5.0 out of 5 stars I like Ginger Barnes!!!
Published on April 28, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars from Red Adept Reviews
Plot/Storyline: 3.25 stars
Published on February 9, 2012 by MamaSylvia

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I like Ginger Barnes!!!, April 28, 1999
By A Customer
I really enjoy reading "cozies" and Ginger Barnes is a fun new (to me) addition to my favorites. Ginger is a smart, witty family woman and I think Donna Houston Murray does a fine job bringing the mystery into Ginger's life and making the situation one that she would naturally be trying to solve. After reading "Main Line", I purchased the rest of the series and I'm looking forward to spending more time getting to know Ginger and her family.
This is not great literature, but no one is trying to pass it off as such either. It's a fun book for a lazy Saturday or (my favorite) a couple of nights soaking in a nice hot bathtub.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Sleazy Lawyer Killed: A Good Beginning, June 9, 2011
A sleazy lawyer is murdered, and no one really grieves, until Ginger Barnes realizes that the resulting scandal may result in the closing of her headmaster husband's Main Line private school. While her husband struggles to save the school, Gin throws herself into an effort to find the killer, an effort that will ultimately put her, her charming family, and even her beloved dog in terrible danger.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, June 6, 2011
This review is from: THE MAIN LINE IS MURDER (The Ginger Barnes Main Line Mysteries Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Ginger Barnes, wife and mother, is swept up in a murder that just couldn't, simply shouldn't happen on the Main Line. She uses her wits to find out 'who dun it' and to bring the bad guy to justice. You'll love Ginger, her household, her attitude towards life. A cozy to curl up with and enjoy on a beach or in your favorite chair. Good writing!

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice cozy, February 26, 2012
This first book in the series, is about the Barnes family who move to the Main Line where the husband becomes the new headmaster of a private school.

The mystery held my attention and was solved 80% into my kindle reading which is quite unusual. The ending of the book was much different from anything I've read (which was a nice change of pace).

The characters could use a little more developing. The book was well written with no editing problems.

I enjoyed this series enough to begin reading the second book.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars from Red Adept Reviews, February 9, 2012
Plot/Storyline: 3.25 stars
After a somewhat slow start (following Ginger around as she does her school chores and including the obligatory how-we-got-here flashback), the plot moved right along and held my interest, even when Murray pulled the old trick of revealing something to Ginger but not the reader. What annoyed me more is that I have no idea how Ginger figured out whodunit or set up the resolution. I don't mind it when an author fools me, and I expect side plots and red herrings, but normally I can look back and realize "oh, that was a clue, and here is where the killer's alibi was disproved," and so forth. At this climax, I remained puzzled as to what Ginger was trying to do, and did not find the result believable. Then the book dragged on for a little longer as Ginger worried about the consequences of her investigation. I will probably read the second book in the series anyway, as this one did hold my attention and I picked up the sequel free from Amazon.

Characters: 3.25 stars
Murray clearly understands the conflicting demands of running a family and supporting her husband's position as head of the school. But the continuous interruption of the storyline while Ginger cares for her kids or prepares meals, although no doubt authentic, do not advance the plot or make Ginger an interesting character. Kip is the stock obsessed-with-his-job husband, although to be fair, we only see him during a real work crisis. Best friend Didi is stock and one-dimensional. The kids are annoyingly authentic and an unpleasant distraction. The school characters are more interesting as well as more believable, from the sleazy lawyer to the super-efficient assistant to the ditzy music teacher. Restauranteur/donor D'Avanzo was an intriguing character but too Moriarty-like and not believable at the finish.

Writing style: 4 stars
Sentence structure was fine. Dialogue felt natural although Murray never managed distinct voices for the characters. Descriptions were erratic, with lots of focus on what Ginger and Didi were wearing, some house details, and practically no school description.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Easy Read, October 16, 2011
An easy and enjoyable read. The characters are nicely drawn and the plot holds one's interest. I purchased this ebook because I live in Philadelphia and I thought there would be a little more local color, but I understand the need to make the story accessible to all readers. This book is in the "housewife as sleuth" category; I'm a guy so maybe that's why I'm not connecting to it as much as other reviewers. Also, there's some unfortunate stereotyping. Overall I enjoyed the book, but am not sure I will pursue other books in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally enjoy this series, August 18, 2013
I have really enjoyed this series - I didn't stop with just this book and am working my way through all of them. It's nice to read a murder mystery with a female main character who's quick witted, really intelligent, knows her stuff, pays attention to detail and doesn't stumble around all the clues that she comes upon while trying to solve a murder. I highly recommend the Ginger Barnes mysteries to anyone looking for a great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed it, January 22, 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I liked the crisp yet detailed narrative. I was interested in how the mystery would play out and in the characters. Both seemed believable to me. Even though it's written from a woman's perspective, it didn't strike me (a guy) as heavily feminine, so it didn't put me off at all. I'm ready to read more by Donna Huston Murray.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lite reading, May 30, 2014
m w osullivan (Philadelphia, PA, US) - See all my reviews
This was definitely lite reading. A good beach read. The characters were relatable. Not too quirky or sappy. I enjoyed the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Main Line to mayhem, March 23, 2014
This family of characters, especially the mother, is one I will enjoy getting to know better in subsequent books. The extended cast of school personnel add to the interest without cluttering the novel too much. The plot was neat and solved just in time for Christmas. What more could you ask? A nice fast read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›