Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lund 601016 Soft Pack Rooftop Bag
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 24, 2008
After reading good reviews of this bag we bought it to put on our 2006 Grand Prix GT for a week long camping trip for a family of 4. This car has no luggage rack and a slightly sloping roof that has little purchase for the included roof anchors. After going about 10 miles (still in town) it was apparent that the included hardware was not going to be sufficient because the anchors kept popping lose from the door frame. A quick stop to a W**Mart and picking up a set of cam buckle tie downs made this no longer a problem.
Keeper 5105 10' Cam Buckle Tie-Down, 300 lbs. WLL (900 lbs. break strength), 4 Pk, i-Pack You attach the end outside the passenger compartment and then feed the rest of the strap through the passenger compartment and attach on the other bag strap outside the car and shutting the strap in the door frame. Using this essentially makes the bag one with the car with no roof rack needed.

As for the bag itself...

It is large. We packed 4 Coleman Cambridge 30-Degree Rectangular Size Sleeping Bag (Tall) (in vacuum bags), a 13'x13' folding gazebo, a Coleman Family Dome Tent, two Big Bubba Travel Chair - Black, a PORTABLE FOLDING SPORTS CAMPING ARM CHAIR w/cup holder, a Coleman H/T Two-Burner InstaStart Propane Stove, a gym bag stuffed with clothes and 4 coats in vacuum bags.

The bag worked great going to Yellowstone and it was easy to pack. On the way back we hit 17 hours of thunderstorms at interstate speeds (worst rainstorms I have ever driven through). MINIMAL water entered the bag but you would be advised to put everything that can't get wet in a plastic bag.

During the beginning of the trip the wind noise that the straps made was unbearable and we were considering canceling our vacation. Then I got an idea and stopped at another W**Mart and grabbed a package of POLY TEX STR10 "BLACK STALLION" TIE DOWN RUBBER STRAP - 10"(PACK OF 10). I put one between the front strap and the rear strap on each side and the noise pretty much DISAPPEARED. This is not a fault in the bag design, it's simply a matter of not enough lateral tension being applied to the strap to keep them from vibrating in the wind. All bags like this will do this if you do not take this step.

Conclusion: If you do not have a roof rack but want to haul a lot of stuff and are willing to spend a few more dollars on the tie downs and rubber straps this is a great bag and I would recommend it. It is also worth noting that a quick hosing off was all that was needed to clean it.
review image
1414 comments|216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2008
We were looking at the hard-side carriers and much more expensive name brand (Thule, etc.) soft carriers when we stumbled on this one. It was such a bargain, had such favorable reviews, and did not require cross bars on our roof rack, so we decided to give it a shot! We're glad we did! It went with us on a 11 hour road trip, stuffed to the max with Christmas presents. It was very windy, and it rained & snowed on our trip. Nothing in the bag got even the least bit wet, and the bag itself slid back on the roof just a tiny bit, which was amazing considering we were driving into a very strong wind. The bag has a soft bottom, which did not scratch our roof, although we were sure to clean the roof really well before attaching the bag. We did experience some wind noise, which is understandable, considering the winds we were driving in. We especially liked the fact that we did NOT have to purchase cross-bars for our roof rack (our suv just has the side roof rails) to use this roof carrier. This bag can be used with a roof rack with or without cross bars, and it even comes with clips so it can be used with no roof rack at all! One thing to note is that is does not lock, so I wouldn't leave it out overnight filled with your stuff! Overall, great bag at a great price!
on April 6, 2007
Good Material. Traveled from FL to NY at 80 - 90 mph. Easy to install. I kept cheching to see if it was moving while driving. After I passed GA I knew it was not going anywhere. Smooth sailing!
on September 10, 2007
I bought this for extra space for a camp trip, and my car doesn't have a roof rack. After looking at the item, I was pretty sure I could jury rig it to fit without a roof rack. When I open the box I noticed that it had hardware so it could be attached without a roof rack or other permanent installation. I was amazed at how much I was able to put inside, and the padded bottom was great for protecting the paint job on the roof. Maximum weight is 100 pounds. Unsuprisingly gas mileage dropped slightly, but overall the drop wasn't that bad for me.
on February 9, 2008
I purchased this bag from Amazon for less than 30 bucks with free shipping. It was simple to use with my existing roof rack. The box included door jamb hooks that could be placed onto the straps facilitating use on vehicles without roof racks. I can't speak about it's water tightness (no precip on my trip) but it rode all the way from Florida to Ohio with no problems. I had 3 plastic storage bins with lids in this bag (just in case I had to empty the bag at the overnight hotel, which I didn't) and it filled it out pretty nicely.

The added space on this one trip paid for the bag and it worked great!
on August 10, 2006
This cargo roof pack is a soft pack that has about 13 cubic feet volume. It contains dual zippers and four straps that allows you to easily tie down your roof pack to your car roof rack. It is extremely easy to tie down and to use. There is a soft fabric bottom to the pack which will help reduce or eliminate scratches to the top of your car. Overall, very easy to use and to store away.
on August 12, 2007
pretty good car top carrier. bought it at the last minute for a trip to the beach. stayed put for the trip. only thing we didnt like was the wind noise created by it on top of the car. overall, good cheap way to travel if you need extra cargo. the hard shell carriers are way too expense, and you need extra bars to mount them to. this thing just sits on the roof, and is padded to protect your paint job.
on December 20, 2011
I purchased this carrier for a Christmas time family of four trip + 2 small dogs (about 12 hrs driving one way) in a Chevy Impala. This car has a huge trunk and we have traveled before without issues, but after adding in the amount of presents and cold weather clothing we would be transporting, there was no way to get everything inside the car.

I started to search for a roof top carrier but most stated that a roof rack was necessary and I did not want to purchase a rack also as it is likely the only time this will be needed. This bag popped up while searching Amazon and the fact that reviews stated no roof rack was needed, defintley caught my attention. After reading many of the reviews and examining my Impala, I did not feel comfortable that the clips that came with the bag would be sufficient. I took M. Ledford's advice and purchased a pack of 6-ft cam buckle tie-downs at the same time.

The bag arrived and the first thing I noticed was the quality - for the price I was surprised and very pleased. I then set it on the car to see how it would tie-down, and I did not feel the included clips would hold at all -- I belive it all depends on how you particular vehicle roof frame is molded. The Impala roof angles inward about a 45 degrees and the clips would start to slide off as it was tightened.

I ended up making a loop with attached straps just as you would if you were hooking to a roof rack. I took one end of the cam-buckle and hooked it to this strap and ran it into the vehicle and thru the interior handle. I did the same on the opposite side and connected together thru the locking can buckle and pulled tight. I did this in the front and back and the bag was not going anywhere. I ziptied the loose strap ends to the the tight strap and this worked well. No issues with the loose straps flapping and making noise.

Prior to securing, I heeded the warning of others that some moisture will get in in heavy rain. I loaded up boots and heavy coats and other misc. items in garbage bags. I placed two suitcases in the roof bag also and laid a waterproof tarp over the top of them and zipped the bag close.

We set out on our trip and the first eight hours or so were good with minimal noise and a small rain shower. After a stop for gas at about 8 hours, and not even touching the bag, we set back out on the interstate. After about a minute this horrible "vibration" type noise started and would not stop. After about 3 or 4 minutes we could no longer stand it so I pulled over at the next exit and the straps on the bag had loosend slightly. Not anywhere near the point that the bag was endanger of shifting or coming loose, but enough to allow some movement in the straps at 75 MPH causing the noise. After retightening, we pulled back onto the interstate and the horrible noise was gone.

Immediatley after we got going, the rain came and it rained non-stop until we made it to our destination. After about two hours or so of steady rain, the straps that came into the car at all four doors started dripping into the vehicle. Nothing major, but it was definitely annoying and we did not have any towels inside the car to help with this. Something we will be ready for on the trip back home.

After arriving, I immediately removed the bag from the roof and opened it to see how wet/dry everything was. All the items in garbage bags were 100% dry as expected. I removed the tarp and the top of the suitcases were also 100% dry. However, when we removed the suticases, the bottoms were wet from soaking up some water that had settled on the bottom of the bag. After receiving some serious dirty looks from my teenage daughters (I wasn't putting mine or the wife's bag up there :) ), everything inside the suitcases remained 100% dry as there is a plastic lining on the bottom of each suitcase .......I got lucky there.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with this roof top bag. Quality seems excellent and while it does let some moisture in, I can live with that at this price point. I could have paid 5-10X this amount to purchase a roof rack and water proof carrier but I felt like I could make this bag work and it has exceeded my expectations. It's not silent at interstate speeds, but not something that a radio turned up a notch could not handle. Just be sure the straps are very tight with loose ends secured (rechecking at EVERY stop), put anything that needs to stay dry in a plastic bag, and enjoy your trip.
on July 28, 2014
This was on my honey do list before vacation and of course I put off ordering til the last minute...well few days. Thanks to prime, I got the bag the day before we left.

The bag is simply folded up in a box, there are instructions, but you won't need them. After you take the bag out of the box, you can wear the box on your head. Bonus. The only thing you need to know besides being sure to tie it down, is to make sure the side without the zipper faces forward...this will ensure a more water resistant environment.

Having used these types of travel bags in the past, I'd recommend you have your items in other bags so it's easier to load. In the event water does get in, another layer of protection such as a duffel bag with keep your thongs dry. My family all have their own duffel and this will hold 4 large duffel bags and a small one with room to spare. We did not carry bodies in it, so I don't know how that would work out. The bottom of the bag feels padded with a soft fabric so you don't scratch the roof of your vehicle.

For a 1200 mile round trip, I didn't have any leaks and none of my stuff fell out. For under 40 bucks, this is what you need. Will it last for daily trips with frequent unloading and loading with hot sun and monsoons? Probably not. Will it free up 15 cubic feet of space inside your vehicle for straight shot trips that might see a shower or two? Absolutely. I like it and unless you're a whiny sad sack that everyone in the office talks about behind your back, you will like it too.
on September 7, 2009
The Lund product, while at a good price, did not perform well at all. The Lund unit does not have sufficient strength and durability in critical areas such as seams, zipper, and zipper over-lap construction. If you need to know that your gear will be protected, you are better off trying a unit made by CarLoc (purchased at Dick's Sporting Goods), or purchasing a higher-end product such as Thule.

DETAILS: Ordered 2 of the Lund Roof Bags for a summer trip from CT to SC. We used 1 for the trip down and had an extra in case we needed it. After the first use, the front corner ripped adjacent to the zipper. The zipper also opened at the closed end, causing the entire zipper run to open, which basically renders the whole unit unsecured.
The unit was only subject to some (summer) rain. It malfunctioned, causing our luggage to get wet. Based on this poor performance, we dared not utilize the second unit, and opted instead to purchase another manufacturer's roof pack (CargoLoc),at actual less cost, while on vacation. The CargoLoc was a better quality unit and worked without any problems.