Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on September 4, 2001
Kit Williams created a beautiful golden, bejeweled hare, which he buried somewhere in England in 1980. He then created a picture book of his own artwork. Each picture hid both clues and false leads indicating the location of the buried jewel, and anyone was invited to seek after it and keep it for himself. Though the prize was found about a year later, the picture book remains one of the most challenging puzzles accessible to the ordinary person and is vastly entertaining in its own right.
on August 14, 1998
I've owned this book for many years - since I was about ten years old - and I still don't tire of looking through it and marvelling at the wonderful combination of story, riddles and art. The story of Jack Hare's trials while trying to deliver a gift from the Lady Moon to Master Sun is engaging - thrilled me when I was young and puzzles-within-the-story were (and some still are) very challenging. The illustrations are lavish - and, of course, laden with clues to the mystery within the book. I certainly reccomend this for anyone who enjoys solving puzzles, reading fantasy or, best yet, both!
on May 5, 2003
I have searched for this book, like some have searched for the jewel!
WOW. To finally find it. I was given a hard back copy of this book from my father in the mid 80's, probably the 87' printing.
What is this book about?, is it the book you've been searching for? This is the book "Masqureade" by Kit Williams. The book is now out of print, and the treasure has been found (and lost) so to speak since it's debut in the early 80's. Kit made this book to become like a world wide treasure hunt. The rabbit in the story is sent off with a beautiful necklace. A gift from the Moon to the Sun. The Moon has fallen in love with the Sun. But along the way the necklace gets lost. You are supposed to look for clues in the pages, in the riddles and find the hidden pictures to solve the riddle. If you were the first person to find all the clues and send Kit a letter with the details (all the answers being correct) you could go and get this necklace for yourself. You could own it. It was valued at [$$$] at the time the book was released. A year later the riddle was solved and yes the necklace was found. Although the story has a sad ending, apparently the people who found the necklace cheated.[...]There was also a later paperback printing of this book WITH the answers in the book. Since the jewel had already been found.
[...]
on May 15, 2003
This book was amazing! It was my favorite stroy when I was little and still is. All the beautiful and rich pictures helps bring the story to life. It's full of riddles that never end. The Masquerade was well written and keeps the reader coming back to solve the mystory of were the hare lost the moons gift to the sun.
on September 15, 2003
Artist Kit Williams wanted people to look at his pictures-- to study them intently. He found a brilliant device; hidden in the rich illustrations are clues to a treasure. The treasure has since been found (by people who cheated), but it is still fun to study the drawings. Small children will enjoy finding the hare on each page, and will enjoy the charming story as well.
The story is the love tale of the moon and the sun. After falling in love with the sun, the moon sends him a beautiful, gold, bejeweled hare, which she entrusts to Jack Hare to deliver. Jack loses the gift, and the reader is challenged to find it.
For the solution buy it here at Amazon.com But try it on your own first. Hint: Henry VIII had six wives, but only one matters.
on August 22, 2012
I still remember pouring through these pages for many an hour...desperate to unravel the clues hidden in the unique and beautiful artwork. Though the game is long-gone, this will provide much entertainment for the puzzle lover.
on September 17, 2013
This book is bizarre, bright, fabulous, and historic. I have fallen in love with the idea of armchair treasure hunts, like this book. There really aren't enough of them. I highly recommend this book, and I seem partial to the first edition, rather than later editions that explain everything, though that's nice too... there's something special about the first edition in this case.
on March 20, 1999
I shredded to death the copy from the library as a prepubescent. I have searched ever since to own my own copy. By chance, the very day I happened to read an obscure newspaper a year later (at 12 years old, any newspaper is an obscure one, in retrospect), and I saw a small blurb about the park where the jewel was located.
I recall the artwork was beyond compare. I hope someday to find such a copy.
on April 2, 2013
to describe how this book makes me feel. The artwork and the whimsy of it take me somewhere I wish I could reside always. It is just beautiful.
on August 27, 2010
It is a good story, maybe close to very good, but that is not what makes this book so wonderful. The craft and illustrations are more than excellent. Solving the mystery is engaging, vexing and great fun. Masquerade is as complex as one could hope for and the solution is so delightfully simple, once you know it.
This book is a masterpiece that has engaged me for years. It was the inspiration for my own book TREASURE Twenty One Paintings and a Key.

I have studied this book inside and out and it provided the perfect example of an artistic puzzler. Thank you Kit Williams for this amazing and inspiring book!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse