5.0 out of 5 stars Essential baking cookbook
This is a terrific cookbook, even for people like me who are not trained bakers. I have succeeded in making three recipes already--they work great. Have a long way to go to try a lot of other really inviting recipes. Her book also serves as a great reference for anything chocolate.

Published on November 16, 2004 by J. Montgomery

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipes Incorrect
I have only made 2 desserts from this cookbook, but they both turned out HORRIBLY. I have never had problems following recipes, so I was surprised and disappointed when the first two recipes I tried turned out terribly (Chocolate Turtle Tart and Chocolate Decadence). The Chocolate Turtle Tart was inedible, due to the caramel being hard as a rock. When my husband (a...
Published on December 6, 2005 by Katherine A. Carlson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential baking cookbook, November 16, 2004
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)

I was quite impressed with the fact that Ms. Lonbotham pays an historical homage to Chocolate Decadence (page 42) as being a seminal contribution to chocolate lovers worldwide. Living in Berkeley at the time, I well remember what a sensatation it caused.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chocolate Heaven, October 26, 2004
Up All Night (Stuyvesant, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
I discovered Lori Longbotham when I found a copy of Luscious Lemon Desserts at a friend's house. That book has a recipe for, hands down, the most amazingly good Lemon Curd that I have ever eaten. So when I saw that there was now a Luscious Chocolate Desserts, I had to get it. I've already made three things: the Luscious Chocolate Layer Cake and the Quickest, Easiest Chocolate Mousse Pie. Both excellent. For the third thing I made, see below.

What I really liked about this book is that all the recipes look like something you could walk into the kitchen and make without a lot of difficulty. You don't have to search all over for fancy ingredients, you don't need a lot of know-how. You just follow the very clear instructions, and you get cake (or cookies, or pie, or ice cream) like you're a professional baker. The Lemon Book is like that, too.

But my favorite thing in this book is that, besides all the cookies and brownies and the usual stuff, there is chocolate stuff that I had never even heard of. Buy this book if only to make one recipe: Bicerin. I had never heard of this before but it's an Italian drink of melted chocolate, coffee, and milk. I read about it and I thought, "I have to taste this." And I had some good Belgian chocolate in the house, so I walked into my kitchen and I made bicerin and in some ways, it was a darn shame, because now I've been drinking a cup of it every day and this book is going to make me gain 10 pounds before I'm done with it. But at least I'll have enjoyed every bite.

5.0 out of 5 stars HEAVENLY LUSCIOUS RECIPES, August 5, 2005
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
If you are a die-hard chocoholic, and love desserts, you will love this book! The recipes are wonderful and the pictures make your mouth water.Lori Longbotham has done it again and has another winning cookbook.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of chocolate dreams, November 5, 2004
Chocolate lover "Ellen" (Rutherford, Napa Valley) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
This companion book to "Luscious Lemon Desserts" is another winner. Lori Longbotham leads you down a chocolate path that will tempt you to devour the photographs. They are so life-like. There is something for everyone who believes "chocolate is a magic substance and noblest of dessert ingredients," You can select one of the nine chocolate cake recipes or grilled chocolate stuffed bananas...or one of the eleven dessert sauces. This is a #l choice for Christmas for your favorite baker.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for chocolate lovers, January 6, 2006
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
Lori Longbotham's two lemon books-Lemon Zest and Luscious Lemon Desserts-are two of my favorite cookbooks. I like chocolate even more than lemon, so I was happy to see that chocolate was the next in her "Luscious" series. She includes great versions of homey desserts like Chocolate Pudding and Chocolatiest Crinkles, but there are also lots of grown-up treats too-like her unusual Nib Nougatine Brownies and the dreamy Chocolate Panna Cotta. Just about all of them are easy to make, and, as always, her instructions are clear enough even for inexperienced bakers. Also, as a special bonus, you can now get a version of this book called "The Chocolate Deck"-very portable, and a great gift for any chocolate lover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly Chocolate recipes, September 24, 2004
Jean Galton (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
Lori Longbotham's cookbooks always make me want to run into the kitchen and start cooking and Luscious Chocolate Desserts is no exception. The recipes are simple to follow, the photos gorgeous and the results are truly luscious. This is the perfect book for any chocoholic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Just Another Chocolate Book, December 12, 2004
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
What a delight to recieve Lori's latest book. Again she brings her passion and special brand of humor to this enduring favorite.Luscious Chocolate Desserts is a fascinating read filled with well developed and reliable recipes, intriguing historical facts and clear, simple tips for handling this fickle

culinary treasure.Once more, Lori informs, amuses, inspires and educates with her unique perspective and impressive knowledge.

A perfect gift for my chef-pals and my friends who still struggle to make a decent cup of cocoa.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate chocolate lover's desert guide, August 2, 2006
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
A former food editor for the Gourmet, Lori Longbotham, the author of Luscious Lemon Deserts, delights readers with her next endeavor Luscious Chocolate Deserts. Beginning with a short history of chocolate, ending with a glossary of chocolate terms and explanations, and packed with appetizing chocolate-laden recipes in between, this book is the ultimate chocolate lover's desert guide.

This 144-page book includes high-gloss and high-quality photos of gorgeous chocolate creations to compliment the recipes and information provided. The photographs alone almost make this book a must have, but when the recipes are added to help the reader create these chocolate masterpieces, this book is required reading for chocolate lovers everywhere.

The best appeal to this book is that the recipes offered range all the way from simple, down-home chocolate pudding to the extravagant and decadent delights found only in restaurants. Yet the recipes are provided in easy to follow formats and use ingredients that are not difficult to find at any local supermarket. Then just for fun, Ms. Longbotham throws in such interesting ideas as Grilled Chocolate Stuffed Bananas.

For the chocolate lover, or even for those who just occasionally like to indulge, this recipe book is a great addition to any kitchen, and makes an excellent gift for your chocolate loving friends.

Chocolate Zoom Magazine
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Luscious, Gooey, Dark and Sweet, November 3, 2004
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
Not only is this book visually seductive, it is a treat to cook from. The recipes are enticing and very well written. Even the rich chocolate souffle recipe tells you to boil the water so that it can go into the pan surrounding the souffle dish! Very helpful to have this kind of information BEFORE you start making the souffle.

The chocolate chip cookies with pistachios and dried cherries are a fabulous and unique combination of flavors. The French chocolate macaroons are sinful. Who wants to be good all the time?

5.0 out of 5 stars More than Just a Pretty Face, October 23, 2004
Nina (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luscious Chocolate Desserts (Hardcover)
With a fabulously velvety and sensual cover, this book delivers what it says--Luscious Chocolate Desserts is much more than just a pretty face. The recipes are indeed as luscious as the beautiful images make them out to be.

Even better, Longbotham is a real cookbook writer for real cooks in the real world: the recipes work, she gives just enough detail, and her prose is engaging. You feel like she's there in the kitchen with you. You like Lori, and you trust her. I suspect it would be no problem trying any recipe out of this book the first time around, even if I were making it for an important dinner party.

I loved the author's previous book, Luscious Lemon Desserts, and this chocolately follow-up is just as good as its tart sister. Right on, Lori.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Luscious Chocolate Desserts
Luscious Chocolate Desserts by Lori Longbotham (Hardcover - August 12, 2004)
$19.95 $15.17