5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, AWESOME release quality! I'd rate this 6 stars.
Published on October 7, 2004 by Twiddles42

2.0 out of 5 stars Wait for Season 2, I wish I did
If you had asked me, I would have said I was watching MadTV from the first episode and hung with it off and on for many years. There are several very funny sketches from that first season I remember fondly, especially Dixie Wentworth, Dentist in a Box, the OJ bloopers video and an Artie Lange putting his parents out to pasture skit that ranks as my favorite one ever...
Published on July 16, 2008 by J. C Clark

5.0 out of 5 stars Great show, AWESOME release quality! I'd rate this 6 stars., October 7, 2004
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
19 hour long episodes, one three double-sided/dual-layer discs, at a reasonable price that's not out to fleece the customers, unlike so many other season sets of hour-long shows (or, indeed, the multitude of half-hour shows where they stuff 8, 9, or 10 half-hour episodes on a single-sided/single-layer disc and look like crap and have the unmitigated audacity to sell for the same ~$33 price.)

Not just that, the bloopers and 200th episode extras were a great joy to watch, as were the 'best of' clips and unreleased skits. Not to forget knowing that Warner Bros (the distributer) has enough faith to announce on disc 3 that season 2 will be coming!!

These episodes look and sound great as well (how could they not?)

No other TV show has been given this excellent level of treatment on DVD, and MadTV itself is a worthy enough of a show (at least to me).

Big kudos to Warner Bros on the quality of this release! Now if only they would release their 'Doctor Who' titles in dual-layer. :-)

While I tend to look more at disc quality, I should say something about the show's quality. MadTV was FOX's latest attempt (1995) to create an edgy show, after In Living Color was put to sleep and The Edge not meeting expectations. Many skits are brash and envelope pushing, but only in a good way. (okay, some are distasteful, as is typical for the genre, but most will leave you with a smile on your face.)

The show also has a modern day feel to Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In (1968). Naturally, as Laugh-In paved the way for all subsequent skit shows, including Saturday Night Live. (Indeed, Lorne Michaels of SNL fame started with Laugh-In as well.)

Standout actors are Orlando Jones, Debra Wilson, and Nicole Sullivan, but there's not a bad actor of the bunch.

Am looking forward to seeing more seasons released, hopefully with the same amount of quality and extras put into them!

4.0 out of 5 stars The beginning, January 8, 2005
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
When Mad TV premiered on Fox in 1995, it provided a great alternative to a then duller than usual Saturday Night Live. While there are a number of skits that are as equally dull on this first season set, Mad TV made a name for itself with it's scathing and irreverant sense of humor and parodies of commercials and general pop culture. While the first season's cast didn't feature many of the familiar and hilarious faces that fans of the show would come to love (Michael MacDonald, Alex Borstein, Mo Colins, Aries Spears, and Stephanie Weir would come in later seasons), it did feature some breakout talent like comedians Orlando Jones and Phil LaMar, Howard Stern sidekick Artie Lange, fan favorites Nicole Sullivan and Debra Wilson, and Office Space's David Herman. Dull moments aside, the cast mostly does some great work, and the claymation and animation shorts are laugh out loud hilarious. All in all, longtime fans of the series will want to check this out for a nostalgia trip down memory lane, and new viewers will want to give this a look as well to see where it all began.

5.0 out of 5 stars You are now watching Mad T...V... MAD!, December 10, 2006
Michael Gmirkin (Beaverton, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
It's rude, it's crude, it's utterly insane and hilarious! Like others, I saw this when it first aired and laughed my hindquarters off... However, I worried that the DVD treatment would be poor or that it wouldn't stack up as well as I'd remembered it.

Mercifully, I was not disappointed at all. Even from the first episode, I was laughing myself silly, and feeling guilty about it the whole time (it's a very guilty pleasure). Some of the sketches were a bit off-color, or off-kilter (I've only gotten through a couple so far, since it just got here last week), but for the most part it was on par with the best of Saturday Night Live. It's a great pop-culture send-up. Some of the material is dated, but that happens with any semi-topical show dealing with then-current events.

Still, the picture and music is good, it's got all the original lead-ins and lead outs (going from/to commercial and back), and music, and some special features to boot.

Fan-freakin'-tastic! And the price is right (appx $9 on sale over the holidays; can't beat that for a full season release)!

Now, if they'll just start releasing the other seasons! Perhaps, in the meanwhile, I'll hop over to In Living Color for a while, and catch up on my vintage comedy...

----------

Addendum:
Forgot to mention packaging, so heere goes. It's pretty attractively packaged. However, I'll add the caveat that they used double-sided discs, which I'm NOT a fan of. An extra side to try keeping fingerprints off of, and to keep from scratching. I'd rather see subsequent releases utilize single-sided discs with print on one side and data on the other. It's generally more attractive, and less problematic, even if it costs a fe extra pennies to mass-produce.

I also noted that the clips used on the inside were the push-button-to-release type, however, sometimes pushing the button doesn't seem sufficient, and it feels like the discs get "stuck." A few Highlander fold-outs behaved that way too... Anyway, it's worrisome, 'cause I tend to worry about breaking discs or chipping the inner ring of the disc on the holder, which might lead to a larger crack forming... So, if they could remedy that on the next release, that would be good. Otherwise, the fold-out seemed attractive and not ungainly. Likewise the outer box was attractive, as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does live Saturday nights better than that other show, August 7, 2004
By the late 1990's, SNL had become too overconfident in it's capabilities. Because that show assumed people would tune in regardless, the sketches became mundane.

Enter MAD TV.

Inspired by the long-running humor magazine of the same name, this show does sketch comedy better than the forerunner. The cast of fresh faces look genuinely happy to be working on the show, resulting in excellent sketches for the studio and home viewing audience.

By far and away, Nicole Sullivan delievers awesome performances in her sketches. Her characters are so hillarious you are honestly not sure how much of it was based on real people.

5.0 out of 5 stars WAY better than SNL, November 13, 2004
s.a. huxley (Seattle, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Saturday Night Live pioneered the art of sketch comedy with its debut in 1975. MADtv first appeared on FOX in the mid-1990s, based on Mad Magazine and ever since people say that its nothing more than a badly-imitated SNL with far less celebrities. Whatever. I believe SNL has lost that essential ingredient in making people laugh: HUMOR. I can hardly recall any sketches that truly made me laugh my ass off, although some did manage chuckles here and there. Maybe it's New York's version of British humor, maybe its humor for adults, I don't know... MADtv has far more brilliant and clever writing. Granted, the show hasn't had many star celebrities visit its set, but it honestly doesn't need them (though it helps). Lately, it seems that SNL has gone totally dependant on its "What current famous star will be hosting this week?" roster and forgotten about trying to forge wit and hilarity into its sketches. MADtv has had an excellent forray of cast members, with some exceptions; Pat Kilbane, Andrew Daly, Lisa Kushell just seem like the last-minute comedians tacked on the list. Some left the show I think much too soon since the people in this category (Alex Borstein, Will Sasso, Nicole Sullivan) left a legacy of memorable characters like Ms. Swan, the Vancome Lady, and Sasso's hilarious and brutal portrayal of Steven Seagal. Some may say the show goes for cheap laughs, and yes, sometimes they do. But, hey, at least I laugh. The sketches aren't afraid to cross that politically-correct boundary that those liberal-idiots invented, with political satire, racial and ethnic parodies, and just overall fun. Besides, how can you resist a total lovable idiot child like Stuart?

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank God the Other Seasons Haven't Been Released!, March 23, 2005
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Otherwise I would be forced to spend my hard-earned cash buying them! With the other seasons unreleased I can maintain a healthier savings account. With the economy currently in the doldrums that's important! The rest of the seasons with Will Sasso, Mo Collins, Phil LaMarr, Alex Boorstein, Debra Wilson, Nicole Sullivan are currently unavailable on DVD so Fox needn't worry about any substantial decline in my bank account. I'm certain that's a big concern for them. Also the fact that I might spend inordinate amounts of time re-enjoying Spishak commercials, the Vancome Lady, Ms. Swan, Darlene McBride, Paul Timberman, Lorraine, and the parodies of Whitney Houston, Britney Spears, Prince, Michael Jackson(yes, I know he's gone), and all the rest of the gang. Thanks again, Fox!

5.0 out of 5 stars "STOP DEALING WITH PAAAAGANS!!!!", January 13, 2005
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
Mad TV is one of the funniest sketch comedy shows around. It's nice to see the orginal cast members again. Since the show probably didn't pick up steam untill the 3rd season, I wasn't expecting too much. But this DVD exceeded my expectations. The special featurees were "CLASSIC!" Although I found the best ofs extremely funny, I do think there needed to be more. Like the sng paradoides were funny, but I wouldn't the BEST OF. Maybe the best of the CURRENT, but what about "Real Lady mad TV," or the HILARIOUS "Keep Posin'"? Those were thre BEST OFs. but I understand. If you find the Easter Eggs by clicking on either David Herman or Orlando Jones in the cast picture. You'll find that there DEFINATELY will be a season 2 (soon I hope!) So, they are probably just saving some for then. The bbloopers were HILARIOUS, and the 200th episode was nice. Then, there's the actual show! First of all, we get to see the FIRST appareance of the favorites charecters like the UBS Guy or the Vancome Lady. I mean, the modern day mad TV is pretty funny, but it can't compare to "RUN DADDY RUN!" I think I speak for everyone who's seen this DVD when I say, season 2 BETTER dang well not come out like 2 years from now. Can we have it now???????? Because we have attention spans that can only be measured in nano-seconds. ooo look at that........... What? What was I talking about? Oh yeah, Mad TV. Anyway, I seriously recommend this DVD to anyone who 1. is a big mad tv fan or 2. has yet to see mad tv. If you haven't seen it, buy this before watching todays episodes. They're better. If you don't like mad TV, well...you've fallen helpless and are a hopeless case to something I call.....maturity. Ugh. Glad I never got it. Keep up the good work mad TV! And keep up the fart joke. ha ha ha....FART!

4.0 out of 5 stars "The best of" Mad TV?, September 12, 2004
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
The first season of Mad TV was definitely the best -- it had more variety (not just the same Rusty, Ms. Swann, old woman who clears her throat, etc. gags over and OVER again), and a clearly higher budget. If I bought any Mad TV discs, it would be the first season, IMO it is nearly unwatchable now. The highlights to my recollection were the very high quality fake movie trailers (ususally one each episode) where they would combine the premise of two current movies into one, e.g. one I recall combined a Van Damm move with a Woody Allen movie of the time, and what they ended up with was Allen running around a all-girls school accidently shooting terrorists as he looks clueless and spouts pseudo-sophisticated meditations on terrorists. My words do it no justice, you have to see it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Season 2 after Mad TV ends!, March 3, 2009
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
If Mad TV really does end in 2009, fans of Mad TV should deserve a special treat.

That special treat should be the Long-Awaited Second Season on DVD!

It has been over 5 years after Season 1 was released.

Despite poor sales of Season 1, Season 2 should be released after the show ends!

Please release Mad TV The Complete 2nd Season (1996-1997) in the near future!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave SNL a run for its money., March 8, 2013
This review is from: MADtv - The Complete First Season (DVD)
This was one of the funniest and most original show of the 90's, packed with hilarious moments, and a number of comedians who have since become very well known. Orlando Jones and Nicole Sullivan were my favorites, but by only a little bit, as they had very good company on screen and off. My girlfriend and her son had never seen the show before, so I got them to watch "just one". Before the night was over, we'd watched four eps, and another two or three the following night. There are some sketches that just don't quite work, but the cast is clearly having fun.

At the time Mad TV came out, SNL was showing its age, and had become distinctly unfunny for a couple of years, and I found it almost impossible to watch. Mad TV provided an alternative to SNL, which I think strengthened both shows in the end. The first season is more cutting edge, and reminiscent of SNL's first couple of seasons.

Some of the humor is not for kids! There's a reason this was shown late at night, and these are some of the funniest bits of the series. High marks for a very funny show, and a good set.

MADtv - The Complete First Season
MADtv - The Complete First Season by Bryan Callen (DVD - 2004)
$27.96 $9.02