Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 12, 2002
To my mind, Lynyrd Skynyrd was and is one of the great southern bands of all time, not to mention one of the great American bands of all time.
"All Time Greatest Hits" is proof of this band's lasting legacy, tragically ended in a 1977 plane crash that killed lead singer Ronnie Van Zant, whose awesome voice was matched only by his songwriting genius; third guitarist Steve Gaines, whose addition to the band added zest and maturity; his sister Cassie, who sang background; and original tour manager Dean Kilpatrick. What an infinite loss for the music world, and how lucky we are to be able to listen to the music they left behind.
Because this collection is the band's greatest hits, all are familiar and well-loved, from "Sweet Home Alabama" to "What's Your Name" to "Free Bird," a magnificent live version that simply tears your heart out. But I love "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe," which Van Zant wrote with Allen Collins, an ode to the unsung heroes of the blues; and "Comin' Home," haunting in retrospect.
Really, I cannot say enough about this band and their music, and I recommend this collection to fans of the band as well as those whose only connection to their hits is "Sweet Home Alabama."
22 comments|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 31, 2000
Obviously, since this does indeed have many of Skynyrd's best songs on it, it is going to be a good album. However, it is not the best Skynyrd "best of" album that you can find. It could've been a lot better. For instance, Tuesday's Gone, my all-time favorite LS track isn't on this disc at all! Neither is the studio version of Freebird! To have a Skynyrd disc that is missing those two songs and to call it "All Time Greatest Hits" is blasphemy! Get The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd instead.
on March 30, 2011

11. You Got That Right
12. All I Can Do Is Write About It
13. That Smell
14. Free Bird (live)
22 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2005
Whenever any band produces a 'greatest hits' album they run the risk of eliminating sales of many of their earlier releases. With this 'greatest hits' I think many of the tracks chosen are really not the best of those particular songs. If you're looking for a great live "Free Bird," it's not here! The positive aspects of this release are the great cross-section of songs chosen, and not the particular rendition. One of the things that sets a band like Lynyrd Skynyrd apart from the rest of the Southern Rock crowd is their musical and lyrical integrity. Tracks that really shine are, "Simple Man," "That Smell" and "Saturday Night Special". This band went way out on a limb with their anti hand-gun track "Saturday Night Special." This song was released at a time when the NRA and the gun lobby enjoyed almost unparalleled influence within the halls of Congress. I think that your money might be better spent by shelling out a couple of bucks more for the 'The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd' a two-CD set. This set has all the same releases as the 'greatest hits' yet there are almost twice as many tracks for a few dollars more. Many would say the reason why this band was so popular in the seventies; was that they played live and sounded decent, although sometimes fairly raw, when live too. In that vein, you might also want to consider a live release as the best way to really hear what the band could do with their studio material. My pick for the live album would be; "One More from the Road". What makes a choice like this extremely hard is the fact that this band is probably the most over-produced and over-released band in the Southern Rock genre. Amazon alone has over (80) releases listed for sale. Which amounts to a whole lot of redundancy for a band with about (45) songs! Unfortunately, none of the original 1970's releases are still offered here on Amazon as un-remastered original vinyl recordings on CD. If by some chance you have an opportunity to hear this band from a still-good vinyl release, by all means get it to a good sound system and crank it up. But alas, all that may be left is a good bunch of Rice Krispies from vinyl these days? At least with the way we used to treat our records in the 1970's!
22 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2001
(...) Some of Synyrd's greatest tunes-how can you go wrong? This isn't little kid college punk alterna-trash. These are incredibly talented American musicians that sing about more than the current, "I am so depressed/angry/morose/fill in the blank with whining." Beautiful blues based rock n roll for people with actual taste. Buy it!
on December 18, 2006
This CD is all you really need from Lynyrd Skynrd. It contains 14 of their greatest songs and each one is a classic. There are no fillers on this album. It's filled with hit after hit of some of the best southern rock ever recorded. All of the songs are classics as I said but one song that I'm happy that they included in this collection is "All I Can Do Is Write About It" (acoustic version). This is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. The words are simple and yet deeply moving and powerful. Listen to this song carefully and it will touch your heart like it did mine. The CD opens with what is probably one of the most famous songs in the classic rock pantheon "Sweet Home Alabama". This one is considered to be a rock n'roll anthem and I completely agree. Overall this is an album that every fan of classic rock should not be without. This is Lynyrd Skynyrd at their very best and beyond.
on October 24, 2015
I was driving around America with my Uncle Clayton. I went to Sturgis motorcycle rally in South Decoda. We stayed at a friend's place, who was playing this CD and got us hooked. He instantly went straight to Amazon and bought it for me. This is what we listened to the whole trip, along with Toby Keith, Mary Wells, Joe South and this CD, the road trips to the towns and places we were staying went quick. this is great driving music. these guies were also playing in Sturgis and next year when I go, I'm going to see them, playing songs such as "Sweet HOme Alabama", "Ballad of Curtis Low", "Swamp music", "Simple Man", which is Clayton's favourite Lynyrd Skynyrd track. Skynyrd in Clayton's opinion are really great musicians, who play their music to perfection. I agree with him too. this CD brought us hours of enjoyment on our trip and has a really good song selection. the only song I wish was included was Ï know a little"which was my girlfriend's favourite from Minisoda. "Skynrd are really great and I highly recommend this CD to Skynyrd fans. thank you Mike from Sturgis for getting me hooked on this great band.
on January 21, 2014
I remember quite a few of these songs from listening to AM radio as we drove across the country back in the 1970s, so I went for the purchase. The recordings sound like they are converted from original analog master recordings which is fine as that was the medium back when these songs came out. This is a great band, and I don't think anyone will be disappointed at the line up. Their big hits that I remember are all here as well as some oldies that I forgot about but enjoy hearing again. If you like southern-fried rock, this is a band you won't want to miss. They were making records when the genre began.
on December 14, 2015
One of the most prolific bands I have been Blessed to have had in my **lifetyme. And was also very much Blessed to have been able to see the "original" band several tymes in my younger years. (I was even invited backstage by Ronnie during my 1st gig with them!) And as I am friends with the remaining members, and Gene Odom~their head of security, and RVZ's best frynd, is a very dear and close frynd of mine.:)
WELL worth the price offered here at Amazon! (Thank You Amazon for this offering!)
( ** Those familiar with LS will understand the spelling of the words with the letter "y" substituted for the letter "I"....!!!! ;) )
I also very much recommend this collection of, just plain~great,incredibly well written, played and non mainstream tunes! So give a listen~especially if y'all have never heard of,~or have only heard the "main" hit tunes, know that there is always ring of truth, along with RVZ's real lifetyme experiences in each tune. RVZ=Ronnie Van Zant, was an incredible song writer, and leader of this great band. There will never be another Lynyrd Skynyrd, and,again, I do feel so very Blessed to have seen them~the original band,~and it took me 26 years to allow myself to see them again after that fateful day that we lost some members, and having the surviving members deciding to continue on, as RVZ would have wanted it that way. And being friends with the remaining members~although most have passed....and their family members is a true and wonderful gift.
Enjoy! (And I am sure this will end up in your top 5-10 favorites!) :D
on June 25, 2002
Lynyrd Skynyrd is a southern rock group that is not only one of the best in this sub-genre of rock, but one of the best rock groups of all time. People can relate with every song on this CD as they are about humans and are simply beautiful. There are not many CD's that I own that are so great. This CD is comprised of 14 of Lynyrd Skynyrd's greatest hits and this CD is a great example of how all band compilations should be put together.
Every rock fan has heard of the first track, "Sweet Home Alabama." This song is very upbeat and will be sure to entertain.
"Gimme Three Steps" is another upbeat song that is fun to listen to. When you listen to this song you will want to get up and start dancing as this is such a feel good song.
Track three, "Simple Man," is one of Skynyrd's most beautiful songs. This is a narrative about an everyday man, just as the title implies.
When you listen to "Saturday Night Special" you'll really be rocking along and singing the words. This is a song with lots of instrumentals; great for a fan of more than just lyrics.
"Swamp Music" is a very fun song that everyboddy will enjoy.
The sixth song is "The Ballad of Curtis Lowe," a song that relays a story of Southern America.
You'll be up and singing all of the lyrics to "Call me the Breeze," another upbeat song by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
"Comin' Home" is yet another one of the great band's classics.
"Gimme Back My Bullets" is an awesome song that will leave you wanting to hear more of the excellent instrumentals.
The tenth song on this compact disc is "What's Your Name," is a popular song by the band that will be enjoyed by all ages.
Tracks eleven and twelve, titled "You Got that Right" and "All I Can Do is Write About it" are very entertaining but are not among my favorites on the CD.
"That Smell" is definitely one of my favorites on the CD and will be enjoyed.
The last song, which is a live recording, is "Free Bird," my favorite song on the CD. Everyone knows this song and it is one of the most beautiful songs that were ever recorded.
"The All Time Greatest Hits of Lynyrd Skynyrd" is one of the best CD's that I own and should be in every rock fan's collection. I just had one minor qualm with the CD, though. I was disappointed that "Tuesday's Gone," one of the band's very best, was not on the CD. That's okay, though, as there are other CD's with the song on it. Every song on this CD will be enjoyed immensely as the songs are great and the instrumentals are absolutely superb. The recordings of the tracks are wonderful as well. This is a CD that I will listen to over and over again.
Happy Listening!