5.0 out of 5 stars Imagining oneself to be a wolf never sounded this good!, June 4, 2004
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
I can't believe I'm the first one to review this album! It's a crying shame more people have not heard this music or were not affected enough by it to take the time to say something to help spread the word about this album, as I certainly was. It's somewhat difficult to describe Wolf's unique sound, but try to imagine accordion, various string and wind instruments, ukelele, and other relatively traditional acoustic instruments being backed by some serious electronic beats and you'll have a fair impression of what you're in for. It may sound weird at first, but the union of such seemingly polar opposite sounds combined with Wolf's highly touching lyrics written between age 11 and 18 (!) and based on personal experiences works surprisingly well and provides for an original style of music unlike any I've heard to date (which is not to imply that there isn't already someone doing something similar, but simply that I haven't heard it yet). Wolf's singing voice and thick accent also help give the music an even more unique tone. I wish I could compare Wolf to other artists to help provide a point of reference, and I wish amazon would put up some samples for people to hear, but trust me, the risk in buying this album without hearing any of it beforehand (as I did) is well worth taking, and who knows, maybe the experience of listening to it will make you into a lycanthrope.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gypsy Rock in the Enchanted Jazz Lounge, September 29, 2004
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Patrick Wolf kind of looks like a run-away gypsy on the album cover. And I think that fits him perfectly. Wolf's debut album, Lycanthropy, certainly manifests such a fantastic image ...

Combining acoustic instruments with hints of electronica and his darringly deep voice, Patrick sings about the mental safe havens that we create for else and the constant transformations a person goes through. Stuck somewhere between child and adult, boy and wolf, tranquility and disruption, Patrick's ballads are awe-inspiring and almost spiritual. He calls out for the protection and spritual guidance of the wolves in "Wolf Song", escapes violent raids on his home in "To the Lighthouse", confronts a child molester in "The Childcatcher" and even equalizes the two genders in "Lycanthropy". Patrick is not your typical annoyingly love-sick singer/songwriter, but a masterful bard who documents his own personal journeys and transformations in the guise of werewolves and other childhood fantasies.

The music is again, nontraditional - sounds like a bunch of gyspies congregated with earthy fiddles, accordians and ukeles while allowing Bjork to mix it all up with some amazing back beats and vibes. The song "Bloodbeat" is a perfect example of the multiplicity of the album - while one can hear the dark tones of the lyrics and appreciate the acoustics, the mixing make it almost perfect for a hippie danceclub. If you are a fan of folk music, you'll appreciate the variety of instruments and the complexity of Patrick's lyrics.

I guess this is another gold star for the U.K.. If you're a fan of such underestimated British Bands like The Auteurs and Black Box Recorder, then you'll love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album of '04...so far., June 17, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Finding this album, was probably the best find of music I have made, since getting into the independent music scene. The previous reviewer could not put into words what type of music Patrick Wolf is producing, and I don't think I could do that either, but I can try and give you all an idea.
Patrick wolf implements electronics with organic instruments such as violin and ukelele, and pulls it off perfectly. If there was one artist I would compare him to, is Bjork, sounding similar to Bjork in the fact(s) that he has a very strong voice, and makes sounds uncommon to the human ear that sound very musical.
Buy this album. It doesn't get much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning musical creation from Wolf!, June 22, 2004
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
I had read a short review on albums, and one mentioned was this one. It had received 5 stars and intrigued me to look into it due to my interest in odd electronica styles of music. The moment I got it and began listening to it, I knew immediately that it deserved all 5 of those stars that it had originally received. Now I have the chance to pass on the wonderful glory of 5 stars in a review.
I agree with both of the previous reviewers in all their comments. It is truly a shame that more people don't know about Wolf, and now I will make a strong effort to educate people on his fascinating style. The musical creations that Wolf has formed by using many types of various unusual instruments is both soothing and relaxing yet also full of energy and has the ability to fulfill. His voice in all of the tracks fits perfectly and is strong yet emphatic. I can't accentuate enough how wonderful of a CD this is. All that I can say is to go out and pick up a copy now and listen to it yourself and you'll be able to understand why the rest of us agree that he is worth all 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartfelt music from an incredibly talented musician, March 17, 2006
Kunitz (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Patrick Wolf is, in my opinion, one of the most talented, imaginative, and original artists in today's world. He produced this album and "Wind in the Wires" almost completely on his own, and he plays all the multiple instruments featured--his collection includes piano, violin, accordian, viola, recorder, ukulele, guitar, organ, clavichord, and many other instruments, including electronic ones such as the theremin. As well, his songwriting is astounding; the lyrics are poetic and moving, with depth that is lacking in the music so many other contemporary artists make.

I recommend that everyone buy this album and listen to it carefully, repeatedly, to fully appreciate all the passion and intensity evident in Patrick Wolf's music. Then, I urge everyone to buy "Wind in the Wires", Patrick's stunning second album. His music will leave a definite impression, I can guarantee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter Pan Magic, December 11, 2008
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Enter a child's world where there is just as many shadows and evil do-ers as in the real world. However in Patrick Wolf's world the innocence is a painterly landscape full of poetry and flowing sounds.

It's easy to become seduced by the whimsical approach to the song-writing - the songs work at building a world which sounds as tiny and secure as a child's bed to the sounds of roaming wolves and the dark outside world!

This album - is incredible in it's breadth of sounds - it is so well produced and given so much light and shade in it's render.

Experience a pop experimenter who always seems painfully honest in every chord sung.

This album sounds like it was made by Kate Bush's youngest brother - inspiring and lyrical!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just plain original.., March 17, 2005
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
If you want me to describe this artist in one word I'd say original. This guy is only a bit over 20 years and already so talented. Mixing Electronica, Folk, Funk, Classic and so many other genres, it's simply amazing. It starts with some nice samples on the Prelude (howling wolves and stuff) and ends as nice as it started with Epilogue. If I had to pick 3 songs out of it, it would be London, Don't Say No and Bloodbeat. The only song I don't really like on it is Peter Pan, but besides that it's pure brilliance for a guy as young as this.

5.0 out of 5 stars but I'm glad that I gave the album a chance anyway, August 7, 2014
This review is from: Lycanthropy (MP3 Music)
This wasn't my first album by this artist--my third, I think--so I wasn't prepared for some of the content, specifically track 7, but I'm glad that I gave the album a chance anyway. This is a great list with songs that are both deep and unique in ways only Patrick Wolf could deliver. Very rich and strong; this isn't everyone's cup of tea. Perfect for a girl like me, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, February 27, 2013
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Fantastic album! I suggest buying a copy to support Patrick Wolf because he is amazing. His music just makes me so happy inside.

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's All In The Palm of Your Hand", January 19, 2011
This review is from: Lycanthropy (Audio CD)
Over seven years later, and the album still holds up. Patrick Wolf's music will never get old. You could hear a true progression from Lycanthropy to what's he doing now (new album is 'Lupercalia'), from the different styles he dabbled in, to a real growth in his vocals. Regardless of what song of his you listen to in his later albums, there is still some essence that could be traced back to Lycanthropy.

I'm so glad I stumbled upon his music by accident all those years ago. I've not looked back since. It gave me a wake-up call (in a way), and looking back now I can't believe I didn't discover his music sooner. And I can't believe all the crap music I've been listening to prior.

Lycanthropy
Lycanthropy by Patrick Wolf (Audio CD - 2003)
Rate and Discover Movies