Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: M-51 Engineers Field Bag - Military Style - Olive Drab
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Color: Olive Drab|Change

on January 19, 2008
Rather than review how much I like the bag (the 5 stars should be an indicator), I thought I'd give some information about the pocket/pouch arrangement I couldn't find before I purchased. Information I think will perhaps be helpful to others looking at this product.

The bag has a zipper pocket on the front flap that can be used to store very thin items such as papers. I don't use it a great deal except when I need to simply stuff something into the bag quickly without opening the main compartment. Opening the bag there is another pouch on the inside of the flap that has a transparent plastic lining. This is also best for very thin articles such as papers. I've found this pouch excellent for contact lists (work related) because I can find information such as phone numbers or e-mail addresses at a glance.

The main body of the bag has one medium sized velcro pouch that is quite sturdy and that I use to store my flash drives and address book (perfect fit for this pouch). Above this there are two smaller pouches, one of which is also velcro and perfect for smaller items such as business cards and PDAs. The second is a series of pen/pencil slots (which are great) with a small storage area in the back for loose items. I haven't found much use for this small storage area however, as it has no velcro and I worry somewhat about items falling out.

Behind these pouches is the main body of the bag, which is surprisingly spacious. At any given time I'm usually carrying around about three folders, a half inch or so of paperwork, two notepads, two books, my wrist brace, and some Netflix movies. On a bit of a side note, part of the reason I chose this bag over others of the type is I hoped it would have a bit more structure in that I wouldn't have to worry about loose papers getting crushed and wrinkled in the bag. It definitely keeps things tidy. This is in large part due to the main compartment having a very thin divider that you can slide loose papers into that will hold them snugly. Also, the entire bag has a rigid back (semi-hard plastic) so it keeps shape and remains comfortable to wear.

One side of the bag has a small velcro pouch that seems pretty ideally sized for things like lighters, matches, etc. The other side has a somewhat taller pouch that I use to keep a small flashlight. There are also some very thin pouches on the sides above the two I described, but I've never found a use for them personally. A final note on the side pouches is that you can get into them easily even while wearing the bag.

Lastly, the back of the bag even zips open to reveal a bay of slots that seem designed for tools (this is modeled after an engineer's bag don't forget), and another space on the back flap with a rigid back that is ideal for keeping loose papers organized. I haven't used this back pouch yet as I've not even filled up the front and I imagine it's very hard to get into while wearing the bag.

In short, the bag has a space, pouch, slot, or compartment for pretty much anything; and it's great for keeping your items both organized and protected.
44 comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 3, 2011
I bought this bag for my school books and absolutely loved it until the buckle popped off after only two days of using it. The carrying straps are attached to the top cover that buckles down and not to the sides of the bag. This causes the weight of the bag to be put on the buckle and not the bag itself. Don't expect this bag to hold the weight of three paperback college textbooks (two small and one regular sized) and a pad of paper without having problems with the buckle. If it didn't have this problem then I would still be in love with all the pockets and places to organize my things.
11 comment| 108 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2010
I have had briefcases, backpacks, messenger bags and sling bags. This bag kicks the crap out of all of them. It has sewn in pockets for more than 10 pens/pencils. Pockets on the side for tape measure (I keep my iPod charger and cord there) and cell phone and pockets in the back flap for more tools and pens. I can carry a couple of notebooks, magazines, a book and it will still fit a full-sized laptop. Recently, I took a trip and all of my gadgets and travel documents were very easy to reach and put away. I would not trade this for anything else!
on June 19, 2011
The bag looked great on the site and I bought it as a gift for my husband. He used it once and the strap broke in such a way that it could not be fixed without a heavy duty sewing needle on my machine (which I don't have). He was only carrying his laptop in the bag. The area where the strap attached was pooly sewn and tore right off. His laptop hit the ground. Too bad, because it's a nicely designed bag, but very poorly constructed.
on December 25, 2010
I purchased this bag a year ago, to use as a work bag, for carrying my laptop, personal papers, books etc. The bag is great. Another reviewer gives a detailed explanation of the different pouches and pockets, and there is somewhere to tuck just about anything. The bag has a nice, but casual look to it, much more casual than a brief case, but more professional looking that a backpack. The bag was used on a daily basis, being carried (I use public transportation to get to and from work). Little things started to deteriorate quite soon after I purchased it. Within a few months the piping along the edges was coming unstitched and/or wearing right through. The handle along the top, pulled off. I have owned it for a year now, and have made quite a few repairs to it, but it is to the point where it can't really be repaired anymore. The design is great, the quality is really lacking.
on October 6, 2011
You may notice some of the reviews for this bag which claim that the strap broke shortly after purchase like I did. I'm writing this review in order to tell everyone out there not to ignore those reviews like I did.

I purchased this bag for my big weekend at Dragon*Con. I was initially pleased with the bag as it's many pockets and pouches held everything I wanted them to with room to spare. Two Nintendo DSs, 3 decks of Magic:tG cards, one netbook, a plethora of pens and pencils, a journal, sketch pad, and notebook.

The bag performed admirably the first day. By day two the stitching near the handle strap connection started to fray and by Sunday both sides of the strap had ripped off and I'd clipped it to the handle just to get by but even that ripped by the end of the day.

This is not a military surplus bag, it's not the bag the military uses, it's not even a replica of the bag the military uses, and it is certainly not an engineer's bag. Unless of course you're an engineer who's supplies consist of feathers, tissue paper and bubble wrap.

Don't ignore the negative reviews and don't buy this bag.
on May 10, 2011
The bag is nice, heavy fabric, lots of pockets, nice strap, I'd have given it 5 stars, IF the twist closure hadn't pulled off the first time my son used it! The twist part is held onto the bag by two VERY flimsy metal prongs that go through the fabric and a reinforcement piece below, and are then bent over. But I could bend these prongs with my fingers! I'm looking for some way to fix this, as otherwise, the bag is great.
on June 14, 2010
I am enjoying the bag quite a bit. It was larger that I was expecting, but not too large. (Review the dimensions again, trust me) It is quite sturdy and will stand up on its own--which is handy. I've had other bags in the past that look great but aren't very sturdy and that becomes inconvenient. The bag has been a hit with my guy friends as well and 2 of them have ordered it for themselves. It has lots of space for pens, pencils, keys, cell phone, files, etc. I don't see myself changing from it soon.
on February 19, 2010
Great bag, it replaced a bulky laptop bag. It has enough pockets and pouches to store about anything, from pens to chargers for my gadgets. I'm able to hold several books, a magazine, some dvds, or my 13 computer nicely in the main compartment. The back zipper compartment is great for misc chargers, and things. The front zipper area is good for the quick storage of a letter or paper. Overall, very happy with the bag.
review image review image review image review image
on September 11, 2010
As a Texas Master Naturalist in East Texas, I'm often tramping through forests and woodlands and this bag is perfect for carrying books, small binocs, camera, etc. I use it a lot and it gets thrown in the back of my truck or on the ground but it's held up well. The ONLY negative I have is that the two side pockets on the outside of the bag are pretty usesless. They aren't large enough for a bottle of water and anything you may put in them could easily fall out. That said, I love this bag; it's exactly what I needed.