Avid Technology AV 40 2.0 Speaker System 9900-65140-00 Multimedia Speakers
Monitor Speakers for Professional-Quality Media Creation
It's widely known that M-Audio studio speakers are music industry bestsellers*. The accurate sound they provide allows you to go beyond simply enjoying music and videos—to creating your own. And now the Studiophile AV 40 studio monitors bring this same professional legacy to your home. Unlike plastic multimedia speakers, AV 40s use technology that's trusted by top musicians, engineers, and composers: premium woofer and tweeter components for rich lows and crystal-clear highs; waveguides for clarity, detail, and a wider "sweet spot"; and wooden cabinets for tight, punchy sound. They're perfect for creating all kinds of media—and also let you get the most out of your CDs, MP3s, DVDs, and games.
* MI SalesTrak: The M-Audio BX Deluxe series are the best-selling monitors in their class in the United States (September 2009 - March 2010).
M-Audio AV 40 at a Glance:
- 4" polypropylene-coated woofers—tight, accurate bass
- 1" ferrofluid-cooled silk dome tweeters—clear, smooth highs
- OptImage III tweeter wave guides—precision imaging for a balanced stereo field
- 20-watt-per-channel amplifier with Class A/B architecture—professional design and fidelity
- Magnetic shielding—reduces interference with other equipment, perfect for multimedia and video work
Get the Studio Monitor Technology Top Professionals Trust
AV 40s use proven M-Audio technology to deliver full-range sound, from crystal-clear highs, to deep, rich bass tones. They're perfect for creating and enjoying all kinds of media.
Professional Components for Superior Results
We build the AV 40s with the same quality materials and precision electronics as our acclaimed M-Audio professional studio speakers. The audiophile-grade Class A/B amplifier architecture, ferrofluid-cooled silk dome tweeters, polypropylene-coated woofers, and dense wooden enclosures add up to big, defined sound that defies the speakers' compact size.
Clear, Cohesive Sound
The AV 40 speakers use proprietary OptImage wave guide technology—originally developed for the entire professional M-Audio speaker line—to deliver superior clarity and detail. Each speaker also features a precision-engineered crossover, which ensures that the sound emanating from the low-frequency driver will blend seamlessly with the sound from the high-frequency driver—so those deep lows transition smoothly into crystal-clear highs.
Extended Low End
If you crave bass, the AV 40s have you covered. With wooden cabinets and bass reflex design, the AV 40s kick out serious low frequencies—perfect for producing hip-hop and electronic music, or enjoying your favorite CDs, MP3s, DVDs, and games.
Magnetically Shielded for Desktop Use
Many speakers emit stray magnetic flux that can wreak havoc with your computer's video monitor or a nearby TV. The AV 40s are magnetically shielded, so they can coexist with other equipment without interference. Put them next to your computer screen and create with confidence.
Full Features Overview
- 4" polypropylene-coated woofers for tight, accurate bass
- 1" ferrofluid-cooled silk dome tweeters for clear, pristine highs
- OptImage III tweeter wave guides for superior imaging and detail
- 20-watt-per-channel amplifier with Class A/B architecture
- Magnetic shielding for use near computer video monitors
- Back-panel 1/4" TRS balanced and RCA unbalanced inputs for connecting gaming systems, DJ gear, mixers, amplifiers, instruments, and more
- Front-panel 1/8" stereo auxiliary input for connecting your laptop or desktop computer, MP3 player, or other audio sources
- Front-panel 1/8" headphone output for connecting headphones
- Front-panel volume control
- Wood cabinet with bass reflex port design for deep, rich sound
- Type: two-way desktop reference speaker
- Low-frequency driver: 4" diam., polypropylene-coated, magnetically shielded with high-temperature voice coil
- High-frequency driver: 1" diam., magnetically shielded silk cone tweeter
- Frequency response: 85 Hz – 20 kHz
- Crossover frequency: 2.7 kHz
- RMS SPL: 101.5 dB @ 1 meter
- Signal-to-noise ratio: > 90 dB (typical, A-weighted)
- Input connectors: left and right RCA line input, left and right ¼" TRS input, and ⅛" aux input
- Polarity: positive signal at "+" input produces outward low-frequency cone displacement
- Dynamic power: 15 watts continuous, per channel into 4 Ω
- Input impedance: 10k Ω unbalanced, 20k Ω balanced
- Input sensitivity: 100 mV pink noise input produces 90 dBA output SPL at 1 meter with vol. control at max.
- Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn on/off transient, subsonic filter
- Indicator: blue power LED ring around volume knob on front panel
- Power requirements: 100-120V/~50/60Hz, 220-240V/~50/60Hz
- Cabinet: vinyl-laminated MDF
What's in the Box?
- (2) AV 40 Monitors
- Speaker Interconnect Cable
- 4' ⅛"-to-Stereo RCA Cable
- 4' ⅛"-to-⅛" Auxiliary Cable
- User Guide
|M-Audio Studiophile Monitor Comparison ||AV 30 ||AV 40 |
|Type ||Nearfield studio monitor ||Nearfield studio monitor |
|Low-Frequency Driver Size ||3 inches ||4 inches |
|High-Frequency Driver Size ||1 inch ||1 inch |
|RCA Inputs ||X ||X |
|1/8-inch Auxiliary Input ||X ||X |
|1/8-inch Headphone Output ||X ||X |
|Volume Control ||X ||X |
|Frequency Response (Hz) ||90-20,000 ||85-22,000 |
|Max SPL (dB @ 1 meter) ||101.5 ||101.5 |
|Dimensions (HxWxD) ||7.9 x 5.3 x 6.3 ||8.75 x 6 x 7.25 |
|Weight (total lbs) ||11.7 ||14 |