5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - For Real
Installed fine on 64-bit Windows 7 Home. The CD had the latest drivers and the Axiom came right up. Reason 4's auto-detect wouldn't pick up the Axiom but the manual Add surface dialog did. Sonar 8.5, Sibelius 6, and Kontakt 4 saw the Axiom right away.

Published on April 19, 2011 by frankp93

1.0 out of 5 stars USB broke quickly. cheaply made
Published on December 4, 2011 by Heather Krisman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Plug and Play - For Real, April 19, 2011
frankp93 "frankp93" (Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: M-Audio Axiom 61 61-Key USB MIDI Keyboard Controller with Semi-Weighted Keys and Assignable Control Surface (Electronics)

Tip: If you're replacing a currently configured control surface, remove it from your software first while still connected before installing the Axiom. You don't have to do this but some applications deal with the suddenly missing surface more gracefully than others.

I was curious enough about the Axiom's semi-weighted keys to first seek out a music store (remember those?) and get my hands on one. Compared to my trusty but aging Alesis QS8 with fully weighted action, the Axiom's keys have a similar shape and response - with considerably less weight of course. They certainly feel more like piano keys than my previous MIDI controller - an ancient Casio CZ-1000 from the early 80's. Oddly, I think the Casio's full-sized synth-style keys actually have more resistence than the Axiom (they didn't call it semi-weighted in those days when DX7's were the synth benchmark). The Casio is a sentimental favorite but I couldn't continue with 47 keys, no velocity, and no easy way to shift octaves. I don't have room for my Alesis 88-key (and its weight would probably crush my computer table) so the 61-key Axiom is a good fit that brings me into the 21th century.

The Axiom documentation comes on the CD and assumes you're knowledgable about MIDI ports, channels, and messages. But you can use the Axion as a straight controller without any of the DirectLink functionality. Most of what you'll need to know is in the context of your particular software, rather than the controller itself.

The Axiom's sliders have a smooth action and nice resistance to them, as do the pitch and mod wheels. I'm using the controller for desktop work, notation input, and recording rather than live playing. The workmanship is very clean and the unit feels solid. I prefer the darker look of this second gen Axiom Advanced to the silver Axiom Pro. I tried both and I also the prefer the sliders and knobs. I just never liked that silver color scheme since I first saw the Korg Triton - always reminded me of old boom boxes.

The Axiom works fine on USB power. It has a jack but doesn't include a power adapter if you want to use it without a computer as an old-school MIDI controller, driving a sound module or another synth - the way I used my Casio for years. It's even got full-size DIN jacks for those old MIDI cables.

About the only complaint I have about the Axiom is I'd prefer the power switch be on the top or on the side, instead of on the back. I built a standing shelf for my monitor and speakers and had to leave enough clearance to get my hand behind the Axiom to turn it on and off.

It was tough saying goodbye to my Casio but I'm looking forward to getting to work with the Axiom.

1.0 out of 5 stars USB broke quickly. cheaply made, December 4, 2011
i got mine at guitar center after thinking- wow played like a dream with great response in the keys. I got it home and babied it, but after a couple weeks I noticed it would wink out every hour or so. I'd have unplug it, restart my software and plug it in again. I figured it was my older pc or USB cable or something. a few months later I'd replaced my pc with a new MacBook and got a high end USB cable. didn't fix it. axioms tech support was unresponsive. the problem worsened dramatically so now every 10 mins it would lose its USB connection. I spent hours on phone or emailing axiom upgrading firmware and drivers to no avail. other axiom users stated similar problems with no resolution. ultimately this thing ended up in the trash. good riddance and I'm staying away from m audio forever. very sad cause it was a promising product that looks amazing on paper.

4.0 out of 5 stars Real nice, March 20, 2011
This MIDI controller does pretty much everything you could want.

The display is nice. Directlink with Reason is really cool. Not only do all of the knobs route to Reason devices, but the devices also show up on the LCD on the keyboard itself. You can easily scroll through patches, and other controls such as the playback transport of your host software, directly from the board!

The faders can be setup with your host DAW to control automation, etc. Keys feel pretty good but I wouldn't really consider them "semi weighted", they feel like pretty standard plastic keyboard keys to me... they do support aftertouch messages though. The drum pads are definitely a plus.

It is also fairly lightweight and portable given all of the functionality. It has MIDI in/out ports on it so it also acts as a MIDI interface. It runs without a power supply, on a single USB connection.

Amazon's price is unbeatable on this. 25% lower than I could find anywhere else.

Only other suggestion is, if you don't need quite all of these bells and whistles, save yourself the money and get an Oxygen 61 because it can do all of the basic stuff this one can.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest for me, July 3, 2012
First off let me say, even if you're like me and own a MAC and are running logic, the faders and all can be integrated with logic without mapping them. Simply install the direct connection software from M-audio's page for Logic or many other DAW's. I believe they have Sonar and others. That helps a lot because this comes with 9 faders, it's like having a mini mixing board.

I am new to midi. Midi looked very very complicated but the more I learn about midi, the more I learn, it isn't as complicated as it seems. You can use this keyboard to use the VST instruments stock, or you can program the buttons the way you prefer. If you're using guitar software such as amplitube 3, you can even use this midi keyboard to turn pedals on and off and change amps and even set the knobs on the keyboard to turn certain knobs on the amps down.

I am not entirely new to midi. Before I had an M-Audio key rig 25 but since I wanted to play real piano riffs, that didn't work for me. So then I got the Yamaha 235 which is a nice keyboard that also is a midi controller. But when the lion update came out it quit working as a midi controller. So I decided to get a dedicated midi controller.

I put this right on my computer desk in front of my i mac and it helps that it allows me to select the track I want and arm it and hit record, play and stop, all without touching the mouse. That comes when you download the axiom integrated software for logic or any DAW it supports. Everything I buy from M-audio is top notch. I never have had a problem with any M-audio product. And I use a lot of them. Including M-audio interfaces.

Logic pro comes with a ton of VST's on it's own so I'm able to use the m-audio Axiom 61 to play the "Steinway piano" for example or use many synth's that are already installed. Logic also has a good drum machine.

I use Superior Drummer 2.0 for drums. It also works well with the Axiom 61. It maps out and remembers what keys I want for what drums. You can install multiple midi controllers if you need to, but I simply am just down to using the axiom 61 and the others are sitting around. The axiom 61 does everything I need.

I do not make electronic music, this is a helpful tool for guitar players using superior drummer and using amplitube or something similar. It controls all of it. And it's very easy to program. You just click midi, learn, hit the button you want or dial on the amplitube program, and then the button you want it assigned to on the midi controller and it's learned, forever.

This helps a lot with affects as you can imagine. Need to turn your delay pedal on amplitube a little different? NO reason to click over to the delay pedal and do it with the mouse, just do it with the 8 rotary knobs on the axiom.

If you're not a keyboard player you can get the small version of this and it will do just the same. If you want to put piano riffs I suggest getting the 61 at the least. I am used to using more keys than even the 61 but the 61 works fine. The smaller keyboards, like the 61 has an octave button, so you still get the full piano.

I use mac, so I installed no drivers to get it to work, I plugged it in and logic 9 pro automatically knew it. When I went to m-audio and installed the direct connection app, then Logic 9 already knew the faders where for using the faders in the mixer and the rotary knobs were for panning.

I just can't say enough good stuff about this thing. It came in very fast. I paid for 2 day shipping I believe. I have it plugged into a USB hub and it is now an essential tool in my home studio.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than expected, December 19, 2010
My friend had originally given me an M-Audio49 key midi keyboard. I liked it but it didn't have all of the functions that I wanted it to have. So I decided to make an investment in this larger, more function based keyboard. It payed off. I used it with both garage band and logic pro and it worked perfectly. I have a macbook pro 15in so I did not have to install any of the drivers that must be installed if you have a PC. I literally opened the box, plugged into into my computer and it starting playing music. It automatically syncs the faders and knobs to different functions. You can change that but since I have only had this for about 4 days, I have yet to try. The learning curve for this product is pretty steep. There are a lot of controls and buttons that you must be able to understand if you want to get everything out of this keyboard. I really like this keyboard and I have made several songs and beats with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this detail!, March 2, 2012
Jeff B. "Jeff B." (South Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This thing is great... NOW. Out of the box, and skimmig through the documentation, I downloaded the newest driver, but missed the very important part about downloading and installing the DAW driver specific to the software that the controler would be interfacing with. This is my first controling surface, aside from the very basic M-49. So, all the instruction seemed a bit daunting, and became even more frustrating, because everything I tried specified in the documentation didn't work. Only the basic KB funtions worked.

Finally, rereading the owner's guide, I found the part about installing the DAW drivers and a link on the website to do so. Once the small install was completed, and I reconfigured my software to see the Axiom, BAM! Magic! Everything worked without any extra configuration. Sure, you can tweak things, but most things you want are auto-mapped via DAW standards. Even the patch names were dispalying on the Axiom's screen. I could easily change patches, tracks, and control the mixer and transport. I think I could start liking this!

As a Keyboard: After playing my non-weighted SY-22 Yamaha, which felt like a synth, and my M-Audio M49 which felt like a toy, the semi-weighted full sized keys are great. I haven't used it much yet, but the after-pressue feel is much more destinct that on my Yamaha, and I like that too!

Anyway, it wasn't cheap, and it doesn't feel or perform cheap either. Just make sure you set it up right! There are many entries I found on the web like "I can't get my faders or knobs to work and I have given up!" Well, don't, just be sure to install the DAW drivers available on-line at M-Audio. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent midi keyboard, November 25, 2011
Just realize a few things about midi keyboards before ordering this one. This keyboard is a plug and play controller. It has no on-board sounds - it's completely dependent on your computer's processor and software. If you know what you're doing, this keyboard is an incredible tool for creating music. Every button and knob is completely customizable via your digital audio software. Semi-weighted keys are very nice - plays extremely well. Drum pads are weight-response sensitive... and must be programmed via your software, not via the keyboard (took me a while to figure that one out). Overall, a very impressive, well-made keyboard. Automatically syncs to Pro Tools and a few other DAW programs. I use Reaper and have had to map all my keys and buttons and knobs, but the end result is incredible - total control of everything imaginable. I highly recommend this keyboard!

3.0 out of 5 stars Few Problems, March 12, 2014
Not a bad controller, not amazing.

My main problem with it is that the control section is sometimes unresponsive and i have to restart it.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Dialed right in to pro tools 8, October 10, 2014
So far so good. Dialed right in to pro tools 8. manual could be more thorough but not terrible. It is challenging as I am a musician and not an engineer. It does a lot and will take time to be fluent with its capabilities. Enigma does not work with win 7. So programming maps will be tedious.
All in all I think it will be awesome once I can control its potential, just keep in mind that takes a lot of boring non music making time.
Thats the price of running your own home studio though. 80% engineering 20% actual recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the Value Choice, March 8, 2011
Cliffmyster (Santa Cruz, CA) - See all my reviews
I sweated this purchase for a longtime, looked and looked, read all the reviews and landed on this: This is the most keyboard for the money by far. There is some talk of screen failures and the company does stand behind the product and replaces it. So if you are looking for a midi keyboard and you are just playing around with music, not a performer, and you want something that is not a cheap piece of you know what then this is your keyboard.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›