds. They are the perfect size and little hands can open them. I wondered how they would hold up getting crashed around in my 2nd grader son's lunch box, and I am amazed! They have held up and look almost new after using them 5 days a week for several months now.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 6, 2011
Color Name: Stainless SteelVerified Purchase
We have 4 LunchBots Uno Stainless Steel Lunch Containers that we've been using for the past 2 years. They're holding up well, and we wanted a couple more to add to our stash - so we're definitely not replacing our old ones. Well, we just received the order from Amazon, and I can't tell you how DISAPPOINTED I am with the new product. They've changed the design of the container. WHY?!

What is the same between the old version and the new version is that both are all Stainless Steel bottoms & lids.

What is different:

OLD STYLE:
"Rectangular" in shape
Lids were "printed" in ink with the LunchBots logo

NEW STYLE:
"Oval" shaped - and SMALLER than the old Uno containers
Lids are now "embossed" with the LunchBots logo (this is the only aspect that I like better with the new design)

ISSUES:
This new container is a smidge longer in length but much narrower in height. Our bread is more square/rectangular in shape, not oval (!!!). So, if you use "regular" sandwich bread, it won't fit well -- the tops of your bread could be too "tall."

The lids also don't snap on as easily as before -- which will be a challenge for my kids to open/close at lunch time. This is probably the most important issue, though the others are annoyances...)

This last comment would only be an issue for those who have the old set -- because the containers are a different shape & size, you can't interchange lids with the new set... which means more containers/lids to keep track of.... our household is so busy, I don't have time to fuss with that!

Just so very disappointed that the style changed.

Wish they wouldn't have tried to "fix" something that was perfectly fine.
99 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
The manufacturer commented on this review (What's this?)
We changed our product shape in 2010 to create a slightly more modern looking, rectangular, and larger container. Most of our customers love this new style.
We are sorry you don't - and will of course offer the same great customer service we always do. Contact us anytime if you are unhappy and we will make it right.
on July 26, 2012
Color Name: Blue
I've had this Lunchbots for over a year now. Overall, it's been a decent container, though only useful for dry goods. My original intent was to purchase an 'heirloom' lunchbox that was completely foodsafe -- what better choice for that than stainless steel, right?

So anyway, over a year later, the paint regularly chips off. Each day, there are some paint flakes to be found everyhwere -- in the tote bag I use to carry this container, on the rim, and if I'm not careful, in my food.

Given the times we live in, and that there's no way for me to know for certain whether there's lead, cadmium, or other toxics in the paint, this will soon go into the trash.

In fact, that's why I'm on Amazon today -- I came shopping for a 100% stainless steel replacement. After seeing this pop up in the search, I thought I'd at least help others by sharing my experience.

Someone did suggest that Lunchbots was extremely customer-service oriented, and would replace the lids -- no questions asked. That was not my experience at all. I wrote to customer service, and got a standard 'stock' response back which suggested the product is no longer under warranty and this was considered normal 'wear and tear' -- but that I could buy some replacement lids (which were also painted) if I wanted to, at my expense.

(apparently this comes with a one year warranty, so that's all the product is guaranteed for)

So much for quality and so much for manufacturer product support.

Seriously -- what's the point of spending some $20 for a stainless steel item if it won't last much longer than a year?

Best & Respectfully--
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 3, 2011
Color Name: Stainless SteelVerified Purchase
Very disappointed. bought for school kids lunch use. these are very poorly made, lids don't fit well, edges are coarse, and I could barely open the lids myself (forget the kids!). And the divided version were poorly welded and one was not even welded down on one side and was raised up. Returned them all (had bought a set of 4 different ones... the eco lunch box oval 2 pc set is more expensive, but much better made (we ordered those next, after reading from another reviewer that the eco was much better than the lunchbot, and I totally agreed. We kept the Eco.) Not sure why the lunchbots had such high ratings..
on February 1, 2012
Color Name: Stainless SteelVerified Purchase
So it's apparently stainless steel, but it's rusting. I've had it for about a month, and it has the tiniest bits of rust starting to form on the bottom. What the hell.
on February 19, 2011
Color Name: Stainless SteelVerified Purchase
I just purchased the Stainless Uno and Trio (reviewed also) to add to my LunchBots set (along with Uno "classic", Duo and Pico). This review will compare the two Uno versions.

The one reviewer who described this Stainless Uno as smaller than the painted version clearly didn't put them side-by-side. This stainless-covered version is clearly larger: I would guess about 10%. While that is not much, the shape is also more square (with rounded corners) than oval. There is one variety of bread that I use where I needed to trim to fit into the Uno "classic"; it fits easily into this squarer version.

If I were buying only one LunchBots for myself, I would pick this Stainless Uno for the extra size and better shape. I actually own almost the entire line (don't yet have the Eco or the Rounds): this Stainless Uno is a great companion to all the other great LunchBots products.
review image
on February 1, 2010
Color Name: Blue
I think the pros -- no more plastic bags, paper, or tupperware -- are great. Good for the environment. Unfortunately, the main con is that the lids are not very secure, so anything with oil, such as a salad, creates a bit of a sticky mess outside the box. Would be good for sandwiches and dry goods.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2011
Color Name: BlueVerified Purchase
This is a wonderful and economical alternative to disposable plastic and plastic in general.
They are durable, keep lunches from getting smashed (thinking ziplocs), free of chemicals (plastics) and is dishwasher safe. For this reason, I give it 4 stars.

However, the main reason I had purchased this was for sandwiches, for which this is too small. The length is suitable but the width is simply too narrow for most of today's store bought bread.
In light of this, I have just ordered:
LunchBots Eco Stainless Steel Lunch Container and I see they make another, larger (but not as large as the former):
LunchBots Uno Stainless Steel Lunch Container. Both being a little larger than this one.

All-in-all a nice container but for those wishing to use this to pack a sandwich, my advice is to choose a larger size.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations