Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Lyra Basic Face Painting Pencils, 6-Pack
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM

on April 21, 2012
Just wanted to warn parents who think they are buying a clean non toxic product. It is far from that. I purchased these because I saw them on the nova naturals website, and so assumed that they were safe since they say that they are made with palm oil, and are non toxic. I didn't question these, and purchased them. The fact that they are made in Germany for whatever reason made me feel good about their safety. When I received them, here is the ingredient list (that they conveniently don't place online in the description of product):

hydrogenated palm kernel, kaolin, hydro-genated palm glycerides, mica, glyceryl stearate, PEG-40 stearate, cera microsristallina, sodium stearate. May contain (gotta love that, they are not sure what their own product contains?): C1 42090/FD&C Blue No.1, AL-Lake, D&C Red No. 27, Aluminum powder, Yellow No.5, Blue No.1, Red No.27, ultramarine blue, Iron oxide, feric ammonium ferrocyanide, manganese violet, titanium dioxide.

I know I'm buying face paint, so good luck finding petroleum free paraben free stuff. But, it turns out that if you go to the skin deep database, you can find just that. I should have looked there first. So, I'm returning this product, and I'm going with the Elegant Mineral Non-Toxic face paint. If you check out their product, it scores a 3 on EWG's website Skin Deep, and you can even customize your kit to get just the colors you need. It really has no petroleum in it, and its even made with organic ingredients. I'm excited to get my order so that I can start allowing my child to use face paints and have fun with dressing up.

Hope this helps!
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2013
These pencils were recommended to me as non-toxic and safe. I went the Environmental Working Group's excellent and informative website, Skin Deep, and searched each of the ingredients Tina listed in her review. All were fine, until I got to Aluminum powder, which Skin Deep rates as 4-9 (which means moderate to high hazard, depending on how you use it). Since 10 is their worst rating, I figure 9 is pretty bad! And I don't want my kids to be exposed to something that might hurt them. It's horrible that these are marketed as safe!
on July 23, 2010
I bought these pencils because my first grader planned to do face-painting at school. The pencils are much easier to use than the traditional paint with brush, and not at all messy.

On the downside, the drawings don't last long. The kids in my daughter's class had all accidentally rubbed off their artwork before the end of the day. Also, the pencils are thick and difficult to use for detailed work.

Overall, a good thing for a mom to have in her bag of tricks, but won't replace face paint with a brush.