5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Lyme Treatment
Published on April 24, 2009 by Maryann V. Arrien

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't rely on it too much
While Singleton does an excellent job of describing the clinical symptoms and tests for Bb (the Lyme pathogen), as well as similar conditions due to common co-infections by Bartonella spp. and Babesia spp., he does a poor job of separating the wheat from the chaff when it comes to treatments, diet, and other adjuncts.

As an example, he recommends such things as...
Published on September 14, 2009 by M. Hagny

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book on Lyme Treatment, April 24, 2009
Maryann V. Arrien (Putnam Valley, NY, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
I actually bought this book from Amazon after reading about 100 reviews for it right here - but I see none of those reviews here anymore for some reason. Anyway, earlier this year I had read ALL the reviews for this book and many other books on Lyme treatment on Amazon and I concluded that was the best one to get. So I ordered it, and it was delivered in just a couple of days.

I started antibiotic treatment for neurological Lyme in December 2008 and this book has helped me tremendously. It turns out I have had Lyme since 1996, and I had not realized how it had insidiously stole my quality of life for a decade or so.

This book explained the symptoms of Lyme as well as symptoms of all the other co-infections like Babesia, Erlichia, Bartonella, etc. Then it even explained which antibiotics fight each co-infection! I really appreciated that. From reading the book, I realized I also probably had Babesia as well because of the symptoms at onset. I am on a medication for that, too which has really helped.

Also, crucial to the understanding of my present Lyme treatment, it explained which antibiotics attacked the three forms of Lyme: spirochete, L form, and cystic form. It was partially as a result of this knowledge that I decided to take on an additional regimen of Bicillin-LA IM injections which has accelerated my progress immensely. I may have been too scared to do the injections if I hadn't understood this important point about eventually attacking the three forms simultaneously. All the antibiotic explanations served to increase my confidence in my treatment because it also confirmed the use of other drugs to break up the cystic form, etc.

Lastly, this book really explained the true importance of taking the probiotics, because gut health is extremely important to be able to get the full benefit from the antibiotics and the immune system. Dr. Singleton's book outlined a "Lyme Inflammation Diet" which, while I didn't follow religiously, I have more or less adhered to, and it really mitigated my Herxheimer reactions. That diet is a bit similar to the famous Core Plan of the Weight Watchers diet, with special attention to certain beneficial spices often found in Indian food, which I love anyway. It explains other beneficial supplements and herbs, and while I have not got into many of them yet, it's good to have that as a reference when I get to that point.

If you think you have Lyme, and that you may have had it for a long time, I seriously counsel you to get this book, get a good 'Lyme Literate' doctor, and check out the new film about Lyme at [...] I think that this book and that film are your best bet in making the decision to get your health and your life back. There's a lot of resources in the back of the book too as well as on the internet that you can find.

I can't believe how many symptoms I had that I put down to 'normal aging.' If you live in an area that has high populations of ticks, this book should probably be in your local library in the interests of public health. There appears to be a revolution about how Lyme is treated, and this book by Dr. Ken Singelton is at the very heart of it.

If you can only afford one Lyme book right now, this would be the one to get.

Very sincerely,
Maryann Arrien
a resident of
Putnam Valley, NY

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lyme book worth reading, October 14, 2009
Review of "The Lyme Disease Solution", a book
by Kenneth B. Singleton M.D., M.P.H. (C) 2008.

To give a little background about where this reviewer (that's me) is coming from, I had Lyme in 2005 and was treated by a doctor at the Mayo Clinic. I wasn't entirely satisfied with the results because I had to argue with the doctor(s) about how long the treatment should last. After the treatment was over and I still didn't feel well, I read the "Healing Lyme" book by Stephen Harrod Buhner. Following Buhner's protocol for another 5 months, I finally felt better. In May of 2009, I was bitten by another deer tick and began experiencing symptoms of Lyme again. A different doctor in a different state gave me a 2 week prescription for doxycycline -- even after I argued that 2 weeks wasn't enough. I was feeling better after 2 weeks, but not cured. Naturally the symptoms got worse again after the 2 week prescription ran out.

I wish I had had "The Lyme Disease Solution" book by Kenneth B. Singleton M.D. when dealing with the doctors on both occasions.

First of all, Dr. Singleton has had Lyme himself and knows what people like me have been going through in dealing with doctors. Secondly, he is an M.D. himself, so what he has written carries more weight than Buhner with the medical establishment. Nevertheless, Singleton acknowledges Buhner's work and refers the reader to Buhner's book.

Yes, as someone else pointed out in a separate review, Singleton does repeat himself a lot, but that's mostly due to the style and format of the book where each chapter often contains an introductory paragraph saying what will be covered in that chapter, followed by the details of that chapter, followed by a summary of what was covered in that chapter. I could have done without the trailing summary, but that's just my opinion.

The best part is that most of the book not only fully describes the symptoms of Lyme, the problems with diagnosis, and the problems with treatment, but also goes into detail about each of several currently established allopathic treatments for Lyme, explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Then it goes into detail about many alternative treatments, explaining in detail why and how it works. It even suggests dosage and, in some cases, how to select a supplement that is more effective than others.

I've been using several of the alternative treatments and I've noticed a definite improvement over the last 3 weeks. I wanted to defer giving this review until I could see if his recommendations did indeed make a difference. I'm not out of the woods yet by a long shot -- pun intended -- but I feel that I'm on a path to a more complete recovery. And yes, I'll see another doctor who will probably run the same old defective and worthless tests that will falsely indicate that I no longer have Lyme. But this time I'll have the tick that bit me in a baggie, a photograph of my bulls-eye rash, and this book by an M.D. to educate the doctor that I see.

Wish me luck. No wait! Better yet, wish that I find one of those "Lyme Literate Doctors" that Singleton writes about.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book of its kind, February 27, 2008
Lyme disease in one of the most pernicious health conditions and is far more pervasive than most people realize. In The Lyme Disease Solution, Dr Singleton has created the best and most comprehensive resource on the subject that I have ever read. This is a "must-read" book that needs to be in the homes of every person who suffers from Lyme and other tick-borne diseases, as well as all people who are experiencing chronic and debilitating syptoms that their doctors aren't able to help them with. Chances are good that such people may have undiagnosed Lyme disease and this book explains why. More importantly, it also provides you with the information and medical advice you need to restore your health.

As a someone who suffered with undiagnosed Lyme disease for many years and then discovered how to heal himself, it is obvious on every page of this book that Dr. Singleton knows what he is talking about. The medical advice he shares, along with a wealth of self-care solutions, will empower all who read this book to dramatically improve their health over time, just as it has the many chronic Lyme patients that Dr. Singleton sees in his practice.

Moreover, this book is essential reading for anyone suffering from chronic low-grade inflammation (potentially the majority of all Americans due to the standard American diet and other factors), which is now known to be a primary risk factor for a wide variety of diseases, including arthritis, heart disease and cancer. The information Dr. Singleton provides on how to prevent and reverse chronic inflammation, including his proprietary Lyme Inflammation Diet program is by itself well-worth the price of this book.

It is for these reasons that I give The Lyme Disease Solution my highest recommendation.

Larry Trivieri, editor/co-author Alternative Medicine: The Definitive Guide, co-author Chronic Fatigue, Fibromyalgia & Lyme Disease

5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing book...a MUST have!!, December 4, 2009
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
I thought I had to live with fibromyalgia the rest of my life until I read this book. This book has been a godsend for me. If I could give it 10 stars, I would!!

Dr Singleton clearly explains what I have been going through for the past six years, and gave me more answers that the dozen or so doctors I have seen since my health began to go downhill. I have had Lyme tests performed 3 or 4 times, always negative. Page 87 points out that " the most commonly used diagnostic screening tests for Lyme can often yield unreliable results.....with up to one third of cases of the infection being missed due to a high rate of `false negative' results." Reading Dr Singleton's book pointed me to the Lyme tests that are actually effectual, (see page 104) and those lab results returned positive. Did you know that only 50% of people who have Lyme ever have the characteristic bull's eye rash (p7)? Finally having a diagnosis was a first big step!

In his book, The Lyme Disease Solution, Dr Singleton explains Lyme disease and the body's reaction to it in a very thorough but understandable way. This is important since understanding the disease has really helped me a lot. Chapter 5 on nutrition and specifically Dr. Singleton's "Lyme Inflammation Diet", has been very important, in terms of understanding which foods can exacerbate Lyme symptoms and to therefore avoid.

I shared the information in this book with my doctor, who then figured out what the best therapy for me would be. The section on the use of low-dose Naltrexone essentially gave me my life back. After about four weeks on LDN, the dulling, debilitating, fog-brain had lifted and I began to feel like myself again. BTW, the resources section at the back of the book is invaluable, as it lists the few specific labs where LDN can be obtained (by prescription).

After 2 months on LDN which I still continue, I am now following a course of multiple antibiotics, and because I keep a journal (Dr. Singleton's recommendation), it is easy to see the days of Herxing (pg 251-3) and the days of feeling *great*. On the great days, I can honestly say that I feel better than I have in more than seven years. Some days my hands are almost without pain at all. Since I am an artist, using my hands is very important. I am not out of the woods yet, but I have hope that I can live a normal life again.

If you think you might have Lyme and want to know what to do about it, then I urge you to read and re-read Dr. Singleton's book. Share it with your own doctor. If he or she is not `Lyme Aware', then refer to page 24, and the resources in the back of the book to find one who is.

And while you're at it, write your senator and congressmen. Tell them people don't need to `learn to live' with Lyme disease and its co-infections, Ehrlichia and Babesia. Sufferers of Lyme do NOT have to settle for a life of steroids, loss of work, loss of capacity and general misery. We do need more research into better testing and Lyme's co-infections.

Dr. Ken Singleton has given those of us with Lyme disease a clear, intelligent analysis of the problem, how to diagnose it and outlines for course of treatment and management. I am well on the road to recovery and am so very grateful for this informative, practical book....it has truly been life changing for me! Thank you, Dr. Singleton, for writing and laboring over this book. I hope many others will take advantage of the sage, clinical advise found here and experience healing, as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book if you think you might have Lyme, December 3, 2009
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
From 1988 to 1997 when he worked in charity clinics serving the poor and homeless, Ken Singleton earned a reputation as one of the best trained (He studied Preventive Medicine at Johns Hopkins and is board certified in Internal Medicine) and caring physicians in Washington D.C. While this book was written to the lay audience, it was extremely helpful to me as a full time clinical research physician. As a researcher, I read everything with a critical eye, and that is how I read his book. From what I have come to know about Lyme disease politics and science, there is so much that has yet to be rigorously tested, and so many unknowns that I can truly appreciate Dr. Singleton's book. His academic background has allowed him to make very reasonable recommendations based on what is known today about Lyme disease treatment. He has produced a book with easy to understand summaries that will benefit many non-medical people, but those of us with a medical background will also get a good review. If you want the definitive treatise on treating Lyme disease, you will clearly have to wait for a generation of research scientists to provide the critical missing data. However, if you want answers from a highly qualified and experienced doctor who has synthesized what is known today about Lyme treatment, buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderfully informative book offering hope and guidance., December 2, 2009
Sara Lee "Sara" (Lovettsville, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
A dear sweet friend sent me this book after learning that I thought I was suffering with Lyme Disease. It has been eleven years since my symptoms began. Through those years I have been very unsuccessful in learning much about this disease. As I began reading this book, everything began to fall into place. I read it cover to cover in about 3 days. The book gives a very simple, but educational definition of the disease along with the various types of treatments and most importantly what the patient can do for themselves. Just being able to understand that you can help yourself by improving your diet, sleep and exercise routine is very empowering. There are both natural and traditional medical methods recommended for one's treatment as well. Did I mention that the book also teaches you about co-infections which are associated with the disease? As soon as I finished the book, I emailed my friends who are struggling with Lyme. This is a "must read" for anyone concerned with the possibility of having Lyme Disease. ~Sara W.

5.0 out of 5 stars The LYME SOLUTION, September 15, 2008
I bought this book as a prescription from a MD, who is treating my Daughter. After eight years of suffering fom a mystery disease, and being diagnosed with everything from Lupus to Fibromyalgia, to MS, Addisons or a thyroid tumor she has been diagnosed with Lyme and other related tick borne diseases
There were several medical practitioners who accused her of "Drug Seeking," and others who put her on pain patches that rendered her almost unconscious for most of the day.
All and all, whatever she had contracted, had stolen her life before she was forty.
I have found during my research on the internet that this is a common story for those who have contracted Lyme and related tick borne diseases.
The MD who prescribed this book has Lyme himself and applies the routine proposed in it to his own case. Although I have only skimmed the text, my Daughter has nearly memorized it. She has hope for the first time in many years that the program in the book will benefit her and others who suffer from Lyme

5.0 out of 5 stars Most Valuable Lyme Disease Book for My Patients, December 13, 2009
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
As a human energy expert working with a wide variety of patients with back pain, joint pain, headaches, general fatigue, chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia, I have discovered that many of my patients with these conditions are actually suffering from Lyme Disease. That is why I was so pleased to find this book by Dr. Kenneth Singleton.

This book is a great introduction to one of the most pervasive disease conditions that is affecting a very large population in this country. It is one of the hidden health conditions that is responsible for tremendous fatigue and loss of productivity. Dr. Singleton's book is also a great resource for those seeking additional information as well as constructive action steps to a cure. It is also a good way to get your current doctor to consider alternative treatments.

In this book, Dr Singleton illustrates the various shortcomings of traditional medical screening tests that often miss Lyme Disease. He clearly points out that many cases of Lyme simply fail to be recognized due to `false negative' test results. With the more sensitive lab tests, patients can benefit from obtaining a far clearer picture of their actual condition. Proper diagnosis is always the key to effective treatment.

I particularly like Dr Singleton's "Lyme Inflammation Diet" which parallels the type of nutritional advice that I give my patients for both their acute and chronic musculoskeletal inflammatory conditions. Elimination of food that stress the systems of the body is a wonderful addition to traditional treatment regimens. Dr. Singleton also presents a very thorough list of nutritional supplements that may reduce a patient's symptoms while helping to increase their energy. He clearly has a truly integrated approach to the practice of medicine.

Dr. Singleton's use of low-dose Naltrexone (LDN) is a valuable treatment alternative to more traditional Lyme Disease courses of care. Patients frequently report a fairly rapid reduction of brain fog and increased energy. It's that increase in energy that particularly impresses me, particularly when fatigue is so rampant in our society today.

I have recommended Dr. Singleton's book to many of my patients and have even gifted a copy now and then. For those of you who may be suffering from unexplained chronic fatigue or a vague constellation of symptoms, I would highly recommend that you obtain a copy of this book and read it. Better yet, if you know of someone who might be suffering from chronic fatigue, consider giving it to them as a gift. Dr. Singleton's book provides clear explanations of the problem and concise action steps that you can take to reclaim your healthy life. I am very pleased to have found this valuable resource.

Dr. Christopher S. Vogelmann
Human Energy Expert, Author, Chiropractor and Nutritionist

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Resource on Lyme's, May 7, 2009
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
I've been suffering from Lyme's disease for about 1 year now. It took the best hospital and doctors 2 months to do every test in the world, EKG,MRI,EMG,Blood Tests, Spinal Taps, Thyroid Check,blood work and ruled out every disease that I didn't have: ALS, MS, Malaria, West Nile Virus. I was told I had post virul infectious disease syndrome that is untreatable and should go away within 6 months. Well the docs were wrong because I continued to debilitate by the week. I did research on line and by reading books offered on Amazon. It took a Lyme specialist and a clinical diagnosis to find out I have Lyme's disease and began my treatment with antibiotics. I'm out of a wheel chair now, I can drive and work again after being set back for 4 or more months. I'm still tired and fighting the symptoms through strong antibiotics that are slowly killing off Lymes. It is still a long road for me as I suffer from Fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue with the Lyme. This book helped me to better understand all that I'm going through and that its possible to get "herx" or flare ups of feeling worse before you get better that last from a week to months. It was also helpful to learn how your diet and other natural things can compliment the antibiotics for a faster cure. The CDC does not seem to be paying attention to people with Lymes (20,000 confirmed new cases a year). That's much worse than the Swine Flu and look at the publicity it gets. Thank you to the author for putting this book together for people like me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Lyme Disease Book!, October 26, 2009
This review is from: The Lyme Disease Solution (Paperback)
Since purchasing Dr. Singleton's Lyme Disease Solution, I have read and re-read it and used it numerous times as a handy reference. I also bought a copy for my primary care physician and several friends. As a matter of fact, my copy is on loan right now to a friend who recently got a "bull's eye" rash. As one who has suffered with Lyme disease, bartonella, and babesiosis for over five years, I am finally on the home stretch to recovery because I am applying Dr. Singleton's multi-faceted approach to healing under his direct care and supervision. In his book, Dr. Singleton thoroughly describes/defines lyme disease, tick bite prevention, lyme disease testing, and a summary of common co-infections, He then tackles treatment from all aspects: antibiotic therapy, nutritional/dietary guidelines, vitamin/mineral/herbal supplimentation, alternative therapies, etc. He also includes details on spiritual/emotional attitudes that help to develop the perseverence, patience, and discipline necessary to beat a disease that can be long lasting for many, like me. The real solution for healing of Lyme Disease and related infections, I believe whole-heartedly, is only possible with Dr. Singleton's approach. It takes diligence to apply his solutions, but they work! Most other approaches represent only part of the picture and are incomplete. With so much conflicting information regarding Lyme Disease and the complexity of treating this illness, I truly hope that my real life experience will testify to the value of this book.

The Lyme Disease Solution
The Lyme Disease Solution by Kenneth B. Singleton (Paperback - February 1, 2008)
$29.95 $23.21