Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Fifth Harmony Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer bighero bighero bighero  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

on September 21, 2007
The construction and quality is what you'd expect from a Maglite with a solid and durable aluminum body and rubber gaskets inside to keep out dirt and water. The grip is also nicely textured to keep the flashlight from slipping out of your hand.

Light output is excellent with a bright, white beam and good throw distance. The reflector has been redesigned from the 2AA incandescent model and eliminates the infamous Maglite "hole" (a dark spot in the middle of the beam) when the flashlight is on full flood. Adjusting to spot isn't a dramatic difference, but it definitely puts more light in the center of the beam which can be useful in certain situations.

Batteries last a long, long time, and unlike the older incandescent model, the light output doesn't decrease to unusable levels long before the batteries are dead but rather stays clear and bright until the batteries are exhausted. The LED is also considerably more durable than an incandescent bulb, and my LED Maglite has survived knocks and drops that would have required a bulb replacement in my old incan model. And while the LED version is about an inch longer than the old model, the flashlight is still small and light enough to carry everywhere (I always keep mine on my belt so it's always handy when I need it, which is more often than you'd expect!).

I have only one caveat: the flashlight does not have reverse polarity protection meaning that if you accidentally install the batteries backwards, you'll smoke the LED and you'll have to buy a new flashlight. Just be careful when installing the batteries and you'll be fine.

It might seem a little pricey, but it's worth every penny.

----------

Edit: A year later and this little flashlight is still going strong. It never leaves my side.
11 comment|63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2008
Love Maglite flashlights, only had one minor issue with this one. I don't normally write reviews, but wanted to share this for anyone else who has this problem. The flickering/won't turn on problem very well could be the tailcap assembly (screw off back part). There are 2 metal clips that need to make contact with the barrel. If your AA LED Maglite is not turning on, try bending these 2 clips out and make sure they can make contact with the barrel. Mine had this problem, and once I bent these clips out it has worked just great. I hope this helps someone out there.
on November 10, 2007
I purchased this light a week ago from Home Depot for almost $25 and it no longer works. Did everything Maglite recommended and still no luck. Problem is either the tail cap or the barrel/switch. Light flashes intermittently when tightening the tail cap after battery replacement, but once the tail cap is tight, the light no longer works. What a disappointing product from Maglite.

I just went to Sports Authority and found a Nite Ize LED upgrade for my old Mini Maglight and that has been working flawlessly. It doesn't have the same intensity or the beam focus as the Mag LED, but at least it works.

P.S. I forgot to mention the extremely poor battery life. LED lights are by theory supposed to last longer than krypton bulbs. Not so with this light. I was lucky to get 4 hours out of mine. This may have been caused by the problem mentioned above, but my Nite Ize upgrade has lasted almost 8 hours now, and no sign of wearing down.
on May 19, 2007
For a small flashlight, this one is great. It is significantly better than the non-LED version of the same light. The light output from this light is clean, focusable, artifact free, has good color and is about 5 times brighter than the non-LED version. The light still supports "candle mode" too. The flashlight is about 1" larger than the non-LED version. Light output is fairly consistent and strong for a over 3 hours. It is definitely worth buying.
on October 24, 2007
Had this flashlight for a while, used it only a couple of times and when I needed to use it today it would turn on and flicker off when I tilted it. Replaced the batteries and now it won't event turn on. Was able to get it to turn on for a couple of second by adjusting the battery cap, but won't stay it on, and I never even dropped it or abused it like I did with the old incandescent AA Maglite. Then after reading the warranty I find out that the LED is not covered so if the bulb burns out, you are left with a useless aluminum battery holder. Not on par with the Maglite tradition.
44 comments|18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2013
Annoying. Doesn't always turn on like it should, sometimes it will start flashing SOS while you are using it. I bought a bunch of these and sadly after a little time, they either stop working or become so annoying that I just refuse to use them. Maglite used to be the boss when it came to flashlights but in my opinion today, they are not even good workers.

It might help if Maglite could do a better job of supporting flash, dim, and candle mode (take the top off mode) in the long term, but for the short term, limited use - not too bad.

So if only for temporary usage, you'll be good to go with Maglite, as they do work great out of the hard to open package. If long term use is your desire, take a look at Energizer tough flashlights because they will hold up long after you throw away the Maglite.
on January 12, 2008
Had a 2 cell AA MAG for 25 years, and decided to get another one and stage it at the other end of the house since power goes out frequently in this area. I bought the LED thinking it would be 'much' brighter and more powerful. It's not. Comparing both, with new batteries and bulb in the old MAG, the LED is only 10% brighter with its whiter colored light. It does project a perfect beam without distortion and illuminates a bit better outside. Quality is up to MAG standards. Supposedly, the batteries last longer, but it will have to save a lot of batteries and bulbs to justify the cost. If you use it 'very' frequently, it may be worth it. If not, the old style is just fine. I do prefer the slightly smaller size of the standard non-LED MAG.
on September 16, 2014
I wish I'd never bought this. It was supposed to be an improvement on the single beam model. The flashlight constantly switches from high beam to low when you least expect it. The heft, size, and ease of handling remain great. And the focus to a tight beam or wide is also still great. However, next time I'll skip this type and limit my future purchases to the single beam models.
on August 31, 2013
I have been a Maglite user over the last 20 years. Seeing the silver color of this Maglite made me decide to add another quality flashlight to my arsenal. It is true silver (not grey like some other reviewers of various sizes of Maglites gripe about). It has a larger bulb housing than another similar sized Maglite that I previously own. I am very pleased with the quality of this product.
on February 13, 2014
Ever since Mag Instruments came out with LED versions of the Mini Mag Lite, they've really shine. With the multitude of different colors available there's no mistake in telling which light is whose. The conflict come in who gets which color. Fight nice, kids!