ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Style Name: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0Change
Price:$117.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 21, 2013
******Get the MFA99X if you only plan on using 1 graphics card - that's the only difference between the two is the transfer rate of data between the two GPUs. You will not see a performance boost by getting this one instead if you only use one GPU. (At the time, it was a $1 difference so I grabbed this).*******

Asus delivers outstanding results. The features are immense which you can see here or youtube.

There was a problem that I didn't see worth getting an exchange for which is the large cooling fins was loose. It has two rubber feet that attach it to the motherboard. I left it as is but I'm sure it could be pushed back in with a little force (I'm too chicken for that!).

I think the design is worth mentioning. The SATA cables are great with how they positioned it - very unique. Also, you have plenty of room if you do use two graphic cards. You will find that if you add two with some MOBO's that they'll become too close. This board makes sure to address every issue you could think of and then some.

My favorite part outside of no more BIOS and the really awesome app for Windows would be that it has 32 gb of ram capability. That's server level meaning if you're running virtualization for school or for whatever reason - this thing will allow you to have a TON of machines. More machines = better lab = better experience for your job.

Gamers - this is more than enough. I see some bragging about spending $250 on a board to play BF4 on ultra as if a board like this could never even dream of doing that. Well guess again, it can.

Videographer - Again, fast delivery for the cards and CPU you put in so video editing will do great with this board.. obviously you'll need other stuff to make that happen but as a foundation I think this is perfect.

Home Theater / Home Server - This is fantastic for those things. It allows at the Asus level for remote file sharing (Andriod / iPhone capabilities) , media sharing, high security, great LAN features without the need for a separate NIC, Remote control the computer with a phone or tablet, and security at the CPU level.

I really really want to say this board is perfect but the cooling fin (large one) has these little feet that attach it to the board. One was not attached properly but that should be an easy fix.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 3, 2013
I've used an assortment of brands over the years from msi, asus, gigabyte primarily but usually come back to asus. The only problem is their support, it's overseas and good luck getting help from one of them at times. My pet peeves on this board include NO motherboard speaker for bios posting, not a big deal, but still you'd think spending this kind of money they'd include the 50 cent speaker and didn't come with motherboard screws, again, you'd think for the cost of this board it'd get included. I knew about this prior to purchasing and bought the separate screws & speaker etc so not that big a deal.

The board itself is working with an amd fx8350 no problem, flashed the bios before installing any hard drives and I was good to go. The flash back feature is awesome, plug in the flash drive with the bios file (.cap file named correctly) hold the button a few seconds, vuala, few minutes later it's flashed and good to go. I'm not saying everyone needs to flash the bios, but I needed to for the amd fx8350 because the onboard bios version was 1302 and I upgraded to 1502 for the sake of support.

4 Ram slots, 4 pci express 2.0 slots which support xfire and sli, generous amount of sata ports, everything is labeled and includes multiple internal usb 2/3 hookups for usb in the front or extra plugins in the back. I'm very pleased to get this board, did everything the more expensive sabretooth can do (minus a sata port and the ceramic heat coating) for $20 less. If you're planning to put a good cpu in, don't skimp on your motherboard, get something reliable like this and be happy you did when you go to assemble it.

Also, the UEFI bios is awesome, get to use mouse rather than just keyboard, by default auto sets all timings for memory and properly recognizes everything. There's so many features, the UEFI is like a mini os within the bios!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 11, 2012
I used this board in a recent build with an FX-8320, 16gb 1600, gtx 560 and Windows 8. So far the build has been very low drama and everything has worked perfectly. Do make sure to update the bios using the usb flash back feature before you start assembly as my board came with a bios 4 editions old and I bet yours will too (The bios flashback feature is a great selling point by the way).
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 8, 2013
I'd like to preface this review by stating that I used to have an ASRock 970 Extreme3 motherboard. The VRM heat generated by that motherboard prevented me from even running my AMD FX 8320 CPU at stock settings, so I had to undervolt and drop the clock speed of the processor to make it work. Cooling wasn't the problem - I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 with 2x200mm CM Megaflow fans, one as intake and one as exhaust, and 2x120mm CM fans, also one as intake and one as exhaust, and a CM Hyper 212 Evo on the CPU. I will admit, it was my fault for buying a very budget board without doing any real research.

When I got this motherboard, that all changed. My 8320 is now running at a base clock of 245, with a turbo OC around 4.3/4.55/4.8GHz. The CPU stays at 4.55GHz most of the time, with a few cores flipping to 4.8GHz as heat and voltage permit. Performance has, needless to say, been significantly improved in games. Planetside 2 doesn't look like a slide show during large engagements - it hovers around 35-40 FPS in big battles, generally. My core temps never exceed 45C.

This motherboard does still generate some VRM heat, but unlike the Extreme3, it doesn't throttle my CPU multiplier to reign it in. It just doesn't get anywhere near as bad. I was actually worried that this motherboard would still have some VRM heat issues since it only has a 6+2 power phase, but the importance of VRM quality as well as quantity really shines through with this board.

I also really like the BIOS. I really liked the offset voltage mode and its automatic settings. I didn't have to sweat voltages at all when I was tweaking my OC - lazy, I know, but it made things very easy on me. The fact that I'm running 4.55GHz with 4.8GHz max turbo without having to run Prime every night for a year is nice. I know it's not an exceptional OC, but it didn't take much time or effort, either.

Overall, if you're looking for a mild and solid overclock with an AMD CPU, I don't think you can do much better than this board, especially for the price range. Asus just earned a new, and very loyal, fan.
on September 22, 2014
This Mobo is very easy to install with alot of nice features to boot. For the price versatilty and the best affordable mobo for my 9370 cpu it is a must.
The reason I gave it four stars however and not 5, my audio does not work. No amount of re installs or using different audio down loads,clean boots, reformatting you name it will fix it, The reason you may ask? The real tech chip is doa. Now you may think I am being awfully generous to give it 4 stars with no sound. I have used there mobos for years and they have always been out standing. It is a luck of the draw, lets face it we are dealing with very delicate components.

So I just order the number one rated affordable sound board I will receive tomr. to just by pass the problem no bigs.
Oh and I love the auto clocking tech this mobo comes with lots of bells and whistles in the bios
on February 7, 2013
This motherboard is pretty great. I went from an ASRock 970FX to this and am very pleased that I did so. The board is definitely an ASUS product and you can see that in the quality design. It has a very nice look to it and looks great mounted inside a case. My main attraction point was the seven SATA ports and ability to utilize front I/O USB 3.0, a feature I have never had on a mother board before.

My main issues are the placement for fan input and the small metal "cushings" for where you screw the motherboard to the standoffs. First, there are five places for fan inputs, two by the CPU for push pull configurations, which is great. Then there are three more, one by the SATA ports and two by the PCI slots. My confusion is why there are two by the PCI slots. I can understand how fans on the top and back of the case need pin points, but where they are makes it a wee bit difficult to manage the cables in a nice looking manner. As far as the metal "cushings" go, they were destroyed very quickly. This is not a huge issue, but I would have liked them to be there for extra security. I would also like to note that I did not use any mechanical tools, all screws were hand tightened with a pen screwdriver so I didn't apply too much force.

Overall, it is a great product. I took one start off for the two minor issues I had. In the end, I would happily buy this board again and would recommend others to do the same as well. 4/5
review image
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have had a number of Asus products over the years and all worked well. Not so with this product. When everything was set up, the system booted up as expected, the problem was that if you let the machine go to sleep or shut down via the software shut down in windows 7, it would never wake up until you removed power from the motherboard. This was done by turning the power supply switch off for a few seconds and then back on. At this point it would boot normally and repeat the same problem.

Here is when the larger problem began. I contacted Asus tech support (this turned out to be the most disappointing experience) and they had me do several checks, even suggesting the power supply was bad (it worked fine on another Mfr's motherboard and it is more than adequate at 750W). After several emails back an forth they ran out of dumb ideas and suggested sending it in for repair to there facility in Jeffersonville, IN. They issued an RMA number and to ship it to them at my cost of $22 . I sent it off and approximately 2 weeks later, the same board was returned to me. After installing the same components that were previously connected to the motherboard, it now failed to boot at all! It had a momentary red LED light flash indicating a problem with the processor so I re-seated it, same light flashed when trying to start the machine and then nothing except for a green LED on the board that lights up when power is applied from the power supply. I again tried the processor in another manufacture's motherboard and again it worked fine. I'm sure they never tested the board or they would have found the same issue.

The real insult that was most aggravating was the call to tech support to advise them of the failed "repair" and then they suggested that I pay $10 non refundable processing fee along with a credit card number (to insure I returned the failed motherboard) and they would ship me a different "repaired" motherboard. The $180 charge to my credit card would be refunded when I returned my original piece of junk.

My advice to you, if it doesn't work send it back to Amazon immediately and either get you money back or an exchange. Since I elected to screw around with Asus "repair" service, I passed the window on my ability to return it Amazon and now I'm held hostage by Asus if I ever want a working motherboard.

Asus needs to review their return/repair policy as they are far from the best when it comes to Customer Service!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 11, 2015
I ordered this motherboard about 3 months ago and was really excited because it had the four PCI express x16 slots and a decent amount of USB ports. When it arrived I put my PC together and fired it up. Within an hour the computer started randomly rebooting. So I let it sit a day and it still wasn't working correctly. So I went through all the parts, testing them. The RAM checked out and the PSU was in perfect working order and my GPU was working fine. So that left me with the CPU and the motherboard. I ran core thermometers to see if my CPU was getting to hot, but it was only running at a 17-25 Celsius. So I tried to return the motherboard but it was already past the return date. That meant I had Asus to deal with. As of now I am awaiting my replacement, but I am not satisfied on how Asus does their advanced replacement.
::Update:: So I received my replacement, 20 dollars in shipping later, put it in the rig and started it up. It worked perfectly... For a day and a half. It started giving me a red light for the processor and would not show anything on the monitor. I tried taking everything out and putting it back and still no luck. I have tested the CPU and it works fine. So now I have to RMA this one through Asus again. Another 20 dollars in shipping.

I am very disappointed in Asus. :(
on December 30, 2014
Married this puppy to a FX-6350 and it is great. I didn't and haven't had any issues thus far. Bios is nice to navigate in. I didn't have an installation disk and this was for my first build so I had to use USB. I had to disconnect my Storage HDD so that it would only recognize the SSD I am using for installation.

I did have an issue with the MOBO recognizing the USB boot drive, but after checking some forums I found the solution. For some reason this board stops reading the USB drive right after installed so you have to remove it and put it back in when the screen says it can't recognize the boot USB. I can't find the original place I saw this to reference it, but hopefully if you run into the issue you will find it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 24, 2013
I gave 5 stars due to the quality and the layout - very easy to install and the product itself has all the features you would need currently.

I like that this runs Crossfire AND SLi with 2 full x16 PCIe solts. It has Sata 3 (6gb/s) and USB 3.0. Great board from my favorite brand manufacturer. 3 year warranty.

I recommend this to anyone who prefers AMD's price and wants to have the option of running SLi (nVidia) videos cards.