Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

MAGIX Music Maker MX
Format: CD-ROMChange
Price:$23.79+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 14, 2011
Magix Music Maker MX 18

This is the swiss army knife of music programs. It works whether you're a seasoned pro or just starting out.
For the pro, it's a quick way to get your basic ideas out fast, without having to go through endless menus.
For the beginner, it is just plain fun and a wonderful way to get started with music.It comes with a wide variety of professionally recorded music loops which you can use to start making music right away. Loops are prerecorded real sounds of musical instruments or whatever you want that do just like the word loop! They repeat a phrase as long as you want them to. Load one and try it. It's one of those things that sound difficult until you experience it. Within a few mouse moves you're making music in ways you never thought you could.The program also allows you to record both audio and midi and match that to video.
One thing you don't want to do is get all hung up on using computers to produce music. I don't see it that way at all. To me it's just another tool
no different than any other tool. What matters is what you do with that tool. I've been using Magix products for many years and I find them to be rock solid.
I find this program to be very user friendly and intuitive. Mess with it, try everything out, have fun, you can't break it.
on February 3, 2012
MusicMaker MX is the latest release-update of Magix's consumer line of multimedia software that leverages everything from cloud services for acquiring additional content, to social networking, file export, publishing and now with the MX moniker - `media exchange' compatibility with their other software.

What has attracted me to Magix's line of multi-media software over the years is the intuitive nature of the software that allows you to get started immediately, then being able to drill-down to powerful menu-driven audio tools.

Additionally there are various synthesizer plug-ins for creating your own sounds. Audio CDs and MP3s can be integrated, remixed, or used as sound material. Even DirectX or VST plug-ins as well as MIDI files for remote control of the sound card or external synthesizers can be easily integrated into the arrangement. All multimedia formats can be combined with one another in any way on all tracks. The features and options are too numerous to list here so visit [...] for all product features and specifications.

I had no problems installing the boxed version of the software on my normally buggy Windows Vista laptop. When you open the software for the first, there is an introductory video to orientate you to the interface and basic functionality. The graphical user interface (GUI) is clean and modern looking without a lot of clutter that could be intimidating upon opening a multimedia program for the first time. But underneath the hood of this music creation program are powerful and professional quality tools that are easily accessible and applied.

I am a digital filmmaker not a musician; but music is a major component in my films, so I use Magix's MusicMaker to arrange music tracks provided by musician collaborators, adjust volume, EQ and adjust the stereo depth of the arrangement. Then I mix-down the music by exporting as a single .WAV file for use in my digital film project. If one prefers, a video file can be added to the arrangement so you can build a musical soundtrack that matches the video action.

If you are creating music from scratch, that functionality is the heart of the software. Besides basic instruments, MAGIX Music Maker MX contains many internal synthesizers for creating your own drum patterns, break beats, bass lines, or ambient noise. The synthesizers are represented either by internal synth objects that can be arranged together with other objects on the tracks.

MAGIX Music Maker MX includes a real-time mixer with a master effects section that professionally mixes all the tracks within an arrangement. The Mixer can be opened by pressing "M" on the keyboard or via menu navigation. Click on FX button in the Mixer and bring up a classic mastering rack (for a track or the entire arrangement) with a 10-band Equalizer, Reverb, distortion a compressor and time processor.

Magix updates their products yearly incorporating the latest technology into the engine of the software and social networking trends into the program's usefulness. As a registered user, you will receive a substantial discount for new versions of the software if you feel it's useful to upgrade.

I recommend this program to anyone who rather spend time making music, then figuring-out how to use the program. Be assured, your results will sound professional!
on December 12, 2011
As a hobby video creator Magix Music Maker MX is fantastic for my stoundtracks. I make videos for fun to share and post on the Web. As you might know, royalty free music is expensive. I don't want my video banned for using copyright material. Music Maker MX is just the ticket for creating an original sound track for videos. I also use it to sync special effects like gunshots, applause, storms, and other FX sounds to my videos.
I don't want to spend a lot of time learning new software, I then have more time to create. Music Maker MX does just what I want, fast and easy.
Check a video I posted on YouTube user name "hoshibud" "Magix Promo:. [...] The video took a couple of hours to create and render, the sound track took five minutes using Music Maker MX.
on June 27, 2012
I bought Music Maker MX to get some of the things that the free music editors don't give you and it delivered well in that respect, it gives you the ability to ad distortions with a virtual amp or use a already provided effect that is set up for each instrument, although it does not have all of the possible effects it still preforms very well especially when you factor in the price. You do get a lot of the effects and prerecorded sound bites along with virtual instruments, but you have to download a lot of information, kind of makes me wish it was included with the original software download.

The only real thing that I don't like is the lack of the declick and noise reduction effects, or at least I couldn't find them. Even most free music editors have these as standard, it hopefully won't be a problem once I get a good mic but for now these effects are well missed.

As the user interface goes you couldn't ask for much simpler. You can simply drag to place the desired sound bites into what ever track you want and even drag the sound bite out longer to get it to repeat, which saves a lot of time. It is also very easy to figure out where everything is and right clicking works like a charm to find the needed effects.

One of the best things about the program is that it requires very little processing power to run. With Windows 7 on my laptop (purchased end of 2009 for around $500) which isn't what you could call a performance computer at all, Music Maker runs perfectly, and the undo function reserves a lot of information so you can go back several steps in case you didn't like a change in the end.

To sum it up.

A good program for the price, very easy to use interface and lots of effects that can be applied in several ways. Also it runs well on a mediocre machine so you won't need a super computer to use it.
Unfortunately it does not include noise reduction or declick effects (maybe I just couldn't find them).
Also it comes with a lot of canned sound bites and virtual instruments but you have to download them and this will take a little extra time.
Introduction:

This is a powerful package of software that allows you to compose music, arrange or remix songs, or make background music for your home videos, shows, or other uses (barring license restrictions) I found it doesn't have a really steep learning curve -- within about a half an hour after installation, I had "composed" a percussion and synthesizer piece for some videos of paintings that I had put together earlier. As with many kinds of software, there are two learning curves; a shallow one to get started satisfactorily, and a second one, to get deeper into the refinements that takes a lot longer.

The MX basic package differs from the Premium package that is available at a higher price, in that there are more sounds & loops, more genres (including a film music genre) more templates, a better mastering suite. In addition, you get an analog compressor and synthesizer, a copy of Music Editor 3 that can be used to edit samples, and the ability to mix tracks in 5.1 Surround Sound, again something that makes this version more appealing to amateur film makers. If you are serious about film music, I'd suggest the premium package, but for most people mixing their own house music, the MX regular package is sufficient. You can upgrade, add loops, styles, and much more from the Magix site or from "Catooh" which is the German website where the software originated.

The styles include hip-hop, ambient, chill, techno trance, electro pop, minimal "tech house". You can add other styles (called "soundpools" that include percussion, vocals, instrument loops, drums, bass all tempo and key related) by purchasing packages from Magix.

Installation:

This is a download version; I downloaded directly from Amazon, using our FIOS internet service. It took about 20 minutes to get the software downloaded, another 40 minutes or so to install an upgrade plus a number of sound loops and extras that come with the package. The installation went smoothly, if lengthily. You can download the software again, from your Amazon digital storage, if you need to restore it after a computer crash. You can download three times using one license key; after that, you need to correspond with Magix.

If you are not certain you will like Magix, you can download a trial version that is usable for 30 days.

Using the Software:

I was able to compose, using pre-set loops, a very nice ambient percussion, vocal and synthesizer work with a repeating loop for part that is suitable for a home slide show. It took me a half an hour to get a pretty decent composition that would work for my video slide show.

I was also able to hook up an old MIDI capable Yamaha keyboard (a 15 yr old one) and use a new MIDI/USB cable and use the keyboard, loading in synthesizer instruments and play them on the keyboard rather than use the virtual keyboard in the software (I play piano, so I prefer a live keyboard.) That only took a bit longer.

The steep part of the curve is learning advanced mixing, equalizing and tweaking the sound using the editing portion as well as being able to understand wave forms to customize synthesizer sounds. Since I don't know much about sound and recording, I'm at a disadvantage. There is a lot of power, but I would need many tutorials to get to the point where I can optimize my music using all the features.

There are also video special effects and feature--presumably to sync music to your video work; have not tried it yet.

Reports are that version 18 (this one) is buggy, but I found it was rather smooth and if you are patient and do not try to hurry the process, the uptime seems acceptable. I crashed it once or twice in a few hours of use, which I consider average. (I've had much worse experience with some film-editing packages.)

There are some tutorials and demos. I didn't find them particularly excellent. You may find better ones on Youtube if you do a search. Also, there are some weird glitches in loading new loops and styles--I found some tips on the internet about how to rename the new loops to import them into the software but it wasn't info I found in the Help documentation and by the way, the organization of the software isn't entirely intuitive.

Since you can upload your songs directly to almost any social network such as Facebook, YouTube, SoundCloud, there is an issue of royalty and copyrights. You can't publish videos to public sites that contain music you don't have the rights to use. You can however, use the compositions you make with Magix privately, although you can't sell any of the songs you may compose using the pre-composed elements in this software. (It's possible to buy some licensing rights on the Catooh website.) In any case, for most home use, the software will let you make movie music for your wedding video, stirring drum background for sports, or fun stuff for slide shows and any other multimedia ideas you may have.

But if you compose house music for sale or public use, there is a licensing issue; however, you can purchase licenses of various sorts from Catooh if you want to incorporate their loops into your music.

Summary:

MORE FUN than you can imagine.

This is a very powerful music arranging and composing software, suited for home use due to licensing issues. You don't need to know how to read music but you will be able to compose songs, arrange and remix your own music fairly easily, within the limits of such a complex task.

System Requirements and Technical Details:

OS: Windows 7 (32 bit), Windows 7 (64 bit), Windows Vista (32 bit), Windows Vista (64 bit), Windows XP

Minimum Requirements:

Processor: Dual core processor with 2.0 GHz
RAM: 1 GB
Graphics card: Onboard graphics card with a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768
Sound card: Internal sound card
Hard disk space: 4 GB free disk space for program installation
Optical drive: DVD drive (only for installation of the box version)

Recommended system requirements

System requirements for HD and Stereo3D editing
Processor: Intel® Core(tm) 2 quad processor with 2.83 GHz or higher
RAM: 4 GB
Graphic card: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8000 series and better (CUDA) or AMD® Radeon(tm) 5000 series and better (AMD Vision/OpenCL)
More information about graphics card support
Sound card (multi-channel sound card recommended for Surround sound editing)
Optical drive: Blu-ray burner to create Blu-ray Discs(tm)

Formats supported:

Supported import formats
Video: AVI, DV-AVI, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MTS, M2TS, MXV, MJPEG, QuickTime(tm), WMV(HD), MKV
Audio: WAV, MP3, OGG, WMA, MIDI, Dolby®Digital Stereo, Dolby®Digital 5.1
Pictures: JPEG, BMP, GIF, TIF, TGA (supports scanners and digital photo cameras (TWAIN)

Supported export formats

Video: AVI, DV-AVI, MJPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, QuickTime(tm), WMV(HD)
Audio: WAV, MP3, OGG, WMA, MIDI, Dolby®Digital Stereo, Dolby®Digital 5.1
Images: JPEG, BMP

Supported file extensions (import)

.avi, .dat, .evo, .m2v, .m1v, .h264, .mpv, .mpg, .mpeg, .mpg2, .mps, .mp2, .mpe, .m2s, .vdr, .vob, .mod, .vro, .ts, .trp, .tp, .m2t, .mpt, .mmv, .m2ts, .mts, .tod, .mov, .mp4, .dvr-ms, .asf, .pva, .mp4, .mpeg4, .mpeg-4, .m4v, .3gp, .3g2

Supported devices

FireWire interface: for use with DV/HDV camcorders
USB interface: for use with HD camcorders, cameras, digital video recorders, and webcams
Video, TV, or graphics cards with video input: for digitizing analog sources
TV tuner and DVB T/S tuner cards: for recording TV streams
Optical drives: Blu-ray, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-RAM, or CD-R/RW burners
on July 3, 2012
This has to be, hands-down, the buggiest program I've ever used. It crashes regularly, tracks drop out for no reason in the middle of songs, and sometimes it won't even record. All this stuff might merely be an inconvenience, because the program itself is very user friendly and intuitive and would probably be fantastic if you could iron the bugs out. What puts the nail in the coffin is that Magix has possibly the worst customer support I've ever encountered. Their automated phone system doesn't work AT ALL. It transfers you to random departments (usually to a voicemail) and if you call sales instead of technical support, they'll tell you to call technical support. When you explain to them that you can't get through to tech support, they'll tell you try again. What I've learned from this experience is that any technology Magix touches, from DAWs to phone systems, turns to garbage.
on March 3, 2012
The program froze up the first day 3 times. The second day stopped working completely, I did repair, then modify and later removed and reinstalled the program, still did not work (e.g. you click on sample does not paly but you can still drag and drop to the track but the track does not play). I did not think it was user friendly when it worked for about a day (with freezing up 3 times), I could not find the bass key in the sample for example, maybe I did not know how but it wasn't intuitive to find out). I returned the product to Amazon and now down loaded the trial version of Mixcraft 5 and that worked great and decided to get the Pro version of it. I use widows 7 Premium Home version (8 GB of RAM) and my laptop is one week old.
on July 6, 2012
* * * WARNING * * * My experience is that this software is NOT properly rewritten for Windows 7 as claimed and does NOT allow edit of mp3 files as also claimed. I only bought it because of the good reviews on Amazon but....

I have a heavy duty WIN 7 system, 40 pounds of the best PC Dell made last summer. Super fast Intel processor, 12 GB RAM, 1 TB drive etc. It is equipped with AMD video (6770) specifically created to extend the desktop as needed to allow me to day-trade the stock market sitting in a cockpit of three 27" 1080p TV/Monitors. BUT, uh oh, just installing the Music Maker software destroyed my video settings, thereby rendering this PC temporarily useless ! Never happened before with any other software. After two hours of undoing the damage then rebuilding the entire video setup from scratch, I dared to test the software, egad. But it didn't blow anything up, rather it just didn't function with mp3s as advertised !

First of all, the help system in this product sucks. I'm sure it is fun to poke around in and it may do some nice things as the reviews indicate, but NOT when trying to figure out where to do what for a specific purpose - such as importing an mp3 file to edit ! After an hour of trying to import an mp3 from my hard drive (as opposed to different formats from a CD) I gave up and looked for tech support contact info. Oh goody, no email address, no phone number, just a contact screen which allows you to type in a message AFTER answering 7-8 hi tech details about the PC - such as exact processor description, exact video board tech description, and even the version of Active-X installed. I tried to skip those not easily found in Windows, but no luck. So I entered the easy answers and faked others not readily available in the Windows screens. They did respond the next day - from Germany - probably because my email said I thought the product was misrepresented and if they could not help me make it work I'd seek a refund from Amazon and write a review to warn others.

Quick Summary: We exchanged 4-5 emails because their first two short answers were totally unhelpful. FINALLY, they directed me to a location designed to import mp3s from a hard drive. NOT in the "Import" menu, mind you, THAT step would only import different formats from a CD. Rather, it is in a totally different location visible only in a certain mode. Ok, let's "import" music files from a CD but we don't "import" ??? mp3s from a hard drive. Oh, I see. Looked elsewhere they suggested, and wow, FOUND the right place !!! Yea !! So I loaded the mp3. It shrunk from 3.5 Min to 1.1 Min. Hitting "play" produced a continuous, rapid-fire loop of pops sounding like a machine gun. I ducked. Hitting another button which had a clear purpose (don't remember which) produced a thin red vertical line which rapidly moved from the start of the 1.1 min to the end and back in another endless loop until I hit stop. Or maybe that was the machine gun was firing at the speedy red line ! Ok, that was enough. I emailed exactly what I had tried and asked if I was missing something please let me know, else I'd conclude it was not designed to run on Win7. Nary another peep did I hear from them. So I'm keeping my word here.

I don't think I'm the first to want to have a "chat" with these folks.. They obviously do not want to be contacted ! No address, no email, no phone, just an obstacle course to negotiate in order to email them from within their own software. Probably a minimum government requirement over there. But perhaps the Amazon name motivated them to at least send a few basic steps which didn't work anyhow.

I've written this before uninstalling the software - concerned the uninstall might blow up the video again and wanting to get this review filed beforehand. Plus, it's late on a Friday, I'm hungry, and if it blows up tonight I'll leave it that way unil tomorrow.

* * * BUYER BEWARE * * * and that's all I can do.
on May 1, 2012
I installed the download version, which was very easy and straightforward.

There a lot of reviews already, so I'll share some details:

You get a nice selection of sound pools included, but they have to be downloaded and installed. Go to Help and select the option to get free content. It will open a website where you download the extras. Then simply run the installers and you get several samplers, drum machines, sound pools, demonstration projects, tutorials, etc. Very cool.

Another important point is to change to "expert display" mode. The default "easy" display is way too limited and you can't find things you need to get your project happening. Expert display has it all there, so don't mess around with Easy display.

The program includes Goya burnR, an excellent program for burning CD/DVDs on your computer. I needed to burn a couple files to CD (something I haven't done in a long time) and I couldn't find a program on my PC to do it right since my requirement was a bit more advanced than doing the Windows drag-n-drop to the CD/DVD folder. Then I remembered Magix Goya burnR, and sure enough, it did everything I needed with ease and no problems. That program itself is worth the money I paid for Music Maker; seriously.

Do not underestimate the important of using a good computer. Music Maker MX is a Windows program, so your PC must be as powerful as you can afford. Get 3 Gigs of RAM, absolutely. Get a graphics adapter to take the video load off the CPU. If you will be using only sound pools and midi then an audio card isn't necessary. However, if you will be recording live, analog audio (voice or guitar) into your computer, get a quality sound card, or get a USB interface. The sound card integrated into a motherboard is notoriously noisy.

If all of that scares you, just do some research, but remember, this isn't specific to Magix Music Maker. A powerful PC is a must for any software program that processess audio and especially video.

Lastly, if you're wondering about where Music Maker falls in the Magix catalog, it's between Movie Edit Pro (MEP) and Samplitude Sound Studio. MEP edits movies, but not so good for recording songs (good for simple voice overs, not complex mixes)

Samplitude Sound Studio is great for recording music live and supports sound pools, but no video editing (has more traditional recording layout, more control on each track. Subtle difference in MM, simpler layout on each track, but can do pretty much the same things.)

To get the functionality of Music Maker, you would have to purchase both MEP and Samplitude Sound Studio, however, both MEP and Samplitude are designed for more professional, high-end projects. For simple projects and especially for non-musician musician type people, go with Music Maker MX.

Music Maker MX will import certain audio and video formats, so for those camcorder projects where you want to add special effects, voice overs, or create a symphony orchestra sound track, this is the program to get.
on October 17, 2014
Can't decide between a 2 or 3 star....it came, it loaded ok on my computer, but the second time I used it it froze up my computer, and the third time too. It is NOT very user friendly. I have gone into the help menu -which throws you into the internet- I also downloaded the PDF Help, and read through that-no real help there on my issues. I really wanted to burn multiple "projects" onto one cd, all "projects" were simple one track 2 minute recordings, but couldn't figure it out, the help only tried to refer me to the "upgrade premier version" to be able to 'get a (better) burning program with more features (?really?). There were no step by step instructions on how to burn with this version. The really upsetting thing is, I paid for this product-$20, and I downloaded a better product for free. With my issue on the burner program and MAGIX wanting more money to get better features, after buying this version, it really makes me feel let down. I would not recommend this product, unless you want to spend a lot of time figuring it out, and being pushed to upgrade to get some of the features that should have been included in this version.