5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for casting pewter
I have been using the Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace for casting lead free pewter. It is working great for my application. We are casting pewter in silicon rubber molds. This little furnace is an integral parts of our Table Foundry Program at the TechShops in California.
Published on November 17, 2011 by Earl Powell

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made
Wire connector inside control box shorted and burnt in two on third use. Unit inoperable and possible shock hazard. Item is not made in USA.
Amazon was nice enough to quickly replace the unit. So far the replacement is performing O.K.
Published 9 months ago by David

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for casting pewter, November 17, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace, August 17, 2013
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
Works realy good, heats up fast with a nice even heat. Good bang for the buck. I do recommend as long as you dont mind using a scooper to get the lead out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Casting Furnace, August 7, 2013
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
Bought this casting furnace typically used by gun users who make lead slugs for re-loads to save money. It melted five pounds of lead free pewter in fifteen minutes to maximum temperature which I assume is in the 666 deree range and I was able to pour my first project with amazing results and detail!! Not bad for an item under $40.00!

5.0 out of 5 stars good big dipper, April 27, 2013
Ann Thompson (Biddeford, ME USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
this pot was just what I needed for pewter casting classes with kids but I did need to make two small ladles from copper that would make it possible to sccop the molten metal when it was down to about an inch.

Very happy at the moment and hope that the heating element has a long life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Made, November 9, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, June 14, 2013
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
This product is terrible, does not heat up enough to get the lead hot enough to make a good bullet. easier to melt lead in a cast iron pan on your stove.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good first timer, March 23, 2013
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
Got this to get me started for bullet molds. So far no complaints. I'm sure I ran into obsticals that any other newb caster came across like temp and so on. There are simpler designed ones that you put your casting under and lift a handle that pours but this one need to manually ladle the lead. Works great for me!!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not generate enough heat to melt pure lead, June 28, 2013
John Shuster (Port Orchard, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
I just returned this to Amazon because I had it plugged in for over an hour at full temperature and it did not generate enough heat to melt pure soft lead. I am an experienced bullet caster for my muzzle loader black powder rifle. I have other Lyman products and they are all near perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good furance for the money, January 8, 2013
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
There is temperature control but there are no readings on what temperature each mark SHOULD be so a high temp thermometer or thermocouple is required.

It take a while to get up to temp, but once the material is liquified, it recovers and maintains well.

I give it a 4 star only because each mark should at least have a relative temperature indication.

A word of caution. I'm using this to pre-tin wires for cable assemblies. If anyone has the same application, don't melt down solder spools that you're not using. The flux will pool, burn off (LOTS OF SMOKE), then burn. Yes, the flux in my pot caught fire. I put it out by placing a piece of aluminum plate over the top to starve the flames. Use NEW material or avoid flux core solder.

1.0 out of 5 stars junk, June 25, 2014
This review is from: Lyman Big Dipper Casting Furnace (Sports)
terrible product this is the second one that has failed just after the warranty expired this is junk my lee melter lasted 5 years guess i'll get a lee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›