5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable cherry taste
Okay, maybe it's not exactly unbelievable, because it is exactly what good maraschino cherries looked and tasted like when I was a kid. They are dark. The syrup is thick and dark. The aroma is the essence of cherries and their presence in a cocktail is magical -- taking cherries from a flavorless, if colorful, garnish, to another layer of delicious bouquet and taste...
Published on November 28, 2009 by J. B Kraft

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetically pleasing, but unpleasantly candied.
Published 22 months ago by M. Trutt

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable cherry taste, November 28, 2009
J. B Kraft "lonestargazer" (Palestine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar

Unless you are over 45, it is quite possibly you never tasted a maraschino cherry like these

While the price is not inexpensive, the value, in terms of what is added to any drink or recipe with these, is quite high. Two of these cherries will outpower a dozen of those bright red "things". And don't let cocktails be the only use. Your children deserve to experience what a "cherry" cola or other soft-drink "should" taste like, or an over-the-top sundae or banana split. Similarly, I believe I am going to get my wife to make a Schwartzwalder Kirchtorte (Black Forest Cherry Cake) with these to really experience the sublime bliss that is cherry and chocolate.

They muddle in cocktails extremely well and infuse the entire drink with an exquisite hint of cherry. Old Fashionds and Manhattans become more sublime, and cherries suddenly hold their own with oranges, lemons and other fruits in a cocktail.

1-23-2013 -- NOTE ON SHELF LIFE
Unopened, these will last a year. A open jar of these cherries should last in your bar about 3-6 months. However, this past year I decided to store them in the refrigerator. It did not hurt the flavor but after a while, the syrup started to harden into granulated sugar. So, if you plan on using a jar in 3 months or so, leave them covered in your bar. If you think it will take longer, refrigerate, but let the cherries and syrup come out to "breathe" at room temperature before using. The syrup and muddling will infuse your cocktails better then.

3.0 out of 5 stars Aesthetically pleasing, but unpleasantly candied., August 29, 2012
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
I purchased this product after reading the great reviews here on Amazon and on cocktail-oriented websites. Having spent a good deal of time experimenting with different recipes to make my own cocktail cherries, I was eager to try this classic product. I very much expected to love these. Unfortunately, I found these a little disappointing, and I thought I'd share a more measured evaluation with other Amazon readers.

Visually: The Luxardo cherries look great; nearly black in color and coated in a very thick dark red syrup. They're also small; maybe half the diameter of a bing cherry that you might buy in the produce aisle. I think they're somewhat smaller than the commonly available cheap pink maraschino cherries.

Aroma: They smell very nice. Like cherry soda, I guess.

Texture: They're quite firm. When you bite into them, there's a slight "pop" before they dissolve into sugary goo. It's a little weird if you're expecting the texture of fruit.

Taste: This is my big complaint. Yes, there's a nice cherry flavor, but it's completely overshadowed by the fact that they are SWEET. I mean unbelievably, mind-blowingly, unpleasantly SWEET. They are a mouthful of pure cherry-tinged SUGAR. I hadn't quite realized this from reading the earlier reviews, and I was expecting something like a slightly sweetened natural cherry flavor. Make no mistake: this product is candy, and it no longer has any similarity to the texture and flavor of an actual cherry.

I purchased this product to dress up our cocktails, but I don't really want to drop a lump of candy into my manhattans. However I didn't want to give up on this expensive product, so I've tried an experiment to try to salvage them: I've poured off most of the syrup from the bottle and topped it off with unsweetened brandy. I'll let it sit for a few days in the fridge, and then I'll check back to see if they're more palatable. I'm hoping the booze will temper the cloying sweetness of the product.

In the meantime, we've gone back to using our home-made cocktail cherries. They actually taste like cherries.

UPDATE April 18, 2013: BADA BING!!! I found a different brand cherry that I'm much happier with: "Bada Bing" cherries are large bing cherries, sold in a jar with a thin, sweet syrup.
The cherries are big and firm with the taste and texture of a real cherry. What's more, they still have stems on them so they really look like a cherry should. Again, I poured off about 3/4 of the syrup and replaced it with unsweetened brandy. The result is perfect. It makes an attractive, slightly sweetened, slightly boozy, cocktail cherry. Done! Just what I wanted! By the way, Amazon is charging more than EIGHT times the cost that my local liquor store charges for a jar of Bada Bing cherries. So you might want to shop elsewhere.

If you prefer a more candy-like texture, then the Luxardos are fine; we used them too after replacing most of the syrup with brandy. I'd also like to suggest that you try "Amarena Fabri", (packaged in a white ceramic jar). These are highly similar to the Luxardos, with the same attractive color and size and a similar rich syrup. I think they're slightly more cherry-like in texture. Really, they're practically the same product, but I preferred the Amarenas by slight margin to Luxardo. And I much prefer the Bada Bings over either of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CHERRIES, May 6, 2010
John A. Chiles "Two Coyote" (Port Townsend, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
They cost so much and they are so good. Upped the price of our Friday night old fashions, but worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Manhattans, Old Fashioneds, and other mixed drinks, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
Once you've tried these, you will never go back to using those bleached-and-dyed red cherries. For a Manhattan, use these cherries, a nice rye, and "Antica Formula" sweet (red) vermouth by Carpano - you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars delicious!, January 18, 2009
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
these cherries are fabulous. kick the red american ones out of the fridge and eat these instead. they're sweet, rich and flavorful. i wish i could eat these all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth it!, October 20, 2009
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
These cherries are absolutely amazing! They make the difference between an ok Old Fashioned or Manhattan, to the best you've ever had. Buy some. Now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable taste, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
Like nearly everyone I know, I grew up with the neon red cherries. They had a distinctive taste, and maybe the distinctive taste made me think they were good. Try these, and you'll understand what the other reviewers are raving about. Incredible, densely-flavored and delicious. They're expensive enough you'll probably save them for your special cocktails, but you'll be glad you did.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. Not Great., February 16, 2011
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
I enjoy a quality cocktail. Two. As you know, the finest ingredients make the most excellent drinks. Marachino cherries, key garnishes in a variety of cocktails, come in a variety of qualities. Most offer up a glisteningly red cherry, a little crushed, with plenty of sugary matrix.

The Luxardo cherries are similar, but have a much thicker, darker purple-black syrup, but the same crushed little cherry. I did not find the consistency or quality of the cherry itself to be of any lesser or greater quality than your average marachino cherry. The syrup, however, was less run-of-the-mill. It's not nearly as sweet and imparts some distinct cherry flavor. The syrup is drastically different from normal marachino cherry syrup, so be carefull with those old fashioneds and manhattans. I did enjoy a fine drizzle of it over a frothy bourbon sour (yum). It may do well as an expensive substitute and impart a change of hue to a cocktail or two. You'll find a fine use, i'm sure...

Worth the price? ummm...not on my salary (and consumption rate). I was expecting something impressive. These were not.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Real Thing, March 4, 2010
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
We have gotten into reviving old cocktail recipes, ie Manhattan, Old Fashioned, etc. Many of these call for maraschino cherries, which usually means the neon red plastic super sweet tasteless things in the jar at the supermarket. We ordered Luxardo cherries from Italy and WOW! These are the real thing. The cocktails are so much better. As usual, when you decide to make something yourself, always use the best ingredients. You will be rewarded when you taste the results. These cherries are great!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Thing (with apologies to Coke), May 8, 2014
Hedgman Dent Smith (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luxardo Gourmet Maraschino Cherries - 400g Jar
When you have had enough of the neon dyed awfulness passed off as Maraschino Cherries in America today, buy this. Will go better in your $50plus bottle of Bourbon too. Will order again.

Rate and Discover Movies