5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS M51AC-US004S Desktop
Published 16 months ago by KG

I have had generally good results with asus products and this is no exception if you're willing to live with its limitations.
First off, my mistake, this system does NOT have a wireless adapter. Somehow I missed that in the description.

Secondly, the Nvidia GT 620 is too under powered for anything other than business graphics or SD movie watching...
Published 7 months ago by Brevemike

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS M51AC-US004S Desktop, July 23, 2013
This review is from: ASUS M51AC-US004S Intel Core i7-4770, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, Windows 8 Desktop (Personal Computers)
I did a lot of research and comparisons with a lot of other vendors and felt this was an exceptional value. The first system came and was DOA. I was worried I had made a huge mistake. Called ASUS and they wanted me to return it them for repairs--no specific return time. I called Amazon and they drop shipped me a new one that arrived in about 36 hours with a UPS return for the first one. The new system works superbly. I have an ASUS PA248Q monitor that is very good as well. So far this was a very good choice. The machine has a lot of highend for most people who aren't just looking for a super hot gaming machine. So far all games I have work well though.
Addendum: In the process of ordering this system, I discovered that Amazon had some faulty specification information regarding some of the ASUS models. It appeared that the manufacturer's product description for one of models was inadvertently inserted for another model. I think it is understandable to have such an occasional mix-up given the huge number of products being sold online, but it made things very confusing. I found it very important to compare the manufacturer's website information with the product description at Amazon to make sure the item ordered was correct.

3.0 out of 5 stars Under powered graphics, under powered, and limited expand ability., April 13, 2014
Brevemike (Under the Shade of a Cholla) - See all my reviews

If you decide to upgrade the video card you'll find the system has two 16x slots, however the second slot is too close to the edge of the mother board and does not provide clearance for motherboard cable connections (USB I believe) or cooling fins or fan on a video card because of the slots proximity to the bottom of the case.

Using the first 16x slot for a video card upgrade (where the 620 comes installed) will block one of the PCIe short slots.
Additionally, if you upgrade to virtually any gaming capable card you'll need an additional PCIe power cable - which is not available on the 350w power supply included with this system. Depending on how beefy a card you get you can either get a molex to PCIe adapter or (more likely) replace the power supply with at least a 450w source. The vast majority of the aftermarket power supplies will have the required power cables already built on.

Since the system wasn't DOA, I couldn't return it under Amazon policies and get something a bit more expensive with the specs I needed. Make sure to read the detailed specs and buy for tomorrow.

Live and learn!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice computer for the $$, October 28, 2013
I did a lot of searching and this unit with the i7 processor, 16GM RAM, fast hard drive, and discrete graphics card included came up looking like the best value for me. I bought it to run 4 1920x1080 monitors for trading. It came with the motherboard integrated graphics disabled, but the BIOS has a very user friendly interface to change the graphics choice to both integrated and discrete graphics. The integrated graphics defaults to 64MB total memory so should be ok for me, but probably not for a gamer. There is only one PCIe x16 slot, so would not be able to add a second graphics card. One can hear the fans but the level is not objectionable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good to go, January 19, 2014
This is a very nice PC. It's fast, boots quickly and is attractive. My one complaint is the instructions are not adequate. I connected the HDMI cable from my monitor to the HDMI port the instructions specified. Got no signal on the monitor no matter what I did. It took a call to technical support to learn that the HDMI port described in the instructions is disabled if the computer has a discrete video card installed. If it does, you have to use another HDMI port near the base of the computer, which I didn't notice. I thought the thing was DOA. Explaining the video card issue in the instructions would have taken a sentence or two.

My call to tech support, however, was answered in less than a minute and the tech knew immediately what the problem was. He stayed on the line to make sure it was fixed. So despite that small glitch, I am good with this Asus computer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Customer Service, November 16, 2013
I bought this computer in June based on the specs. I had no problem for 2 months but then the computer started turning itself off by itself. I had no problem with that until it started to do it several times a day in October. First I tried to reset it to factory settings with no improvement. Then it contacted ASUS tech support and they suggested I change the settings so that it never turns itself off. I changed the power outlet, power cable, even reset it again but nothing works. About two weeks ago it turned itself off again for the fifth time that day but this time I could not restart it again, so I left it turned off over night, and in the morning it restarted and run for 3-4 hour, and the problem started again. To me it looks like an overheating problem. The reason I give only one star is that ASUS will not replace the unit. They want me to ship it to them,wait for 5-7 business days and then I may get it back. This is unacceptable as I use the computer for work, and I need a replacement before I send it out. I solved the situation by buying another ASUS computer and when I get mine back, I will returrn the new one to the store which will return it to ASUS to be refurbished. That is my small revenge. I recommend you buy ASUS only if you do not have other choices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Office Computer with some minor issues., June 20, 2014
For the price, this is one of the best deals for an i7 desktop with this amount of ram unless you are building something custom. I purchased one of these for a business client and it is really way more than they need; however, it functions flawlessly aside from some minor quirks that I'll get to shortly. I was actually worried about how it would look in person, but it looks great as an awesome pc. The first thing I did was install a Samsung EVO SSD and clone the current included hard drive. I then hid the factory installed partition. This sped things way up. I can't speak for application load times w/ the installed hard drive; however, as with most SSD upgrades, this thing was amazingly fast.

Issues:
* I ran into an issue where USB 3.0 devices were going crazy connecting/disconnecting and not being recognized. I fixed this by changing legacy usb settings from auto to off.
* I also ran into some issues where it would only attempt to boot from USB 3.0 connected hard drives even though it was clearly not setup in the boot priorities to boot to USB first.

Other than those minor quirks, it has been very reliable and my customer can't wait to upgrade the rest of their machines with these. I would highly recommend it to anyone that doesn't want to build a custom solution. It would make a great entry level gaming/video editing computer for a home user. You might want to upgrade the power supply and throw in a nice video card and you would have a great high-end system.

Highly recommended for the price and cannot be beat by either DELL, HP or Acers current offerings on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Super Fast Machine for the price. Doesn't *officially* work with Win7, but it is possible, April 3, 2014
PROS: i7 is FAST. up to 32GB RAM. Runs Quite. lots of USB Ports (front and back). Simple Form Factor and lightweight, clean looking case. Can run dual Monitors. Expandable.
CONS: Win8 is awful. This machine doesn't officially support Win7, but it possible with some work. The power button is in an annoying spot, easy to accidentally push.

I bought this machine along with a Samsung 840EVO SSD Hard drive replacement. My plan was to immediately put the drive in, and install windows 7, as Windows 8 is such a pain to deal with.

I thought it would be easy, but it took a while to sort it out. I had to mess with the BIOS to get it recognize additional boot devices. Then, I had to disconnect the existing Win8 HD due to a conflict on the Win7 install.

The key to getting Windows 7 setup is to use drivers form the Asus M11AD (which comes with Windows 7).

So, I used the chipset drivers from M11AD and some additional Win7 Drivers for this M51AC (only a few were listed on the support page). Then, I used windows update to get the correct display drivers.

After all that, Win7 is fully operational and is blazing fast. All components are working. Next test, is to get some Crucial ram and get the machine up to 32GB.

Another small issue... the optical drive has no obvious eject button. So, to put in a disc when not in Windows, I used a paperclip and jam it in that little hole. So annoying. Thanks Apple, for setting the trend here. I realized there is a spot on the front that works as the eject button, but it's really hard to see. But, installing windows is about the only time I use optical media.

Great machine, but don't try to install Win7 unless you are up for a challenge!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great PC for the price, August 17, 2014
This is definitely a great PC for the price:

you cant beat the features:

Its Asus, so you can trust that the quality is going to be there and that it will be reliable.

16GB RAM. plenty of RAM to run most of today's games and video

1 TB hard drive. plenty of hard drive space for storing those games, videos etc.

NVDIDIA GT620 video card. decent video card for running games. not top of the line, but not bad either. i can confirm that the card is not integrated and is replaceable (see below though).

some things to consider when purchasing this PC:

its only got a 320 watt power supply. hence if you want to upgrade to the next class of video card, you will also need a 550W power supply or above. though a little tedious, it is possible to do this. i put in an 800 watt power supply no problem.

the windows product key is integrated onto the motherboard. yup. you heard correctly. Microsoft no longer includes the product key separately. initially i thought it was a mistake that i didnt receive a key so i called Asus directly and that is what they told me. thus, if you wanted to change the OS to windows 7 or linux, its going to be a chore. im sure there is a way around it, but some research would be required. fyI, this is mandated by Microsoft and NOT a policy by Asus.

you also dont get a windows CD. Asus has a backup recovery system that is available for this model at no charge and comes preloaded.

the system is divided into 3 partitions. 1 for the OS, 1 for Data, and the standard 100MB system reserve.

overall i feel this is a great system for the money. if you are on a budget and looking for a computer for college, gaming, etc.. this is definitely one to consider. just be aware of the issues above and you will have no problems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well spec'd machine, May 15, 2014
So far this has been a wonderful purchase. It's incredible fast compared to the older computer it replaced. I'm very impressed with the new generation i7 chip. Be careful when purchasing any Asus desktop as they are not all created equal. This particular one is capable of taking 32gb of ram while others in the same line are only able to take 16gb.

It has a adequate video card that will do most standard stuff for most folks but if you want to game you'll need to upgrade for the newer fancier games. If you need to upgrade you'll also need to upgrade the powersupply as well. Most faster cards need a 600w min PSU and this only has a 350w (although I think that's peak and it's actually a 280w, but I could be wrong about that).

It has just about all the ports you'll need. The top tray near the ports is nice for plugging in phones or external drives quickly and setting them down. No more dangling from the front. It doesn't have a wireless so you'll need to add a wireless adapter of some sort. To me this wasn't an issue but I say it because someone will surely expect it and whine.

For software Win 8 comes loaded but you can upgrade to 8.1 for free, at least it gave me the option. I've enjoyed it coming from a mac for the last 10 years. Microsoft has come a long way.

The only downside to the who machine and I can't really give it a mark down because it seems to be a standard trend is the stupid pre loaded software that they try to give you. It's not overwhelming like I've seen from some machines but I took the time to clean most of it out. I probably should have done a clean install right away and worked that way but I was too excited to get going.

The case is solid. Runs cool and has a reasonable amount of space for upgrades. Configuration inside is adequate for 95% of people out there but there will be some that run into space issues for multiples of things. But this really isn't a proper machine for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this and then upgrade the graphics card, June 27, 2014
This is a cheap way to get into PC gaming. First of all, ASUS is top of the line. I used to have a DELL for crying out loud. This PC is so reliable!! The only thing that sucks with this computer is you can only have 1 really nice graphics card. You can't SLI with this PC. So make sure you buy the best card you can. Oh... and opening up the panel voids your warranty. Just a heads up.

ASUS M51AC-US004S Intel Core i7-4770, 16GB RAM, 1TB HD, Windows 8 Desktop
$1,005.92
In stock. Usually ships within 2 to 3 days.