Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 15, 2007
This final recording of America's finest choral group ever (my apologies to Shaw and Wagner)and brings a fitting close to their impressive recording history. A follow-up to their original Catherdral Classics CD, a best seller, this CD has something for everyone. Tons of Russian work done with impeccable intonation, and spectacular performances of newer 20th and 21st century composers. Highlights most certainly are John Rutter's "Hymn to the Creator of Light" and 35 year-old Eric Whitaker's "Lux Aurumque". Both are performed with reverence and delicacy reminding the listener that this is singing from the heart by professionals at the top of their game. Bravo, Dr. Warland....
on September 17, 2007
The Dale Warland Singers' recordings cannot be missed by lovers of choral music, nor by any lover of fine singing, and this one goes right to the top of the list. It stands, hand in hand with their "Cathedral Classics" (featuring tremendous performances of the Martin Mass and Howells Requiem), as superlative evidence of the marvelous achievements possible in a cappella choral singing. Various flaws can mar many ensembles' otherwise strong performances, but not here; this disc enthralled me as few others ever have. Solid, expert, tender throughout. The repertory is gorgeous, a fitting program for Warland's final offering. Just to name one piece, I've waited long for a great recording of Chesnokov's Spaseniye (Salvation is Created), and indeed this one may not be surpassed for a very long time. Listen to its softest moments: balance, precision, motion, phrase giving way to phrase... all of this and never failing to be beautiful. This harsh critic has rarely been so impressed; I wish, if only it were possible, that every fine work of choral music had been recorded by Warland and his extraordinary ensemble. Bravo.
on November 10, 2007
This album is fantastic. For years I have searched for the perfect recording of Salvation Is Created, and I believe the search is over. It is as close to perfection as humanly possible. This music is a must have. Whitacre's Lux Aurumque has long been a favorite, and this is the finest I have ever heard it performed. It is so well done that it transports the listener into a blissful, soul-searching world made entirely of sound. For me, these two are the highlights, but the remaining works are no less worthy of praise. The recording is crystal clear, and you may as well be standing in front of them.
Bravo!
on December 13, 2008
This is a great final recording from one of America's finest choral groups. I think the strength of this recording is that it includes some great a cappella choral works not heard very often. It also includes some standards such as "Lux Arumque", "Salvation is Created", "Hymn to the Creator of Light" just to name a few. If there is a negative it's that the sopranos are a little out of balance with the rest of the choir. The only work I did not care for was "Complete This Work" by Schnittke. Perhaps it needs a larger choir to be effective, but I just don't think it works on this recording. Also, Robert Shaw's sensitive interpretation of Lauridsen's "O Magnum Mysterium" remains the favoite for me. However, "To God" by Argento makes the disc worth owning just for this one track. Overall, a good addition to any serious choral library.
on July 14, 2012
I admit up front that I love "classical" choral music of all eras. This is an excellent anthology of superbly performed and well-configured "spiritually" oriented choral pieces. Many of these works are familiar to me from other performances, some slightly superior; but it is nice to have them arrayed in this fashion and presented so superbly. For me, only the two pieces, one each by Howells and Rutter, seemed to dull things down a bit, though even those were enjoyable. I love modern choral music, particularly that of the Baltics (Vasks,Esenvalds,Miskinis,Praulins) and Americans (Whitacre,Gjeilo,Lauridsen), and this anthology makes for one great hour of listening.
on February 3, 2012
I have conducted a few choirs in my time, written and arranged some choral music. In all my efforts, the Dale Warland Singers were my model. I can't begin to express how often I have turned to Maestro Warland's albums for consolation, inspiration, or simply pure joy. And they introduced me to such wonderful composers: Morten Lauridsen, Stephen Paulus, Trond Kverno, John Tavener. I could go on . . . . .
This ensemble was without peer in the world of professional choirs. Others were bigger, but nobody sang with greater felicity, precision, and sheer joy. I miss them so. With the departure of the DWS from the choral world, those of us who love choral music find that world a little smaller, a little less vivid, a little less bright.
I treasure my Dale Warland CDs, this one above all because it has Morten Lauridsen's O Magnum Mysterium on it, as well as Eric Whitacre's Lux Aurumque.
Thank you, dear friends. I never had the joy of attending a performance, but I was with you in spirit in every song you ever sang. Good bye.
on March 29, 2015
Of all time I have never heard a chorus as beautiful, seamless and balanced and perfectly recorded. For a selection of 20th century choral composing this is it. My favorite: O magnum mysterium. Larry Benz
on February 11, 2014
No orchestra, bells or whistles. Just simply beautiful singing to make the heart soar, whether it be for meditation or silence of your day or evening. The Singers bring tranquility & peace. If you wish for a little piece of Heaven, then this disc is for you. Treat yourself to some joy & comfort.
on June 12, 2013
I've listened to just about every recording of this piece in the process of planning a radio broadcast; the Dale Warland Singers were the best of the best for this genre. The recording acoustics are superb, as well. Can't recommend it too much!!
on January 23, 2014
The Dale Warland Singers are the epitome of beautiful choral music! I give some to my mother each year, and have some to enjoy myself when I want to revel in some peaceful, spiritual music.