5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating and clear, May 26, 2011
This review is from: Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition (Paperback)
I picked up this book to help me understand the way birth is currently viewed and treated in the US by getting some background information as to WHY some practices are the done way they are and how they came to be. This book was such a fascinating read and it was clean cut as to what went on without much opinion. I was trying to get away from opinion--I just wanted some simple history and facts that were backed up. The book did just that. I really, really recommend it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but can be repetitive, July 18, 2013
The book is an easy read with a lot of interesting and useful information on not only the history of childbirth but also the medical establishment as we know it. To think that the AMA was founded in order to push midwives from the birthing market so that doctors could gain a corner on the market.

Even though the book was interesting, the writer was a bit repetitive. I felt, at times, like I was listening to an old man speak who couldn't remember that he had just told me that very same thing 3 minutes ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great book about history of Childbirth in America..., June 4, 2013
Rose Hill "rosehill_32" (Nacogdoches, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
This book is a great read about the history of childbirth in America. Despite some weird references in the book about "magic" and "midwives" -- not really sure what the author was referring to --I felt like the book in general has a great review of the history of childbirth in America. Anyway, there is some biographical information about various people responsible for more natural birth ideals such as Read and Lamaze. So, this is a great book to learn from. Worth the cost of this book!

Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition
Lying-In: A History of Childbirth in America, Expanded Edition by Richard W. Wertz (Paperback - September 10, 1989)
$32.00 $30.40