4.0 out of 5 stars Works but need more dimming range
Published on September 30, 2011 by Jarra

Published on January 19, 2013 by Tee Dee Aye

4.0 out of 5 stars Works but need more dimming range, September 30, 2011
This review is from: Lutron TTCL-100H-BL Credenza Dimmable CFL/LED Dimmer, Black (Tools & Home Improvement)
I bought this to use with a dimmable LED PAR20 bulb from Lighting Science (sold as Home Depot 866623) that I put in my reading lamp. Initially I was using my old incandescent dimmer, which worked well to dim, but caused the bulb to make a loud buzz, even at full brightness, that it didn't make when plugged directly into the wall. I bought this Lutron dimmer hoping it wouldn't cause the bulb to make noise, but the identical buzz is still there. Still, I can't really fault the dimmer, because maybe it's the bulb's fault it makes noise. But don't expect this dimmer to fix a buzzing bulb.

This dimmer is quite well constructed, and I generally think highly of Lutron products, but I have to take a star off because the dimming range is restricted. That old incandescent dimmer goes much lower than the Lutron. I'm sure Lutron designed it this way on purpose in order that the bulb would always start and never extinguish, but I notice that their in-wall dimmers have a dimming range adjustment, and this one should have it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A dimmer switch without all that work-- or electrocution, July 22, 2011
I live in an apartment. That means that my landlord doesn't really like me to put on an electrician hat to make my hovel more habitable. That also means that I am not installing a dimmer switch to increase the ambiance for nocturnal adventures. What is a bachelor to do? Well, you buy this thing! Everything you like about a dimmer switch without turning off the breaker box and pulling out the screw driver set.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, September 28, 2011
I have started switching from CFL to dimmable LED lights and this dimmer is perfect.

There is no flicker and the quality of light from LED bulbs is better (to me) than incandescent. LEDs beat CFL up one side and down the other in every way including quality of light. I never had an issue with CFL but LED is sooo much better.

This dimmer will work with dimmable CFLs but they do have a habit of buzzing (very dependent on the individual bulb).

I have two LEDs plugged into one of these, one 2.5W in a table lamp and one 8W in an uplight and they both dim from full brightness to barely-there levels; absolutely perfect for a TV room.

Highly recommended product.

4.0 out of 5 stars How well it works depends on your bulb, February 1, 2014
Eric T. Ford (Michigan and New York, USA) - See all my reviews
I was hesitant to order this product given the very mixed reviews, but I wanted a dimmer on my bedroom lamp enough to take the risk.

The dimmer itself is fine. It works as advertised. But how well it works depends which bulb you are dimming with it. This dimmer was bought specifically to dim the lamp on my bedside table, which currently has an LED installed.

I tried the dimmer with a CFL bulb installed in the lamp, and it caused the bulb to hum or buzz. Yuck. But I'm getting rid of my CFLs anyway.

I've been on something of an LED adventure recently. LED is finally coming around, but there's still a lot of variation in the quality of the bulbs. First I tried this dimmer with a couple of those Cree LEDs you can find at Home Depot (they are listed as dimmable). The bulbs hummed when dimmed, and as others have said the dimming range was narrow. You could only dim to about 50% of full output. This was a lousy result and I was about to send the dimmer back to Amazon, but I did some research on Google and it turns out not all LEDs are created equal.

To elaborate on the hum, it's a subtle electrical hum emanating from the bulb itself (not the dimmer). I hate noise. I think electrical hums are one of the great nuisances of modern life. We're all accustomed to light fixtures humming or buzzing in the workplace and school, like those ghastly, ubiquitous fluorescent ceiling panels - but when I'm at home I like to have peace and quiet.

Next, I bought a Philips LED through Amazon and installed it in the same lamp, with the dimmer. I bought the new bulb specifically because the reviews say it doesn't buzz. Well, the bulb does buzz, but you can only hear it if you put your ear about 4 inches from the bulb. From a foot away or more, it's effectively silent. I'm not sure why this is, but it's good enough for me. The Philips bulb also dims much lower than the Crees; thus, dimming it actually worth the trouble.

So, ultimately, this dimmer is good. Just make sure the bulb you're using is up to the task.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection for FEIT Dimmable LED, September 10, 2014
I use this to dim FEIT Dimmable lights and have tested it on two different styles of FET lamps with perfection on both. It and the lamps are silent, and the range is smooth and perfect with no fluctuations at any level. The "dimmest" setting is not too low and can't be adjusted lower, but sliding the slider a final click turns the lamps off. It's a solid 5-Star performer and could only earn extra credit if it dimmed lower (this is highly dependent on your lamps) or had a "minimum" setting adjustment. Feels well built and works great. Now if only my other dimmers worked this well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dim that lamp!, April 8, 2014
Daniel Scot Linton (Fayetteville, AR United States) - See all my reviews
Exactly what I was looking for. A way to dim my LED-equipped lamps. I bought two. One for the clip-light attached to my stereo/movie rack so I can have a dim light to manage equipment while watching movies. The second one I wanted for a 3-light floor lamp next to my bed. This dimmer handles the three (identical) lamps being switched on and off quite well. I can turn off 2 of the lights and dim the third to night-light levels. BTW, I have found Lowe's house-brand dimmable LED's to be very good for dimming down to low levels -- not all do so well.

2.0 out of 5 stars This Dimmer for CFL/LED Lamps Unacceptable Using Sylvania 14 Watt LED Bulbs, January 19, 2013
Bought two of these dimmers and tested both with two table lamps using three new Sylvania 14 watt LED bulbs (75 watt comparable). At full brightness, light output of the bulbs through the dimmer seemed to be reduced about 25% compared to just plugging the lamp directly into the wall outlet; the 1100 lumen Sylvania bulbs seemed to be no brighter than an 820 lumen bulb. The full range of dimming went down to about 40% of that, and then abruptly shut off. There was also noticeable flickering on any level other than full power.

This disappointing performance may be confined to their use with Sylvania LED bulbs. Both dimmers worked reasonably well with a Phillips 17 watt bulb, and didn't malfunction as they had with the Sylvania bulbs. But they still did not dim down below about 40%; I think a good dimmer should be able to dim down to 10%, or even below.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dimming LED's, October 31, 2014
Start with the glitches: I have to knock off at least a star because of three reasons. 1) The design of this dimmer is such that you plug it into the wall, then plug your lamp into the dimmer plug, Christmas tree light-style, making the whole contraption stick out from the wall about 5". It's not only incredibly awkward but gets in the way of couches and furniture. I had to add a small 5" extension cord to make it manageable. Thumbs down on the design. 2) The plastic is very shiny and scratch prone. I bought 5. One came pre-scratched out of the package. They should've made these in a matte finish. 3) These dimmers are unable to deliver full power. See below.

I used these on the Philips-style donut-shaped LED's, which are rated at 10.5 watts. Testing with the lamp plugged directly into the wall, these LED's are pulling 10.7 watts. Plugged into this dimmer at full power, the bulbs are only able to draw 9.5 watts, losing an entire watt. Fortunately, there's not that much difference in brightness. At the lowest setting, the bulbs are pulling an astonishing 2.6 watts, saving 8.1 watts of power from full brightness.

There is some minor buzzing on the Philips bulbs, some worse than others. I have these same bulbs over my dining room table on an expensive Lutron LED dimmer and some do and don't buzz there as well. The buzzing is likely the Philips bulbs, not this dimmer. With regular ambient noise, I don't notice the buzzing. I have to get down to about a foot or two from the lamps to hear the sound.

I leave these on all night for about 14 hours on a timer. at 12 cents per khh, assuming they're never raised to full brightness, that's a cost of $1.70 per year compared to the non-dimmed cost of $7.01 per year for a savings of $5.31 per year on these lamps.

I didn't buy these for the energy savings, although that's a bonus. I bought them to dim lights and make a tv viewing area more muted. LED's will simply not dim down like a regular incandescent. And regular incandescent bulbs as they dim, become inefficient, meaning an incadescent at 50% brightness is still drawing probably around 70% power. LED's on the other hand, become more efficient at lower power, which is why they appear brighter. On this dimmer, the Philips bulbs are at what unscientifically appears to be about 40-50% brightness at the lowest setting.

Assuming the lamps are run at full brightness that the dimmers can deliver, the Philips bulbs cost $6.22 per year. Compared to their original $7.01 cost when not plugged into the dimmer, this is a savings of 79 cents per year.

Depending on how you use these dimmers, they could end up paying for themselves either in 2-3 years or in 15-20 years if you never dim your lamp at all and leave it running 12-15 hours a day. Of course many factors will play into it.

TIP: To help with the inevitable scratching of these shiny plastic dimmers as they fall all over the table and floor,or not being able to find the dimmer because someone threw it down and didn't care where it fell, I used the twist tie that was wrapping the cord in the package to tie them to the cord where it comes out of the lamp. Now they won't get lost behind the couch or overly scratched up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet!, January 19, 2012
CNK. (Austin, TX USA) - See all my reviews
A lot of this type of slider switch have subtle variations in the feel of the slider, whether there's a soft semiclick upon reaching the "off" end, etc. I'd thought this would be an exact match to another Lutron I have, but it turns out it's variations fit my roommate's personality better than mine - which is great, since it was for her :-) Mine probably had a different model number, so Lutron's innocent here. Both switches work *very* well. We like 'em.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 11, 2014
Works well on rope lights.