1,165 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread!
Honestly now. I have the Casio Privia piano, which can use 2 pedals. I bought 2 of these pedals to try and they work great. The one major complaint I've always had with non traditional pianos is the cheap tiny pedals every company gives you. Plus they give you only 1 at that.
Published on May 3, 2006 by Mouse

3.0 out of 5 stars works with Yamaha P60, but not perfect
Published on February 27, 2006 by Papi

5.0 out of 5 stars Best thing since sliced bread!, May 3, 2006
Mouse (West Virgina) - See all my reviews
This review is from: M-Audio SP-2 Sustain Pedal with Piano Style Action for Keyboards (Electronics)
Say goodbye to those tiny boxes, pretending to be pedals, slipping and sliding out from under your feet. These are real full size piano pedals and are heavy enough to stay put even without the non slide bottoms. I've had mine 3 months now and have not had to climb under my piano once looking for and sorting out which pedal is which...they simply stay put!

July
The more I use these little wonders the more I love them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great...if you have the room under your keyboard, January 26, 2006
I had been using the 'pedal' which came with the keyboard for the Privia px-100 keyboard which is nothing like a pedal on a normal piano. I purchased the M-Audio pedal to replace it.

At first I was thrilled with this pedal, but when I bought a stand for my digital piano I discovered a problem. This pedal is very long, 10.5". With the stand against the wall there was no room to push the pedal far enough back to place into a normal playing position. I had to move the stand about 8 inches from the wall to put the pedal into place.

Before buying just beware of how you have/want to arrange your keyboard and be sure you'll have the room to use the pedal comfortably.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOLID PRODUCT! -- QUALITY AND LOW PRICE?... YES!!!, May 14, 2009
Love this pedal!... LOVE IT!... Ordered on April 29, 2009 with free super-saver shipping... Had it in my hands on May 4, 2009 (and the transit time included 2 weekend days!...). FINE JOB, AMAZON! M-Audio SP-2 US65010 Sustain Pedal Piano Style Sustain Pedal for Keyboards LET'S SEE, WHERE TO BEGIN?... I looked at several brands of pedals at local music stores but, none of them had the classic rounded pedal shape (like on a grand piano) that the SP-2 has. Most had squared-off pedals... I prefer the round pedal. The black plastic part of the unit has a simple, clean, elegant shape (I have a design background, so this is important to me...) with precise fitting parts. The rubber bottom plate is held in place by five phillips-head screws (count em'--FIVE!... Two, maybe three would be sufficient, I think...). The over-all impression I get is that this is a solid product. The pedal "maxed out" my 16 ounce postal scale, so I put it on my bathroom scale and it looks like it weighs about 1-1/2 pounds. Lift a 28 ounce can of vegetarian baked beans to get an approximation... It takes a fair amount of effort to depress the pedal, just like on a "real" piano so they got the "feel" just right, in my opinion. The pedal does not squeek and has no side-to-side play whatsoever. It is really a solid, solid product. Another reviewer gave a lower rating because they wrote that the pedal slips on the floor... I strongly refute this claim! Why?... I believe that if that individual would take a moment to wipe off the floor and the bottom of the pedal with a wrung-out soapy rag and let things dry, the problem would be solved. My floor was dusty (oh, the forced-air heat that blows dust into the air...) and transferred dust to the brand-new-out-of-the-box pedal bottom and it slipped a bit... But, once cleaned off, it stayed solidly put. Remember when, as a kid, you got brand-new sneakers and wore them for the first time on the freshly waxed gym floor at your school and tried to skid them along and they made that loud squeeking sound as they skidded to a halt?... It's like that!... NOW, there is something that I want to point out to potential buyers-- AMAZON left two (2) very important features off of the product description... FIRST, the SP-2 does (YES, PEOPLE, IT DOES!...) have a POLARITY SWITCH on the bottom sole plate. This makes the pedal compatible with ANY type, ANY brand of electronic keyboard with a 1/4" pedal jack (on my Korg M-1, the pedal is called the "damper"). Don't you dare let ANY manufacturer FOOL YOU and try to tell you that you must buy THEIR brand of pedal. They just want your money to go to THEM!... Enough said on this matter... SECOND, the SP-2 also comes with a PLASTIC COVER (it's kind of an opaque white color, sort of like old-school tupperware, if you can imagine what that looks like...) for the chrome plated part of the unit. I know, we want our pedal to gleam forever and never get scratched, but it still looks great even with the cover in place. For that recital, maybe just play in your socks and show off that shiny chrome plating!... I realize that I am writing a lengthy review and you may be thinking to yourself, "gee, this guy has too much time on his hands", BUT, I am actually VERY busy, but just felt compelled to give this excellent product a great review that it DESERVES... NOW, I will end by writing, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME, and "BUY IT!!!"...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with my Yamaha Keyboard, May 2, 2006
I am using this pedal with a Yamaha YPT-200 keyboard and it is compatible. It worked from the start and responds as I expect it to. It has the feel of a real piano pedal. (I'm not an expert, but I have played on acoustic pianos in the past.)

I like the weight and the rubber bottom, because they allow the pedal to stay put. No problems for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great on Casio WK-210, October 16, 2009
Great build quality. The pedal is heavy, stays put on the floor (mine is resting on carpet), and foot-push feel is great. I connected to my Costco-purchased Casio WK-210, and it works great.

3.0 out of 5 stars works with Yamaha P60, but not perfect, February 27, 2006
This pedal works with my Yamaha P60. It looks great, and the feel and sound are very natural. The only problem I've noticed is that the SP-2 always adds just a little bit of sustain to every note, even when the pedal isn't pressed down. It's kind of a bummer, but it does make the P60 sound a little more 'real'. I don't know if the Yamaha FC4 has this effect or not.

For the guy who was having problems with the P60, try this: turn the P60 off, unplug the SP-2, then plug it back in. Hold the pedal all the way down while you turn the keyboard on. Then release the pedal. It should work after that, though you may have to flip the polarity switch on the bottom as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars May require settings change to operate with Yamaha keyboards, January 27, 2007
A couple of previous reviewers have mentioned problems with sustain operation; the first couldn't get the pedal to operate and the second described changing the pedal's switch setting. While the pedal does have a switch that may correct the sustain operation with some keyboards, it may not be enough to allow reliable operation with all keyboards. I couldn't get it to work with my Yamaha CP300 with the pedal's make/break slide switch in either position. I had to change the Yamaha "pedal type" setting to "break" (under the "other settings" menu) and set the SP-2 slide switch back to the factory default (position "1").

I was curious why this problem occurred, thinking that perhaps my pedal was defective, so I checked it with an ohm-meter and found that it only goes to 150-300 ohms when conducting. I opened it up and saw that it uses elastomeric switches, and this high "on" resistance is a characteristic of these switches. It seems that the Yamaha is expecting a lower "on" resistance, so just switching the SP-2 slide switch isn't enough to make the Yamaha see the switch go closed in "make" mode.

Mine seems to be reliable (so far), and there could be enough variation between units that this problem may not occur with every Yamaha user. I'd buy another SP-2, but I'd make sure that I knew the store's return policy if I was planning to use it with a Yamaha keyboard.

Additionally, even though everyone is referring to this as a "sustain" pedal, it doesn't allow the "partial sustain" that the real Yamaha FC-3 supports on some of the Yamaha digital pianos, so this pedal should only be used for the "soft", "sostenuto", or "aux" functions on the CP300.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality product, good price., December 8, 2006
Good pedal. The units that come with many keyboards (such as my older Yamaha P80) are rubbish. The springs are way too weak such that when wearing shoes, I get very little pedal feel.

The spring on the M-Audio metal is pretty firm and has a nice solid feel. I'm currently using it on a Roland Fantom X8. When I plugged it in for the first time, it sustained every note, but the sustain would go away when I depressed the pedal (opposite effect). I looked underneath the pedal, and sure enough, there's a clearly labeled switch that reverses the function of the pedal. So I flipped the switch and it started working normally with no problems. Still working nicely after a month.

Another reviewer gave this product 1-star... pay him no mind. He just wasn't patient enough to flip a switch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Meant for acoustic players, June 9, 2006
Pianists used to the acoustic pedal will love this pedal. It stays in place and works well. Much better than the small, boxy alternative and for not too much more money. It is compatible with my Yamaha DGX-205. Definitely worth the money!

4.0 out of 5 stars High quality pedal, January 24, 2007
The piano style pedal looks and feels like the real thing. It has weight and does not slip about the floor. The length should not be a problem for most users. I set mine at an angle and it feels fine. I use a Casio keyboard and the default position of the compatibility switch was correct. The plug seems a little bit long and I found it worked best if I did not push it in all the way, otherwise I have only praise for the pedal.