Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on November 11, 2010
I made a hot tub out of a 100 gallon stock tank, some insulation, and a small pool filter. The only thing missing was hot water! I tried a large aquarium heater, but it didn't get hot enough (94F). This solves the problem - it gets it as hot as you want. You have to unplug it and take it out before you get in, but it still stays hot long enough for a nice long soak. I love this thing.

Update. It raised the temp around 5 degrees an hour (plus or minus a couple - my thermometer has a duck on it). I forgot about it a couple of times and MAN was that water hot! The bucket heater lasted two winters of use, but not a third. Another review mentions this problem: now every time I plug it in it pops the outlet breaker. Even so, this is the best solution for the indoor redneck hot tub that I have found. I'm ordering another one right now (just in time for the frigid weather).
88 comments|175 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2008
I use this for all grain beer making when the weather is too cold to use propane outside . Normally it would take around 2 hours for my wimpy stovetop to bring 7 gallons of wort to a boil , but with the aid of this baby I can do it in 45 minutes , which is a huge improvement . Haven't had any problems with scorching . The way it is designed it circulates liquid while it heats it . For the price it can't be beat !
88 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It seems like everyone is using this for something different, and almost no one is using it to heat buckets! Sous Vide cooking. Baptismal warmers. Home brewing. Wet tile saw heating. I think Marshalltown needs to re-brand!

My wife is Japanese, and Japan's bath technology is so much more advanced than American technology we might as well be out in an old washtub set over a wood fire. Even the cheapest apartment has a nice big tub that you can fit your whole body in and a heater that keeps the water toasty. For her birthday this year, I assembled a few items to try to replicate a Japanese bath as much as possible.

I got this "MARSHALLTOWN Premier Line Bucket Water Heater" to use along with the Better Bath Deep Water Bath. This gives us a nice, full bath that doesn't slowly cool down into a tepid bowl of no-fun-whatsoever.

I was really nervous to use this "Bucket Water Heater" at first. All my life I have been taught not to climb into big tubs of water that have electrical appliances hanging out of them. I felt better after reading the reviews here, and realizing that products like these have been used for years without electrocuting people and farm animals the world over. It has a nice, big safety cable and I keep it connected to a surge protector just in case. We have it mounted so that just the heater is in the water, but the cable stays dry.

It works awesome. We fill the bath up with hot water (at least as hot as it will get until our apartment water heater gives out) then stick this in and let it heat up for an hour or so. The water gets really nice and hot--I like it hot enough that I am sweating sitting in the tub. I'm still nervous about hanging out in the tub with it connected, but so far so good. I take it out when the water gets hot enough, and that usually gives us enough soaking time for the hot water heater to recover and give us another blast if needed.
99 comments|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2011
This is the second year for my 4000 gallon (15' X 4' circle) above ground pool and we felt it did not warm up enough last year. Over the winter I looked at different ways to warm it up for this swimming season. After finding this item I decided to give it a try. I calculated the time needed to warm up the water and found that if these really do put out 1000 watts, then I could expect about a 1 degree increase in water temperature for every 10 hours of heating time. I decided to buy two. So far so good. The weather here is still lucky to hit the low 70s during the day and drops to the low 50s at night. Still between running two of these heaters directly in the pool as well as keeping a solar cover on the pool (last year we just had the solar cover) when not in use, my pool has heated from 60 to about 78 degrees in the first week.

A couple of items to note. First the instructions that come with this specifically say you should not use it in a pool :) Second, the instructions say that these should not be fully submerged, so I used a couple of noodles to provide flotation. Finally, I am running them on two separate circuits both of which are GFI protected and there is no electrical shock hazard. I can stick my hand in the pool and even touch the heating element without anything bad happening.
1010 comments|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2011
The heater on my hot tub broke right before a party, so I used two of these to heat the hot tub instead.

It worked great--they brought the water from room temperature up to 120 (oops!) over the course of a day (something like 8-10 hours?). We had to let it cool down a little before anyone could get in. We didn't want to leave bucket heaters in the water while people were using the hot tub for safety reasons, so once people got in, we moved the bucket heaters into 5-gallon buckets of water right next to it. That gave us a constant supply of hot (nearly boiling) water to refresh it with every half hour or so. We were easily able to maintain a ~100-104 degree range in the hot tub all night, although it did require a little bit of finessing.

Note that these draw 8.3 amps each, so you can't run two of them on a 15 amp circuit at the same time.
on July 17, 2013
We have an 8' plastic stock tank we use for a kids pool. We have about 400 gallons of water in it with a pump, filter and salt machine. We bought this hoping to keep the temp up at night so the kids could swim even in the early morning. We love it. We plug it in at night when the temps are expected to get down in the 60's. In the morning temp in the top 12 inches of water has been 90+. It gets cooler in the bottom 12" BUT after I plug the pump in and let it circulate the whole pool, top to bottom, is around 85. It has exceeded our expectations as a simple small pool heater.

Update 5-27-2014: Year two of using the bucket heater. Filled the stock tank pool two days ago. Water temp 55 degrees, I let it warm up for one day, which brought it up to 70. Air temp last night was 66. Put the heater in last night about 9 pm. After circulating the water this morning, water temp is 80 and climbing. Grandkids will be swimming today.
on November 27, 2013
First, Amazon is great. Good price, fast delivery. I have 3 of these heaters, bought at different times. They do not last a season until they short out or something. Anyway, when you touch the water and it shocks you, its time to replace it. The manufacturer should make a non-shocking model. BTW, I am not immersing it down more that I'm supposed to or using it some other wrong way. They work good but they just do not last. Buy 2 so that when it goes out you will have a back-up.
on November 23, 2014
My hot water heater burnt out and I live alone. I decided not to repair it. I use this plus a 5 gallon galvanized bucket and a rechargeable camping shower in my bathtub and get a great bath every day. Will heat 5 gallons up to 140 degrees in about 40 minutes. I then cool it down to 125 degrees. My electric bill went way down without the hot water heater running continuously. Glad I bought it.
on January 9, 2011
I had to have my gas turned off for the winter because of my finances. Since I didn't have hot water any more I needed hot water to just bathe and wash my hair. So I bought this bucket water heater and it works great! I highly recommend it! I use it in a five gallon bucket and it's been wonderful.
77 comments|54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2012
Bought this bucket heater for my 500 gallon Tilapia pond, keeps the water at 82 degrees in the pond and my grow beds around 72 degrees. Ordered another bucket heater for a friends aquaponics system.
55 comments|21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse