Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: MAD's Greatest Artists: Mort Drucker: Five Decades of His Finest Works
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 22, 2012
First of all, I'm rating the BOOK, not the cartoonist!. Mort Drucker is the best one around; PERIOD!

That's why his work deserved a much better anthology than this one. I think the editors of MAD (now owned by Time-Warner) picked the most commercial movies ("Gremlins", "Jaws", "Batman") instead of the artist's finest works. Mind you, there's no such thing as a "bad" Drucker movie satire -each one is drawn superbly- but there are good ones and outstanding ones. "The Oddfather Too", for instance, is rendered in pen and ink when depicting the Pacino scenes (1959) and in gorgeous shaded pencil work for the DeNiro ones (1920). "Blue Eyed Kook" has the funniest Paul Newman likenesses ever caught, and "The Great Gasbag" or "Chinaclown" look better than the actual movies! None of these are featured in the book. Also, I would have liked to see Mr. Drucker's first MAD assignment, his first movie satire, his first cover, and his first full color parody. Last but not least, I would have loved to get a meatier interview by about his work and career. Still, it is a lovely edition (compare it with the awful Fantagraphics book on Jack Davis), but for my money, I'd wait for a truly great retrospective of Mort Drucker, done in the same luxurious manner!

P.S.: In the meantime, try "Familiar faces: the art of Mort Drucker" by David Duncan, or the now unavailable "The art of Humorous Illustration" by Nick Meglin. Books on Drucker for "druckerians", if you know what I mean.
44 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2012
First of all, this is a beautifully edited volume with great reproductions of Mort Druckers' fine artwork for MAD magazine, spanning 52 years of first-rate contributions. Most are in crisp black and white but there are some color reproductions of several of his fantastic covers. Included is a beautiful pull-out poster from 1965 in color, originally published in Mad Follies #2. You will find here some of his best parodies from movies and TV shows like Bonanza, Batman, True Grit, The Godfather, American Graffiti, Serpico, Jaws, Raging Bull, Law & Order, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Rocky, Spider-Man, Mission: Impossible and many, many more! I am old enough to remember Mort's work from the earliest years and to me, he was the main reason to buy MAD. That was the first thing I turned to when picking up every new issue and I miss his work from the current editions. No artist has come close to capturing celebrities' likenesses like he did. His line work was extremely precise but somehow loose and free-wheeling and he enjoyed filling his panels with little gags and funny details. You had to go back several times to absorb every nuance Mort inserted here and there. And every satire mirrored the original inspiration exactly. His feel for ambiance, settings and space composition has gone largely unmatched by subsequent Drucker wannabes. All in all, a beautiful volume and a fine tribute to one of MAD's greatest artists. If I had to quibble, I'd only wish some of my favorite parodies had been included, like Bullitt, The Towering Inferno, The Fugitive, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., The Spy Who Loved Me or The Godfather II...but that's only on a personal note. If you admire Mort Drucker, if you're a MAD magazine reader from way back or if you appreciate the fine art of caricature, this book will not disappoint. I only hope we get a Volume 2 sometime in the future with more jewels from Mr. Drucker, my all-time idol!
on February 9, 2013
I grew up with Mort Drucker's work. I love his attention to detail and his humor in his artwork. I thought I was going to get his finest work here. No way. Of course being a realist, I understand that his finest work is subjective to anyone who is choosing it. If Mort chose the work then so be it, I disagree. Left out were many of his older works in favor of the new stuff. I think its obvious the target audience they were going for her was a younger generation. I grew up in the 60's and read MAD every week. The older we get, the numbers drop off, so much of his newer TV shows were chosen to attract a younger buyer. I can understand this being commerce minded, but the words "sell out" come to mind. Either way, Mort has always been and always will be an artist who inspired me. If you like Mort's older stuff, chances are its not in this book.
on August 1, 2013
This is a hefty compendium of Mort Drucker's art as published in Mad Magazine. As a mature adult now, I'm marveling at each caricature drawn by Drucker. The special foldout poster featuring many movie stars is included at the end of the book; take it out & mount it on a wall!
on October 15, 2012
As a struggling cartoonist, Mort Drucker has been a huge influence and inspiration to me as far back as I can remember. In the first 20 pages this book has already brought back so many memories of reading MAD magazine and being mesmerized at the talent that was within. The most surprising element is to hear and read about the other iconic actors and film makers and their memories of being awe struck and inspired as well, e.g. Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, J.J. Abrams and the list goes on. This is an encyclopedia of greatness and every artist regardless of genre or medium would benefit from this book. If not to learn tricks of the trade but to simply read some of the funniest comics you'll ever come across, period.
on January 18, 2014
I bought my first copy of MAD in mid-1958 from a small country shop in southern New Zealand. I had never seen anything like it before but what encouraged me to buy more were the excellent, uproarious cartoons penned by Mort Drucker. I have ever since regarded Mort's works as one of the key features of MAD.

This collection of his drawings has confirmed his pre-eminence. My only disappointment is that some of his most memorable works, in my opinion, are not included.
on March 11, 2015
Drucker is one of, perhaps the BEST caricature artist. Period. If you grew up when Mad was a must read (60s - 70s), you know his stunning take-offs of bond films (scary remarkable "capturings" of Sean Connery, and hundreds more.

If you doodle, do caricatures, or are professional artist, you'll enjoy this immensely. Get a pad of paper, a good fine tip pen, and use Mort's style to motivate your need to draw. Absolutely fascinating to see a genius' work in a collection.
on September 13, 2013
This is an excellent book by one of my favorite artists.

It brought back memories of happy reading out loud laughs, something lacking in today's humor.

A must buy for the MAD aficionado.
on November 21, 2012
I started reading MAD magazine in the '50's. For its time, its humor was outrageously over the top. The artists that they had like Wally Wood, Dave Berg, and Don Martin were outstanding and they made the magazine a "must read" every month. But above all, I looked forward to Mort Drucker's artistry. Frequently paired with writer Frank Jacobs they created some parodies that I read until the pages of my magazine fell apart. When I discovered this book I knew I had to have it. The work itself is timeless even though some of the humor was distinctly topical (e.g., a "Cold War" parody of "West Side Story"). The amazing thing was how quickly the memories came back to me. The musical parody of James Bond ("007, the musical") was always a classic and I was proud of myself for remembering most of the music and lyrics. I don't know if any artist today is in Mr. Drucker's class when it comes to the art of caricature. His ability to capture facial features and then add expressions that reveal their personalities amazes me. If you enjoyed his work over the years, or tried to copy what he did (like I did...poorly), or want to understand what made MAD a successful humor publication for the ages, I highly recommend acquiring this book.
on April 2, 2014
A fine collection of some of Mort Drucker's best works.
This book contains drawings by the master caricaturist of all time. His artwork is amazing. I was reading Mad back when this stuff first came out and it is still great today.