4.0 out of 5 stars reasonably reliable
Published on August 13, 2008 by Soil Guy

1.0 out of 5 stars There's a problem with this unit when temps go over 100 degrees
My unit is set to turn on a fan in my shed at 90 degrees (then of course off if goes below that), but if the temperature of my shed happens to go over 100 degrees during the day, it will never turn the fan off when the temp goes below 90. I had LUX exchange my first unit, but the replacement acts exactly the same. So now I have a 24 hr timer that powers the LUX unit ON in...
Published on July 6, 2012 by John W. Ohara Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars reasonably reliable, August 13, 2008
This review is from: Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat (Tools & Home Improvement)
I use this thermostat to turn on and off an attic fan when temperatures get too high. I've found that every few months mine needs to be turned off and reset, or the fan will just run continously. This is no big deal for my purposes, but if you use it for applications where temperature control is critical for keeping animals or plants alive, check it periodically or buy a more expensive unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accurate and a great value, October 6, 2009
DBoz (Elk Grove Village, IL) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased two of these units to regulate the temperature in my bedroom and my living room. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment. The temperature readout is spot on and it's easy to program. However I do have two complaints:

1. The unit can only program weekdays and weekends. That means you can't choose a specific day of the week to program. For example, I am never at my apartment on Saturdays, however since Saturday and Sunday must have the same schedule, as well as monday-friday, I'm wasting energy.

2. In order for this unit to work, there MUST be a ground plugged into the outlet. I bought two "DeLonghi HHP1500 Mica Panel Radiator" heaters (they are amazing, I highly recommend) which don't have a ground. In order for it to work, I had to plug in an extension cord into the thermostat to trick it into thinking the ground was plugged in, then I plugged my heater into the extension cord and it worked.

Overall, I recommend the thermostat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this! It makes the room temperature very stable!, April 3, 2011
Electric Leaf (Cincinnati, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I installed 2 of these in bedrooms and plugged in electric heaters. They maintain the room temperature +- 1 degree even though I lower the central heating temperature to save money. Previously I used the thermostats built into Delongi oil filled electric radiators to control the room temperature. The best I could get was maybe +- 3 degrees. The WIN100 completely solved the temperature stability and targeting problems I was having!

The thermocouple and electronic thermostat in the WIN100 is much more accurate than the built in bi-metalic mechanical thermostats in most portable electric heaters. The bi-metalic thermostats had a scale of 1-6 and I had to set each heater to a different number to get the right room temperature. Also I had to bump the set point up and down depending on how cold it was outside. Probably something to do with varying thermal gradient inside the heater housing... anyway, inherent problem when the temperature sensor is next to the heater.
After installing the WIN100, the room temperature was completely stable!
Programming is straight forward. Typical for an electronic thermostat.

Heater set up suggestions:
1) Use oil filled radiator heaters for bedrooms. They are SAFE, QUIET and don't make drafts.
2) Set your heater for medium power, not high. Long, low heat input keeps the room temperature more stable. Lower power reduces the chance of overheating and fire if you have a slightly damaged wall receptacle. (If your receptacle is very warm to the touch, replace it with a new spec grade receptacle.)
3) Place the WIN100 on an outside wall. This is opposite what the user manual says, but it will give you a more stable room temperature. The apparent temperature for a person is a function of the air temperature (conduction & convection heating) and the wall temperature (thermal radiation heating). When it is really cold outside, the walls get colder and you need to bump up the air temperature to keep the room "feeling" the same temperature. Putting the temperature sensor on the cold wall gives you an automatic bump in air temperature as needed.
4) Put the heater away from the WIN100 temperature sensor. Put your hand by the WIN100. If you can feel the heat of the heater, it is too close.
5) Put the heater under a window. That's where most of the cold comes into the room.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect portable thermostat, January 4, 2009
The LUX WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat is the perfect solution for heating or cooling one room. I purchased three (3) units: one for each bedroom hooked up to a small oil-filled radiator to heat the bedrooms in the winter. I don't like forced air heating because it dries out the air too much. This has not only allowed us to breath comfortably at night, but also cut my electric bill. Although we broke record lows this fall (avg of 30-40 degrees every night for the month of November), my electric bill was the no higher than an avg November. I was expecting a $200-$300 electric bill and it was only $150 for Nov. Not bad for an all-electric three bedroom home.

With the ability to program the temp for each day (four time settings for M-F, and four times for S-S) The Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat takes all the work out of remembering to turn on or off the heat (or air). For example, you could set the thermostat to 68 degrees at 9PM, 65 at 3AM, 72 at 6AM, and 60 at 8AM. This could be the M-F setting. You could set the temp for four different times for S-S as well.

Another nice feature is the ability to program the unit without having to be plugged in (armchair programming) thanks to the backup batteries, included. They are of the button cell type, and are supposed to be replaced every year, but I think I will just wait until they die. And last but not least is the "hold" button, which allows you to manually adjust the temp and keep it there, thus overriding the programmed temp settings. It will stay at that temp until you press hold again, thereafter returning to the programmed setting.

The thermostat is rated at 120VAC, 15A -- enough power to run most space heaters or A/C units. The unit will operate manually operated heaters (not digital) and manual or digital A/C units if the digital A/C unit has auto on capability after power failure. The thermostat works by cutting the power to the heater/AC unit once the desired temp has been reached.

Thanks, Lux, for a great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why hasn't someone done this before?, January 30, 2007
J. Holmes (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
I bought this for use in my garage workshop, to control a small gas wall furnace/space heater. The heater has its own thermostat, but it's not programmable and it's terribly inaccurate, prone to wide fluxuations in temperature. This device does a lovely job of keeping the shop comfortable when I expect to be there while letting the place cool off at night to save energy. It's lovely, and such a simple idea that I wonder who no other thermostat manufacturer seems to offer an equivalent product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, June 12, 2007
I've used this plug in thermostat for about 8 months now for both heaters and air conditioners. The programming is straightforward. I will be purchasing a second unit soon. I highly recommend it as a great cost saving measure. The only drawback is that it does not seem to recognize past midnight on Sunday as weekday programming. I assume weekday programming kicks in at the first Monday interval.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Control, December 9, 2009
Just what we've been looking for to control a space heater in a RV. Was planning on building our own control using a 110V timer ... until I found this. Haven't had it long enough to test its durability; but outward indications are great construction compared to a different brand of set-back thermostat we recently purchased for the house. Accuracy is right-on; and the comfort zone is great compared to using the heater's thermostat. Very easy to program. We would recommend this item ... can't build it for this price.

Lux's website states this is "not for use on Electronically Controlled Space Heaters"; the package states "not for use on Electronically Controlled Space Heaters"; and the manual (downloadable from Lux's website) states "WARNING: For use only with Air Conditioners and space heaters that automatically restart cooling and heating operation after power reconnection". So why would one give this item a bad rating because it won't work with an electronic controlled space heater?? As all three warning indicate 'If your heater won't restart when you unplug it and plug it back in, this control will not work for you'.

Also Lux's website states "Setting Range 45° F to 90° F". Can't fault the control because it won't work at 40° F.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine with one limitation, December 27, 2008
D. C. Ho (Briarwood, NY United States) - See all my reviews
As with other LUX products(sometimes available in selected models under the ACE Hardware house brand), they are pretty reliable. The only kink I can think of is it's pre-programming does not allow past 11.45pm shut off and only starts at 6.00am. The programmers at LUX tend to forget there are 'night-owls' out there or people who stay up late for whatever reason to work or play. I have another whole house Lux thermostat that has the same limitation. A numerical punch button manual programming (for whatever time you want )feature will be ideal in this instance.

5.0 out of 5 stars In one month, cut my electric bill in half ! Awesome., October 22, 2009
The Auditor "J" (Blizzard Country USA) - See all my reviews
I purchased 4 of these units for the 4 electric (analog, not digital) radiators I use in my house for living room, bedroom, bathroom & kitchen.

Electric bills are financially crippling in the Upper Midwest if you're trying to heat (electric heat) a poorly insulated, single pane windowed, 134 yr old 2 story home. My monthly average plan (year round) runs 182.00 per month. (this is for 1 person!)

I plugged these units in a little more than a month ago, and waited to see the electric bill compared to last year this time to review.

This year's temperatures averaged 2 degrees cooler the past month than last year. Here's the difference these programmable thermostats have made.
1. Having the rooms actually warm during the time I use them, and programmed to be cold when I'm not using them? I'm actually WARM for a change. No need to kill electricity when I'm not using certain rooms, or the wallet for that matter

2. Kilowatts? I went from over 1100kwh used during this time last year, to 552 kwh for the same time frame this year. COOL. er, I mean, WARM.

3. Having the rooms I'm currently using actually be really warm, with the heat cranked up, being much more comfortable than the last few years, AND cutting my electric bill in half at the same time? PRICELESS. Actually, you CAN put a price on it. A much lower price in your electric bill, and much higher comfort level @ the same time.
Total time out for 4 of these to pay for themselves? About 5-6 weeks in Minnesota. Can't wait to see how much I can save in a few weeks when the blizzard season is upon us.

And yes, easy to program, easy to follow instructions, and about 8 days from order to delivery. Everything arrived in perfect condition, and I just love that I'll be contributing less $$ to my power company's Lexus fleet fund.

If you want to be warmer, and want half the bill? Get these programmable thermostats, and use with the cheap analog oil-filled electric radiators. Way warmer than a few years ago when I ran my furnace (300 a month before fuel) with LP which was running me around 5-600 per month when it was just over a dollar a gallon). Oh, and thousands cheaper than the furnace/LP days, and about half of the electricity I used last year with the radiators. I should buy stock in this company. There's an idea, buy stock with the $ I save in electric bills.

6 stars.
J.W.
Minnesota

5.0 out of 5 stars WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat by Lux, May 29, 2011
I use this thermostat to control the temperature in my entertainment cabinet. I connected the AC outlet of the thermostat to a power strip and plugged in two fans (one AC and one 12V with an an AC adapter) to the strip. The fans come on when the set temperature is reached to cool the cabinet. It works like a charm.

Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling Programmable Outlet Thermostat
$59.99 $40.00
In stock. Usually ships within 4 to 5 days.